/ORG/ - Off Road General

Welcome to /Off Road General/ where everyone knows roads are for faggots.

>Post your 4X4 Beasts
>Q/A
>What do you plan on doing next?

Last Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

boyceequipment.com/#!m35a2-bobbed-deuce/c254i
youtube.com/watch?v=rxZi3lBmNpc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also what does org thinks about arctic trucks like the one in OP?

They have very large balloony tyres.

pretty much worthless for anything other than arctic travel
they look sweet tho

>>What do you plan on doing next?
finally fixing the one rust spot on my 80. luckily its all located on an inner fender panel so im just going to replace it.

also pic in its current state
just removed the running boards, ome 3 inch on the way (fucking taking forever)
tires are next. most likely going with cooper discoverer stt pro's but not 100% set on that decision yet.

Im going to buy pic related and i dont care what you think

you posted this in the last thread
im not even mad
wouldnt be my choice but sounds like itll be just fine for your application

I have a 4x4 truck. I hate DDing it.
The rav4 gets better mileage. Has more power. Has a nice AWD system. Is much more comfy.
And its not a subaru!

2 door rav4's look pretty cool honestly

can you even get those in the US?

bump

>those fender flares
hnngg

Toyota is so Mc4x4

>4x4
No.
6x6.

Not the 2nd gen (i think)
But the 1st gen, yes.

what does that even mean

>jeepfags pls go

stop doing this to me pls

No.

Buy one.

You know you want to.

fug

>
>stop doing this to me pls

They are surprisingly inexpensive and it's easy to make a "bobbed deuce" out of one, Many people spend stupid money on lesser trucks because they don't know that. If you put a suitable camper on the back you can register as an RV in many states.

This is a commercial version. If you fabricate and weld you can beat that price by a lot of money:

boyceequipment.com/#!m35a2-bobbed-deuce/c254i

GIS "bobbed deuce" for many examples.

>They are surprisingly inexpensive
goddammit i know
both of you are killing me

>mfw i saw an already bobbed one on my cl for $11k

i always wanted to turn a radio truck into a camper.

good luck fitting that shit on any trails
i guess it wouldnt really matter if you were out west tho

i know but it would be fun to explore in the few places I could hit.

but senpai, these only had like 115hp and weighed a gorillion lbs

plenty of torque though and thats what actually matters

I have one, it's been great, very reliable, good for light trails, not much else as no ground clearance, but very good nonetheless.

Rav4 actually gets shit milage. My dad has one, and my heavy bucket pathfinder with 32s gets better economy.

What generation pathfinder.

Also my truck, need to get fender flares and cog wheels.

youtube.com/watch?v=rxZi3lBmNpc

Then somethings wrong with it.
My Rav4 gets 31mpg
My buddies pathfinder gets 20

They have 240hp with 745ft-lbs of torque from the engine. The Cummins 6CTA engine can get a free boost just by turning up the fuel. These engines are also used for marine applications and have 400-700hp from a larger turbo and different fuel injectors, but hp doesn't matter when it is pushing out 2000ft-lbs of torque.

The torque in the transfer case is so high that you cannot put the vehicle into reverse in low since it can twist the shafts apart.

Anyone tried General Grabbers? Thinking about them for my 2/3 ton Ram

bomp

>What generation pathfinder
R51 with yd25

Well his is an automatic, and an 2009 or so 4 banger.

Got 33x10.5 on 15s on my 4Runner. They are good all rounders. They sit in the middle of ATs and MTs and have decent wear and sound. I like em and will be mounting them again but I do know of some guys who didn't take em out for round 2 for whatever reason.

Also Ronny Dahl from 4 Wheeling in Western Australia is rocking them on his LC right now. That's gotta count for something. I don't think he has many complaints. In his last vid he ran them through some sticky nasty aussie mud and they did great.

My shitbox

tailblazers aren't that shitty, at least the 2wd ones

>Ronny Dahl
Ha. Funny you mention him, I just watched that video the other day. He has the best offroading videos on Youtube without a doubt. As for the Grabbers, I haven't used them, I know he did well with them in that video, but I'll be curious to see if he puts another set on when these wear out. I've got BF Goodrich KM2s on my YJ right now, but it's not a daily driver.

I miss having 38.5x15.50r15 boggers on my daily... don't miss the fuel bills tho.

Forgot pic

Looking at buying a sport trac, are they garbage? Not looking to crawl, just do some trails with some people or something

why so 4 cylinder?

anyway, TRD pro just came out, so i have a bunch of toys i'm gonna be adding. mostly cosmetic for now, but i've got my eye on that suspension package

Also if it's an M109A2 it has the White multi-fuel engine, you can run it on diesel, kerosene, gasoline and oil mixture, vegetable oil, used motor oil and even household fuel oil.

