Mazda 3 or 6?

I want to buy a new car and i've been looking at the Mazda 6 mainly. However, i've seen the Mazda 3's are practically the same but just cheaper. Just got a few questions

- What's the big difference?
- Which model is the best value for money?
- Which year should i be looking at?

I'm a 26 year old male and looking to spend around $25,000, give or take a couple grand. Also buying in Australia so cars are a bit more expensive than the US.

Help me

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Mazda-6-2013/OAG-AD-13146615/?Cr=8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Neither. You could get a used benz or infiniti or something for the same price.

>less fuel efficient
>less reliable
>ugly
Fucking hate Veeky Forums

Tbh one of the main appeals to me about the Mazda is the way it looks and the fact that it's not one of the 'luxury' cars, so general servicing and repair costs wouldnt be as high as if i were to get a BMW / Mercedes

>calling something else ugly
>thread about new Mazda 3

Mazda 3 is slightly smaller and lighter, and doesn't have nearly as soft or quiet ride.

The Mazda 6 is a full-sized sedan, had better interior room, etc.

The Touring model is what you probably want. At least where I am, they go for about $21k-$23k depending on options. A loaded GT model will run around $25k assuming you live in a low volume region.

The 3 is better if you want a hatchback.

Expensive shit can break on every car. Change the oil and filters yourself. Changing other fluids every couple years at the dealer isn't a big deal.

Thanks for your advice.

I think i'm leaning towards the 6 aswell just because i'm used to driving a commodore (current car). They both have similar usage in terms of petrol consumption, right? I want to get a 4 cylinder 2.5 litre, don't want the 2 litre.

Something like carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Mazda-6-2013/OAG-AD-13146615/?Cr=8
is what i've been looking at.

Be a man and get this
Mazda 3 MPS BK saloon / hatchback
2.3L bullet-proof petrol engine
260 bhp

Same engine as the one used in the 2015 Mustang

You can't go faster for less money than a Mazda 3 MPS.

Fucking reliable.

Except the cost of an expensive part in a Mazda is significantly less than a modern BMW. If OP can't wrench on his own, he's going to be paying an arm and a leg for said parts and labor.

>Australia
Take your money and move to a better country.

Gas mileage isn't bad no matter what model you get, honestly.

I do really like the look of the SP25. Isn't it the same engine as in the 6 pretty much though?

I'm not too concerned about speed cause most of my driving is going to be in stop-start traffic on the way to and from work. I just want to look good and have nice features in the car while stuck in my 45 minute commute.

Yeah i could change the oil and filter but anything beyond that i've pretty much had no experience, so i'd be taking it to a dealer. I just can't really justify spending all that money on the BMW or Merc or whatever.

Thank you for your input

Is it though? I've read they do around 6-7L per 100km on the highway, and around 11~ per 100km in traffic. Which is pretty damn good.

STOP BEING GAY AND BUY AN FD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Read my post again

>Gas mileage ISN'T BAD

The Mazda 6 is just an inflated Mazda 3.
Just get the Mazda 3 MPS.
The 1.6 petrol is a meh engine - abit underpowered
The 2.0 petrol is a meh engine - adequate - but nothing special
The 2.3 petrol is a glorious piece of engineering - it saw most use in the CX-7. Bullet-proof engine.
The 2.5 petrol - nobody is insane enough to buy such a large engine on a non-sporty car.
The 2.0 diesel - meh engine. Nothing special.
The 2.2 diesel - avoid at all costs. Worst engine Mazda made.

Drove a bunch last week trying to make the same choice.
Imo go with the 3 unless you put people in the back on a regular basis. It's really just a question of whether or not you need the extra space. The 6 has a slightly more powerful engine, but it's pretty much offset by the extra weight. 3 gets better fuel economy, but not by much. They come in sport(base model) and touring. Touring adds the features like Bluetooth and keyless entry. The base touring package isn't too much more than the sport, unless you decide to go wild with the add ons. I would go with 2013 or newer, as that's when they started using the skyactive transmission. It made a big difference in the power compared to a similar 11 I test drove.

Oh, sorry - my bad.

I've done a lot of looking around on car sale sites and auction sites and have BARELY seen a 2.3 petrol engine, desu i didn't even know it existed. What models is it in?

In terms of the 2.5 i've read in terms of mileage its comparable to the 2.0 if you drive it sensibly. Most of my driving is going to be in peak hour traffic.

