/hhg/ - Hot Hatch General

A thread to discuss about Econo-Pocket-Rockets. Regular hatches are welcome too.

>hatchback questions and answers
>post your pocket-rockets
>your adventures with it
>your problems with it
>what have you fixed recently?
>what upgrades do you plan in it?
>post anything hatchbacks

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Last Thread - Current Hot Hatch Star of the Week - Mazda 3 Hatch

>hot hatch general
>posts a Mazda 3
Uh

New Twingo RS when?

Regular hatches too are okay. Actually the 3 is one of the best handling cars in it's class. So that's why I posted it.

Just posting coz I felt like sharing.

Ford Focus RS power-train close-up.

Put a bunch of Corksport mods in a Mazda 3 GT and you have a very warm hatch. Should be able to get 220hp/tq out of the 2.5L with an OV tune and intake/catback.

woah

NICE CAR BRO!

hehe

SHINY AND CHROME

We can put stickers on a 3 too. Does that help?

>220hp from a 2.5L
Eh.

Yeah, stickers. That's totally my point, lol.

>Yeah, stickers. That's totally my point, lol
It had to be. Because the punto is a terrible car.

>multiair
>180hp from a 1.4
>terrible

>skyactiv
>it'll start knocking if you look at it wrong
>it's gud, I swear
lmao

Be delusional, whatever. I won't continue responding because I don't wanna ruin this thread.

I... I kind of like the stickers on the Mazda, a lot

The regular 3 would look better if it had that black lip in front and black plastic arches around.
Would look much more sporty and less like an angry fish.

That's pretty much why I like the CX3 better than the regular 3, even though the former is an hatch on heels.

>multiair
Known to be terrible
>180hp from a 1.4
Only with a turbo (which is known to blow up)
>terrible
Correct

>multiair
>known for its bulletproof reliability even with a stupid aggressive remap
>terrible
I knew this was bait.
Enjoy your N/A, impossible to tune, slushbox.

Are you even trying?
I know how to use a search engine

Great. You'll need it when your skyactiv starts knocking.

Wait for the i30N

>running on 87 octane for 5 years
>unlimited mileage warranty in some markets
>skeptics try to break them
>Germans disassemble them only to give top ratings
>engine is still best in class
we'll all just keep waiting for them to knock. maybe one of these years

Weird choice and comparison but Mazda 3 or Focus ST?

I'm actually thinking about getting a 2017 GTI. Never had a volkswagen before, I've read things preparing me to expect everything from the shittiest reliability/quality ever to the most fun commute of all time.

>yfw 2017-2018 3 MPS/Mazdaspeed never

Patients my friend.
We have all seen mazdas teasing and know how it works

This is what I've got.
Am I cool?

>MPS/Mazdaspeed never
pretty reliable and cheap car, but pretty poor hp even for its size, 8/10

hatches are cars for women and manlets.

The superior Hyundai hatch.

I'm getting a '16 Focus ST on Sunday.
Any advice on must have mods?

Yeah get a warranty on the engine

On the tranny too, after the dealership completes the recall service on it.

And poorfags who can't afford the MPGees of a truck or van or the cost of delivery service, and can't use their back seats because they have kids

No recalls on the '16 Focus ST

Which is a better choice, the Mazda 3 Hatchback or the isport? Planning on buying a new one but not sure which one I should go with.

Golf R or M140i?

Id go with the bimmer for the rwd.

Mazda 3 is better in the long run. Obviously an American car can't be more reliable than a Japanese car.

Apparently the chassis is shit and can't handle the power.

Is there a diesel hatchback with good mpg available on the USA?

I know there are on Europe but I'm not sure they're allowed to be imported to the US.
I ask because I remember reading about a ford fiesta diesel that is sold on europe that gets like 70 mpgs.

Mountune MP275

Won't hurt warranty

First mods should be a Rear Motor Mount and Cobb AP, upgrade various components from there (sway bars, intercooler, intake, exhaust, etc).

Buy an RS. It's the best mod by far.

currently an owner of a gen1 2007 mazdaspeed 3. Had it for just under a month but it's been so fucking sweet.

Any advice for first mods?

Pretty sure first mod is supposed to be fuel-pump internals but that might just be fore Gen2, and then maybe a Cobb AP/Motor Mount.

>yfw there will never be another mazdaspeed vehicle

Time to buy ecoboost boys, you always say it's mostly a Mazda anyway.

Focus RS

I think it looks fucking ugly for a start, and it's not very comfy. Sure, it's a capable car, but for the road and a daily it's not really such a great car.

It's not that fun, really. It takes too long to settle into turns and doesn't have much steering feel. It's firmer and faster than a Mazda3, but not much fun - and the current Mazda3 is not terribly exciting (I own one). The GTI's hatch space is also too short to be useful unless you put the rear seats down. More spacious rear seat, though. I wouldn't be shocked if the upcoming Civic 5-door was better than both the GTI and Mazda3 - still just a warm hatch, but I'm basically saying that the GTI feels like a warm hatch as well.

