How do I get over my driving anxiety

How do I get over my driving anxiety.

I've had my license for 8 years and I still don't get on freeways, drive to new places, parallel park, Park forwards cos I'm scared to back out or knock into the car next to me, (can only reverse Park), spontaneous drive, use drive thrus.

it's really fucking me up and its my biggest shame. I stopped having a social life once I started driving because I was scared to be designated driver or go out to drive to different places on a whim.

I've even broken up with girls over it because I was scared they would see me as a loser scared to drive.

ive had this problem since I started driving.

even right now I'm dreading my nephew's baptism because I don't know how to get to their church and don't know where their reception would be and how to drive there. even though it is still going to be months away and they haven't chosen a place yet

it's very crippling on my life

Yeah, I'm kind of scared of driving, not because of my car, but because of the other assholes on the road. I live in Alabama and everyone drives like a fucking maniac. I've had a lot of close calls, but no accidents. I absolutely love driving when there are no cars on the road. It's bliss.

This doesn't excuse the behavior at all.. millennials are so fucking stupid.

how the fuck did you get past the driving test?

Is it driving itself or driving with traffic? If its just driving, make a playlist and go out on a night cruise. Little traffic, comfy, good tunes, summer breeze in your hair. That's the life m8.

the fucking retarded older miata community did this shit. Everyone in miata forums/groups called them out for this bullshit, and there was even a group of locals in the state that were planning to vandalize their cars entirely once they found out they drove audi a4's. it wasn't until some fucking thirsty idiot decided" hey lets give them a ride in SCCA spec miata, that will show them!"

I literally cant even.

>sitting on the powerbubble
triggered

not him, but for me it's the traffic.

having to get in and out of hard traffic, on highways particularly- when everyone around me is an unknown variable and possibly stupid, and I'm inexperienced and with a large car.

though my anxiety isnt as bad as Op's. its more than I just had a brake job and the brand new brakes are still a bit squishy before they settle in, which isnt thrilling for driving 50MPH in rush hour on the expressway

Driving with traffic can be understandably nerve racking, but basically make sure you're getting up close to the speed of traffic on the on ramp, use your signals, and check your mirrors and blind spot before merging.

My rule of thumb is generally if you can see 1 head light in the rear view mirror,. you have space to merge over. Just make sure you're signalling.

Just drive more in traffic. You will get used to it. Maybe try to drive during times where there is traffic, but not too much (early afternoon, for example).

Requesting more info about your pic. I think you gave me a Miata trampling fetish.

Easy fix for that, just study the route ahead of time. Plan your trip on google maps and follow the satellite image for every turn. Write the directions down if it helps you remember better or you can't use the app when you're actually driving for some reason. Maybe even run the route at night when there's little traffic if that helps. If you do your homework and know what's coming up before the gps tells you, it really takes the stress out of driving in a new area

Man up or turn in your license.

All this 'anxiety' is just weakness.

it's okay, not everyone is normal user

i was once in the same situation like you, though i was mostly scared that the other drivers on the road might fuck up
probably because i watched too many crash videos on youtube

however, instead of trying to just get used to it i embraced the fear
now instead of simply being afraid i'm enjoying the thrill

>powerbubble
It has to actually have power first.

I'm in a similar boat and I'm fine on country roads or single lane roads but still shy of the highway and towns/cities

Only way to get over it is to drive more, maybe get a GPS so you don't get lost.

learn how to properly tune your mirrors and seating position and practice maneuverability with cones until you get a feel for what the car does relative to what you do with the throttle, brake and steering wheel.

I was totally retarded when my driving teacher tried to run me through my state's maneuverability test and I couldn't do it until I got a feel for how to do it and watched like 10 million how to videos on youtube. Then I passed my test for my licence in my sister's big ass Lamba platform Saturn Outlook

I want to tackle do to into manual next because my current car is RIP and I have to drive my mom's van to work until I save up for a shitbox off craigslist and I think I'm going to go for a manual to force myself to learn how

Also something that stuck with me that my teacher told me when I told her about my anxieties:

The traffic laws are there for a reason, they are designed such a way to keep motorists safe. If you follow them your odds will be better for being safe. Be defensive but not so paranoid that you fuck up.

have you fucking losers ever tried any of this shit? Slowly work your way up. Quit being below beta faggots.
>vandalizing others' cars for a few instagram likes.
K, skanks.

Mfw listing to people just saying "get over it" to someone who has a severe anxiety issue. Is having anxiety about driving kinda weird? Yeah, but let's not judge here.

Ik it's kinda different but I used to have social anxiety to the point where talking to strangers and such was preventing me from getting a job and Making university really hard for me. I finally went talked to a professional and they helped me get over it and now im doing fine and even got a girlfriend.

While I'm not sure if there are any professionals who help with driving anxiety maybe some anxiety medication can help. Although I'm not a huge fan of the kind of drugs usually prescribed for such things they may be beneficial to you.

Being like this for 8 years isn't normal and if it's actually interfering with your normal life I would seek help.

Or maybe I'm over thinking the severity of it and you just need to take some driving lessons to log some more behind the wheel time. Idk

>8 yrs of driving experience
>overthinking
Yeah, no shit, tumblrfag.
I understand that people have anxieties, irrational fears. I have them. But this guy has too much experience and at this point is just being a straight up pussy. Nobody should defend this behavior, all he needs to do is go a little out of his comfort zone inch by inch. its ez.

I had the same-ish anxiety before my car was fully in my name. Assuming you have it paid off, fuck it dude, most car accidents are not fatal and if you fuck up, and you most likely will at least once, you have insurance for a reason.

If hitting shit is the big deal, the highways aren't going to be a problem, imo side streets are way more nerve wracking because fuckers more likely are driving too slow, changing lanes more often trying to get in and out of shopping centers and the added possibility of some dipshit bicyclist or pedestrian getting in front of you.

Highways on the other hand are just go straight and make occasional lane changes to get your exit, not complex at all, just don't drive like you're a mad man and literally nothing will happen.

Also who taught you to drive? Hopefully no one related to you concerned about your feelings, my instructor was an old ass dude in an old ass Toyota, with steering that felt like you were tightening a valve every turn. Looked him straight in the eyes day one, said ive never driven before and don't want to hurt anyone. He just said whatever and told my ass to get on the highway, and it was all good.

Tl;dr take T supplements pussy

this is what insurance and google maps are for, get a windshield mount, calm down