Does /org/ off-road at night? I did the mistake of off-roading at night, and by myself and went and got stuck. Didn't seem like it, but I went into really loose gravel at a decline. I was trying to get to the dry river bed, so i went down a path that ended up being blocked by a large rock. I couldn't reverse out. I had my differential locked, and i could smell my clitch burning. When i went out to inspect i had dug myself in pretty deep. I tired putting rocks under the wheels to no avail. I didn't take any pics because i was shitting myself because no cars have passed for a good 15 mins and i didn't see any cars on the way up. What i ended up doing is climbing over the large rock moving it as much as i could. My frame scraped a bit but i made it to the river bed. I truned the truck around and just GUNNED it up the steep incline. Fucking truck felt like it was going to fall apart with all the bouncing around. But I made it out and didn't fuck anything up, that i could see at least, my tires side walls are nice and scratched though, but not too bad or too deep.
> Pic related
My tires when i got home

gallons per mile

Goddamn you, stop.

A while back I posted this thread looking for opinions and considerations on a family hauler... Looks like we may have found one.
I'm somewhat skeptical of the CTA's ability to produce 700hp, especially in terms of longevity. Although your point stands. Peak power outputs on such vehicles are almost arbitrary, and 240hp is more than adequate such a truck.

basically meme tires
theyre not bad but definitely not good either
people buy them bc of the retarded red letters

>missing boggers
>missing having to yell at the person next to you in the cab while getting 7mpg
no thanks tim

>off roading
>at night
>by yourself
>with no recovery gear
that was pretty dumb user.
at least get a set of maxtrax or something

Damn im doing it wrong, i told them I wanted my letters in not out...fml.

Lol. I lined the entire inside of the cab in that dynamat sound deadening stuff. Wasn't an issue. And I got 12mpg hahahaha

I want the TRD shift knob.

The slider looks pretty nice too

>ford ranger
>2010
>bar suspension instad of springs
How to lift kit?

yeah i've spent up to $200 this year alone on pulling myself out of a ditch

> maxtrax
> $300
Fuck, any alternatives to this? Like a plank of wood or something?

what happened to this prototype?

isn't it true the Ranger is coming back to the US in a few years to compete with the Colorado and Tacoma?

tires themselves are pretty averageish i guess
those red letters look like total shit tho imo

>12mpg
im mirin. i get less than that typically.
and that sound deadening stuff actually works? i always thought it was a meme

time for some recovery gear then my man.
or at least go with another vehicle

lol a plank of wood probably would not be very helpful.
there are some alternatives like "tredz" or whatever the fuck theyre called but theyre only marginally cheaper and way shittier.
maxtrax are very well built. worth their price tag imo.

no one here knows that and if they say they do then theyre full of shit.
i would love if we got a ranger diesel tho.
think we might get a frontier diesel before that which im pretty pumped about

Currently in testing.

It became overengineered and shitty. Plus no dealership would give out tyres like that.

They found that if people wanted a vehicle that looked like this, they'd buy an SUV, Jeep, or Colorado/Tahoma and put in the kit themselves.
It's cheaper and generally better. No dealership wants to fit a tyre like that into a spareside...

fuck. I JUST bought this Ford Ranger, though. I just wanted to toss a lift disk for like $250 in but i guess that isn't happening.
i guess i ain't offroading on anything besides fields.

oh i just found it. they're just twice more expensive than other lift kit varieties since the suspension is different than standard springs.

lol just go with another truck and some tow straps man. i get not wanting to spend money im a jew as well. if you have another vehicle there you can get pulled out of most situations. thatll do a better job than the majority of recovery gear anyway.

>still has that ridiculous air dam
chebby pls

Pic related, steel a bunch of the bases next time you are near a construction site.
I got through a two week beach trip with no issues, the undersides are textured and theybstack well, just a little heavy and don't stow away well like traxx, but hey if u have space and are cheap...

Any of you bros go from a midsize SUV to a fullsize pickup?

I'm kind of waffling around, I have a 3g 4Runner right now (stock, e-locked) with fairly low miles and in good condition, but 20 years old is 20 years old so it needs some fiddling here and there, there's some vibrations and clunks that might be minor but I can never just dial everything in 100%. I also got rid of my newer commuter so this is my only vehicle at this point. I've been 'mirin newer options, namely a 5th gen 4Runner, and half ton pickups. I love the 4Runner layout and roll down rear window, but there's times when the space is just barely adequate for what we're hauling, and especially as of late since I'm now a homeowner and constantly doing some kind of project/land scaping.

