Looking to buy an rx8, can I get some advice?

Looking to buy an rx8, can I get some advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

rx8club.com/rx-8-discussion-3/200000-mile-club-210536/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Premix.
Get one post-'06

Be prepared for misconceptions.
Like this
>Premix.
>Get one post-'06
People are stupid here.

This
pre-06 had some oiling problem which is why you see lots of blown RX8s. Though it's more that problem compounding with owners driving them like fucktards.

Personal advice is if you want rotary buy an FC because the RX8 is just a stretch miata with doritos but if you like the RX8 you like the RX8 so do you senpai.

Thanks for the advice in the usual Veeky Forums fashion. Much apprieciated

Yeah, buy literally any other sports car but this, you'll probably just fuck it up anyways

What do you recommend I get then?

A 350Z because you don't know how to treat a rotary, have no experience with rotaries, and would become one of the idiots that do nothing but spit vitriol about rotaries because it broke due to your neglect

Well, op. Do you like replacing the engine every 80-100k miles? If so then maybe this is the car for you.

It has the most unreliable engine of all time.

Yes. Don't.

It's slow and unreliable. At least get an FD. Hell, an FC is better.

You can maintain a rotary like a god. Anything outside if a full build and it's gonna blow. I've owned FA up to FD. Worked on them all. It's a flawed design.

Two rotors, a crank, and a shaft
Yeah it's fucking difficult alright
Just get one if you want it, OP. If you have like 10 grand I'll sell you muh bridgeported Rx8

> Things that never happened

>FA
confirmed COINTELPRO

at least shitpost after researching

I wouldn't expect an apprentice at his dad's shop to know fuck all about properly fixing/maintaining a rotary

They're shit. All the gas mileage of a built or FI V8 with none of the torque.

What's the misconception here?

Why do people recommend the FC? I've seen it more recommended than the FD and FB

>FA

Ha. Whatever you say, bud.
I've worked on Cosmos.

Because the FC is all Veeky Forums can afford

Faster than the FB, cheaper than the FD, still has top tier suspension.

But I've heard good things about the 12a

You changed the oil on a Cosmo
Good for you

I mean it ain't bad

but the FC pulls better gees on the skidpad, makes more power stock, and came in a turbo trim that isn't ridiculously rare (though is still expensive enough to negate its price advantage to a degree) and also has a radical late-80s bubble economy interior rather than the FB's interior which really felt more like a 78 or something.

Whatever makes you feel better about your own uninteresting pathetic life, meanwhile I'm here.

Sucking on daddy's tit isn't what I would call a life, besides, how do you suck on it with that big ass shnoz?

Where's here? Your dads shop?

If it's really your dad's shop (I don't know you), you probably shouldn't be bragging about it. As far as "meanwhile I am here" - it's kind of like me posting a picture of me sitting in a cubicle, and saying "Meanwhile I am here." Doesn't really carry much weight without "my family owns this shit", at which point we get back to "Your family, not you."

I wanted one, but it's not worth it. The prices you see are for ones where the engine is starting to lose compression and is about to go. The opinion of the guy above does not apply, unless you also:

a). Work as a mechanic
b). Have access to a lift
c). Have very close friends/family that do

>Looking to buy an rx8, can I get some advice?

Don't.

I own it with my friend lol
My dad was here for a while when we opened as he's old and bored but the mans retired
Nothing to do with our shop
If it makes people feel better about their own lives then sure lmao

POO IN LOO you stinky paki

There's no such thing as starting to lose compression on a rotary. At least not for more than a dozen miles at best. Once an apex seal or side seal fails the compression will die hard.

I'm 100% murican friendo

I would need to know where you got the funding, training, tools, and your whole life story to know whether you actually got to where you are on your own, and if "where you are" is anywhere impressive.

I don't have first-hand experience, except driving a few rebuilt ones, which had shit compression on running it. Still, I was under the impression that they do die gradually - could be completely wrong.

If they had shit compression when you were driving them, they were already blown. It's like complaining that your third gen supra doesn't pull hard when you drive it on a blown headgasket so it's not making any compression.

Loans dood
I worked as freight broker before lol so I had some start up
Quite frankly I could give a shit if you're impressed

>If they had shit compression when you were driving them, they were already blown. It's like complaining that your third gen supra doesn't pull hard when you drive it on a blown headgasket so it's not making any compression.

I clearly stated it was a poor rebuild. I didn't imply that it says anything about the car in excellent condition. I still recommend OP not buy one to all the potential engine issues.

>Quite frankly I could give a shit if you're impressed

We are on the same page. You made this statement to someone:

>Whatever makes you feel better about your own uninteresting pathetic life

I questioned whether you are in a place where you can do so without being a hypocrite douche, but it doesn't really matter.

>FA
Haha nice try
>What's the misconception here?
Pic related is a S1 RX8 that was never premixed or warmed up or cooled down or any of the other random ass things people think you need to do

Honestly the only thing is frequent oil changes. Just fucking change every 2k.

3,000 miles is just fine friendo.

Are you that guy who btfo me in that FC thread?

When are you gonna teach me the gofast secrets senpai

What would you like to know

I have a question for you actually.

Why do you pretend to know what the fuck you're talking about?

When have i given innacurate information?

