Adaptive vs. permanent AWD

I'm curious of the differences when driving a bit harder. Nearly all manufacturers of affordable cars use the adaptive awd, probably because of the lower fuel consumption, while premium or more sports-orientated cars get permanent awd. I have only driven two Mercedes SUVs with permanent AWD, so I don't know much about the driving dynamics first hand. What will be the difference driving dynamics-wise when torque is only sent to the rear wheels during certain situations? Will e.g. a VW with 4motion understeer more than an STI?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jkiv-bWbLIo
youtu.be/K8jLbyNloCg?t=8m5s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cars with the shitty haldex AWD systems understeer more than cars with real AWD because they don't send torque to the rear until AFTER the front wheels have lost traction. Also, I believe they can only send a maximum of 50% of torque to the rear wheels

awd does not help a car steer better. its about putting power down.
in my cars with awd, the front and rear would lose traction at the same time if i cornered under power, just going wide really.
you are supposed to drive an awd car more like a fwd car i think. just get on the gas a lot earlier and use it to pull yourself out of the corner.

its easier to drive a rwd car.

During normal operation the maximum is about 50%, yeah. When necessary 100% can be send to the rear afaik, e.g. when starting to drive. I guess the oem haldex differential isn't strong enough to deal with more than 50% all the time.

Are there any other cars like the evo x (and maybe earlier evos) where you can set how the torque is split up?

It's a fucking nightmare when it comes to haldex. because the second axle always kicks in in the worst possible moment (eg when it's a little slippy and during a turn) which actually drastically changes the driving characteristics. You don't want that shit to happen randomly.

Awd is shit. Slower around a track, heavier, doesn't actually help you stop or steer any better in the snow, worse mpg, and much more profit margin.

are you trying to say the evo 9, or nissan gtr, or aventador would have been quicker if they weren't awd?
you're almost certainly wrong

imo if the evo 9 was rwd it would be magical.
there are very very few turbo 4 rwd sedans.
i dont know if it would have been slower, but it would for sure be fun

All three of those are slower than the Viper and Corvette Z06, which are RWD.

AWD absolutely helps you steer in the snow. If you haven't driven a subaru on unplowed roads you wouldn't understand, but it's so fucking easy to just slightly drift everywhere you want to go, perfectly controlled.

Seems kind of useless on road going sedan cars with rear lsd's anyway

Why the fuck would a 4 door sedan or 2 door sports car need 4wd if its longitudinal? Its just stupid waste of weight, time, space and money.

RAPES fuel econ and tyres and makes the car handle like a SUV

Oh thats right

>Women like them
>Cuckmen have to buy them because awd is 'safe' somehow

you silly fuck

>gtr slower than corvette
In your dreams gmcuck

are you only pretending to be retarded?

He is falcunt
He is pure retard

What does it matter when idiots will buy anything with an AWD badge anyway.

OP here. I really like driving on snow, therefore awd.
Maybe I'll get seasonal insurance later on and get an rwd car for summer.

>adaptive AWD
youtu.be/jkiv-bWbLIo

How the fuck is that even possible? Is there literally no wheel speed sensor on the either rear wheel?

>Honda
There's your problem

dont the bugatti and aventador have haldex

I mean, I have a 2005 Pilot and the AWD works fine. That video is failure on a level I can't even understand, unless the ECU thinks it's in some kind of dyno mode

rear wheels drivetrain is only for marketing purposes. Because of cutting costs, kg's and empeegees it's not designed to withstand any torque that could actually move the car.

looks to be the FWD version
these cunts are pulling a fast one

If so it's a rear-biased haldex like e.g. in the Audi R8 (they're all using rear-engine layouts), not front-biased like most cars. I see less problems dynamics-wise with that layout.

I'll be god damned, I looked up the Honda reply to that test, and that is exactly what they fucking said:

"If all the available torque required to move the vehicle forward would be transferred to the rear differential then the limit for the torque of the unit would be exceeded.

If the vehicle continues to run in this state (the front wheels spinning and the rear wheels standing still) the system senses the high speed variation and that the differential clutch slips and reduces the available torque to the rear wheels to prevent overheating. That is why the vehicle moves backward in the video."

