Why is Formula One so shit?

Seriously? Who was able to take something exciting like racing and make it this inane?

>entirely arbitrary and nonsensical rules
>every exciting track is now cucked by safety regulations
>cars are so far removed from anything a normal person will ever drive that their technology is irrelevant in the real world
>you're forced to pretend that tenth/hundredth of a second differences in lap times are legitimate measures of driving skill/build quality
>drivers are all cunts off the track
>the majority of teams aren't even actual teams, just corporate sponsors
>the remainder are endlessly pompous about "muh racing pedigree"
>you can't relate to shit that goes on; it might just be the most ludicrously inaccessible "sport" of any kind anywhere
>50% of winning is cleaning some old billionaire's cock

GT racing is incomparably better. It actually encourages manufacturers to invest in refining cars that real enthusiasts might be able to buy, drive on the street, and enjoy for themselves some day. As opposed to just
>"muh 10000kg downforce"

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/ferrari/11958485/Ferrari-condemns-circus-behaviour-of-rival-F1-teams-at-US-Grand-Prix.html
youtube.com/watch?v=r7080u0NsYo
youtube.com/watch?v=J_m9P3GtPgg
youtube.com/watch?v=yyOJUT4SmAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Wbe3Chdm-vg
youtube.com/watch?v=8ieTZnxsYHM
youtube.com/watch?v=chxLjBXJZSA
youtube.com/watch?v=O3TW19CW8Rw
youtube.com/watch?v=wRpiq4tRm0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=VP9-UlUO_Pk
youtube.com/watch?v=H6itfpSXkZg
youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1tsrLwv84
youtube.com/watch?v=_vKvmY2OLOk
youtube.com/watch?v=tGE1WUXS-UY
youtube.com/watch?v=1hpGBiu1JgU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRcH-M5oP4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Idk, go bitch to Ecclestone about it, nerd. The fuck we going to do about it?

Same thing that happened to NASCAR. Safety regulations killed the fun and Greed killed the spirit.

>>cars are so far removed from anything a normal person will ever drive that their technology is irrelevant in the real world

Well if you're going to be a big pussy about it and sit there and bitch instead of doing something about it, yeah.

t. samefag

Get into lemons racing. Way cool.

No, what killed F1 is the fact that F1 is ran by engineers.

Basically F1 continuously introduced new technologies with the strict purpose of going faster, slowly removing all the things that gave it exciting racing. Radial tyres, paddle shifters, traction control, launch control, active suspensions, ultra high downforce levels, the list goes on. We would even have a fucking CVT Williams in 93 if the FIA didnt swoop in and say "yo senpai you cant race that else we are dead"

While recently there has been a push to make racing more exciting, its all a bunch of hot air, as NO ONE wants to give up their technical advantages to spice the spectacle up, so you get stupid shit like DRS as a result.

All it takes is for 1 team to disagree and nothing gets done. Did you know they recently voted to get rid of the 1.6 liter engines? It didnt pass. I'll let you guess who voted against it.

In other words, the problem is that the teams only see F1 as a billion dollar dickwaving contest and not as an entertainment spectacle. Want a prime example of this? telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/ferrari/11958485/Ferrari-condemns-circus-behaviour-of-rival-F1-teams-at-US-Grand-Prix.html

No fun allowed.

Endurance and GT series are the ones doing things right at the moment. Leading the pack in terms of quality leadership, competitor harmony and overall spectacle I'd put Super GT as the best racing series in the world right now. They have everything F1 doesnt. Tyre war, multiple manufacturers, no meme tier shit like DRS, no manufacturer bitchfests and most importantly, seriously good racing. WEC comes right after.

>Did you know they recently voted to get rid of the 1.6 liter engines? It didnt pass. I'll let you guess who voted against it.
I don't wanna guess. Tell me

I'm not a huge follower of F1 but I get what you're saying.

