Stick Shift

Tell me one reason why your still driving an automatic and haven't switched yet

I have a reliable daily that I'm going to drive until I can afford to own multiple vehicles.

Because I'm a faggot

because i'm poor and cant afford a manuel tranmission car

Because the 1993 Buick Century is already perfection.

My old shitbox became too much of a hassle to constantly repair

Because driving a car with a manual transmission is a complete meme that gets hyped by idiots that think going through four gears to get their 100 hp econo-shitbox car to 35mph is somehow a more immersive or tactile experience.

I own both so I can argue with myself endlessly over which is better

Manuals are cheaper.

my current car is auto but i would have to buy a other car which would be manual. but yeah you are right. some user here posted a while back ago how some dealership wanted to get rid of a ford foucs(?) because it was manual and as selling it really cheap with low milage

>Not knowing you can skip gears
>2016

They're more expensive around me desu.

I took my driver's test in America with a stick. Now I teach English in Japan. My company sent me to take the Japanese driver's test, and I took the manual test, because Japan doesn't let you drive manuals unless you take the manual test. Mfw I'm apparently the first person in the history of the company to do that.

Because I bought my mx5 auto this year and I'm not planning to switch anytime soon

No they fucking aren't.

Try looking up manual vs. Auto prices for mustang gts.

>35 mph
>100 horsepower
>4 gears

That sounds more like a 40's truck than a shitbox. Confirmed for never having driven a manual.

no money.
ever

This nigga retarded

What year? The first and second gen automatic transmissions were horrid, and gave out at about 100k.
Of course both 5 and 6 speed Miatas are horribly low geared. I used to get real sick of hearing 3000+ rpm at 70. That car's transmissions just suck.

I used to drive stick, but then I got a better job and could afford nicer cars with automatics.

>car i own is auto
>selling the car and getting a manual wouldn't be worth it

I wanted a memual, but my current car is auto so when I sell it for an E46 M3, I'll be sure to go to the stick side.

oh but i have.
and it was the best decision i ever made, seriously fuck automatic.

Own a manual for my weekend car. My work truck is auto and I kind of prefer it like that.

>currently drive manual
>car the I'm planning on buying next only comes in auto
>tfw idort

In America, used manual econoboxes are cheap. Sports cars and offroaders in manual are probably gonna cost more because of the demand. Only a select few of americans package their car with a manual, and its wanted by a niche group ("car guys"). He's right user

Because I'm in college and my hand-me-down '07 Impala with over 280k on the clock is all I can afford.

Which is precisely why I'm working graveyard to buy myself one of them fancy motorbikes.

Been driving manual since I started driving. Now considering automatic because I'm tired of driving idiots around (family mostly) that can't drive it for me while I relax shotgun

Yes Im aware of how retarded that sounds but seriously, I wanna be the guy riding shotgun in a nice car for once

Why would you want someone else driving your car

I switched over 5 years ago and never looked back.

Its so true, niggers cant manipulate a steering wheel and a knob at the same time;

Must have been a pain learning to shift with your left.

Cars
1. Stick
2. Auto
3. Auto
4. Auto
5. Stick
6. Stick

Only ever drove an auto because I just landed cars that were automatic. I fucking hate automatics anymore.

Work trucks are not a vehicle you drive for pleasure. Only makes sense. Even just getting to work you want to drive something you take pleasure in driving.

Is a manual really worth it?

I totalled my first car, only had liability so now I'm shopping for a new one.

Thinking about getting a 1999 - 2004 Mustang because they're cheap and fun to drive, and they look dank when customized a bit.

My dad says I shouldn't get a stick shift until I have the money for a second vehicle, simply because
>Manuals are a bitch to daily
He daily's a 2009 Corvette tho
>The car you learn stick in will have clutch issues fast af
>they're less safe

>sports cars and offroaders

Not really, more stupidity than anything. Those people think they really have something special. They never take time to look at the page their listing is on with the other 90% of the unsold models are the sport and offroad version. Because people know those are more likely to have been driven in to the dirt and wont pay more for them. So they sit there in the listing, forever.

