Buy nice-ish car for my first car

>buy nice-ish car for my first car
>surprisingly cheap to insure given my age
>drive it for a year
>get this email a few hours ago

What the fuck is this shit? Even comparison sites are showing my insurance is going to be sky high too.

Did insurers decide they didn't like me/my car anymore or did something happen to car insurance companies?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell#p15461808
drivinglaws.org/resources/auto-accident/car-accident-claims/is-driving-over-100-mph-a-felony-offense
uswitch.com/car-insurance/is-third-party-insurance-cheaper-than-comprehensive-insurance/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I assume you're British, maybe Brexit is part of it?

Do you have one of those driving monitors plugged in to your diagnosis port? If you do and you drive like shit (speed, slam brakes, never signal, ect), then yes, your rates will rise.

Didn't have one of those shitty black box things, if I did I'd probably have had my insurer cancel my policy the day I bought my car with the way I drive.

Unfortunately I got into the dumbest accident possible a while ago which is no doubt part of the silly pricing. Even when I compare prices saying 'no accidents in the last 5 years' just to see what they are like, I paid 2000 quid a year ago, and now they want 3500 when I'm a year older, have owned the car for a year and have held my licence a year longer. It doesn't make much sense to me.

The only thing I can think of is my car is quite old and the additional year in age it's gained is the straw that broke the camels back before they consider it 'old and dangerous'. Struggling to find a year younger reg for my car to test this theory.

that's not usually how it works unless your car is a literal deathtrap and your insurance company figured out somehow. usually, old shitty cars are cheaper to insure because even if you total it they're only out a few thousand dollars/GBP/equivalent

In my experience getting insured on a brand new Fiesta ST is cheaper than getting insured on a 1985 Ford Sierra with 60bhp. Insurers don't like old cars.

Top laugh.

What is your postcodes insurance grade/rating/whatever?
It might have gone from okay to Jesus take the wheel during this year

Also I'm going to say the accident probably might have fucked you now untill its off your record. you might either want to buy a cheap shitbox with black box insurance or just take the bus mate

Out of interest what car do you have?

Have you taken your car to a repair shop/mechanic/dealer/anywhere? If so they probably reported your mileage that you underestimated.

Serious question, why is insurance so expensive in the UK?

Government racket. They have no competition. In the USA we have mandatory caps (SR22) on cost forced on private insurers. Just like their healthcare, it costs more in the end, they just don't realize it.

02 Audi A4 2.5 TDi Sport Quattro. I'm going to have to get rid of it that much is a certainty, there's no way I can afford to insure it anymore. Too bad as its nicely spec'd, runs perfectly and was cheap as chips. I'd spent quite a bit of money on it under the impression I'd keep it for a good while, that's all fucked up now. It's slow as shit by most peoples tastes but I really liked it. Even 6 months ago after I had an accident it wasn't going to cost anything like what it is now, I don't know whats changed.

An interesting point. I bought it with 92k, last time it was at any garage it had 96k I believe, it's on 103600ish now. I said I'd only do 4000 miles but that was clearly a naive assumption.

It's expensive until you're 25 or so. Anyone old can get insured on anything you like for a couple of hundred quid. Shit really.

>I said I'd only do 4000 miles but that was clearly a naive assumption.
And that is why your insurance rate went up. You "lied" about your vehicle usage. Now they know the truth. Same thing happens in every first world country. Welcome to your new true and not estimated rate.

Nope, they don't have a clue how many miles people actually do and even if they did, how are the random comparison sites to know (and so effect the price)?

Besides, it's just an estimate, Google it and you'll see they really don't care.

Bullshit. They report it to the carfax type agencies. This is fact. The insurance companies poll those companies see your mileage and find out true usage. Trust me, happened to me. Said 11k/year. Went to dealer. Rates went up $100/6mo because I drive 13k/year.

Tons of threads on this man. Do you think insurance companies don't have access to carfax?

>US
>UK
I thought they were different countries.

>Same thing happens in every first world country
Hardly. I don't have to supply my insurer with a spreadsheet of all the miles I put on my car because I don't live in an orwellian shitheap of a country

If it happens in the US it happens in the UK
Of course not, your servicer provides it to third parties. Where do u live user?

Anyone know if there's anything stopping me from doing this?

