Top tier gas

do you fill up with top tier gas user

>top tier gas has often three to four times the minimum EPA rating of detergents

toptiergas.com/retailers/

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/
thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/
writing.colostate.edu/guides/guide.cfm?guideid=83
multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMxmZO8teNv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
s3.amazonaws.com/associationcommunicationfiles/PDF/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Oil_LP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Farms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

waste of money

in my opinion it can do nothing to help a direct injected engine. might be wonderful for a carbed engine or port injected

I always fill up with premium diesel. The additives used are pretty good for your injectors life.

It blows my mind when people driving new bimmers/mercs/audis just go in there and fill up with regular diesel or even worse, fill up in supermarket pumps with the shittiest quality diesel/gas available.

Well I don't waste money on my gas, but I use QuikTrip if it's available, Chevron if it's the only option. Usually I go to Shell or RaceTrac. Murphy if I'm feeling cheap.

biodiesel is the best of all for the injectors. but i rarely if ever see more than one kind of diesel to chose from. around here you are lucky if its not even red

It's literally the same price as regular gas. And if not it's only 2 cents more per gallon

biodiesel rapes common rail injectors

Yeah, I don't trust corporate propagandist bullshit

>more detergents to clean out carbon deposits is a conspiracy

Why is it that literally no one knows what they are talking about when it comes to gas?

>toptiergas.com/retailers/
That list is like every gas station I've ever heard of and more.

Anyway I usually use premium, occasionally I'll fill up with mid grade if I'm low on cash.

Stupid Volvo and its fancy gas needing turbo i5.

>implying they actually put any of that shit in the gas
>implying that all those companies is listed aren't some part of a price fixing scheme
>implying it isn't the same old corporate trickery that's been going on for years

Biodiesel will fuck up modern diesel injectors.

fuck off or post proper arguments instead of tinfoil retardation

Because there is no difference. Companies get together and make stupid clubs like "top tier" for marketing purposes. Gasoline is a solvent, it's a natural cleaner.

lol

lol

t. I don't know shit about modern diesel injector tolerance and maintenace

>supermarket fuel

Is this an American thing?

I just mix in some 2 stroke oil to give me some of dat lubing. Sometimes I buy some kind of additives, but I think most of them are just placebo.

Everything rapes common rail injectors.

Nah. It's an european thing too.
It's basically low cost pumps owned by some supermarket chains.
There're also some low cost independent brands.

Shills most likely.

Should I use Shell V-Power 91 or Petro Ultra 94? I think the latter is 10% ethanol.

The less ethanol the better, especially if its an old car. Ethanol kills the gaskets.

t. I drive a 1.4l fiat and waste money on snake oil additives

>Is this an American thing?
Supermarkets such as Wal-Mart and Sam's Club (owned by wal-mart) do that because there is money to be made. Unlike other gasoline sold by Top Tier places, Sam's and wal-mart have basically the minimum legally required additive package in the fuel. That would be the 1995 EPA requirement for detergent and that is pretty low.

AAA in a gasoline test released this summer, proved that Top Tier gasoline reduced carbon deposits approximately 19 times versus non top-tier gas. Costco did its own lab tests years ago and came to similar conclusions that having more PEA detergent in the gasoline was better for engine longevity. So that's why Costco (Kirkland) is also a Top Tier gasoline even though that reduces Costco's profits by putting in a more costly additive package. Meanwhile, lots of people don't care and keep on buying walmart / sam's club gasoline.

>do you fill up with top tier gas user
My engine has valves, cat, and piston heads have upper surfaces, so yes.

consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

The test engine is a Ford 2.3 liter mounted to a dynomometer. Costco is better than Walmart at providing value and tested products for its members. Sam's Club (walmart) treats the members more like customers who pay to shop rather than as members getting benefits.