It really isn't. Unless you manually breath.

>Im thinking about buying the second worst mustang generation ever made.

Just save up or borrow another grand from your parents and get an 05. With a little shopping around and patience you will find one cheap. They sold a billion of them.

Everything after 2004 looks ugly to me desu

I've heard nothing but good things about the relability of the 2004s

If you like the asian car look, just buy a fucking Toyota. Holy shit.

"no"

While my regular car was in the shop I bought a 6-speed manual plebmobile to drive and it was annoying having to shift so often.

Made me appreciate my regular car since I start in 2nd and go directly to 5th most of the time.

Some manuals really are a chore to drive.

I've driven manuals all my life and my next car is definitely going to be auto
>really makes you think

What don't you like about automatic apart form muh feels?

I have never seen an automatic where I live (yurop) and I'm wondering why you guys hate it that much.

>The car you learn stick in will have clutch issues fast af
What the fuck? Americans are retarded. No wonder automatics are so popular around there.

I think he's right though

You can fuck up the gearbox if you don't shift right, so if you're learning when to shift you'll be shifting wrong a lot.

Then learn how to learn. Don't treat the clutch as if it only had 2 positions: pressed, released. I learned to drive in my old shitbox and I haven't fucked up the transmission because I can feel the vehicle and because I'm soft on the clutch. If it starts vibrating too much, press the clutch a little bit, give it more gas and start releasing the clutch. It's not hard and it will not fuck up your car.
I don't know where the hell this "u'll fuck up ur car" mentality comes from because I've never heard of anybody that wrecked their cars while learning to drive.

It's just autism.

There's literally no reason to for my daily driver

Don't know how to drive a manual

how retarded of an idea is it to buy a focus St. get my bro to drive it home for me. then learn to drive it?

how long does it take to learn anyways? and how do you know which gear you are supposed to be in?

like how does it work?

It takes a few trips to get used to it.

You can be in any gear you want at any time you want, just try not to touch the redline, you don't need to.

Gears are the same concept as a 10 speed bike

This is what I'm worried about. I want to try out the stick meme but I'm too afraid of looking stupid at a dealership. Some autists suggest I get them to teach me? Jesus...

Think of it this wayGears are like speeds in a bicycle. Your legs are like the engine. In a car, the engine is always running, on a bike your legs are not always running. Think of an engine as legs that are always running. If you want to come to a stop, you need to disconnect the turning legs from the bicycle, right? Enter the clutch pedal, it allows the engine to be disengaged when pressed in. When you release the clutch pedal, the engine is engaged.

The clutch is not just on/off though, it allows for variable engagement for smoother operation. Hope that makes sense.

Don't go to a dealership without knowledge of how to drive a manual and ask to test drive a manual. You'll get hit with liability payments for any damage you do to the car. Sure they probably have one old car they use only for testdrives that has a beat to shit clutch already, but new to manual drivers are pretty obvious especially to people who ride with many people every day. They will definitely hit you with repair costs for the clutch they say you destroyed.

Just put up an add on craigslist, offer some amount of money per hour to teach you manual. Make sure to include that they must provide the vehicle, you may want to include that you're completely new to it so they know to expect more wear on their transmission.

Where do you live nodick-user, I'll teach you to drive stick in a day maybe 2 at most. Its really not difficult. Its especially easy on trucks because torque and you always know what gear you're in. Whereabouts do you live user?

Most salespeople can't drive manual. It's fucking embarassing.

Shit, last time I dropped my FJ at the Toyo dealer to be inspected they had to look aorund the dealer for 15 mins to find ANYONE who could drive a manual. Turns out the only person working that day who could drive my car was a 20-ish woman working a desk.
Fuckin' dickless choads these days...

Because the only reason I come to this board is for truck threads and I have no desire to feel like a sooper skilled racecar driver when I'm trying to get the fuck to work half asleep.