>buying a shit car I don't want
>get the cheapest insurance possible
>go park it up somewhere/set fire to it/drive it into a wall
>wait a year
>collect my 1 years no claims bonus

A good reason is insurance fraud will help you get any job you want

>road tax
>monitor plugged into the fucking car to check speed and other shit
>ridiculous insurance

How do people seriously live in the UK? Do you have to pass emissions shit too?

In my country, all inclusive of every possible thing such as full comprehensive insurance and registration etc, it annually only costs me $800 to have my car and insurance is the $500 chunk. How can little 4 cylinder hatchbacks cost thousands to insure?

>never had a black box thing on my car
>living in a ghetto postcode
>paying £60/mth all mods declared

feels good not being underageb&

>government racket
What

>Check insurance for an RX-7 FD3S
>£500 for 12 months
>Tax is like 100 quid a year
>All mods declared
>Can Decat and not worry about being smogged if you're friendly with your mechanic

Only bad thing about the UK is fuel prices T B H

That isn't insurance fraud mate

They need money to keep muslim rape gangs paid

Yes it is and insurance will say it is after they find out you're trying to game the system.

Wtf anons, how can your insurances be so fucking high? I live in Finland of all places where absolutely everything is expensive and the goverment regulates 110% of everything they can imagine. I pay 780€ per year for insurance on my car and taxes are about 360€ per year, that's about 990£ for everything on a Volvo S80 2.4T.

Logic stops you. What is your gain here? You'll spend more on a year of insurance than your bonus, and you'll also spend more in that year than you'll ever save by having that extra year of insurance on your record.

What was your thinking here?

>government regulates

Hmm, I wonder.

Insurance is only high in places where the government doesn't keep a good enough eye on prices.

Canada for instance: Ontario has outrageous prices, nearly as bad as UK, because no provincial oversight. Many other provinces have either oversight or outright provincial owned insurance companies, and their rates are generally less than half.

>Insurance is only high in places where the government doesn't keep a good enough eye on prices.
Commie pls go this isn't true whatsoever.

Id gladly pay that rate compared to the one I'll be paying in a couple of weeks.
>Tfw Brampton, Ontario.
>tfw any car would be still the same price to insure
Only 1 accident, 1 ticket

>make insurance mandatory
>don't cap rates or have any government oversight

If it wasn't for government """"""""""""""oversight""""""""""""""""" insurance wouldn't be mandatory.

>comprehensive for a sub 1k bong car
why?

only liability is mandatory. with good reason.

the creditors are who force you to get full coverage on financed vehicles. has nothing to do with the government.

stop thinking like a 12 year old

It's based on risk as well as cost of repair.
So comprehensive is often cheaper because 3rd party driver is like 'i don't give a shit if I crash'.

>So comprehensive is often cheaper
muted

what
is that bong logic?
is that how you concluded brexit was a good idea?

>be 2 years ago
>fleet consists of Frod Mondeo 2.0
>Jaaaaag S Type 4 litre V8
>Beauford kit car running Mercedes 2.3 diesel engine and trans.
>fleet insure
>£240 per annum
>fully comp

>yesterday
>insure single vehicle
>£350 fully comp
>same post code
>2 years older(possibly too fuckin old)
>no points on licence
>no accidents or claims

£110 cheaper to insure 3 cars than it is to insure a single Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 petrol

nah, i dont understand the greedy thieving bastards either

in case you need/want to drive a mates car

what happened in those 2 years m8, thats such a downfall

Except that it is. It's cheaper where it's regulated (or not required, such as your third world shithole).

No it's not it isn't insurance fraud at all, if you insure a car and never use it that isn't insurance fraud - you're literally giving them money at zero to no risk to them - they charge you a sum based on your location and how you keep your car that is based on the static threats of theft and fire/vandalism.

If you insure a car and the car doesn't exist that could be construed as fraud but buying a total, legally registered shitbox that's cheap on insurance and simply barely driving it isn't fraud and if you think it is you're retarded.

Nice 3 million syrian """"engineers"""" hope you enjoy paying any difference in insurance costs in tax paying for them to fuck your sister and live in a house on gubberment money.

And its perfectly good logic, insurance companies base their prices on a few things, the vehicle you drive, your age, location etc.

Going third party is a patent sign that you don't give a fuck and statistically third party drivers cause more at fault accidents. If you drive a £200 shitbox you can still crash it into a £200,000 ferrari if you're some dumb fucking pikey, or injure someone for £50,000 in hospital fees.

Nice European mainland education you have there that you can't even figure that basic fucking thing out.

