Germany Bans Gasoline Powered Cars

electrek.co/2016/06/14/all-new-cars-mandated-electric-germany-2030/

It looks like Germany is about to become the first major country to set an official deadline for a ban on gas-powered cars. India recently confirmed that it is evaluating a scheme for all its fleet to be electric by 2030 and both the Dutch government and the Norwegian government are discussing the possibility to ban gas-powered car sales and only allow electric vehicle sales starting also by 2025.

But while the Netherlands and Norway are fighting over the technicalities, a senior government official in Germany confirmed they will impose a mandate for all new cars registered in the country to be emissions free by 2030.

The mandate will be part of Germany’s pledge to cut carbon dioxide output by 80% to 95% by 2050.

Update: It looks like the official in question, State Secretary of Economy and Energy, Rainer Baake, was misquoted and that he says that a mandate by 2030 will be necessary to achieve the emission goal without specifying if or when the zero emission mandate will be implemented – we will update if Baake release a statement.

A zero emission mandate has been expected since Germany joined the International Zero-Emission Vehicle Alliance, which aims at making all passenger vehicles emission-free by 2050, in December last year.

cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fxe_b2GRwok?t=81
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The news comes a day after Daimler, an important automaker in Germany, announced its electric mobility plan to introduce new electric powertrains across all its brands.

The Environment Ministry confirmed that the transport industry is lagging behind in its plan to reduce carbon emission across all sectors in the country and that its emission levels remain virtually unchanged since the 1990s.

In April, Germany officially announced a new incentive and investment program to accelerate the adoption of electric cars in the country. The most important incentive is a €4,000 discount for all-electric vehicles. Following the announcement of the program, Tesla issued a complaint claiming that the government and German automakers purposely set up the program to exclude Tesla in favor of local manufacturers.

Germany has a fleet of about 45 million vehicles including only about 150,000 hybrids and 25,000 all-electric vehicles. It’s important to note that the new mandate will be for new registration and that it takes about 20 years to replace a whole car fleet.

While the new incentives program will help increase sales in the short term, the mandate’s role is to encourage automakers to expand their zero-emission offering. It could mean another push for fuel cells, but based on what German automakers have been discussing lately, including VW’s planned battery factory and Daimler’s latest mobility plan, it looks like battery-powered vehicles are about to shine in Germany.

FIN

They'll probably make an exception for ecoboost

>a small group of like minded people making decisions for millions
Wew.

Hahaha germany is so fucking cucked

>all new cars registered in the country to be emissions free by 2030.
>cars

Trucks. Germany gets rolling coal.

Taxed to shit unless registered as a company vehicle. Super strict inspections every year, massive fines if anything's out of spec.

No fun allowed.

I suspect that sales of gasoline powered cars in Germany will skyrocket in 2029, (which is only 13 years away) as Germans try to avoid being saddled with a gay electric car for the rest of their days.

who is making these fake news?

Who cares? New cars are shit. What's preventing someone from going to buy their supercar in another country and importing it? It's also no forcing you to sell your gas car.

Read the fucking article you fucksticks.

>Update: It looks like the official in question, State Secretary of Economy and Energy, Rainer Baake, was misquoted and that he says that a mandate by 2030 will be necessary to achieve the emission goal without specifying if or when the zero emission mandate will be implemented – we will update if Baake release a statement.

Germany would probably start passing out fines for that.

>implying anyone clicks on clickbait shit

>mfw no more insane AMG and M beasts. Ill have to settle down with fucking fiat.

>Germany would probably start passing out fines for that.

The Krauts will more then likely progressively jack up taxes on gas powered cars as the date nears, specifically to discourage people from buying a gas car at the last minute.

I’d also guess that they’ll jack up taxes on gasoline until only the rich can afford to keep a gas car running.

>tfw red barchetta soon
I hope we get a mad-max scenario before that happens

AMG and M will just make electric fatty cars with fancy badges, trying to trick people into thinking they are as fast as their exploding dinosaur juice predecessors.

They'll have to ban registry of cars from other EU countries, in Germany. Otherwise everyone in Germany will just go to poland, switzerland, denmark, etc.

>wanting renewable energies on one hand
>wanting millions of electric cars charging at night at the other hand

the average joe owning an EV won't be a thing for the next 50 years

>18 miles per change in sport mode
>have to go to dealer to open hood
>35 MPG
>$140,000

Don't believe me about the hood thing? Check this out:

youtu.be/fxe_b2GRwok?t=81

See guys? There will still be electric sports cars. Just trust the government to make all of your decisions for you. In the end, the government always knows whats best.

GERMAN GAS GUZZLING CARS ARE GOING TO GO WAY THE FUCK UP IN VALUE GUYS

START BUYING THIS SHIT NOW THE KRAUTS ARE GOING TO HAVE THE CARLOCAUST

no. Germans will just go to the next EU country over and buy a car.

Then Germany will have to ban the registry of all gasoline cars in germany made after a certain year.

then the germans will just buy used cars in other countries.

Then germany will have to ban the registry of any gasoline car.

Then the EU falls apart because those suits in Belgium will want to make the gasoline car ban EU wide.

>tfw gasoline cars will be obsolete in your lifetime
Is there any way one will be able to convert an old car to continue to run after fossil fuels are banned?

People have converted Twingos to all electric before.

Does Germany even have the electrical infrastructure for the entire population to own all electric cars?

The US sure as fuck doesn't.

