[STUPID LAWS THREAD]

[STUPID LAWS THREAD]

>mfw am Italian and it is against the law to modify vehicles in any possible way
>mfw I can't even put better breaks on it therefore making it safer
>mfw I'll never have a cool old car without spending thousands in validations

What are the stupid rules of your country, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vegvesen.no/Kjoretoy/Kjop og salg/Kjøretøyopplysninger?registreringsnummer=AX83993
youtube.com/watch?v=KjgOXm059Ok
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw am Italian and it is against the law to modify vehicles in any possible way

(͡°͜ʖ͡°)

>germany
>drifting is considered "a failure to control the vehicle" and will be fined
Help me out here, but isn't a true drift the exact opposite by Definition?

Switzerland here, about the same as what OP posted.

Red turn signals illegal after model year 1969, legal earlier only if factory equipped, sequential turn signals illegal altogether.

based Germany

I don't know if you'd be fined for drifting here, but you'd definitely have to pay for speeding (since you are going to speed to drift well enough).

Thing is, you can drift if you are sure no cops are there. Instead if I modify my car and someone reports it I'm fucked, or even if the police stops me for a normal random check and feel there is something strange they ARE going to check. And rape you in the ass.

Can't change wheel, can't change gearstick, can't put on tires I choose that aren't approved, can't change the lightbulbs if I don't get the stock ones...it sucks.

Speaking of based Germany, ground clearance under 80 mm or 3.2 inches illegal, scraping stancefags btfo.

feel you fellow mandolino

>>mfw I'll never have a cool old car without spending thousands in validations
ausfag here what the fuck is validations?

Engineering probably

>can only have two extra headlights on your car
Not one, not three or more. Just two

And the total amount of light cannot exceed a certain "percentage", even tho more lights of the same type does not make the light sharper or go longer...

>What are the stupid rules of your country, Veeky Forums?
Couple of gay rules about what inexperienced drivers can't drive, "hoon laws" which are an excuse for highway patrol scum to shake folks down for cash.

Why not just do it anyway, Luigi? Nobody needs to know about that LS1 in your Fiat.

Australia's fucked

I think he means getting the modifications registered...

as far as i know the only viable way is making it look as if you sold the car to a german buyer, then register the mods through the german TUV (which is expensive), then buy back the car with all the mods regularly registered on the car's papers.

and even then, you might still run into a douche italian cop who doesn't know shit about this stuff and will still ruin our day

>Nobody needs to know about that LS1 in your Fiat.
Except, you know, when you have to drag it to inspections every two years (or is it annually in Italy?).

>Except, you know, when you have to drag it to inspections every two years (or is it annually in Italy?).
And here I was thinking the Italians threw out their dictators.

well yes nobody will probabily ever check what's under the hood... you might get away with some minor mods
however you can't use wheels/tyres of a different size from what's written on the car's papers either, and that's something they can check very easily

i think it's 4 years the first time, then every 2.
i doubt they carefully check your engine for mods, but crazy swaps are out of the question

>QLD
No just that state
Really? Only mods that are illegal here are ones that arnt really justifyable

Like drag slicks on a road car
Rollcage on a daily driver
Unengineered/dumb shit like lowered chopped springs or excessive raised ride height

Basically the cops target jdm tyte boyracer faggots and young drivers 16-24 because they cant fucking drive and rape shitbox cars by crashing them, doing skids infront of cops you know stupid fucking shit that wouldnt be out of place in a mad max movie

>No just that state
Isn't too bad up here for car stuff. Our highway scum can't pursue folks and Revenue Policing Command is too busy setting up obvious speed traps to do anything.

P-plate laws are a bit shit (and inconsistent, since the RX-8 is too dangerous but a Lotus Elise, or the S2K and NSX are fine) but that applies wherever they are present.

that makes sense, unfortunately good sense and italian laws hardly ever go together.

i guess the reason why you can't is that you could make your car unsafe, but the fact you can't even get your mods checked and registered is frankly infuriating... yet another reason why car culture in italy is completely dead

Legal height 100mm
Tyres poking out of guards
Uncovered pod filters

The fact that an unqualified hwp can send you to an auvis, epa station or etc. because they deem something to be non-standard (which they likely have no clue about) on the vehicle is absurd.