The kaleidoscope interior is offensive to the eyes, but the Focus ST is a lot more interesting to drive. I like it a lot more than the fast-but-crude WRX (the sedan was significantly improved but the hatch wasn't).

does the focus ST have a better reliability factor than the gti? I know nothing about Fords.

About the same reliability, but if something breaks on a Ford, it'll be a shitload cheaper than a VW

>try to find mazda speed six on CL
>it's a rice field full of landmines

Mazda pls I just want an AWD hatch
I don't want a ton of HP, just AWD and zoom zoom

TOO BAD HERE FUEL ECONOMY FUCK U

Don't die on me

So i've been eyeing this car as a city DD.

yay or nay ?
seems pretty cheap to buy, cheap to run, and they seem pretty reliable.
Most of them are low mileage ( between 100k-150k km )

I owned a facelift. They're great little cars. However the fuel economy doesn't match the performance so keep that in mind.

>b-but reliability
This is a hot hatch general, not slow cow general. Go be dumb somewhere else

I swear all gayzda fags are insufferable tards

>VCT
is that a typo meant to say CVT?

The focus st is WAY more reliable than any of the GTI iterations.

that a fact?

Except when the engine blow up

That's exactly what they want the casuals to think

>large sedan within less than a second of a hot hatch
Based mazda is based.

We still love you Mazda, even if you're kind of in a shitty place right now.

>be mazda
>say things arent going to happen
>do them anyway
Pretty normal for mazda.

Is this only a Focus ST problem, or does the RS, and Fiesta ST suffer from this too.

It's not a problem any of the models suffer from, it's just that they're aluminum blocks. If there's any tiny little thing that makes it past QC, it can't result in catastrophic failure. Every aluminum block ever made has this same "issue"

99.9% of the time there will be no problem, but when a couple publicized pics from a few individuals make their rounds through the interbutt, people have the tendency to assume it affects every single car like it. Just remember that media blows everything out of scale and has bias by default, especially internet media.

>literally almost a full liter of displacement difference

Yeah haha, what would that ever affect right?

>na
>200kg heavier
fordcucks forever in denial

>blaming aluminum blocks
Stop lying, shitty Ferd quality has nothing to do with '''''''aluminum blocks''''''''' . Everyone else seems to get them right for decades. Egoboom 4cyl and V6 are both grenading spectacularly, the 3 cylinder mainly just shatters pistons.

Daily gen 1 MS3 post

>Best gen MS3

One day mazda will deliver, and all will be good.

>literly not designed to perform on a track
>matches a car that is designed to perform on a track
Also
>FF girls car as heavy as FR toyobaru

Looking to buy a MK.IV GTI in the near future. I would look for the V with the better engine but that's slightly outside my price range at the moment,

Anything I should be looking for to avoid?

>Girl's car btfo's toyobaru
>Girl's car has a forged internals, turbocharged engine with direct injection
>Girl's car has geared LSD from an RX8 in the front
Yeah, the MS3 is FWD, but who gives a shit? Its fast, and handles nicely. The aftermarket is incredible as well.

>Mk4 GTI
Do yourself a favour and buy literally any other car. What could possess you to buy the worst hot hatch ever made?

It's really that bad?

In a lineup of hot hatches that are known to be a little numb and uninvolving, don't buy the most numb and uninvolving of the lot.

Also the engines are shit, the suspension is shit. Just everything is shit. Don't buy shit. You could probably afford a Clio 172 if you're yuro. Get one of those.

Problem is I'm murrican with a budget of like 6k

Save up for the mk5. You'll regret it if you don't.

Even if its the slightly older mk5 with the fsi engine?

So at what hp does a warm hatch become a hot hatch?

>implying it matters if its a sedan or not.
If the mazgay 3 would be in track, it would be alot worse than the 6 or ST. Fuck off

Just bought in July as dd with roush exhaust. Planning cp-e fmic, pedal spacer and ap next month

what lmao? my foccus ecoshot had 129k miles all modded and molested and not one issue. this was also an early my '13 vehicle...

the 2.0 un my fusion has held up fine for the past 50k miles with a bugger borg warner turbo and other upgrades...

stop talking shit, faggot

Nice m8.

Do Americans get the Renaultsport cars?

Nope.

Was calling the fiesta a girls car.
The 3 is faster round the track than the 6. Therefor the 3 is faster round the track than a fiesta.
Not sure why it matters since none of you drive on tracks.

Keep dreaming about the mazdaspeed buddy.

>being mad
Keep dreaming about being a race car driver little boy.
>mazda to release rwd lineup
>rotary development
>mazdaspeed development
These things take time.
But clearly the children here have no patients

>tfw no Tipo Abarth

>muh fantasy vehicle lineup
>never gonna happen the post

Every performance car that's come out in the last 20 years has, at and near the height of their media attention, gotten flak for grenadine. Aluminum blocks are far more likely to have a minor defect cause catastrophic failure. Minor defects are the things most overlooked by QC. Further, we live in an age where if a few people have an issue and manage to get it massive exposure, it's immediately taken as an average for whatever demographic the issue is tied to.

Performance car with aluminum block*
Grenading*

Yeah, remember those days when a single tiny turbo totally made up for an ENTIRE LITER?

Oh wait.

>tfw no fiat diesel