But essentially the same thing killed NASCAR, and that's what I was talking about by greed, same concept just under a different name

It became all about money, and making the money means winning at all costs, and winning means always introducing new tech. All the cars are the fucking same. The engines and transmissions are all the same. You can breath on another car without people losing their shit

I guess it's just me bitching that the days of Bill Elliot blowing an oil fitting, and coming back from fucking 2 laps down to win are over, and never will be again

They really like these 1.6 liter engines will tell you that. In fact, they pushed really hard to get these regulations approved using all sorts of memes (muh road relevancy) while designing the engine. They have a HUGE lead on the rest of the field, think 2 or 3 years, that only very very recently has started to shrink.

Ive always thought that F1 should be the absolute best of what humans can make cars to be, and each year they should improve and break past those limits. Engineers obviously don't run it, or we'd still have glorious V12s instead of 1.6 liter boosted lawnmowers. Personally, I think F1 shouldnt have as few restrictions as possible.

The cars arent marvels of art. They arent marvels of driving pleasure. They arent marvels of making drivers look good. They are marvels of engineering. Nothing should go faster around a track than an f1 car. Companies should invest as much as they can (maybe up to a certain cash limit, albeit a high one, to allow smaller manufacturers a chance) to make the fastest fucking thing on 4 wheels around flat pavement. I want to see something go 0-300km in 3 god damn seconds, shed half of that in another 2, and proceed to corner at 7g. The drivers are being paid millions of dollars a season, brain damage should be an inherent risk of taking the job. That's what I think the point of f1 should be. For driver skill we have stuff like WEC and touring, but f1 should be focused on the cars.

And if not f1, then we should have a type of racing for that. "You have $50 million, make a car that can put up the fastest laptime around these tracks." Or something like that, maybe not 50 million but you get the point

Off road rally is the only skillful driving

>entirely arbitrary and nonsensical rules
agreed, they used to be simple and intuitive but they've been attempting to make it "more exciting" with some utterly retarded shit like DRS
>every exciting track is now cucked by safety regulations
to a point yes. asphalt run-offs are stupid
>cars are so far removed from anything a normal person will ever drive that their technology is irrelevant in the real world
that's the entire point of the series. outlandish performance
>you're forced to pretend that tenth/hundredth of a second differences in lap times are legitimate measures of driving skill/build quality
they are
they're either nonpersons or GIMI
what?
>the remainder are endlessly pompous about "muh racing pedigree"
what
>you can't relate to shit that goes on; it might just be the most ludicrously inaccessible "sport" of any kind anywhere
4u
>GT racing is incomparably better.
why not both

>I want to see something go 0-300km in 3 god damn seconds, shed half of that in another 2, and proceed to corner at 7g

we could probably do that but the issue with that is that you'd have to build a completely new set of tracks to accomodate cars like this, the run-off areas would need to be enormous, spectator safety would have to be completely rethought since there's a possibility of 500kmh airborne cruise missiles, and you can forget racing at tracks like monaco.

the racing itself could be very interesting with rules like that because at those speeds I doubt no human could maintain optimal braking spots and racing lines all the time or even most of the time, it would be about who dares to push the limit the most and we'd probably see a lot of overtakes due to driver in front making a mistake. wheel to wheel racing on the other hand would probably disappear

Mb

GT racing isn't even racing

>Completely arbitrary and nonsensical rule changes per car every other race
>Forced to pretend half second differences in lap time have anything to do with engineering and not who gobbled the most sanctioning body cock

Who cares when Touring car masters is a thing?
You can even watch most of the full races on the youtoobs.