Well, they're not going to pull your engine apart and check for aftermarket camshafts or stroker kits, but they're going to notice engine swaps or new headers and stuff like that, plus you still have to pass emissions.

arent they forced to accept the modification if the parts are TÜV certified?

thats not true

there are a lot of tire-rim combinations for almost every car, even if they are different than the factory ones.

nobody cares what you do to your interieur. if you want to lower your suspension, pay 50eur and get a tuv approval.

its not that hard to get your modifications legal.

well you can have 4 if you disable the stock ones

True, or if its a light truck

Fuck those laws, they make just about no sense

Agreed.

i'd fucking fight them in court if they ever pulled that shit on me

hey, atleast we're allowed to do SOME things if it is properly documented

Yup, but we're allowed to do less and less every year; can no longer get bullbars approved apparently.

Also been looking into how to get my HiLux approved with something like 245/70R17, but I'm completely unable to find the documentation papers saying that this should be alright

Consider buying a weekend classic car.
Go check the terms and conditions for registering a car as "classic".
Benefits : exempt from all taxes, including registration - you save several thousand euros a year
Conditions :
>30 years must have passed since the car ceased production
>only original parts, and period corect paint and wheels. - fair enough
>special, extremely strict and pretentious registration inspection - fair enough
>special MOT every 2 years only at national MOT centers. - ....fine
>recommended to garage it and only use it for shows. - ....hmmm okay
- YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 MONTH PERIOD SPECIAL INSURANCE ONLY FROM CLASSIC CAR CERTIFIED INSURANCE COMPANIES

Fuck you gubment, we're not allowed to DD classic cars. You either re-new your insurance every 30 days, or you pay several thousand euros a year in taxes.

Wouldn't you usually get the okay for different size tires from the vehicle manufacturer?

PA bans the sale of cars on sunday. (?????)

Texas forces dealers to close one day of the week, they all chose Sunday.

>Fuck you gubment, we're not allowed to DD classic cars.
Yes you can, i do, register it as a normal car.

>it won't pass inspection/emission
bullshit, it won't pass inspection because your lazy ass doesn't keep it in good enough shape to stay on the road and it's only bound by emissions from the year it was made.
>Pre-63 straight pipe okay

My car doesn't even have seatbelts and nobody blinks an eye

>insurance is too much!
No it's not, Hagerty will hook you up.

bullbars have been that way since 2007 i think, but all it takes is for someone to run an ARB bar for example through the approval process and they'll be ok too

Try calling Arctic Trucks to see if they have any info about the tires

Toyota used to be very happy to do this, but for some reason they're not doing it anymore

i'm not American. i'm European.
A 3.6 litre Jaaaag XJS can cost between 2000 and 4000 euros/ year to insure.
Hell, an E39 520d can cost 1500-2000 euros / year to insure. Registering such a car : over 900 euros in enviroment tax alone.

>bullshit, it won't pass inspection because your lazy ass doesn't keep it in good enough shape to stay on the road and it's only bound by emissions from the year it was made.
Nope, everything gets checked : brakes, lights, emissions.
Every part is checked if it's OEM. You are not allowed to put anything but OEM.

Can't think of any. we have the most relaxed vehicle laws in Europe and still have the safest roads

Gonna try calling Toyota tomorrow and hear what they have to say. Its not like I plan to put some massive offroad tires on it, just some slightly larger ones so I get more tires to choose from, and a more filled wheel arch

>A 3.6 litre Jaaaag XJS can cost between 2000 and 4000 euros/ year to insure.

That's actually not bad though, that sounds as much as a brand new sports car from America.

>You are not allowed to put anything but OEM.

das gay
wonder if Swissoland is easier on cars in that regard.

