I'm in the market to buy a truck in a few years

I'm in the market to buy a truck in a few years.

What do I get?

F-150 or GMC 1500 or a Nissan or a Toyota?

I think a 4x4 would be best. But do I choose a V6 or V8?

I need to be able to tow at least 8000 pounds minimum and I want to be able to install an auxiliary fuel tank.

Help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4
youtube.com/watch?v=BTm2F4ysQrE
youtube.com/watch?v=2XkH4Ss8shE
youtu.be/O2MQi2cUORE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dodge tradesman has a second fuel tank already

ITS A VAN I'm talking about trucks lol
I'm fucking sick of moving house and using cars.

Plus I'm ready to bail out and go camping and not come back. I need to tow a pop up.

Not that user, but I would steer you to fleet vehicle choices that pop up here and there. You could also order a fleet truck made to your spec if you have the cash, or find one. I have an 89 f-150 4.9l I6 5-speed with dual tanks. It's old, but it hasn't let me down, and the engine is practically unkillable. The body will rust off before the engine dies. If you can find a well taken care of 97 F-250, you'll be sitting pretty.

My boss tows a big ass tow hauler/ camper with a 3.5L ecoBoost f150. Brother's friend tows a decent sized Pontoon with a new Escalade.

Personally I love the look of the new Silverado's, but the 3.5L v6 makes one pretty fucking fast truck.

OP here.
Inline sixes are amazing motors.

Is it better than a V8 though?

If it was diesel.

NOBODY has any input on what kind of truck is best??

I'm going with a 4x4 F-150 Supercrew.

Get the ecoboost and spool the fuck out of those turbos

the new 5.0 is a good motor, as is the proven chevy with a LS v8

the ecoboost will be a money pit in the long run

you'll have to search and see, but you might want to get a tow package; then you don't have to get a trailer hitch, trans cooler, and i think they come ready for a trailer brake controller now

1 series trucks (f150, 1500 etc) are rated to tow 5 tons or more, but REALLY struggle.
You want a 2 series for towing all day. the 800ft/lbs of torque will serve you much better

Used 7.3 powerstroke. Everything else is shit.

Nigga u dumb

The Ram tradesman also comes standard with spray-on bed liner and is actually cheaper when optioned with the V8 and 6Spd than it is for the V6 with the 8Spd.

>fca

I work at a rental car and truck company, and have driven all the major truck offerings up to the 3500/350s.

Practically, Chevy/GMC are the best option. They get the best gas mileage in the real world, are the comfiest to be in both cabin and ride wise, have the most features and have the best ergonomics (pedal position, steering feel, etc.).

Fords are a close second, and IMO are more fun to drive and be in, especially with the 5 liter V8. They have a good sound and are the most responsive of the bunch. And surprisingly good mileage as well. However the steering is extremely light and numb.

Rams are ok but the pedal position is awful, and the interiors are mediocre at best if you don't get the top end trim. Horrible ride quality without the air shocks as well. Hemi V8 does not have enough grunt I find, can not comment on the diesel.

We generally don't have recall or reliability issues with any of our fleet trucks, but customers do tend to damage the F-150s the most for whatever reason. Like 2 times more than the others. I think this may have something to do with the numb steering, but thats just a guess.

New generation import full size trucks I have not got to try yet. Last gens did not impress me much though.

I googled "dodge tradesman" and all I saw were van pictures....

Why are F-150s "the best selling truck for 30 years"??

In all practicality GMC parts are cheapest and everyone knows how to fix them.

Right now, F-150 is my first choice, GMC 1500 second.

I guess you're right about steering feel.

Seconded, GMCs are my personal choice when I choose trucks.

Somehow they manage to be cheaper than normal Chevrolets, even the SLE/SLT models. They are more pleasant to drive for long distances, etc.

>Why are F-150s "the best selling truck for 30 years"??
Because GM's sales are split between GMC and Chevrolet.

Good point.

I guess GMC 1500 it is?

What about Chevys?

I make the new F-series 250-550.
Great truck, lots of torque.
Too fucking expensive for the turbo diesel option with 925lb-ft.

Ecoboost F150

If you don't know if you need 2wd or 4wd and if you don't know the engine you need you don't need a truck but a Fiesta faggot.

You've decided a god chunk of what to get. V8 models would get you the towing you want.
Avoid Toyota. The frames are shit. webm related. video below shows how more conventional American trucks do on the same test.
youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

I would also avoid the F150. The aluminum body may sound nice on paper, and it's the safest truck out there. But the aluminum is so expensive to repair. It's 30% more expensive to repair a ding of any size on aluminum than steel. And it's also easier to damage.
youtube.com/watch?v=BTm2F4ysQrE
youtube.com/watch?v=2XkH4Ss8shE

My choice would be either a Ram 1500, a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 or a GMC Sierra 1500.

The Silverado and Sierra are the same truck with small differences between them. Personally, I'd go for a 5.3L V8 model. It's proven bulletproof.