Winton
>youtube.com/watch?v=r7080u0NsYo
>youtube.com/watch?v=J_m9P3GtPgg
>youtube.com/watch?v=yyOJUT4SmAs
Hidden valley
>youtube.com/watch?v=Wbe3Chdm-vg
>youtube.com/watch?v=8ieTZnxsYHM
>youtube.com/watch?v=chxLjBXJZSA
Adelaide
>youtube.com/watch?v=O3TW19CW8Rw
>youtube.com/watch?v=wRpiq4tRm0Q
>youtube.com/watch?v=VP9-UlUO_Pk
Queensland
>youtube.com/watch?v=H6itfpSXkZg
>youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1tsrLwv84
>youtube.com/watch?v=_vKvmY2OLOk

Depends if you're talking GT2 or GT3

GT2 is build the fastest car possible and have performance balanced by regulations

GT3 is build the fastest car possible to a set field of regulations

GT2 is a shitshow, which is why the FIA can engineer victories for Ford's 50th Le mans anniversary by letting them use a non production prototype and boosting their performance.

GT3 is usually won by whoever has the best development.

>GT3 is build the fastest car possible to a set field of regulations
GT3 is a class that was built out of taking obsolete one make cars and balancing them with weight and air restrictors. It has next to no technical regulations and is the category that popularized performance balancing in international motorsport. Unless there is a massive difference in teams or drivers, GT3 is -always- won by who has either the newest car that they can't figure out how BoP properly or the best BoP lobby.

The only legit open GT class in major motorsport these days is JAF-GT300, and there's only three of those cars. They are also about as road relevant as F1 anyways considering two of them are mid-engine Prius with IndyCar engines.

MotoGP still mega-exciting : ^ )

>For driver skill we have stuff like WEC
>a series where the cars and races outlast the length a single driver can drive by multiple times ever being focused on driving skill

There is plenty of bitching in Super GT, it's just more passive aggressively polite and in a language you don't understand. Teams are buttmad that the current cars are nowhere near as cheap to buy as they were told, cost shitloads to run because of cheap garbage spec parts they have to replace constantly, and have the chassis stiffness of a wet noodle which makes setup needlessly difficult, for one.

Always have been

Been that way for decades

The biggest cunt in the F1 paddock is a driver from the 70s. His rival was an equal cunt. They even made a popular movie about what huge cunts they were. The most well known F1 drivers of all time were also in the top 5 biggest cunts of all time.

Been that way for decades and is that way in a lot of other sports too.

Racing is like pretty much all sports fundamentally pretty inane. You drive arbitrary cars in arbitrary circles an arbitrary number of times and spend from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars to do it every time.

Well, I know what I'm wasting the rest of my day doing.

F1 is both fast and thrilling
youtube.com/watch?v=tGE1WUXS-UY

I stopped watching F1 about a decade ago.

Today I watch BTCC, GT sprints like the ADAC GT Masters (races also available with english commentary on youtube) and sometimes rallycross (world rx also on youtube)

complete BTCC races can be viewed on the ITV website, not geolocked
Races from the last round at knockhill, especially the 2nd and 3rd one are pretty good

Basically everything with a roof and close racing, racecars don't need to be crazy fast or actually stay on four wheels the whole time

At least those complaints are reasonable and shared by all competitors. Now look at F1 where stuff like Red Bull throwing a shitfit and saying they will quit the sport because they cant win happens with some regularity.

I personally think SGT will revert back to their old rules soon. The DTM "partnership" is a bust and the germans dont care

People like Hunt would never be able to keep a career in F1 these days. His off track antics would be too much for sponsors.

>cars are all the same
>they all complain about the same thing
You don't say.

There's plenty of subtle BoP bitching in GT300, especially JAF-GT300/MC/GT3 balance.

Personally I feel that rally sport is the pinnacle of driving sports. I mean, when you consider the crazy bullshit that are rally special stages, it's no surprise that those courses mold the greatest drivers and cars the world has ever seen.

Bill did that all under green flag too. Nowadays there'd undoubtedly be a horseshit debris caution thrown right after green flag pitstops to get the field bunched back up.

I miss group b. :^(

could probably binge watch the races for a week or two if you have missed the last few seasons

Not that I'm a fan of F1, but I can appreciate it. It appears as though these are the guys on the cutting edge of technology, and with more and more research and development, that means further advancement for the rest of the automotive industry.