To put it into perspective, an average insurance for a 40'something guy with an engine from 1.6 to 2.0 is about 100 euros/year.

There is only one solution
drive illegaly, fuk da one time

you can go 5% bigger legally without any issues tho

Yup, but with the car being approved at 205/16 I'm already in the danger zone with the 225/75/16 I'm running

vegvesen.no/Kjoretoy/Kjop og salg/Kjøretøyopplysninger?registreringsnummer=AX83993

>mandatory front license plate
>engine going into car can't be older than the vehicle itself (as far as they know)
>every car needs factory cats and mufflers

Carbureted cars can get around having no cats which means everyone changes their mufflers too. Cops are all boomers too so they never give tickets.

Although it DOES say in the title that its also approved for 255/70/15, so I'm not quite sure

I'll probably just end up getting a set of cheap used wheels for the truck, put 245/75/16 Hakkapelitta 8's on them and keep the old ones incase of inspection

Minnesota is the same. Sunday is the only day to go to a dealership and windowshop without being bothered

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal on all public roads to lose traction (not sure about snow, I'm Australian)

Australia.
guy i know stole a rifle and sold it for drugs. admitted to stealing it and getting rid of it. $500 fine.

i drove an unregistered car 2km with no number plates. $2400 fine.

you WILL get done by highway patrol if you chirp at the lights in the wet due to a tiny bit too much gas, completely unintentional.

they don't give a fuck if you're a regular person and not even trying to hoon, you better get it perfect or you'll get impounded.

regular cops are alright blokes though, they try and make up for the crap highway patrol does.

fun fact: victorian hwy patrol impounded some guy for losing traction in the snow, left him out there with no car and no lift home, he went missing and the SES had to get a chopper out to find him in the snow.

every australian should be lobbying to dismantle the highway patrol completely on grounds of corruption and give their resources to the regular cops (who are decent blokes most of the time, they're fair and will only do you if you've done something wrong)

>Oklahoma, USA
Technically it's a federal law to keep emissions equipment in place, but there's no one to enforce and check it here. You can do literally anything. I'm sure most flyover states are the same.

>illegal to lose traction
What if someone hits you and you spin out? Can you get ticketed for losing traction or losing control in that case?

That would totally fuck me, my turd gen has a metric fuckton of low end torque, sometimes it's hard to not get a little wheelspin even in the dry. Not a full on chirp or squeal, but you can hear and feel it scratch on the pavement a bit.

sounds sweet. enjoy it while it lasts.

the law is clear. it is illegal to lose traction.

yea you'll have no problem with regular cops, or sa/wa highway patrol.

vic, nsw and qld highway patrol will literally impound you right there on the spot, they are literally nazis.

the vic ones will try and get a bribe out of you, they're notorious for it.

i'm by no means anti cop, the regular ones are fair and honest...but dear fucking god highway patrol makes me come close to hating cops.

no matter how polite, how nice you are or even if you've literally done nothing wrong, if you've been pulled over by one you have a 1% chance of getting out of there without a fine for something.

should be sustained loss of traction, it's fucking insane to impound someone for a tiny chirp at the lights, there's a difference between 0.2 extra revs and some cunt dropping the clutch for an intentional burnout.

Thank God I live in a state without emissions or inspections.

Wow straya stop being cucks any time.

There are two sides to every medal. In return you have to share your roads with all sorts of death traps.

Would the cops not at least pull you over if you were driving that?

I agree with emissions, however some inspections i think is a good thing. for example

The way texas does it is pretty nice. Cars 25 and older are exempt from emissions tests, just a general inspection, like lights, horn, tires, basic stuff. Anything newer has to pass emissions, OBDI cars take a sniffer test and OBDII cars are tested through the diagnostic port.

I just hope that they don't flip the law around when OBDII cars start becoming exempt so that they still have to pass the emissions test through the diagnostic port, despite being 25.