Mustang gts is your first problem

I take my work truck for fun. Ripping through fields and shit between jobs, going out into the cunt-tree, etc. I've even started to enjoy the 2N shifts whilst commuting in heavy traffic.
Just gotta love what you don't to make life better.

give this guy the trucc

God it feels good to drive manual now.
>Be European
>Drive always manual
>Come to america
>Buy car with manual transmission
>Laugh at americans having issues with manual transmission.

Honestly thou, I'm afraid that if I go automatic, I will never want to come back. Besides automatic ones are expensive to fix and with my budget new car with automatic will have shitty automatic gearbox, so I stick to manual and pretend I'm a racing driver :^)

Just switched. Feelsgoodman

question for manual Veeky Forumstists

how are newer manual vehicles? the only manual ive ever driven was an old ass sonoma. all the workings felt good, the clutch was pretty tough, but shifting felt fine. only problem was shifting to 3rd or reverse, but that was just because it was old and worn out. i ask this because i have this friend who has a newer manual, a 2011 jeep wrangler. its pretty sexy, but it has such a weird clutch that i cant even drive it. theres no friction point or anything, and its like you cant even slam on the clutch or step on it hard, because it goes up behind the bottom of the dash.
is that a common thing with newer vehicles with manual transmission? anyone with a newer wrangler in manual here to call me a stupid retard???

I literally just got a manual truck because of the SHITPOSTING on here. I don't regret a thing. I hate driving my auto now, fortunately I'm selling it soon.

>still fuck up shifts after 2 weeks of dailying it
>laughing girls.jpg

>haven't switched yet
Does not compute, I'm German.

My best guess is that your truck had a cable clutch, rather than a hydraulic clutch. I say this because that's how I feel about the two. Cable feels natural, the tension, the tug, that feeling of actually doing some work with your leg. With hydro it's just "fwop and pop." No feeling going down, and no feedback coming up. You can get used to it pretty quick, but why would you want to?

My first car and still current daily is a 240sx with a stage 1 exedy clutch. It's got a great weight to it and feel.

After I test drove a 2016 base model civic 6-speed the clutch was so light that when I got back into my car I thought something broke, it was so heavy in comparison.

Manual cars are great depending on the manufacture, Honda is known for based manual gearboxes.

sounds like Europe's shitboxes, not the US. Even the tiniest cars have 130HP.

>le manual transmission meme

This isn't 1990 anymore. Automatic transmission performs just as well.

And yes, I know how to drive a manual transmission

a well tuned auto is, but some models the engineers couldn't give two shits about the auto version.

lol that answers that question. my friend still gives me shit for not being to drive it immediately. are newer manual transmission vehicles more likely to have a hydraulic clutch nowadays?

I kinda doubt any normal vehicle still has a cable clutch. They made a switch movement, and survivors would have to be outliers.

will swap my tranny one day but right now enjoying not droping out of boost when shifting gears XD

>don't get control of when your car shifts
>lose power to the torque converter
>more driving experience
I learned to drive in an auto, but it's just so boring compared to a manual.

This. Last time I drove an auto after dailying a manual for a year, it was awful. It shifted so slowly (slushy too), and it would want to be in 5th gear as much as possible. The second it takes to downshift after pressing hard on the pedal is incredibly annoying. The car in total, was just boring to drive. This was a 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT, so the v6 in that actually had some pep to it.

Because I like to eat In-N-Out and drive at the same time.

>Even the tiniest cars have 130HP.

my civic has 60 hp

>130

slow down there

>manual
>anti-theft system in America
If that was true how did my GSR Integra get stolen?

because my dual clutch auto is faster than any fucking manual.

Then again, PDK shifts faster than pretty much anything, especially in the down direction.

Sounds like you've never driven a manuelle

What He said. Seriously makes a HUGE difference
>My best guess is that your truck had a cable clutch, rather than a hydraulic clutch

Spics.

wasn't made in automatic. Swapping one in soon

Asian cars look better than taking the same fucking design as a 60's mustang and rounding off all the lines and calling it a day

I'm so tired of all the big three performance cars trying to look like their heyday but more aerodynamic. It's dumb. My pops just got a '17 Camaro and it's better than it was 2 or 3 years ago but it's still uninspired