Hey/o/

Hey/o/

First time on this board because. I know absolutely nothing. How do i into cars

Buy a car. Take it apart.
Put it back together.

If you end up with little to no spare parts, then you are now into cars.

no one else here knows anything either
you'll fit right in

Use Haynes manual and forums when stuck.

Cars are a lot of simple systems put together in a complicated way. There's a thread on /t/ right now
full of great books for you. I learned through holding the light for my dad while he worked on motorcycles at a young age, and taking ASE auto repair classes in high school. It's going to be harder but not impossible if you didn't have that opportunity. As others here tend to say, get something that's kind of a piece of junk but cool, and just tear into the thing after reading about what you're supposed to do. Haynes manual or a factory service manual if you can find one is really useful. Hopefully somebody here has the Veeky Forums approved tool list. A good socket set, good wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, jackstands, etc are all important tools. If you live in the rust belt an impact wrench is a good investment. A floor jack is way nicer than a scissor jack for getting it onto jack stands.

Also gonna post some neat shit like this. Fuck you captcha.

this desu
if you have a car, get a repair manual and read it on the shitter. go to events and talk to people actually competing with cars. join a car specific forum. read books about cars and good mags like grm. If you don't have a car, read car mags and watch car review shows then parrot their opinions and bench race.

Fellow know-nothing here. How do I get into recognizing and knowing car models? Do I just keep trying to name them on the street? I have a lot of trouble differentiating similar cars on the street especially when the same car can look so different between the years they were made. For instance, how can I tell the difference between a Civic and a Camry?

If your eyes are good it's mostly about memorizing manufacturer styling traits and model specific traits. Camrys are going to have different headlights and tailights from civics. Racing games like Gran Turismo or Forza will let you look at different kinds of cars.

Look at lots of cars and take note of the badging.

Watch Initial D and play Gran Tourismo and you'll be a full fledged Veeky Forumstist right away.

danke me latere

Most of this thread is right so far.

Since you're a normie, I have a bit of advice for you.
Engine configurations.
An I or inline engine means all the cylinders are in a single row.
A V engine has half the cylinders on each side connected at the middle in a V formation. Pic related, a V6.

Now, on that note. No car company has used a V4 engine since the 1970's (the last 3 companies being Ford, Saab, and Lancia. Saab used Ford engines). With the exception of certain motorcycles, V4 engines are dead and don't exist anymore. I4's and Flat 4's rule the 4 cylinder world now (Only Subaru uses flat 4's anymore).

I see to many normies refer to I4's as V4's and it triggers me every fucking time.

In a serious response, if you're looking into how to car, go to a community college.
If you really want to make cars your life, get your foot in the door, get a porter position at a dealership.
From there, move into a lube tech.

After that, it depends on what you want to do with being a technician.

>Only Subaru uses flat 4's anymore
Don't forget Porsche, in the new 718.

>looks into it
>you're right
Well I'll be damned. Isn't this the first Flat 4 Porsche since the 1970's? I didn't look into the new 718's and figured they used standard flat 6's as they have for decades bow.

Yeah, first Porsche flat 4 in ages. They had to downsize due to emissions regulations, the same reason every 911 has a turbo now (even the non-Turbo branded models).

>With the exception of certain motorcycles, V4 engines are dead and don't exist anymore

I don't see production numbers or a price for normal people
One-off race cars don't count.

Now I have a question. How long until someone swaps the new Porsche flat 4 into old Bugs as they've been doing with Subaru engines for decades now?

There's no auto class at my local community :(

Oooh, I want to see that happen.

another Subaru conversion.

Normie question! So the larger the engine, the better performance? Also are larger engines more or less fuel efficient?

>the larger the engine, the better performance?
It doesn't necessarily work like that. Higher displacement potentially means more power, but there's a lot more things at play than that.

In general though, the more power an engine outputs, the more fuel it needs (because energy is "stored" in the form of fuel and a higher power output pretty much means an engine converts more fuel into energy every second).

See that leads to a WHOLE 'NOTHER can of worms.
In general, yes, an engine with larger displacement will have an easier time making big power. Smaller engines can make big power numbers but they often need help to do so, usually compensated for in high revving engines (Hondas are especially known for that) or turbocharged and supercharged engines.

The more power a vehicle makes, the more fuel it requires, so in general, big engines are usually less fuel efficient. That said, fuel economy of large engines CAN be compensated with good engineering and transmission gearing. It's why you'll often hear of Chevrolet Corvettes with big 6.0L v8 engines hitting 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

At it's core, an engine is just an air pump. The more air you can get in, the more fuel you burn, and the faster you can get the air back out again, the more power you'll make. This is why diesel engines have a hard time making power. It's a very slow-burning fuel.

Same with the guy above with the flashlight and dad thing, except he works on nissans as a job. sop that was fun I suppose. Older cars are GENERALLY easier to work on, and don't by something so expensive/custom you're scared to wrench on it. you'll eventually have one of these>>>

make sure the door is unlocked first

All it takes is assisting in rebuilding one engine and you're all set. You'll learn how it works, how to detect what doesn't and you'll realize all you need is a bunch of tools and a lot of free time to fix (older) cars.

Time to move, user.

fucking checked

bump

I browse the new car section on Car & Driver and read all the reviews, and watch Head2head and Ignition on YouTube.

>buy a shitbox
>fix it yourself tony