Is rotor scalloping a meme?
Do the available carburetor intakes have a superior intake path than stock intakes?
Is polishing the stock intake worth my time or money?
Would fuel starvation due to a dirty fuel pump strainer cause hesitation above 3800 RPM or do I have a grounding and/or 5/6th port issue? Doesn't present when throttle is held at part-open but torque drops as soon as you press to WOT.
Who makes good porting templates, and do the NZ/puerto rico guys really have super secret sauce ports that they'll die before they give up?
Should I rebuild my S4 diff with the thicker clutch plates mazdaspeed sells, or wait until I have enough power to need a kaaz and do that?
Do you think a skilled machinist could spline two e-shafts together and install stationary gears in intermediate plates? I am aware that you'd have to build two 2-rotor assemblies and slide them together because the e-shaft couldn't be shifted enough for assembly.
Do you have any tips pertaining to suspension tuning that are specific to the FC?
Who makes the best apex seals for boost?

get a Rx7

damn FDs cheap as fuck here and FCs well expensive

well let's start here
and that pic, and where you got it from

rx8club.com/rx-8-discussion-3/200000-mile-club-210536/

>Driving Environment/Habits: Approximately 90+% highway driving
That's why that ONE car made it that far, it spent its entire life in the rotary engine happy place (spinning at one constant speed). People that don't live solely on the interstate will not have the same result.

Whut?

Most unmolested FD's are 10k+

What happened to you looking at buying a FD

It would show its oiling issues (if they had any) at highway speeds just as well as city.
It would show heating and cooling issues on highway as well.
You dont seem to know how engines work and youre trying to argue for no reason.
Also there are plenty more RX8s with over 200k. Not just one

>Is rotor scalloping a meme?
No. It works well with tuning
>Do the available carburetor intakes have a superior intake path than stock intakes?
This is debateable and IMO you can do a lot more with fuel injection
>Is polishing the stock intake worth my time or money?
Nope
>Would fuel starvation due to a dirty fuel pump strainer cause hesitation above 3800 RPM or do I have a grounding and/or 5/6th port issue?
Shouldnt be fuel pump related. Could be different things for S4 and S5 models. start with 5th/6th. They are ultra easy to check. Then TPS. And the ground at ECU.
>Who makes good porting templates, and do the NZ/puerto rico guys really have super secret sauce ports that they'll die before they give up?
Never heard of NZ or puerto rico special ports. Also it depends on what youre going for. Also most name brand places are best.
>Should I rebuild my S4 diff with the thicker clutch plates mazdaspeed sells, or wait until I have enough power to need a kaaz and do that?
How many miles you got? My stock LSD still worked fine over 200k miles. Get away from clutch type if you want to make big power (300+)
>Do you think a skilled machinist could spline two e-shafts together and install stationary gears in intermediate plates? I am aware that you'd have to build two 2-rotor assemblies and slide them together because the e-shaft couldn't be shifted enough for assembly.
What would be the purpose?
>Do you have any tips pertaining to suspension tuning that are specific to the FC?
Eliminate the toe in system, coilovers arent always better. But it depends on what youre building it for. There are different specs for autox or full on race cars.
>Who makes the best apex seals for boost
IMO mazda. But thats debatabe too.

>You dont seem to know how engines work and youre trying to argue for no reason
Sure thing, bud.

It is a fact that rotary engines will live a long time if they are running at one constant speed for the majority of its life versus experiencing varying speeds and loads all the time.

>can I get some advice?

Don't

that is some serious manlet status right there

>How many miles you got? My stock LSD still worked fine over 200k miles. Get away from clutch type if you want to make big power (300+)
Supposedly pulled at 150k from a TII and it does seem to favor one wheel over the other slightly but I'm NA so I think it should be fully locked for burnouts?
>Never heard of NZ or puerto rico special ports. Also it depends on what youre going for. Also most name brand places are best.
I've heard rumors that the drag racers there keep their porting secret.
>What would be the purpose?
4 rotor. Would need additional bearings in the intermediate plates too, I think. (Pipedream)
>This is debateable and IMO you can do a lot more with fuel injection
I've thought of (in the event I stay with my 6 port and decide to try to make NA power) going standalone ECU and using a weber intake and EFI weber throttle bodies.

Is there any one piece of advice you would tell an S4 NA owner who wants to go fast other than don't equinox and don't boost on 208k mile seals?

Why do you guys care what GS400guy does? If he does own what he claims to own so what and if he's lying oh well it's not like he's gaining anything lol

Go as light as possible.
My old 86GXL was 2400lbs with full interior.
Thats what made it fun. Also the lightest wheels possible helps.

Can I have a job? i'm a shitty mechanic, but I know shit and I'm excellent with customers and paperwork

Thank you chapman
Tein type HA gonna go on today and I'll see how they feel. And I'll patch that coolant leak on the plastic endtank of the radiator.
Maybe put my alu undertray on.

Don't. Best advice there is.

I still want it, but a perfect E46 M3 came up with everything I want on it (shy of the supercharger)
I can always sell the Rx8 and get a FD later if I wanted

I've had dozens of people from Veeky Forums at the shop from as far as Canada and Utah who were here on vacation/visiting
I gain nothing from lying about it lol

Do you even live remotely close by?

just how expensive is it to get parts for a Cosmo? I know that parts for FD's are already starting to get a bit more expensive but is nothing compared to that big sexy beauty's maintenance costs.

Depends on what
I did a water pump on that one specifically

>open thread
>subhuman gypsy shitposting

sage 2bh