What happened to these durable rubber shifter boots...

What happened to these durable rubber shifter boots? Its almost like all cars past the 90s came with those shitty faux leather ones that wear out in a few years.

those are actually less durable. also people got automatics.

Original 1986 and still going strong

They're actually really shitty and tear easily.

>thick rubber
>less durable

Then how come steering rack boots are made like this?

because they don't look nice. these days even your shitty yaris has to have a interior that looks premium.

becuase thats plastic, not rubber

never liked them
always felt like they added resistance

Wut?
1992 and going stronk

I have to assume it's because they don't fit the A E S T H E T I C that modern manufacturers and designers are looking for.

However, the rubber boot is to 80s-90s funboxes what the gated shifter is to the beautiful Italians of the 60s-70s.

I think they look nice.
They look high quality.

I think the hundreds of thousands of shitboxes with intact boots contradict that

The two rubber boots in my 88 mitsubishi are fine. The leather ones in my 99 maxima and 05 escape are both ripped

The 01-04 escape had a rubber boot with a longer truck-like shifter that I wish I had in my '05. The 05-07 went to a leather shorter throw shifter like a car has. The manual transmission is the escape's only redeeming quality...

>Its almost like all cars past the 90s came with those shitty faux leather ones that wear out in a few years.

I own a 13 year old car with fake leather shift boot. It has but one tear in it.

Would honestly prefer the faux leather boot to the accordion rubber. I'm sorry, it's ugly. I'd rather pay to replace the faux leather every 5 years.

>A E S T H E T I C that modern manufacturers and designers are looking for.
You mean shit, to match the shit apartment building you're driving to?

i remember not being able to resist pinching the rubber, such relief it brings.

>not getting custom real leather boots commissioned

Honda did right by my car.

>Muh twingo
>everythin is round or circle based - headlights rear lights doorhandles headrest air vents etc
>square rubber shifter boot
Wut

>right
>looks like a unicorn dick

>not enjoying the best shifter location

Based af, also I don't really feel that
I've driven my 85 gl with a stock boot, no boot and the stock one, no difference to me

Not really

>Sees something strange
>First thing that comes to his mind is a penis of a mythological creature
To me it looks like a tow hook, you dick-obsessed faggot

Fuck all boots
What happened to the gated manual

>tfw no leather shifter boot in the shape of the rubber ones

;_;

it would be so comfy

>never will be able to feel that click
why live

I love those shifters on Honda user. I was thinking about picking up an early 2000's hatch and stripping it for a track car, only issue is that I already have a FWD car, and I'd rather put money into something like a miata

Honestly the car is perfect with aftermarket suspension. Its a perfect rice rocket. The k20a3 may be underated in power compared to the rest of the k series motors but for how much the car weighs and its power it rips pretty good. If i decided to strip it and do carbon fiber parts i could probably shave 450 pounds off the car easy.

>pic related, my rice rocket

>That fitment
Jesus christ get some wider wheels preferably ones that aren't scraped up

Now that is a beautiful gear shifter.
>10/10 would shift gears.

>If i decided to strip it and do carbon fiber parts i could probably shave 450 pounds off the car easy.
>stripped out civic on the street
top rice

They were unpleasant to look at. Luxury designs moved on because no one wanted some look at some ugly ribbed piece of rubber in their $50k car. Only econoboxes and other utilitarian designs still had them until automatics became the norm.

What is keeping dirt from falling into the shifter mechanism?

Tell me about the shifter position bruh.
I really love your car but can't get over that goofy placement and it just looks uncomfortable. I would have bought one a while ago if it wasn't for that.

i noticed it more on my mazda

do you eat in your car or something?
disgusting. my car stays clean maybe some dust but nothing really

Buying a knock off STI shifter from eBay

Literally anything was better than the original "leather" shift knob. Looked like a dog chewed on it. The knockoff one is alright. Feels good in my hand and didn't cost a gorillion dollars like a real STi shifter.

this is my fav shift knob

I never said that they were making the right choice; I just think that's why we're seeing the *luxurious* pleather boots.

>not cutting your own gated shifter in with cad

how is this magic done?
why does it flicker when i scroll?

>faux leather
Instead of being bitch made about not having a rubber boot, how's about you take a look at your life and wonder why your boot isn't real leather?

>ep3
my nigga

>TFW animu gurl is right.

Now that is an interesting way of thinking about it, great comparison user. I've alwayd found rugged rubber shift boots quite appropiate in the cars they came in.

Pic related.