The Ram 1500 is by far the most comfortable, most advanced, and well optioned of them. I would go for either the 5.7L Hemi V8, oor the 3.0L Ecodiesel. The 3.0L is a V6 but it's a turbocharged DIESEL engine. That diesel is also capable of close to 30 miles per gallon, but again, it's a diesel. It doesn't run on gasoline. I've seen too many morons shove gasoline into VW TDI cars and think it's fine. Diesel runs on diesel, not gas. There's your warning about the Ecodiesel V6 (which can tow your required amount). Beyond that, my only warning about the Rams is they don't have the reliability record the Silverado and Sierra have.

The overall price of the truck depends on how many creature comforts you want. They can range from low 20k's to well over 50k for a highly optioned truck.

Uhhh I've said before I want a 4x4. I live in a flood zone and the ground can straight up swallow tires at times.

The 350 engine isn't in Chevy's anymore, is it?

Aluminum doesn't rust like steel though, there is a plus side.

>The 350 engine isn't in Chevy's anymore, is it?
no. They stopped using the 350 (5.7) in Chevy trucks in 1998. The newer LS motors are even more reliable if you can believe it, and the 5.3 is equivalent to 327 cubic inches,just like the small block Chevy of the 60s

>ecoboost

Ecoboost f150

>Buying a new automobile

Why not just buy a gun and kill your self?

>I want the truck with the most technologically advanced engine available, no matter how unreliable it is compared to other models
You get an F150, you get the 5.0L V8 fucktard.

youtu.be/O2MQi2cUORE

The F150 is the best truck on the market.

>ecoboost
>unreliable
>"hurr durr muh lemons"

What even is an ecoboost??

Kinda have to agree.

>make and model
>no model listed

Also NOBODY mentioned if anyone even makes an auxiliary tank for F-150s... I can only find them for 250s and above.

I would get an f250 with a diesel.

Its not the brand, NA engines have always been more reliable than turbo'd engines.
>What even is an ecoboost
a stupid buzzword for ford's turbo

>Daihatsu and Skoda on list
This is clearly for Europe. Europe doesn't get the 3.5 Ecoboost.
Kindly fuck off retard.

As long as the engine can function naturally without a turbo and have a bypass exhaust in case the turbo craps out, I've not no problem with them.

Turbos do go crazy speed, like 300K RPM or something stupid fast so yea, if they aren't well machined and fitted they don't last.

I'd almost prefer a supercharger because belts are easier to change. But NA motors are best for laymen.

Don't get a v6. Is that picture to he canyon? It's built on a full-size platform and the 2.4 turbodiesel 4 will tow 7000 lbs go full size GM or diesel Colorado/canyon for 30 mpg with 7k lbs towing capacity

It looks like it's twerking.

Honda Ridgeline

>a few years

If he buys new didn't ford do away with the 5.0 in trucks? A good chunk of newer fords are v6 already so I imagine a for v8 wouldn't be as easy to come by.

0P here

7k isn't enough

>_> I need 4 or 5 ton towing ability

Relative to the vehicles lifespan a few years is nothing. Its like going on a few dates before you fuck and the relationship goes to hell a few years later.

I need a V8 or inline 6 that can tow 4-5 tons just in case

Have you considered....

Chevrolet Colorado with the Diesel?

Not sure on the towing capacity

What do you need to tow?

What is your budget?

New or used?

No diesel. Trained technicians still put gas in diesel vehicles and the repair cost is horrendous.

I need to tow 4-5 tons once in a blue moon.

That's all.

But one blue moon I might need to tow 5 tons a thousand miles. And I might need to help people move, tow cars from ditches(because I'm such a good Samaritan, no way I'm slowly hating the less fortunate..) and moving family members possessions when they can't fucking stay put.

Yea, I live in a flood zone too.

I need a fucking truck. 4x4.

50 bucks a week budget I guess but that's max.

>50 bucks a week budget
My dad's Silverado (5.3L V8, 4x4) takes $60-70 just to fill the tank (26 gallon max) every week.. You can't afford the truck

I was talking about pasyment plans. Actually buying a truck.

And gas is high where you live. Less than $2 a gasllon here

>$200 a month
You're not getting anything new. You can't afford it.

Depends on the down payment.

I literally work next to a Ford dealership.

I was told if I pay cash I'd lose money because of deals with the bank they use

So I guess I drop a couple grand on them and pay the rest monthly for a bargain.

I can do 100 a week tops. 75 would be easier.

I bought a 1979 F350 4x4 dually for hauling and towing, and I've got a 1984 Supra as my daily driver. I'd recommend buying two vehicles rather than dailying a full size pickup just because you might need to tow things now and again.

given your budget constraints, you don't want new. Just buy a used 4x4 1999-2006 Chevy Sikverado or GMC Sierra with the 5.3L or 6.0L V8s. It's in your budget, and capable of what you want

I thought that, too.

I want a street legal dirt bike for in town things.

Yea, I want new or good as new.

I need a vehicle that can go ten years no repairs.

I need it. NEED it.

>I need a vehicle that can go ten years no repairs.
SIlverado/Sierra
10 years old. It's what you want and what you can afford. Those fuckers can easily do 300,000+ with standard oil changes (every 3-7k) and transmission flushes (once every 50k), with corresponding filter changes every time as well.

OP here, thanks.

Its a big tossup between a F-150 and Chevy/GMC

You cant afford a new truck.