As to the actual, it seems pretty true. AAA had a recent test of Top Tier gasolines versus non Top Tier gasolines. Their detailed report came out this summer, so the results are current.

newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/

Top Tier detergent requirements are clearly good enough and cheaper than buying Techron additive. If your valves are all carboned up though, Top Tier gas can reduce some but it takes a long time, so to get clean you might need a lot of overdosing with PEA additive. That's why it is good to start new cars out on Top Tier and stay there. Techron all-system isn't the one with the highest amount of PEA or best price performance ratio as determined in various auto enthusiast forums.

thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/

www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

As said by thetruthaboutcars, according to the AAA study, the non-Top Tier fuel caused carbon deposits that were 19 times higher than the deposits from the Top Tier fuel. They also saw better drivability and better fuel economy when the better fuel was used. Emissions were also reduced, likely due to the ban of metallic additives in Top Tier fuel. The 1995 EPA fuel standard minimum requirements were designed to meet emissions targets but didn’t account for modern engine longevity.

Sam's Club gas is minimum quality.

Nice post. But it's good to mention that it's not just Costco, about 1/3rd of the gas stations in the US use top tier.

Unfortunately for me, everything around here is Marathon and Speedway. Which both suck ass.

Thankfully there's one BP in the town.

>Because there is no difference

wrong

Usually Shell, 76, or Chevron for me.

Aloha Petroleum
Amoco
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Break Time
Cenex
Chevron
CITGO
Conoco
Co-op
Costco
CountryMark
CountryMark Plus
Diamond Shamrock
Entec
Esso
Express
Exxon
Holiday
Kwik Star Stores
Kwik Trip
Mahalo
MFA
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Petro-Canada
Phillips 66
PUMA
QT
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Shell (Puerto Rico)
Shell V-Power
Shell V-Power NiTRO+
Sinclair
Standard
SuperAmerica
SuperFuels
Tempo
Texaco
Tri-Par
Valero

If you want walmart and Sam's Club gas to meet Top Tier standards, then write on their suggestion forms that they get Top Tier gas for their customers as well. If they don't get customer pressure to change, they won't.

Walmart and Sam's Club makes more profit from selling gas with minimum required additives. Unfortunately, selling better gas would decrease walmart's sales of all those additive products, so they sort of like having gas with minimum quality. Selling minimum quality gas helps them sell more automotive gas additive products in the end.

Seriously. Where does one even find the shittier stuff?

haha, good one user.
You are joking right?

Any gas station chain not named on that list, or a locally owned gas station that just gets gas from wherever they fucking can that is the cheapest

>piston heads have upper surfaces

yes?

That dyno cell looks fucking awful.
I would slap my technician if he kept the cell in that condition.

If the company can't keep its test facility clean then why would you trust their results? Any good engine test facility thats iso9001 (or equivalent) rated requires a minimum level of cleanliness in scientific research areas.

If they can't even wipe the oily finger prints off their test rig then what chance is there of their test kit being verified and calibrated correctly?
Close to fuck all I'd say.

I don't see your point.
Explain yourself

>

>Seriously. Where does one even find the shittier stuff?
Wal-mart gas stations under various brands.
Sam's Club gas (owned by walmart).
Convenience store gas.
Fleets.
Various farms have their own gas pumps.
The great majority of gas sold is not top tier.

If you look at the business my local Sam's Club gets with its many pumps always full of cars, it dwarfs the business all the chevrons, shells, texaco, and phllips 76 stations in my whole area put together. Because it only uses cards, the transactions are also faster than the regular service stations that use cash transactions in order to obtain the listed price. Use of cards at those name brand stations comes with a surcharge.

If piston heads didn't have upper surfaces, then carbon deposits wouldn't occur on them. Same with valves. So those people who have gas engines that don't use valves or pistons wouldn't benefit so much from Top Tier gasoline. That is what that poster meant.

It's in New Zealand as well but you only find it at Pak 'N Save, which is sells everything in bulk.

> use petrol to clean parts before I reassemble them
> hurr durr only high octane fuel can clean engine parts
Nigga what?

I also had to explain what a fuel filter is to the women i work with cause the TV advertisement said you'll get dirt in your engine from low octane fuel, so you must buy lel good stuff for 35c/liter more ($6/gallon for amerifats)

Any company that preys on ignorant peoples fears sounds like bullshit to me

Show me a side by side analysis and not a valve that could look like shit for a plethora of reasons. Poor air filtration, contaminated gas, poor combustion, valve isn't seating properly and the list goes on. You are on the defensive so you look weak.

Oh I checked 'em

It's amazing how much hate the butthurt people have for being wrong. They demand proof expecting none exists so they are smug. Then when the current proof hits them in the face, they continue objecting.

They cling like bigots to their errors and deny test results and common sense logic.