That too is way more tolerable and understandable than anything in F1

Racing is shit to watch tho senpai, all aspects of car and motorcycle racing sucks absolute dick

I just wish there was a ridiculous, no-limits race series with no engine restrictions, no aero restrictions, just a pure focus on getting round the circuit as fast as possible.

If the FIA throw a shitfit, you just take the series out into the desert on huge 5-mile across tracks, and film it all with drones or some shit.

Cars would have to be remote controlled. Are you really interesred in watching million dollar full sized RC cars?

They could still have human drivers, they'd just finally be earning their millions and millions of dollars. Hell, they'd probably be even better paid than ever.

Sure, there'd be a limit to how fast they could corner or brake before they pass out, but that's what racing should be too, finding the absolute limit of human endurance and skill, in harmony with the car.

That's not how it would work and you're retarded.

Care to explain?

How much control does a fighter pilot have?

why can't they all lighten up?

youtube.com/watch?v=1hpGBiu1JgU

you'd never see this but with some little tikes style F1 car

How can I watch motogp in the US?

you guys are missing a lot of stuff here and i don't know if you really follow f1 at all

>mercedes is the winning team right now because they were the only team with turbo knowledge pre V6-T gen
>they scouted engineers from their TRUCKING program in order to help them design a good turbo layout for their motor
>fast forward, and now we have the split turbo that is so successful

and for those of you who aren't too savvy with the engineering right now, Mercedes has a compact and very strong set up with the two parts of the turbo on either end of the V6 connected by a shaft. this keeps the engine short, which allows them to have a more aerodynamic shape, a better polar moment of inertia, and more flexibility with their cooling systems. but it took them a couple years to perfect this system so no one has really followed suit except for McLaren Honda but they put one part of the turbo in the middle of the V and the other at the front, but unfortunately it's undersized so they're a bit down on power

not only that, but thanks to this we now also have the Ferrari 488 GTB which is turbo'd, we have a whole host of turbo Mercedes, and ever since McLaren came back into the racing foray they realized they had to sell cars to actually compete so now we have the P1, 675, 650, and the 570

and we have performance hybrid technology everywhere after KERS came out. the LaFerrari uses it and the P1. then the 918 followed suit along with the stupid crazy Regera

it's not so much these companies are breeding technology to be used on the racetrack, they're actually breeding technology in their road cars to work the bugs out for their race cars. it's pretty cool stuff

and the drivers are all awesome but the cars are just so fast and the drivers are so good that overtaking is nigh impossible unless someone makes a mistake or the pass is set up a lap in advance

>ever since McLaren came back into the racing foray they realized they had to sell cars to actually compete
Wat

>"muh 10000kg downforce"
>tfw the highest downforce car ever built is an Evo 9
There really is no point at all to watching F1 anymore.

too bad it still has the center of gravity of an evo 9

Super GT has winner weight penalties as well which keeps races tight instead of a single team building an impossible lead and making things boring.

You got your GT rules mixed up buddy

Not organized by F1

>less downforce than Eagle Mk.III
>a trillion times more drag
>even with all that shit and the fact it will implode itself after two laps it's only three seconds a lap faster than a 550hp GT3 car that will run that speed for 24 straight hours
>can only do turn 1 at 220kph with a 4 second lift youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRcH-M5oP4
Dumb rice poster.

lol @ u thinking some paltry little Evo 9 can muster more downforce than this baby

cheater

Not only do we have downforce, we have SUCCforce.

got a source on that?

Google "facerig anime".

That's actually some user jacking off.

hot

It doesn't. There's not really any Evo left in there.

>Eagle MkIII: 3800 lbf @ 150 mph
>Nemo Evo: 5400 lbf @ 150 mph
>3-4 seconds faster than a 550 HP GT3 car despite only having ~300-350 HP
At least you tried.

Does anyone even know how much downforce the 2J made? It would be pretty easy to calculate if we knew what the pressure under the body was.

