A few vehicles are still produced with straight-8s

A few vehicles are still produced with straight-8s.
Where can i find one to pull the mythical straight-8 from it's prison? Wiki claims they're mostly for heavy vehicle utility.

Is there any actual documentation of these vehicles?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtm-online.de/en/highlights/details?id=25
youtube.com/watch?v=inW5XO7Uino
ebay.com/itm/46-47-48-1946-1947-1948-BUICK-ROADMASTER-320-STRAIGHT-8-EIGHT-ENGINE-MOTOR-/141617342251?hash=item20f90d272b:g:a9YAAOSwNSxVFDfw&vxp=mtr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why

Just couple two i4's together. Something short like a 4g63

memes
Too hard to seal a single crank with two blocks.
A single cast block would have much more longevity.

Just weld them end to end?

No its time man, create a awd car where each half is powered by a different turbo 4g63

no just machine up a part to join the two cranks. It's been done with bike engines in lotus & style cars.

you can't just weld blocks together m9

You'll need to run an extended crank out of one, couple it to the rear, seal this fucking mess and then actually get gas flowing which, fuck two ECUs, carbs would be the easiest option.

30's-50's Buicks would be the most common in car form.

Join 2 i4s together

Don't bother trying to join the blocks just have two separate i4s coupled end to end.

I believe someone used this technique to make a flat 12 .

MTM did something like this.

mtm-online.de/en/highlights/details?id=25

M Y T H I C A L
Y
T
H
I
C
A
L

Probably some big CAT diesels like that. Unless you go classic like

>go to hardware store
>buy 8 one-cylinder motors to weld them all together
>cashier gives me funny looks

If you read the Wiki, you'd also know they were abandoned in the 1950's for numerous reasons.

I6 > V6

Therefore

I8 > V8

youtube.com/watch?v=inW5XO7Uino

I refuse to believe the Straight-8 is dead m8s.

it's out there somewhere, waiting for me to find it.

We still need a modern Straight 8 with DOHC, VVT, DI, Turbo, a nice iron block bc I don't trust 8 feet of aluminum. A nice forged crank with massive main journals for rigidity, all bearing fillets induction hardened and micropolished. A proper undersquare bore stroke for torque bias, thermal efficiency, keep engine length down and because practically every production V-engine out there is oversquare. Despite being undersquare, it should not have a rod/stroke ratio of less than 1.7:1 for smoothness and longevity.
>hnnnnnnnnggg

>DOHC,
fuck that
Flathead for life

>Turbo
get of my thread with your slander you pervert

Jesus, stop fantasizing n 4chin and go buy yourself a Buick 8 and stfu purist

>buy yourself a Buick 8
Ok, let me just go down to Walmart and grab a pre-war Buick.

>stop fantasising
>posts this nonsense

ebay.com/itm/46-47-48-1946-1947-1948-BUICK-ROADMASTER-320-STRAIGHT-8-EIGHT-ENGINE-MOTOR-/141617342251?hash=item20f90d272b:g:a9YAAOSwNSxVFDfw&vxp=mtr
o shi i'm about to cop this

>ew, superior technology

i don't get this
people that think anything that's not NA is cheating
people that want older engine designs
it doesn't make sense

Bruh if you want something that already exists, you don't need to fantasize. Go talk to a boomer, there's plenty of restored flat head straight 8s out there.

No one has made a non-briggs and stratton tier Straight 8 using modern manufacturing yet, thus why this thread exists. Some of us just want to see a modern one.

it doesn't when you've been "a car guy" for two weeks

>people that think anything that's not NA is cheating
bruh, for one, turbo is for mongs without displacement or a diesel or something
two, straight-8s run low, real fuckin low, why put a turbo on a gas engine that's making it's power all the way down there?

Are you some sort of poorfaggot that has to maximize $/power?

The only nostalgiafaggotry that makes sense is carbs, if only because they're easier to tune.

The rest is just guys with slow as shit cars and big bore engines that can't handle boost crying when faster, more fuel efficient cars with less manly sounding exhausts lap them.

I don't wan't the car, i want the engine.
DOHC str8-8 would be dumb though, and then Veeky Forums would say someone just welded two cylinders on a bmw like wtf does Veeky Forums know anything about manufacturing?

>if only because they're easier to tune.
Go ahead and tune a quadrajet, i'll be here waiting.
Carbs are easier to tune with single barrels which is the only thing Veeky Forums has experience with.

*Which are the only thing most people who miss carbs have experience with

>Veeky Forums is one person

yes?

two people if you count Alphonse as a person

>implying it isn't
>samefag errywhere

>DOHC str8-8 would be dumb though,
nice opinion bro

>0/10 bait

>has to run the valvetrain from the middle of the block
>OHC from the middle of the block
K bro, tell me geared pushrods wouldn't be easier to maintain.
Imagine throwing a belt and having to dissect a straight 8 from the middle of the block.

You're not running the thing at 10k RPM no matter how much you cry about it.

How the fuck are cams a maintenance item?
>The middle of the block, wut?
>10k rpm? wut?
>Timing belt? wut?

Literally wut

>How the fuck are cams a maintenance item?
You're asking how a valvetrains are maintenance items? Why are you on Veeky Forums? Do you always sell your hoopties before the timing belt snaps or something?

>>The middle of the block, wut?

It's pretty much accepted fact that you run the valvetrain between the 4th and 5th cylinder of a straight 8 because it limits torsional vibration on the cam.

Are you really going to b8 this hard?

Yeah dude, I'm not some retarded nostagia fag that doesn't know the purpose of DOHC and thinks it's only for revving high and thinks they can't use chains and thinks every engine is a POS pushrod piece of garbage with insane valve spring pressures that require 5000ppm of ZDDP or else they'll wipe out the lobes.

I live in a world where valvetrains last for 400k without any adjustment, where DOHC cams allow you to choose any powerband you want from peaky to stump-puller because the lobe separation angle is entirely adjustable and not fixed, where 6million lb springs dont need to be used because the valves arent actuated by hydro-poles. Seriously dude, everything you think about cars is pleb tier boomer meme shit.

Oh yeah, and good luck with your reverse flow flat head bullshit you idiot. Jesus, do you know what year it is?

>all this namedropping
lmao, anyway OHC is cool and all but OHV would be much easier to service if needed.
chains are cool an all too but gears will last forever without worry.
On an engine as ridiculous as a straight 8, why make it any more retarded than it needs to be?

It's like four tops.

Really? Wow!