Do you really have no disposable income? Why are you so afraid of spending money for a car repair here or there? Recent Mercedes and infinitis are reliable.

>Recent Mercedes and infinitis are reliable
Hahahahahahahahahaha
But seriously
>wasting money on a car designed to waste more money on repairs.
Go away moron

The 2.3L petrol is the high performance engine used in the 1st and 2nd gen Mazda 3, 1st gen Mazda 6, and the Mazda CX-7.

This engine was discountinued because people that bought Mazda weren't really interested in going really fast.
260 bhp.
Same engine as the 2.3L EcoBoost used in the 2015 Mustang.

Thanks for your help man. I definitely want to go for the 2013+ and i was hoping to get one with the reverse camera including all the blind spot sensors and all that jazz. The bluetooth is tempting because i'll have to be on the phone a lot for work... So what's the list of tiers with the 6? And i guess if anyone can the different features
>Sport (base model)
>touring (bluetooth, keyless entry)
>?
>?

Mazda6 is a mid size breh

>wanting all those shitty driver aids
Gtfo normie.

The Mazda 3 is not practically the same as the 6.

If you don't have enough money for the 6 then get the 3. They're not "practically the same" though.

One is much larger and more luxurious which makes them very different.

Just look at the 6's interior in my pic. Miles nicer than the 3

Touring also has leatherette seats. grand touring gives bigger wheels, leather and more tech stuff
Should list it proper on their website

6. Though i wish newer 6s were a bit shorter

>Touring has leather seats
That depends on the year and car. They became standard recently, but we're an option before. Not sure exactly when that changed, but it's within the 13+ range OP suggested.

The base 6 might be a little nicer, but you can still get all that crap in a 3 if you want it. Except for that goofy little button operated parking brake

>sport
>touring
>grand touring
Same in the 6 and 3. Exactly what it means will vary depending on the year, but it's mainly just interior decoration and tech goodies.

I'll have a proper look on the website and decide how many tech goodies i need i guess.

So what are the major things that go wrong with the Mazda 6? Transmission? Bad electronics? What's the first major service gonna be, and anything i should be weary of when buying around say the 40 thousand km or 60 thousand km mark?

>weary
>ausfag education

Weary
reluctant to see or experience any more of; tired of.
"she was weary of their constant arguments"
synonyms: tired of, fed up with, bored with/by, sick of, sick and tired of, jaded with/by, surfeited with/by, satiated by, glutted with/by

I don't understand?

Did you read the definition before pasting it? Try this one, see if it fits better

Wary
watchful; being on one's guard against danger.
Synonyms
alert, vigilant, guarded, circumspect, prudent. See careful.

Thanks senpai

>mazda3
>ugly

>tfw no mazdaspeed 3

i would have bought one for sure.

hello mate. bought my wife a '16 mazda 6 touring. quite nice. have to replace lower control arm bushings though. getting a popping noise from the front; theres a tsb. go to a 5w oil and the engine will sound less weed whacker-ish. nasty understeer. really needs wider wheels/tires.

my wife loves it though.

Shitty modern car design

The new 3 is very similar to the 6.
Current gen isn't really inferior to the 6 imo though.

Mazda 6 wagon with the big wheels is super sexy

Not him but to be fair, the big angry grille and curved meme windows ruin it for me. Pic related is the last good looking Mazda3

What could have been

I have a 6 MPS and other than there being no aftermarket here in Australia I don't regret my purchase one bit.

I'd post bread on hood but I'm at work

The 3 is smaller and more nimble, rides more firm, and is more practical (hatch)

6 is obviously more comfy, looks better, and a slightly better appointed interior )both are above their class)

When I bought my 3, you could not get a manual 2.5 Mazda3, idk if that's still true. Objectively I think the Mazda6 looks much, much better. Obviously the 6 is roomier

Enough with the shit mazdas, get a real car like a 270hp V6 Camry or Avalon at least it wont rust and blow up like a shitbox mazda senpai

Way to show your ignorance.
Camry is nice though

why no more RWD mazdas?

Their sports car is RWD, the commuters are FWD, as it should be

Camry is the poor man's Lexus, meaning it's the best option for "high end" econoboxing.

Mazda is developing a rwd lineup soon

Made in Mexico vs Made in Japan

Take your pick

I aint even mad

they started using skyactiv in the 2012 model year.

JUST