I only use Chevron Supreme in my personal vehicle since I've had high performance engines ~2012.

-Not a poorfag

You fucking idiot, what do you think the engine is doing to the petrol? It burns it. What do you think happens to burned fuel? It forms carbon

You fucking faggots need to take chemistry. It's like saying
"LOL I always use charcoal to light my grill. Why can't I use diamonds???"

provide actual proof for all of this or fuck off to >implying they actually put any of that shit in the gas
>implying that all those companies is listed aren't some part of a price fixing scheme
>implying it isn't the same old corporate trickery that's been going on for years

>They demand proof expecting none exists so they are smug.
Yeah except all those tens of thousands cars that have done tens of thousands of miles exclusively on cheap supermarket fuel with no fuel systems issues.

Do what you want, and I'll do what I want

Top Tier is a standard, not the highest available octane

Those are both articles about a study. They don't explicitly say that the gasolines are the same octane or if the nontop-tier gasoline has an epa approved additive package. I want some peer reviewed studies. You know actual scientific papers not this shit-tier article written for casuals.

Maybe if I had a new car, and I was intending on keeping it for a quarter or a million miles, but my car has 150k. I'm not concerned with this bullshit. I'll follow the owner's manual, and leave it at that.

91 octane at a gas station I wont be mugged at, works for me.

>doesn't even read study
>p-peer reviewed please!

Honestly armchair scientists like you would be better off doing the world a favor and killing yourselves, go back to r.eddit

I'm at 160 on whatever I bought. It's a scam.

Nigga you think your magical fuel burns so cleanly it leaves no trace behind? How are you still alive being this retarded?

This is a different person. I'm just looking for some peer studies.

He obviously doesn't. He even said as much.
U R retard.

>I'm just looking for some peer studies.
this is the saddest thing i've ever read on Veeky Forums.
get a social life m9

Did you read the rest of the thread?
Some cunt is getting upset because no one else buys expensive petrol.

I'm sorry, but where was the link to the actual paper written about the study? Are you going to keep insulting me or cough up some real proof? Do you even know what a properly written paper looks like? Here's a link to the basic format if you need help.
writing.colostate.edu/guides/guide.cfm?guideid=83

Australia also has supermarket pumps, but they're that bad. Pretty standard these days.

Losers like this are all the same, they're professional goal post movers

They always slide the scale like so

>bullshit, prove it with an article
>o-okay well that's bullshit! that's just an article not a study! i want a study!!
>o-okay it's a study....well it's not good enough! I want a peer reviewed study
>s-shit it's peer reviewed? not good enough, I want more studies!!
>more studies? well too bad! those sources are unreliable! looks like I win lol

please just kys

cool story bro

Oh man. Why are you so mad that you can't find anything but these articles that refer to the same study that doesn't have a published paper to accompany it? This is standard scientific process buddy.

kys

Anger is a true sign of weakness in a debate. If you had a solid counter you might actually be convincing.

>live in a neighborhood w/ a costco 5 mins away
I drive in sport mode erryday

>gets a study
>says it's not good enough
>does all of the faggotry outlined in

You are the adult equivalent of a 5 year old who says "prove it" even when you've been given actual proof, you aren't putting forth anything constructive or contributing to any sort of discussion you're just being an ignoramus

There is a reason that gas has detergents in it

Like I explained before that isn't a study. I even sent you a link to review so you could understand what a scientific paper looks like. It's an article about a study that leaves out many important details of said study. I'm not casual enough to be convinced by a picture of a dynamometer and dirty valves.

I will be switching to Top Tier gas, but I have been using the cheap minimum quality gas for a long time. So I wanted to try to reduce the deposits a little bit faster by adding more Polyether Amine (PEA) detergent additive to the Top Tier fuel.

Which additives have the most PEA in them. I wanted the most bang for my buck when buying the additives. Someone said that the complete fuel system Techron doesn't have the most PEA of the additive bottles out there. I know techron also has a fuel injector cleaner and that is not the one to use for PEA.

You keep moving the goal posts further and further out. Now you disqualify any study that doesn't even have the physical publishing text format you require.

Since the study results have been given, and there is widespread acceptance by various automotive publications, by consumer reports, by costco which did its own studies, and of course by the AAA itself, it is reasonable to accept the results.

