Infiniti unveils world's first production engine with variable compression ratios...

Infiniti unveils world's first production engine with variable compression ratios. Ratio change is achieved by tilting the multi-link using a harmonic drive linked to an actuator arm. The 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder, VC-T engine can vary its cylinder compression ratios between 8:1 and 14:1

Other urls found in this thread:

spannerhead.com/2013/03/13/interesting-engines-saabs-variable-compression-engine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Looks SWEET

Saw it, looked interesting but its a proof of concept more than anything in my opinion. Cool though

So many failure points, but still really cool

Nissan still can't design a good "normal engine" ie one that doesn't tick and drink oil. Good luck pulling this shit off.

Also why the fuck would you want a 2l 4 banger in a luxury car?

Cool but looks like a bitch to fix if anything ever goes wrong
I'm more interested in their new twin turbo v6, but I guess that's more because it heavily implies the next Z is around the corner

More likely the next GTR

I just find it hard to believe having a movable crank is going to be reliable several years out.

I can only imagine it failing and have crank walk

They're still trying to beat VTEC?

just let a man dream, bruh

Cant rev, don't care.

1950's multifuel engine technology... Yawn.

This seems incredibly complicated and fragile for no good reason

/epa fuel regs

wait

why not build an engine that could run high compression all the time?

this will never beat ecoboost.

What's that between his two front teeth?

Honda just patented a variable DISPLACEMENT engine which sounds more useful than this

that's the inspiration for the high lift lobe

Emissions. High compression engines make more power and are more fuel efficient, but have higher emissions. Specifically Nox. Mr EPA doesn't like that.

that works well when you're cruising and not using the power because efficiency
then you put your foot in it and it'll shit it's bottom end out, and more so when the boost comes in

Still inferior to mazdas skyactiv

>Between 8:1 and 14:1

Hey look at this thing Saab made in 2000. And what GM killed after they bought them.
spannerhead.com/2013/03/13/interesting-engines-saabs-variable-compression-engine/

>spannerhead.com/2013/03/13/interesting-engines-saabs-variable-compression-engine/

Check out the bellows thing sealing the moving head. That's the big downside

>Infiniti unveils world's first production engine with variable compression ratios.
Nope. This has been done before. Many manufacturers already do it. And they use a far less complicated system.
>leave exhaust valve open for part of the compression stroke
>lower compression!
Atkinson Cycle

ew transverse mounting

GM bought Saab well before 2000