>haha sorry hans. you HAVE to drive vehicles that we like
word that starts with C and ends with K. all of them
also india said that its gonna be a superpower by 2030

ooohhhh i do not like the idea of having to be completely whipped by electricity in that thing. the fuck you mean i have to rely on electricity to open my door? what is the point of making the doors rely on electricity? why couldnt it have been mechanical?

what a pile of garbage. i hope the idea of electric cars flop.

also i got a legacy caption for this post and i was happy again

I wonder how all this nonsense will affect the collector car market in Europe

Depends. This shit won't come to poor countries like Hungary for a long time unless the EU buys everyone a new car to replace their golf mk1s, twingos and opels.

US isn't a good comparison. Existing infrastructure is crumbling, taxes are low and it all goes towards defense, and it's geographically huge and sparsely populated which makes cost per capita massive.

Their infrastructure is already much better than the US's, and adding capacity in small countries is trivial. I'd be surprised if they had to do more than add a plant or two.

Liquid natural gas

>half of India still shitting in the open
>make it a top priority to ban gasoline cars

I hate those fucking people I swear to god.

>nobody read the update

Either the fuckwit got huge flack instantly or he genuinely was misquoted. Neither is out of the question.
The short of it is, it won't happen. At least not by 2030.

City cars, to go to and from work, being electric would be a good thing. Lots of people would want that, actually. But they'd have to be less than half in price than what they are now.

>Their infrastructure is already much better than the US's, and adding capacity in small countries is trivial. I'd be surprised if they had to do more than add a plant or two.

We produce far more electricity than we need on the whole. There is very little infrastructure for distribution within the country, though, it's much more aimed at selling to neighbors.
There are boatloads of other infrastructure problems that will get ignored if (or rather when) they decide to push and subsidize electric transport, which then still doesn't allow people to buy the overly expensive cars.
Shit will hit the fan pretty quick, if it happens.

Electric as it is right now is pretty much only good for being city cars, but they are to expensive. That's all people ever use Teslas for in the states, which works fine here because of the size of most streets. With charge times it just isn't viable to replace ICE cars at all. Maybe more so in Europe, but in the US the range of a Tesla is highly prohibitive when considered in conjunction with the charge time. That's really the biggest inhibitor is that electric isn't anywhere close to the 2 minute fill up we're used to.

So what do you do when your car runs out of juice 2 miles from a gas station? Do they need 2 miles worth of extension cords?

Ethanol

>expecting /co/ to read, especially if it contradicts the narrative already in their heads

Because then they wouldn't be able to charge you an arm and a leg to re-connect a loose wire

The government wants all electric cars because of their specific power curve. Speed is very limited, so it will be impossible to outrun the police... for any reason

stay in school, kid

>Existing infrastructure is crumbling,
Due to taxes being redirected towards pork spending and lobbyist subsidizing
>taxes are low
I certainly hope you don't mean US corporate tax. It's one of the highest in the world at 35%. Many European countries are in the teens.
and it all goes towards defense
Only 4% of the US GDP ever becomes used by the military. Many Euro countries do not have more than 2% or so of GDP dedicated to defense because they are backed by NATO (the US).
>and it's geographically huge and sparsely populated
Meaning it's better for local governments to do the lawmaking, because they probably know what's better for their area. Which is the whole reason why the US Federal government is a goddamn mess at applying anything nationally.

Kraut here. We don't. And if building the infrastructure for e-cars goes anything like the current behaviour in broadband and LTE infrastructure devellopment, it's gonna be a disaster: City centers will be overstacked with offerings for cheap charging, while rural areas will be the big dark spots in the map.

Like the Telekom always likes to brag about how they connect so many german households, but when they actually have to present a map of their connected areas the big cities are lit-up pink and everything beyond that you're happy to get 100mbps at horrendous prices. Pathetic.

spotted the Kool-Aid drinker

>no argument
Looks like you know you're wrong. Case closed.

Pretty sure most buildings have a few plugs

And still nobody gives a fuck about freight, mining, or coal plants

because the people responsible for those emissions actually have money

Seems so. Electric cars have limited range, so they limit where you can go. When only the rich (white) have range, the rest are easy to round up. Electric cars are also normally laden with "botnet" features, like remote kill switches and self-driving features(+remote control (for SAFETY, LAW, and ORDER, citizen! nothing to hide, nothing to fear, respect the law!)

You know, it's germany.

This.

People will argue that you can go eat dinner, do errands while your car charges, but you have to do something to kill that half an hour every single time you use one. An 8 hour, 400 mile road trip would at least turn into a 10 hour road trip if you just so happened to have superchargers at the very end of that ~200 mile range, or even longer with the Heat or AC on.

By 2050 i'll be too old to drive anyway.

>Following the announcement of the program, Tesla issued a complaint claiming that the government and German automakers purposely set up the program to exclude Tesla in favor of local manufacturers.

This is not the first time Germoney gets ass-blasted at competition. Thanks to Germoney the US has a stupid 25 year import rule - can an amerifat detail this ? As a europeasant I'm curious about this.
They got butt-mad at Lexus too.

Yes good goys, you dont need to travel more than 8 hours before stopping, why would you ever need to control your own movement? Just let us do it for you.

ITT: absolutely fucking NOBODY EVER READS SOURCES PROPERLY

>Update: It looks like the official in question, State Secretary of Economy and Energy, Rainer Baake, was misquoted and that he says that a mandate by 2030 will be necessary to achieve the emission goal without specifying if or when the zero emission mandate will be implemented

There is no deadline, the cunt just said that the deadline would be necessary to meet the emissions goals.