Anyways I've been test driving half tons and I'm just quite smitten by how they drive, how huge and comfy the interiors are, having a bed would be great.

At the same time, for those occasions that I do go off the beaten path, the 4Runner's fantastic approach angle and clearance has really saved my butt. 99% of the time I get to deal with the fairly stiff and bouncy ride, but that small fraction of time I can't help but wonder if I'd be flumoxed if I was rolling in a much larger new half ton with a low hanging bumper. In fact for that reason, I've more or less narrowed it down to Tundras, Titan Pro-4xs, Ram Rebel, pre-Aluminum F150 with rear locker.

Long story short, has anyone gone from a 4x4 SUV to a newer half ton? Do you have regrets?

My sort of "third way" option might be something like a 1g Sequoia (good clearance, good interior space) or even go all the way and get a GMT-800 Suburban and put a mild lift on it or something. But again,with those two, I'm looking at 10+ year old vehicles, something that ideally I'd like to get away from.

No no no... U have an e-locked 4runner. Just throw money at it and make it a beast. 4runners 4lyfe

>Do you have regrets?
nope

>roll down back window
yep

>literally a sequoia with a box
yep

>has 4x4 and v8
oh yes

i'm starting out with just the skid plate for now, the stock one on the offroad is pretty weak.
the shift knob is kinda cool, but i dont like the orange stitching on it. it wouldnt match the rest of my interior. i'd get it if they had an option to match my silver bezel.

if that's your rig, might i ask what the size of your light bar is? i'm probly gonna do that soon, but i know literally nothing about them.

What are they bad at?

Certainly an option, but I again run into the "too old" angle, especially when coupled with Toyota Tax where I'm seeing gen 1 Sequoias and Tundras go for upper teens pricewise, and I know I'll be buying a truck that still has the same front end style as my 4Runner (with the balljoints you need to keep an eye on), potential air injection system issues, potential transmission issues on the earlier years. Something 10-ish years old might simply not feel like a big enough step in terms of new-ness and not having to worry about any repairs for a good long while.

Appreciate the suggestion though, that's a good one.

sounds like for your uses you wouldnt be missing a whole lot upgrading to a full size pick up.
if you feel like jewing out though honestly there is no shame in taking your 4runner in to a professional. you mentioned you can never get it 100% dialed in, they will. theres a lot of autism on here about doing all of the work completely by yourself which to me is retarded. i do as much of the work as I can myself but sometimes its just time to leave it to the professionals.

all that aside though, and i know you said youre trying to get away from older vehicles, for me the choice would be 100 series. youd save quite a bit over a brand new full sized and imo its much better in nearly every way.

its not really that theyre bad its just that theyre kind of ok.
they have a bit of a reputation for punctures, kind of loud on road for what they are and nothing special on the trail. they really arent bad though but wouldnt be my choice

>high teens
Shit. A clean 06 DC runs $10k at the most in my area. I found them less expensive compared to similar yr/mileage tacos I was initially shopping for. It's likely a regional thang though

What would you choose?

that really depends on your uses

how often you spend on the trail
what kind of trail will you see most often (muddy/rocky/sand/etc.)
whether or not you dd your truck/how much highway time it sees
if snow performance matters to you
if you give a shit how loud they are
if you give a shit about mpg

i can keep going there are a million factors

I took my Suzuki Sierra for an off-road drive after drinking for hours in town, belllied it out on the top of a big pile of sand. Had to walk to my workplace, where I took my bosses hilux back to the zook and snatched it off the hill, the drove the hilix back, then walked back to the zook. Was top fun.

Hey lad, what did you end up getting? I hope it was the r51

>How to lift kit?
Just wind up the torsion bars to match whatever lift you put in the rear. Just be aware that the higher you go, the more down travel you lose.

Propane powered.

>how often you spend on the trail
Not often now but that's partially due to axle wrap issues which I will hopefully solve soon
>what kind of trail will you see most often (muddy/rocky/sand/etc.)
Mostly sand here
>whether or not you dd your truck/how much highway time it sees
Don't DD it but I do haul around my dirt bikes in it
>if snow performance matters to you
It does but I live in the desert now so that's back burner
>if you give a shit how loud they are
Not really, they won't be louder than my engine is
>if you give a shit about mpg
V10 has no time for MPG calculations

We Toyota now

bfg ko2 would suit all your needs very well. you seem to be a bit allover the place with your needs and the ko2 is the most versatile tire ever made imo. it also has a retardedly good tread life
if you want something slightly more aggressive but still fairly versatile id go cooper discoverer stt pro. one of the very few snow rated mud terrain tires. comes siped from the factory. surprisingly quiet too for a mud (not that you care)

>now
but weve always been

How does the Grabber AT2 compare to the KO2? I really like KO2s but want to try something new. I have Yoko Geolandar AT/Ss right now and they are nice and quiet on the highway but I can't get traction offroad worth a damn.

