New Cars and their Adaptability

Does anyone here actually own a 2013 and older vehicle with that "sleek" design and computerisation of everything imaginable? Is it really that hard to maintain over the years?

I imagine these are being made more like laptops than desktops in that they leave no room to actually modify your shit and repairs have to be done in house or with a min. 2 year mech. experience. Especially with these North American orientated aut/o/m/o/biles, I can't even pop open the hood without a piece of technology raping my ear. I suppose it makes you buy a new car every 4-6 years, then. Or whenever the god damn lease expires.

I inherited a 2014 BMW X3 from one of my relatives and I call it "le casual car" since it beeps at me every time I start the car or do anything fun. It even has one of these 360deg cameras to help you park. It's neat but also removes feel from the vehicle.
At this point, I'll just stick to my 2010 Chevrolet Colorado that has half the amount of gears the X3 has (4 as opposed to FUCKING 8 fucking gears).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBbFxK5qQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd never want to own a car without a standard size, exchangeable head unit. Not because I'm an audiophile that needs his high end aftermarket sound system, but because highly integrated infotainment systems are where I draw the line of too many electronic gimmicks. I've studied automotive engineering and learned that a "stereo" integrated into the ECU network is a cornucopia of problems waiting to happen. From .wav files disabling your ABS to shitty code leading to catastrophic failures of the engine ECU.

This is exactly how I feel about modern vehicles and their over-engineering in general. Much like your audio system, I can't even put a lift disk into a modern Silverado comfortably without thinking I will somehow fuck up the suspension springs with the million other things they put into the body like 10 fucking sensors.

Yes, I absolutely despite the direction the industry is headed in. I appreciate technological advancements as much as the next guy but not at the expense of being able to perform routine maintenance myself. Every mechanic knows that electrical issues are the one thing that typically requires factory mechanics to deal with because of all the bullshit proprietary software and tools they have to manage it. It's nonsense that removes power from the consumers and ensures you come crawling back to the overpriced dealership over every little quirk. It's not needed and mostly in place to pander to the new liberal/numale/millennial populace who are all fucking idiots that can't do anything themselves because their beta fathers didn't discipline them and the androgynous society we live in just reinforced it.

Sorry I went on a bit of the rant but the point is I don't like it.

>It's not needed
Yes. That's the worst part about this shit
>and mostly in place to pander to the new liberal/numale/millennial populace
kek
>who are all fucking idiots that can't do anything themselves
tr00 and kekimus
>because their beta fathers didn't discipline them and the androgynous society we live in just reinforced it.
Well now I'm just sad.

Good rant. I'm gonna paster this on my copypasta (chef's only) folder. Mostly because if one replaces a few words, this rant can be applied to many other things in life.

The fucking feature creep never ends.
Im pretty sure vehicle design peaked in the 90s and now that they have run out of ideas they just add in random bullshit.

Vehicle design peaked just before modern feminism hit full force. Since then cars stopped being manly driving machines and started becoming appliances that cater to a woman's needs. Just look at all the parking nannies we see everywhere today.

That and the thing about the numales not knowing shit about cars anymore, sickening.

This is 90% of the reason to get a GT86/BRZ:
youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBbFxK5qQ
The other 10% is the standard size head unit. :^)

It amazes me that they aren't completely separated in hardware and software.

I own a 328xi with the iDrive option, nav is basically useless now but when I got it, it was pretty cool, has traffic notifications and would steer you clear of jams.

The update discs from th dealer are $199, I myself bought one from eBay years ago and never bothered to update it again since 3 yrs ago.

I no longer use the nav but the service reminders are very useful and has a countdown of approximate miles left for services. This I use a lot, also I check my oil level through iDrive and tire pressure, change lighting and licking settings. Sort of limited but it's cool.

The down side of iDrive is that if the unit fails, it takes the radio with it so you're basically fucked until you replace it.

Pic sort of related not mine but it's the same thing.

2012 dodge durango citadel. Has every option I could get. Love the thing and I've never had a problem. My other car is a 2016 suburban but it hasn't really had time to fuck up, just hit the 2000 mile mark.

I had an amp fail on my BMW which had this exact idrive system and it costs so much to get things reprogrammed into the "network"

Everything's becoming increasingly closed off because of the "don't worry, just let us take care of that for you" attitude every company seems to have.

Don't worry, just make your monthly payments on this car and we'll take care of all the maintenance for you, then when the lease runs out after 3 years you can just pick up the newest model and it starts all over again.

Don't worry about settings, we've dialed everything in perfectly for the majority of people.

Just use your appliance for its intended purpose, which is to get from A to B in comfort and remember to show off the badge at any chance you get.

>show off the badge at any chance you get
Looking at the first gen Twingo you could see the happy face. Now it's a fuckhueg shiny diamond.

>has mini half-suv
>buys a larger suv
you're either cia or a woman

>cia
Bane?

>shitposting bane again
Doesn't matter who [we] am

The real disaster is going to be 10-15 years from now when the software in the car is no longer supported and you'll be fucked if it stops working.

You're starting to see it with older cars where they started putting GPS in them.

