Be me

>be me
>be delivering pizzas in a van
>earlier in the day spent around $100 on parts for said van
>later in the evening it starts raining like hell
>take two deliveries right before we close
>get to the first house, receipt says to call when I arrive, no one answers my call or the stores calls so I head to the next house
>windows are foggy because of me waiting at previous house
>go under bridge
>immediately hit at least 3 feet of water and van shuts off
>have to get van towed back to my house and then I go back to work in my dad's car and help close and get out 4 houra after we closed

Please kill me. I hope it starts when it dries because I dont have enough saved up for a used car nor do I have any credit for a lease.

How did you not notice a flooded road?

shit'll start up

It was very dark and all the roads were flooded. I didnt realize that it wasnt just a small puddle until it was too late. I normally pride myself on my driving ability but I guess Ill have to stop that after tonight.

Shit is rough OP. I deliver too and actively try to avoid all puddles or go through slowly if I have to go through them.

Yeah, I hope it still works because I really dont want to work inside the store but I dont really have any other transportation options.

Hopefully it didn't get hydro locked. You in the flooded areas in Louisiana?

Nope, just pure fucking Michigan. I hope not either but with the way my luck is, Im thinking that is probably the case.

I have similar luck. Car kept overheating last week and I got yet another nail in my tire. Replaced my entire cooling system except for the water pump and it's good so far.

Also fuck people who never answer their phone. What do they think we need their number for? Always wasting our time.

To be fair, the delivery that didnt answer there phone had been waiting for 70 minutes or so because the insiders put the pizza on the bottom rack of the heater where no one noticed it. At least I got to eat it for dinner when I got home.

Its okay op, I just spent $800 on a new transmission and told my manager to put me back on the schedule.
Its been 4 days and tonight my engine threw a rod

Damn, that sucks. This is only my third week working here to. It would be a blessing in disguise if only I could afford a new car or could lease one because there is a lot still wrong with my van, before the water damage of course.

The delivery life is rough but it's so fun when nothing goes wrong.

Its been about 5 months, the last one pretty much confined to the store as I looked for a trans. I have another (much shittier) car but I just wish I hadn't wasted my money..

Agreed, it's surprisingly good money if you work somewhere busy

OP here. Ive been averaging 40 to 50 a night in tips. Made 70 last saturday and 80 last night.

Wait until winter

That is if Im driving then.

Also I had a friend drive through a huge puddle and hydrolock his engine a few weeks ago, he no longer has a car to deliver in. I almost fucked my shit up twice, both time because of speeding through puddles I didn't think we're deep. Both times my engine almost died but keeping my food down in neutral after getting through saved me. Smelled like a lot of burning cotton, I assume that was the air filter. Its actually no wonder my engine blew up

Buy the cheapest, running shitbox you can (with 4x4 if you need it) I bought a running Subaru gl for $600 that really only needed a cv axle. Its still a slow piece of shit but it doesn't really matter so much in the winter. if you work somewhere that snows you can basically be as slow as you want as long as you can get there

>be me
>be doing a two week course for something
>just enough time to get ready for delivery work
>only spare hour at the end of night
>during second week the distributor cap wasn't seated properly
>zipties couldn't save me
>no time
>second spark plug hole is fucked, new one isn't coming out anytime soon

sorted it out now, but I had to use the boss' car. it's pretty much a top gear punishment car, clutch cable is tied together, just barely able to change gears, johnny cash cd stuck in it, speaker blown, too small, hesitates on take off. At least he got new tires

I know that feel, bought the cheapest 5 speed 4 banger I could find on short notice, complete shitbox, still ran fine just leaked a bit. sold it for 100 less than I bought it for after thrashing it for 4 months

>clutch cable is tied together
Lmao at least it could be delivered in, my shitbox has no brakes and is the most misaligned thing I've ever driven so no deliveries just yet

If I learned anything from Into The Wild, just clean it all out and jump start it, should be good. Worked for a Datsun 510, worth a shot with your van.

Kek

take the lid off the air filter and see if the airbox is full of water. if not it's just wet. if so it prob hydrolocked and is toast. if the engine did suck in water, pull the plugs and crank it to blow the water out then put them back in and see if it runs.

so how much do you bring in a week on a good week?

>wish I hadn't wasted my money..
You didn't waste your money. Either throw a junkyard motor in or part it out to recover your money.

Pizza delivery here while in school. Anyone else here find an amazing delivery gig? I delivery out in the richer white suburbs of Chicago, average $100 a night, 6 nights a week; and that's before my hourly.

>average $100 a night, 6 nights a week; and that's before my hourly
Damn, I was averaging like 50 in tips a day 6 nights a week. I work at the busiest store in my city but it is pretty getto
Good point, but it's hard to part out a car in an apartment parking lot

Where at in Michigan?

Only downside is that I'm driving about 80-100 miles a day including getting to and from the restaurant.

I feel u OP

>deliver for pizza butt in 94 Accord
>entire 4 way intersection in neighborhood flooded over with empty property on all corners and no signs
>need to turn left
>where's the road.jpg
>drive front end into ditch
>water seeping through the floor
>car's about to stall out
>slam it into reverse and floor it out of the ditch

delivering in florida sucks ass

>threw a rod
should have kept oil in your engine stupid ass.
>works as pizza delivery driver
>drives a shitty ass van
>still lives at home
where the fuck did you go wrong?

>riding down on lane road at 50mph
>old guy in front of me realize he missed his turn, slams on his brakes and almost comes to a stop, tires screeching
>also slam brakes and maneuver off the road so I don't rear end him
>car rides into waterway a couple feet deep
>no visible damage, turn car off as soon as it hits water
>insurance says since I technically didn't hit the other driver nothing will be covered, not even a tow truck to pull me out of the water
>have trucker bro pull me out
>everything seems fine
>5 months later 1,000,000+1 electrical problems
>spend hours every day tracing wires and cleaning sockets
>kill me pls

I should have just rear ended the old goober. as soon as I have most of the issues fixed I'm selling the car before anything worse happens

Yeah, 40+ hours a week will speed up the killing process or at least make you fix/replace something all the time

Been pretty reliable so far, I drive a '14 Fiesta SE with just over 61k on the clock. All that's been done is a bunch of suspension pieces a couple thousand miles ago. No major problems yet.

Them not answering sucks but it usually only wastes 5 min max.
I hate fucking assholes who answer, state they will be right out, then proceed to spend 15 min coming outside.

Eh if I drove all the way out there and they don't answer it's a real pain.

Like 90% of the phone numbers I call never answer and/or been disconnected.

>then they call me back many hours later saying "WHO DIS IS?"

>insurance says since I technically didn't hit the other driver nothing will be covered, not even a tow truck to pull me out of the water

gotta love insurance companies