Come back when you win a world war without getting rekt by BOMBER H A R R I S lad/

you alright there mate?
i recommend taking 2-5 deep breaths before writing a comment
you can't insure a car for more than one person or no one in particular in britain if it's not comprehensive? that's kinda silly

>I said I'd only do 4000 miles but that was clearly a naive assumption.
>Nope, they don't have a clue how many miles people actually do

They get stats from everywhere. Read this archived Veeky Forums thread for how insurance companies obtain information about how fast you drive even though you never get a ticket.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15406966/looks-like-oil-change-companies-sell#p15461808

My GM car has Onstar and it reports the mileage, speed, driving route to the company all the time. There's even a smartphone app to allow you to see where the car has been for every minute of the day. It can even see the tire pressure.

GM sent an unsolicited email to me saying that based upon my driving record as reported by the car (I always signal, never gone over 80, don't weave, don't do a lot of emergency braking, etc) five other insurance companies beat my current insurance company policy price. A bit scary. GM knows my insurer since buying the car I had to show proof of insurance. The reason why GM sent the email is that privacy laws currently prevent the car owner's name from being sent with the car's driving records.

I'm sure the insurance lobbyists will bribe enough of the legislators sooner or later to change the privacy law. Until then, we citizens should fight against our data records from being spread around.

A tattletale car can even report if you drive over 100 MPH which would be reckless driving in my state. That's the problem if the police are able to access your car data. Some cars broadcast that data such as GM Onstar. GM admitted that they do collect data even if you are not an active onstar paid subscriber.

drivinglaws.org/resources/auto-accident/car-accident-claims/is-driving-over-100-mph-a-felony-offense

>Can't comprehend why a policy would cost more if its inherently risky
>Can't comprehend how a relatively simple insurance policy works

Where in the relevant first world can you just let anyone drive your car?

Almost any policy requires you to state who may drive your car or who's cars you may drive and the insurance companies are intentionally vague in all this and there is generally reasonable use clauses so if you drive or damage something actually worth a reasonable sum they can back out.

Which is exactly how it is in the UK, you can have specific multiple third party cover, named drivers, policies that specifically cover you as a third party on other vehicles.

>>Can't comprehend why a policy would cost more if its inherently risky
>>Can't comprehend how a relatively simple insurance policy works
wat
you stated that comprehensive is actually cheaper than 3rd party, so any asshat that drives like a cunt can just get comprehensive for apparently even less, so the insurance company has to fork over 100k for whosever ferrari you total plus 300 for your shitheap of a car
there's absolutely 0 logic here
>Almost any policy requires you to state who may drive your car or who's cars you may drive and the insurance companies are intentionally vague in all this and there is generally reasonable use clauses so if you drive or damage something actually worth a reasonable sum they can back out.
top wat, for what reason do you even have a government, might just as well sign it over to the companies at this point
in germany you can just get an open policy if you want to, so that any one can total your car and destroy anyones property with your car and the insurance company still has to pay
and even if you get a specific policy that mentions drivers by name, your insurance company still hast to fork over third party damages and they can only sue you for what you owe them in policy costs
>inb4 moneystan not part of the relevant first world
>inb4 more rapefugee memeing

Comprehensive can be cheaper than third party because of who drives it.

And if you can't get comprehensive and your insurance company will only offer you third party it is obviously going to be incredibly expensive as you've fucked up badly enough to be completely uninsurable on certain cars as fully comp so third party works out more expensive

>In Germany your insurance covers everyone, unless it doesn't state that it does in which case it doesn't

So, it's just like UK insurance then? In that unless you specifically ask for insurance that allows anyone to drive your car, or for you to drive anyones car - and often this is only allowed for people above the age of 25 [identical to the UK] and the insurance company has to sue and legally prove that you broke the clause of your policy [again just like the UK]

>Refugee '''''memeing''''' when his country is destroying its own pet project whilst filling itself with a millions of low-iq active shooters

How many terrorist shootings, bombings and killings has the UK had in this migrant crisis :^)

What does it mean by 19.80% APR? You have to pay interest to your auto company?

*Insurance

above you did not mention any comparison between different drivers, simply stating that comprehensive is cheaper than 3rd party
and then you wrote
>Where in the relevant first world can you just let anyone drive your car?
which leads the reader to assume that this is not the case for the kingdom of englaland

further i completely agree that just accepting anyone is a fucking retarded idea, and it's effectively going to put an end to merkel's reign
however, i refuse to be a complete retard and vote for the NPD or AFD just because of that fact, or in your case vote for to BREXIT

>Do you have to pass emissions shit too?

