Car has check engine light on

>Car has check engine light on
>take it to autozone to get it scanned
>guy says its an upstream o2 sensor code, but before purchasing it i should take the car to a mechanic so they can tell me if its actually the sensor thats fucked or maybe something else
>take it to mechanic
>he keeps it 3 days and charges me 50$ for diagnosis, 50$ for work, and $100 for the o sensor
>drive car around for 2 days
>CEL comes on again
>take it to autozone to get it scanned
>o2 sensor code

FUck, why are mechanics such pieces of shit and scammers?

>paying a mechanic to change an O2 sensor
Jesus OP, I barely work on my car but even this is something I'd do myself

KEK idort

My mechanics check shit like this for FREE and then reset my ecu and i dont have to pay shit :3

I wasnt paying him to change the sensor, i was paying him so that he could check if it was actually the sensor or if it was something else

Which he couldnt do right

You live and you learn. Better luck next time OP. Every time I drive past my old scumbag mechanics shop i think about pulling out my CCW and doing a drive by.

Pic related, my captcha

MOAR

take it back you shithead and tell him it happened again so he can fix it right before you call him a scammer

hes not gona give me back my money for the sensor though

O2 sensor codes are almost always fuel trim issues, O2 sensors very rarely have issues. You probably have a vacuum leak, MAF sensor or a fuel pump issue, but the only way to find out is if some dude actually fucking knows what they're doing.

>car has problem
>bring car to dealership I used to work for
>mechanic friends tell me problems
>get car fixed for dirt cheap
You just need connections.

No, he'll try to figure out the problem for you. There could be some issue that keeps fowling the censor.

Use a burner, not your registered CCW piece, nigga

Do it yourself mang. What's keeping a highschool dropout piece of shit mechanic from joyriding your car, not torquing your wheels to spec or pouring chicken grease into your engine?

That's what you get for going to some random mechanic.

>Hurr I can't do basic diagnosis and repairs myself

>that dad blame mechanic he's screwing me.

You deserved it.

What your normie mind thinks is "dirt cheap" is probably a $500 repair bill for a job that takes an hour and only uses $20 in parts.

Not him, but for me it's $15 worth of pizza for any service.

>registered CCW piece

>registering guns

'cuck'

That's how mechanics work.
They're not magic.
Diagnosis is never 100%.
He did the most likely cheapest thing.
He's not eating the cost on it.
$50 says the dealer would have done the exact same thing and charged you three times as much.
Veeky Forums pretends that car repair is black and white easy peasy. But the reality is it's often throwing parts at it in our computer diagnosis world.
Dealers even have a list of possibility that they follow down until the issue is solved, and you're paying for every part and labor, even if that wasn't the problem.

>defending replacing an o2 sensor when seeing an o2 sensor code when any mechanic worth a fuck should realize that o2 sensor codes are infinitely more likely to mean engine running too rich or too lean
holy fuck bro, i get that people shit on mechanics for no reason and it's an underpaid profession but now is not the time
o2 sensor swap is a rookie mistake, it's not the most likely problem

honestly, with an o2 sensor code, the fucking first thing you'd do his hook up a scan tool and look at the o2 voltage and the fuel trim. If the voltage for the sensors is exactly where it should be, then you know it isn't the sensor

>one code for one o2 sensor on an engine with more than one o2 sensor
Not what that says to me, but hey I'm not a full time mechanic.

o2 sensor codes are thrown when the voltage across the sensor doesn't report what the ECU expects that it should, which could be a bad sensor, or it could be the exhaust reading too rich or too lean

A faulty 02 sensor will either show fucked up voltage from the minute you turn the car on, or wildly varying voltage that just bounces all over the fucking place. Step one is to hook up your scantool and look at the voltage output on the sensors for a few minutes.

It will be easy to see if it's a bad sensor, or if the sensor is tripping because the exhaust reads as too lean/rich. The entire reason you have computers in cars is to be able to see what shit is doing, so that you dont just throw parts at things

All it takes is a code reader and youtube. Should've done it yourself.