>oops, sorry, we no longer update that. Good luck with your car, sucker!

And then people will be forced to scrap their car and buy a new one, or they'll just lease to avoid this.

If a car becomes completely useless when software support gets dropped, people won't be able to sell it on.

This means the death of the used car market.

since when did bill g8-enshekelbergenstein team up with EAgames to sell cars

>bill g8-enshekelbergenstein
>EAgames
Both pale compared to nvidia. Literally gimping older video cards with driver updates when new generations are released, GTX970 and the 3.5GB meme, and outright paying game developers to make their games run worse on AMD cards deliberately.

And getting about 80% marketshare because of it, so they won't even have to pay off devs to not optimize their shit for AMD cards.

Or Intel, who keep cranking up the prices on CPUs while delivering a maximum of 10% performance gain each generation because AMD has nothing in return anyway.
Intel, who got to their huge marketshare advantage by literally paying off system builders to not use AMD chips.
Intel, who added code to their compiler (which happens to be the most widely-used one in the world) to deliberately run code less efficiently on AMD processors.

>buying a 3-series after the E46
>buying the small engine
>doesn't have a dipstick
shit.

>AMDcucks
Enjoy your housefires and lolnodrivers

It wouldn't be as awful if I could yank entire harnesses out easily.

>housefires and lolnodrivers
Bit behind the times, eh? It's fried motherboards now.

But AMD traditionally has better driver support over the lifetime of the device with performance actually increasing instead of nvidias intentional software hobbling of the card. Never had an nvidia that didn't get slower and slower with each driver release.

Still buying the 1070 though. The perf gap is just too real.

nVidia was the one that did the "volkswagon" trick of gaming the speed testing software in order to have the best graphics ratings. They kept on denying it, but then they got too greedy and boosted the cheating values too much.

I have a loaded 2015 IS350 F-Sport. Lexus did a good job at keeping the luxuries separate from the driving experience. My car has a bunch of new age shit like dynamic cruise control, blind spot monitors, cross traffic alert, etc. But the way Lexus did it was so that it doesn't interfere with how you wanna drive (e.g. it doesn't brake for me automatically if I'm gonna hit something, or steer for me if I drift out of lane). So far it's been reliable, but it's only been like a year.

I think that my car is also a good example of how you could use technology to make the car better. In normal mode, it's docile and good for daily driving, but once it's in sport+, the steering gets heavier, the throttle response tightens, the suspension tightens, and the transmission becomes fast and aggressive. It feels like a different car. Oh and Lexus got the electric steering right in both weighting and feel, which is something I definitely can't say about the 340i.

That is the jewishness of BMW, every little electronic thing has to be coded to the car or it won't work, to stop you doing things yourself.

They do look nice though.

Wife drives the suburban. I drive the durango. So we both have space for the kids.

>20 years from now

>laugh at everyones bricked cars while i hoon my 50 year old shitbox

who am i kidding, they'll probably ban every car made before 2010 by then

>we both have space for the kids
I bet you both have uteruses too.

Are there any new cars say 2010+ that are built more mechanical than electrical?

is english not your first language or do you not understand what a car is?

And large v8s that not only get 22-24 miles a gallon, but could probably smoke most other DDs on this board

Mercedes Tech here... while all the technology that's in our vehicles is impressive, it certainly does leave me feeling like nobody is capable of modding them anymore. Sure, you can alter the paint job and swap the rims... but everything else is encoded and networked, make a change and you bring down a section of the network and everything else that was expecting telemetry data or otherwise from that module will fail to operate properly.

If you want to modify a modern benz, you need to have some serious coding abilities. Outside of that, you're sort of stuck with stock unless you want to brick the rest of the vehicle.

I was thinking of buying a 2007 c230. Good or bad idea?

None that I know of, at least in the US anyways.
You could probably find something in some eastern european country though.

Lol does anyone have that picture of the BMW 5-series evolution through the 40 years and the other vehicle being a Russian equivalent not changing within the same 40 years?

This is my car. It's a Nissan Moco. Given the fact that I have yet to scream in rage at the car's bullshit, I think it's safe to assume it is mostly machine.
I actually like this car a lot and would consider buying one (long term renting it right now). I don't say that often about cars made after 2000. I love classic cars, and really hate the bloated normiefag appliances modern cars have become. They all feel like they are designed to appeal to someone I'd like to punch. The noble simplicity of K cars appeals to me though, they literally feel like brand new old cars. Mine even has a bench seat!

Where do you live? Also why do you live with Nissan Cube 0.7beta tester?

(nah i'm just joshing you. to each his own. but i honestly didn't expect any Veeky Forumsphiles to be driving a new-aged nissan anything)

i liek your car

How does that 360 cam even work?

Is there a drone following you? lol

So used to shitboxes that I thought automatic seatbelts were the pinnacle of technology.

>AMD
>better driver support

On my X3, there's a rear camera underneath the rear spoiler and two cameras under each side mirror. The visual of the car is just a computer generated image and not the top of the car itself.

The side mirrors then cost something ungodly like $2000 to replace.