>nigger literally too retarded to look an inch further down the screen before shitposting
Dumb rice poster.

>5217 lbs. @ 150 mph, with 1180 lbs. of drag
Where the fuck did they pull 5400 out of when they were claiming 5500 lbs. @ 150 mph, with 916 lbs. of drag

>having ~300-350 HP
Try 1000.

What pisses me the most in any kind of motorsport is that they completely deconstruct street legal car. They remove interior, change engine, transmission, suspension, steering wheel, gearbox shifter, instrument panel, install a fucking cage like they're in zoo, add shittiest possible exterior parts (like those crazy bumpers that are 3 meters wide in each direction). Formula One being the worst, that's not even a car anymore, it's just an engine on four wheels, because "muh speed", "muh aerodynamics". Who the fuck cares? They look disgusting and identical. There's F1 vehicle called Nissan and Audi. Difference? Badges on front. Also, who thought racing one thousand laps is a good idea? How do you NOT get bored seeing same vehicles, same driving patttern, same track, almost same time crossing finish line? And they all drive in chain, so seeing someone takeover is very rare.

>BTCC

Fucking based.
Love watching family cars getting ragged within inches of their lives, smacking curbs and 2 wheeling round corners.

>That team running the Passat CC
kek

They have the best driver in all of space and time (Alonso) stuck in a car with the shittest engine (Honda) and the rules forbid them from fixing it.

Meanwhile they let some shitty drivers (Hamilton and Vettel) win multiple championships with no effort and refused to even make RBR run to the same regulations as the other teams.

It's the sport of politics, not of engineering or driving skill.

Too bad there's no one racing Torinos.
Fortunately the Monaros and Mustangs duking it out is pretty exciting.

There should be a motorsport racing spec that requires that the car is street legal in the US and that for homologation 200 cars must be produced.

And then require that the car must be 100% stock save for tires. Anything goes but must have two identically sized passenger and driver seats.

To keep things from going full retard the car cannot qualify as a gas guzzler under EPA standards.

I would expect to see special edition versions of things like the Porsche 918 but as a homologation special. Races would be fairly short, no more than an hour long.

Better yet, forget about doing it specifically for the American market and just make the entire race teams budget for the year is 50k which also includes purchase of the car.

That was the car and running of it is well within the public's reach and drives the prices of new performance cars down.

I think the Camaro was the only big block that raced in the series

what did he mean by this?

>tfw reading this thread

Seriously, Veeky Forums can't into motorsports. This has been proven before.

The racing is actually pretty good in F1 at the moment, but it's not as close as in GT racing, I'll give you that. I'm fine with F1 being run by engineers and being really hight tech as long as there's other series like in GT racing with more emphasis on street-similar cars and entertainment.

to be honest ive never liked formula 1 ever

growing up in the 90s it was much the same but with better/more interesting engines.

OP is on point.

i just pay attention to more grass roots stuff like whats popular on the street and dumb stuff like jewtube shows.

Rally, WRC and organized stuff is going much the same way.

Cars are the literal mechanical embodyment of free movement and all we wunna do is lock them down to dumb speed limits nanny state crap and weigh them down with 'safety equiptment'

well ironically any car cabable of 200-300mph is never going to be fucking safe even if you crash at 120 you could still kill yourself or anyone else on the road so why the fuck bother with safety crap?

Weird ass world yo

Wait, since when did the Bob Jane Camaro race touring Car Masters?

Sounds fucking amazing like wipeout hd in real life

Touring car masters build the cars to the same specs as the old cars, they just get modern tyres.
Its like they let the a9x start competing this year.

>not even mentioning WRC as a good series

Admittedly I haven't been to the US for almost a decade now, but can't you watch it on Speed?

Indians need to learn about audio mixing

I do like BTCC
I don't watch it on TV, but the last couple of times it's been on at Oulton Park I go there to watch it with my dad and brother

>imagine your dick under that car

maybe one day