Quetion

How easy and expensive would it be to build a track only home-made car from the ground up(like pic related)?

Also, what are your ideas suggestions to make it easier?

Other urls found in this thread:

motusmotorcycles.com/files/v4.pdf
theoldmotor.com/?tag=cyclecar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is kind of one of those, if you have to ask it's too much/too difficult things.

I want to make one but have no way to bend tubes nor a welder up to the task.

24 maybe 25.......maybe 26

I have a friend who works at a garage(welds and does metal work) and he talked to me about this plan and so the works would be much easier as he's already experienced. But anyway you could if you have the right plans and sounds like you already have one with your sketch and we don't even have that.

Also this is the engine I think of putting.
>motusmotorcycles.com/files/v4.pdf

>asking on Veeky Forums
You can't do it.

That actually seems too much considering we plan to do a lot of cost-cuttings but still don't wanna compromise driving feel in anyway.

Just buy a race spec Go Kart

The whole thing will be one-off parts so I guess my argument really doesn't make much difference, but I'd get something with more readily available parts. Motus is a brand new company and who knows how long they will be around [especially with the prices they are asking for their motorcycles]. Maybe V4 from a VFR1200 or VMAX, or any I4 sportbike engine?

It's still good asking here because I've seen a lot of people here talking so much clever things on engineering and stuff.

Haha

I'm going for a while and I already asked my question. Thanks in advance for your input.

as an aside what's the most basic functional 'car' you could build

You're right. Their motorcycles start from 30k and the engine is obviously gonna be expensive. That's a nice reason.

theoldmotor.com/?tag=cyclecar

You have to figure out how you want to do your final drive and suspension. It may be easier to use a FWD engine and trans instead of a bike engine. That way you can use modified CV driveshafts from the car you pull the engine from.

just buy new kawasaki zx125s and take it's engine off and put it in your car and use it's parts to make your own car from it. I mean multiple zx125. Don't say I'm stupid, OP already said he accepts any ideas.
Also i heard they are pretty peppy too.

they can be made of wool lol

Surprisingly easy if you're willing to use components from other cars. The more bits you design yourself, the harder and more expensive it becomes.
This is why small-run sports cars are so expensive.

But with some aluminium tubing, a superbike engine, and a few wrecked cars to scavenge parts from, not so hard.
Of course, I like the idea of grafting the front of a small but well-handling hatchback onto a basic chassis, and swapping a bike engine in for more power.
It'd be FWD and slow around the track, but I bet it'd be fun to throw around.

The difficult part in a project like this isn't building the frame or getting the parts, it's making everything to work together.

That said, you will need to know about/how to do the following, among other things that I'm sure to forget:

Load calculations (wouldn't want it to snap in half on the first bump)
Proper selection of material based on the above (since it's a track car you'll want to balance weight and durability)
Complete wiring of the electrics; this will either be really hard or really easy depending on how much stuff you pull straight from a production vehicle*
Plumbing for braking, cooling and fuel (along with possible upgrades to systems)
Build and fine-tune suspension; choose appropriate shocks and springrates for final vehicle weight

If you want something like your pic you'll also need to learn how to build the fairings for it, aka work with plastics.

If you're going with a motorcycle engine you may need to redesign the lubrication system as the ones found on motorcycles typically aren't built to deal with lateral G's (aka oil sloshing to the side of the oil pan in a long turn, starving the engine of oil -> bad times ensue)

*Most serious projects I see just completely rebuild the entire wiring harness, this allows them to shed a lot of weight and complexity by getting rid of the 9 quadrillion sensors that a normal car has (airbag sensors, ambient temperature sensors, shit like that). They usually install an aftermarket ECU when they rewire the car.

here again.
As says, it can be really easy or really hard. If you just want to take a FWD engine and mount it in the back of a chassis/frame you built it can be fairly simple.

If you want to use a motorcycle engine that, as far as I can tell, doesn't come with any ECU, fuel system or final drive it's going to be a lot of work. Not impossible, of course, but a lot of work.

I'm not trying to deter you, I love projects like this and had plans to do one myself a while back but I just realized I didn't have the time at this stage in my life so I've postponed it.

I dont know what this book is like, but i have the guys one on a homemade buggy and it's pretty good. Might be a good start. Dont expect it to be that cheap though.
Why not just buy a race car instead?

Google Locost

Was also going to recommend a Lo-Cost. If I didn't have my eyes on an 818 in the future I'd love to build one of those.