>the rear diff would literally shit itself if the system had to shunt enough power to the back to move the car

>hey buy our new rugged all terrain crossover with AWD
>the only thing is that the AWD is actually FWD in any situations when you need AWD

>yfw your 2005 Pilot and 2001 ML 430 are more rugged than a 2016 Pilot or 2016 GLE

Or even a 2016 Ridgeline lel

God, I never thought I would say this, but I actually like how the old Ridgeline looks wayyyy better. Something about the entire front half of it just looks....off

The old Ridgeline is hideous too because it looks like this fucking handicap van

grrrr not square n tuff cuz all pickups need to be TUFFFFFFFF

At least the bed doesn't look as bad as the old RL.

I think the for the new one, it's the fact that the front half of it looks like it could belong to a van that throws me off liking it

The old Ridgeline just makes me think the higher ups at Honda walked down to the design department and told the guys they had to make a truck, and after he left, they all just slowly whispered "t-t-truck??" to each other in japanese while furiously googling what one was supposed to look like

Holy shit how is Honda not sued in a class action for this? This is blatant false advertising, and 4wd models of any car that comes in both 2wd and 4wd always adds thousands of $$ to the price. Unbelievable

heh
Remind us of what happened with the R33 you owned briefly owned...

seconded. this is just horrible engineering

Pretty sure the new Ridgeline uses permanent AWD, probably a derivative of SH-AWD

Yes, doesn't know what he si talking about.

>"If all the available torque required to move the vehicle forward would be transferred to the rear differential then the limit for the torque of the unit would be exceeded.
Sounds like the new RS, Ford playing catch-up to the Japs again.

The r35 gtr also has an adaptive awd system. It's primarily rwd till certain torque numbers or slippage occurs then it sends power to the front wheels.

How does that sound like the Focus RS you fucking idiot?

The Focus RS diff isn't up to the torque are you honestly retarded or just uninformed.

Prove that the Focus RS diff can't take the amount of torque it requires to move the car up a slight incline

Meanwhile the RS actually has real, non-haldex AWD

IIRC he Focus RS has a beefed up version of the GKN system used in the Kuga which seems to pull a car up a hill just fine.

>time to post that picture again

A car that favors FWD is going to tend to understeer at the limit and behave less like an FR car.

However you can easily have motorsport oriented AWD systems. The Evo had fairly advanced torque vectoring systems to force it to oversteer if the model-following algorithm dictated that it needed to but was still a very FWD car.

ATTESA-ETS and Porsche's AWD are both almost always RWD unless the system believes you're about to lose traction. If you watch Chris Harris on the Nissan GTR vs M5 drifting you can see how he can get the rear tires to slip out and oversteer but the AWD system vectors torque to the front and fights the attempt to keep the slide going.

youtu.be/K8jLbyNloCg?t=8m5s

Could you say something about the differences between the Subaru AWD in the STI and the Evos AWD? I favor the Evo, but I don't fit in them because of the lack of a telescopic steering column. The STI however is fine for me, but isn't my first option.

Subaru's AWD is more of a traditional AWD system. Initial split is more rear-biased than the FWD Evo but it doesn't have particularly advanced torque vectoring diffs like the Evo, it behaves more like the ATTESA system where the VDC/VSC in R mode will selectively apply brakes to keep the car going where it "should go".

It will understeer more, but it can be compensated for by the driver.

If you want the GTR or Evo to drift you need to drive them a certain way. The computers use things like steering angle sensors as part of their calculations.
Like a rally car with active diffs it's better to not bother with too much opposite lock for too long.
In that sense they can't techincally *drift*, but you can slide as much as you want.

Thanks a lot based user.

Right, ATTESA won't engage FWD if it believes you're still trying to corner. Unless the wheel is straight or countersteering you won't get FWD engagement. The R35 may be different but the R32-R34 would also stay in RWD mode if you let off the throttle and many drivers would spin because they would let off the throttle when they felt oversteer instead of countersteering and letting the AWD system work.

yep

hektik

My wrx is great in the snow. Also, with its real awd you never lose grip in the rain. I've never had it hydroplane at all even at 80 on the interstate in torrential rain.

hydroplaning is to do with tyres not drivetrain.
throw some part worn ditchfinders on it and try again and you'll see for yourself.