Yes it gets checked on the yearly MOT test.

It has always been bad for young drivers here, but it has become a lot worse over the past few years. The only reason they charge so much is because they can, and people pay it.

Gets better once you have a couple of years no claims bonus under your belt though. I bought my E46 325i at 20 and it was £800 for the year, I am 23 now and my last premium was £340 for the year.

Also third party fire and theft / third party only insurance is a waste of time. Comprehensive insurance is usually the same price if not less.

no it can't be true
>Traditionally, third party and third party fire and theft cover were much cheaper than comprehensive insurance, but for many this is no longer the case. In the past, high-risk drivers (such as young drivers and those with no experience) would opt for lower protection in order to cut their insurance costs, something which insurers have now become wise to. Insurers noted that they were processing more claims from high-risk drivers with third party policies, and associated these policies with a higher crash
>>uswitch.com/car-insurance/is-third-party-insurance-cheaper-than-comprehensive-insurance/

Jesus christ, i.e. my W123 costs like 260 euros per year to insure (mandatory traffic insurance + theft, fire, animal, vandalism and towing costs as extra) regards funland.

Anyone that has your permission can drive your car and your insurance will cover it. This is why it's legal to drive a car home after purchasing it.

It is.
Insurance in the uk is pants on head retarded.
They'll roll a dice to determine your quote as you call them

Don't even.

I rear ended a cop car after 4 years accident free, got careless driving and my insurance went from 80 a month to over 500 cad.

How many cars you bought lad?

Every one I've bought for it to be legal and not just a 'get this shitbox of my land' car I insured it after buying it so that I wouldn't get pulled by police the moment after.

The EU is a colossal failure, just like Merkel and most of the European political parties.

>which leads the reader to assume that this is not the case for the kingdom of englaland

But it isn't true anywhere, there's clauses, you have to specifically seek to get insurance that allows people to drive your car and most often they have to be named. If it's anyone then generally its significantly limited in age and they sure as hell won't offer it if your vehicle is remotely close to a 'performance' car.

The obvious thing to do is not offer third party, and bring down the cost of comprehensive, since that's what the data shows is the safer option.

>inb4 third party goes way up and comprehensive doesn't change, still being slightly more than third party

Such is life in Great Cuckistan

>Anyone that has your permission can drive your car and your insurance will cover it.

False and true at the same time. The insurance policy covers you and the company reserves the right to refuse to cover any other driver. But it typically allows occasional task or errand running on your behalf such as they are driving your car to take it to the dealer or to an automotive service center.

My policy specifically doesn't allow subletting. That is, I cannot get the policy and then have my child use it for their personal use. In such a case, coverage by the insurance is automatically voided until re-instated by the company after evaluation by the company. Do you get that? It's the fine print that will crush you. I read my fine print of the full policy, not the short online version.

Why did you post this thread instead of calling customer service you sperg?

No you idiot, if you give it to someone to use you will be UNINSURED and FUCKED if anything happens.

And you can drive it home because YOU CALL YOUR AGENT IN THE PARKING LOT FIRST AND GET COVERAGE.

sux2b yurope
my gfs insurace is less than that and she have business coverage.

>Even comparison sites are showing my insurance is going to be sky high too.
>Did insurers decide they didn't like me/my car anymore or did something happen to car insurance companies?

The "cloud" (aka various internet-savvy automobile databases) was updated with your driving mileage and maintenance history.

Picture shows part of a letter someone else received from their insurance company explanation about rate changes.

>Do you have one of those driving monitors plugged in to your diagnosis port?

If you have Onstar, you can sign up at GM's onstar website to allow Onstar to update your online data for other insurance companies to look at. There is no form to durably remove that permission once you grant it.

Onstar also records how much you weave in the lane, if you tailgate, if you hit the curbs while parallel parking, your maintenance, if you use turn signals or not, and even if you "drive on the lane markings". My car has lots of sensors in order to provide adaptive cruise control, automatic parking, parallel parking, pedestrian sensors, automatic emergency braking, and automatic lane correction where the steering wheel is nudged to make the car drive in the middle of the lane if I am driving on the line or too close to the curb. It also knows if I drive without seatbelts.

So all that the insurance company could know if I sign the permission form OR if insurance lobbyists convince the politicians to change the privacy law.