Pic related KO2s on my Jeep

Golly, it even makes the crane look small.

>How does the Grabber AT2 compare to the KO2
i mean its pretty close but the ko2 is a better tire. imo youd be missing your ko2's if you went with the grabbers.
but lel yeah i havent run geolanders before but i cant imagine getting very far on a trail with them. they look like street tires.

if you want more options, look at st maxx's, toyo open country a/t and nitto terra grapplers.

tire shopping is the worst. for me its going to be stt pro's though very soon.

>brotire science

Heh, Pathfinder bro.
While the Pathy was second on the list, we ended up finding an NT Pajero with enough mileage to push into our price range,
Unfortunately there's no elusive rear diff lock option, but at least with the NT we score the full 147kW 4M41 and no DPF... I'm just coming to terms with the fact we'll have two white GLX Pajeros...

Dang yeah we're definitely higher here in Indiana, and the additional problem of finding one with a clean undercarriage (ie looking in Kentucky).

Oh I'm jewin' it up to the extreme over here. There's no real financial impediment to buying a new/almost new fullsize, but with the mortgage now I'd rather not have another payment (and/or seriously deplete savings). My pragmatic side says "what would you really be gaining in the functional sense?"

The truck definitely needs an alignment at this point, I can see positive camber easily with the naked eye. The whole front end is basically new at this point, OEM Toyota ball joints, fresh LCA bushings. Everything is tight. What I'm hearing is an occasional clunk when I'm near full lock at low speeds. The one suspect looking piece is the driver side sway bar bracket bushing, I have new pieces waiting to go on.

Well I've more or less put my money where my mouth is with hanging onto the 4Runner a while longer, picking up some '00 Limited 'star' OE alloys to finally get a set of dedicated offroad wheels with A/T tires. I already have a set of Tacoma rims with snow tires on them, and the OE split spokes with good highway rubber.

Nice, the 4m41 is a nice bit of gear anyway, just make sure you put a provent or similar on it, the intake manifolds get so filthy on those it's not funny. At least you still got that sweet independent suspension all round. Lush

>yfw the truck is making a new even louder sound

Can anyone red pill me on 64 scouts? Really hard not to pull the trigger on one. Has the inline 4 but I have a Detroit 3-53 i might toss in. I want something different then blazers and broncos and ive never owned a scout.

Yeah, removing or blocking the EGR (without triggering a CEL, still looking into that) and installing an oil separator like a provent will be first items on the list. Fully aware how much sludge those 4M4x diesels can create, especially when used as a stop/start short run city car, but I imagine the Provent would would be worth its weight in gold in this respect. Need to get one for our existing 4M40 powered NL too...

And that fully independent ride... it's like a Limousine in terms of 4x4 wagons.
The other benefit of the Paj over other 4x4 SUVs is the car seat height which I imagine the monocoque frame comes into play here. Having a shortass Missus meant access for her to a child seat was pretty important.

Yeah it worked really good actually. I was also running 4.88 gears and that helped the milage alot. Before the gears it wouldn't hit 4th on the highway haha. Old pic with 35s on.

>there are people on Veeky Forums right now who actually prefer on road driving

Mind if I join?

Did a bit of exploration on my own today in Central Indiana. We've had a few strong rains over the last week so the secondary trails were pretty slick. Didn't get too risky as I was literally there by myself with just my truck, not even a passenger to help out with potential recovery (although I did have all my recovery gear with me). Currently running totally not-offroad oriented General Grabber HTS tires with about 40% tread left, they were hopeless as soon as I hit a bit of slick mud. I'm debating between getting a set of dedicated rims for serious offroad tires (maybe not M/Ts, but definitely aggressive A/Ts) or to get more reasonable and quiet/highway friendly A/T tires like Dueler Revo 2s since this is my commuter and I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy swapping rims every time I decide to go wheeling.

Any input?

Finally brought this home
>Pic related

Good looking truck, and I love the color. Too bad it has that cheesy "roof rack" though. Can you even do anything with it?

It folds over so you can use it like I rack