Therefore, the people in this thread who deny it have the burden of proof placed upon them to prove that the results are false. They need to prove that PEA doesn't reduce carbon deposits. They also need to prove that 3 to 4 times the minimum required PEA doesn't reduce deposits by 19 times. There are also a number of other results they need to prove before these Veeky Forums trolls can have any credibility.

If you tried to cite that in an academic paper you would be laughed out of the room. If there is no paper written on the study its like it didn't happen. There is no transparency in either article. Why don't they want to share the scientific paper that had to be written on this study. The burden of proof is on you because you are citing two articles written about the same study and neither of them cites anything about the study from any other source. Do you know anything about scientific method? What you have presented is not proof that top-tier is any better than any other epa approved blend. There is no need for people to go out of their way to buy this gas.

PEA is an excellent fuel system and engine detergent. The best that I am aware of.
Buy a can of Protec and see for yourself.

>valves

full kek

QT has the cheapest gas around and it's Top Tier. No reason not to go there

>Which additives have the most PEA in them.

3M published the contents listing of its PEA product "3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner" for use by medical professionals who might have to treat people exposed to harmful amounts of these petrochemical products.

multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMxmZO8teNv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

George Bush junior modified the business laws to allow more vague specifications. The older data releases were much more specific even down to the percentage. However, businesses must have lobbied for more trade secret protections so the PEA content is specified as ranging from 30% to 60%. Obviously, it cannot be 60% because even the minimum levels of other components would force a lower number. Thus, the business law changes must now allow some deceptive numbers to be published.

Techron fuel system cleaner should be at 32% PEA content.

Other fuel system cleaner products containing large amounts of PEA detergent are:
Amsoil Performance Improver
BG Products 44K
Gumout Regane
Redline SI-1

There are probably others. But my local NAPA store doesn't have them on the shelf. There's 2 other amine types of gasoline detergents, but PEA is the best known one since it is the most effective.

Picture: as asserted by trolls the crime data from the FBI may be wrong because it was not published in scientific format in formal academic papers.

Someone was robbed and killed last year in my city as reported in the newspaper. But the troll asserts this is false because it was not reported in scientific format in an academic paper.

Yeah. Just like ISO 9000 is an old boys' club.

Who's to say it isn't?

>tfw the only 91 octane that will get you an advance multiplier of 1 is the sketch EZ Mart.
"""Top tier""" they said

but shell v power smells the best

The article is in the study. Why do you want to be spoonfed so badly?

s3.amazonaws.com/associationcommunicationfiles/PDF/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf

Study is in the article*
Either way read it for yourself

1.3* user

>burning shit doesn't leave residue

All gas leaves residue you fag, top tier snake oil won't help it.

A redline a day keeps the carbon buildup away.

If it has a lot of detergent it will. Or are you one of these conspiracy faggots who think its all marketing ploys to make more money on a product they all charge the same for?

>tfw poppet valve

Water is formed too. Pretty basic chemical reaction, honestly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Oil_LP

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Farms

Learn more about where your gas comes from.

This is interesting, piston top deposits are essentially unchanged and cylinder head deposits are higher for top-tier. Very suspicious for a supposedly cleaner fuel. I smell bullshit.

Is it okay to run premium in an engine that suggests regular unleaded(f150 5.0 V8 no ecoboost)

>Is it okay to run premium in an engine

Relative to your situation, except for octane level differences (often accomplished via ethanol), switching from minimum quality gasoline to Top Tier gasoline is sort of like getting premium already.

In my area, Sam's Club prices their gas one cent lower than BP just to say it is the lowest priced gas. But the BP is Top Tier while Sam's is minimal legal tier.

All fuel for every gas station comes from the same loading rack, which comes from a pipeline.
All gas stations get the exact same gas, the only difference is the additives they add when filling the truck up.
Sometimes the system that adds the additives breaks and you have to manually add x amount of bottles of techron to the truckload of gas via the top hatch.
One time a driver dropped his phone out of his shirt pocket when adding the additive, shit was p kek.
I got a bottle of pure techron additive this way once too, dumped that bitch in my car, had to be the most concentrated tank of techron gas to ever exist.

I just get the cheapest gas, usually from costco

>putting detergent in his gas

so should i pour clorox in my gas tank or tidus?