>Anyone that has your permission can drive your car and your insurance will cover it.

The conditions for other drivers in my insured car must specifically be met or else coverage is voided. One of the requirements in my policy states that the other driver must have valid insurance coverage of their own that is equivalent to the coverage (or better) on my car. If that is not the case, then my insurance coverage is void while that driver is using my car.

Futhermore, that other driver MUST have permission to be using my car. Coverage is not granted to unauthorized drivers of the car. The purpose of this condition is to close one of the loopholes that creates insurance fraud.

>This is why it's legal to drive a car home after purchasing it.

Sorry buster. The car dealer would not let me drive the car until I presented proof of insurance coverage for that car. Sure I paid for it. But state law requires that the car dealer is not to surrender the car without proof of insurance for that car. This stops the uninsured car scam where the buyer has someone else who has drivers insurance come and pick up the car on behalf of the uninsured driver who is always going to drive the car uninsured. If nothing else, it at least guarantees the car starts off with insurance.

Just ran your car for myself.
19 years old, 1 years no claims, no accidents, best postcode ranking you can get and I got this.

I've received similar quotes for heavily modified SC300s, FC Rx7s (turbo II) etc. so you might want to just look for a different car that is cheaper to insure like a civic or something.

>Nope, they don't have a clue how many miles people actually do

You are wrong. Eventually they find out because you are unable to protect your privacy.

There are OVER thirty different database companies that collect usa automobile and driver statistics and monetizes that data.

OP here.

6 hours ago I was able to get an insurance quote of 2600, a little later I couldn't get one at all, right now I can't get one below 8500. I'm pretty sure these sites dump out random prices.

If you are looking in the early hours of the morning the prices are higher for some reason.
Try again tomorrow afternoon or something.

I'm using comparethemarket, at the time of making that post the cheapest was 8417, right now (having changed absolutely nothing) it's saying 8515.

Cheapest without black box is 10505, lmao.

>bought a new Scat Pack
>insurance is $121 a month

Feels good being American.

>add parent as named driver to cut costs
>say he works as a stock controller
>they ask which industry
>if I say chemical they want 9000
>if I say manufacturing they want 4500

Who knew people working in the chemical industry were absolute maniac drivers?

MAD SCIENTISTS

He's thinking the bonus is a flat number, not a % of what he paid.
EX, spend $12 a month for $144 and at the end year get a $250 safe driving bonus.

Is there a joke here?
That's higher than my car payment and insurance combined.

>I'm pretty sure these sites dump out random prices.

NO, you are using a "marketplace bidding website". It doesn't see all the offers. Many times, places that don't give a big kickback to that website won't get listed with first priority on the results. Or not get listed at all.

Therefore, every time that you tell US on Veeky Forums that the offers don't exist, you are inadvertently lying to us. They do exist. But they are not available to that site.

You need to go directly to each insurance company to get an accurate rate quote. The insurance rate you get from the comparison site might only last for the first 3 months and then the insurance company raises the rates to their actual rate. The fine print allows them to adjust rates as they see fit after all. The comparison site was just a marketing approach.

Not how it works at all.

Seriously how much is the car worth? If it is a shitbox, get 3rd party property only. Most people think their old BMW/MERC/Dung mobile is worth something, it isn't.

Third party is even more expensive in the UK. Ofcourse my car is worthless and if I crashed it, it wouldn't even be worth making a claim.

>Europe
I paid about 3k a year on a V8 sports car when I was 17, and you cucks cant even get a 19 year old diesel car insured for that a month.

Third party is like saying 'I don't give a shit about my car and I'm going to drive like a maniac'.

I'm 20, have owned the car since 2015, don't live in a bad area, haven't got any claims (at least thats what I'm putting in on the comparison just prove the point it's expensive regardless), no convictions, and have a parent on the policy. This time last year I paid something like 1800, which came to 2000 because I financed it. Today I can't even get a quote less than 4600, and that's before I add the claim I have against me.

I think something is fucked up somewhere but I don't know what it is.

Eurocucks are aids

What the fucking hell. That money could buy you a pretty damn nice used car. I wonder why the UK has such outrageous insurance prices.

just ran it with my deets. honestly i was expecting it to be less.

comprehensive was £200 less than third party only. you should try that.

Since this thread is kinda about insurance, any of you guys ever go through Allstate? They gave me a really good quote but I don't want to deal with them being shit if they are.