Good mpg cars

Why is it so hard to find a used/CPO car that's got good gas mpg and isn't 20 years old and expensive? I've mainly been looking at hybrids because of the good mileage as well as I can get access to the hov Lane which would cut down my commute time in half.
So far I've looked at:
>Chevy Volt
>Ford C-Max
>Ford fusion hybrid
I have been trying to avoid the prius because my friends would give me shit even though they're not the ones paying for it or my gas. I just hate the stigma priuses have.

-I have a budget of $16k and my commute is 53 miles a day and I drive 300 miles once a month to go to another state. Does Veeky Forums have any other suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

longisland.craigslist.org
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5736674380.html
longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5706775724.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I drive a Spark
They have AC problems
I get mid 30s hwy and city
No drive train problems three years and 33k miles in

A Ford Fiesta. If you dive it correctly, you'll get great MPG's from both a Petrol or Diesel version.

But then again, it's about how you drive affecting the MPG in any car

Post your local craigslist too

Spark guy again, I also owned a Fiesta. I had no problems with it either but it was totaled at 12k miles so I don't know how prolific the supposed transmission problems are.

No idea about new cars, but my Saturn from 99 gets 40mpg. Feels like fuel economy has gone backwards

VAG TDI

OP here,

Im 6'2" so the Fiesta hasn't worked out for me. I felt cramped in there. I'm from the US so I can't purchase a tdi at the moment. I agree with one user who said that mpg is going backwards. We use to have cars that could get good mpg but now 40 is like a milestone in technology

POST YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST

Chill hombre
longisland.craigslist.org

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5736674380.html

Owned by a rich person so you know it was taken care of. The ALH TDIs are the most reliable. With the manual trans you avoid the Mk4 automatic trans problems. The mileage doesn't matter since he has records.

A Honda CR-Z or a Toyota Yaris and if you decide to stop being a picky faggot a geo metro or ford festiva

I finally have money, I don't feel like driving in a geo metro poorfag

Calls others poorfags but cant afford a 30mpg car...

any 1.9tdi / 1.6tdi VAG engine
any 1.5dci Renault engine
any 2.2cdi Mercedes engine
any 1.6tdci Ford engine
any 1.7cdti Opel / Vauxhall engine.

Best buy ? 1.9tdi Skoda Octavia MK I. Cheap to buy - cheap to run

A yeah, all of these engines do over 55 mpg ( the Renault 1.5dci can do over 75 mpg ) whilst being reliable af

>Owned by a "rich person"
>5-6 sub 10k German shitheaps in driveway
>Can't afford to maintain the THREE Jettas he's hoarding
If by rich person you mean poorfag and or frat house then yeah.

In my experience it's usually the opposite of what you expect when it comes to what's maintained well when it comes to 'enthusiasts." Usually they'll buy something they can't afford and do some minor maintenance trying to get it up to snuff before running out of money, more importantly TALENT,and try to unload their problem child on someone else.

Just imagine someone on Veeky Forums owning a car.

>20 years old and expensive
Because modern cars are too heavy and most old cars are shit so good ones become desirable

My two cents: Get a diesel Chevette

Thanks for the reply but I live in the US so most of those would be unavailable to me

If you care about mpg's I don't see what's wrong with a geo metro seriously because if you don't want to be seen in it you're going to look like a faggot nu-man in any high mpg car
>mfw you can buy a nice used "luxury car" for cheap if you care what people think and a geo for your empeegee's

Depends on your price range and location, as well as your year range... Saturn s series vehicles get up to 40mpg highway with the sohc engine, 38 with dohc... Spend like 3k tops on a decent example, pic related

LOL not buying a original mini. it does 40mpg when you dont mess with it too much. and this was long before the prius was even a idea in toyotas mind. or importing a kei car from japan...
wouldnt touch any hybrid. remember when they get old the batteries will need replacing. and uisually the replacement cost of the batteries is more than the cars worth. you can pick up a used prius for s.f.a. with a dead battery but the battery itself is about 5000-7000.
mini parts are worldwide. and you can build whole car with a credit card. as jay leno said: if you want a car to do 40 or whatever mpg buy a car that was designed to do the job in the first place.

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5706775724.html do it for daddy

Any small VAG diesel when driven correctly gets mad mpg. Just don't let the turbo spool.
B series Hondas get good mpg if you stay below vtec. SOHC gets even better mileage as long as your okay with gutless performance.

If you want max mpg just get a b or d series civic and strip it. Weight has a massive affect on mpg

doesnt look right in the middle to back. maybe if they curved the roof a bit more it might look what they were trying top achieve...

COBALT
EXX
EFF
EEE

40mpg, in a two door coup.

Manual, no power anything.

Forget about the cars you listed. Get the 1983 Nissan sentra with up to 50 mpg

Memes aside, I hear the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is good. Most econoboxes are gonna be pretty similar though.

Actually scratch that, get a CRX HF