Hueland
Recently a new law was introduced that you must use your low beans in the highway during the day
A year after most manufacturers started to install automatic headlights that turn on/off depending on how bright is outside
The government collected over 18k tickets in less than a month because of that
Also, some streets are considered highways for some reason, and cops just park on them and keep ticketing every one who passes with the headlights off

It's fucking stupid

Worth it.

lmao how is br not a third world country

Oh man, I was planning on living in Italy for a few years, but if I can't even boost the fuck out of a groddy ass fiat then why bother?

Can I throw in the Minnesota emissions laws we had back in the 90's as stupid? They're gone now, but you could literally drive in with a test piped with no muffler and they'd do the test 3 times, $20 a time and if you failed all 3 they gave you a pass automatically so it was just a $60 tax a year.

>live in Arkansas
>no emissions
>no inspections
>no exhaust or any modification laws
Feels guuuddd

No Drifting even if it controlled, is failure to control your vehicle outside of how ti suppose to behave.

But it is.

>you can't run foglights together with your low beams. ever

During the day it would be nice to increase your visibility

What cuntry?

Same in funland except you can have normal & classic car insurance everywhere. With normal insurance (which in i.e W123 with 45% bonus cost like 160 euros for year).

You can take normal insurance (normal as in insurance you take to your DD) and drive your classic vehicle all year round if you want.

Cars can come for different backgrounds and they are inspected considering the background they have, for example you can have like 1-2 owner DD with normal patina registered as classic car as you can do with fully restored & supa clean rarity car. And you can do your MOT everywhere.

>Italian and it is against the law to modify vehicles in any possible way

thats a bad meme

pic related is in italy

Also fun fact: due to loophole in law you can drive taxi without taxi permit with vehicle registered as classic automobile.

>europe
>license tiers for motorcycle license

>sequential turn signals are illegal all together

Where do you live? I know in the US the new Mustangs have this. That seems weird that they'd make it illegal, since with more motion my eye actually catches it better.

Myeah, but still; fogs tend to be spread too high and can be damned annoying for oncoming traffic

>front license plate required
>dealers end up drilling bumpers

if i had that pepe with angry lazer eyes I'd post it

Germany. Common procedure for imports is to relocate the indicators to the reverse light housings with amber bulbs, and put a new reverse light under the bumper. Some people will have hidden switches for reactivating the sequential red turn signals, but they're not exactly legal.

youtube.com/watch?v=KjgOXm059Ok

Huh, that makes a lot of sense, but my god that would look so awkward and ugly on some cars considering reverse lights are generally inboard as opposed to turn signals which are usually outboard.

This brings to mind another question. I see newer German cars here in the US that only use the brake lights as indicators, like Audis and BMWs. Do they do the same procedure with those or is the taillight assembly different altogether back in Germany?

More Funland stuff:

-You can do all kinds fun stuff to your car, just get it inspected after more serious mods so they are marked in your papers.

-Some limitations are i.e. you can't add more power & displacement than most powerful engine & biggest engine in model series had + 20%.

For example in E30 you can have max power of 320iS (M3 is seen as different model here so it's not comparable) + 20% and max displacement of 327e + 20%. Suspension, brakes etc. have to be comparable of the most powerful model.

Usually turbo-blokes just go and get a dyno sheet with 0.2-0.4 bar of boost and in some cases with intentionally bad tune-up and show it to MOT-guy.

If you want to shove a 2JZ to something that doesn't have model with enough power available so you cant get 2JZ within power limits (they know that 2JZ makes 280hp from factory since you have to show tech specs from engine you swap in your car) you can just slap 1JZ head on it and call it self-fabricated engine. Then you just get dyno papers with 0,1 boost and life is good.

-Turbos, engine swaps etc. legal only up until Euro III emission cars (which came like 2003 if i recall correctly). If i recall correctly it's not even legal to change exhaust in newer cars but mot-guys are so chill that about 99% of time they don't give a fuck if you go get your cammed vette with straight pipes inspected.

-Min. ground clearance 80mm and tires & rims have to be sensible combination found in STRO (Scandinavian Tire & Rim Organization) guide. Not sure if stupid since stancefags btfo.

-You must have headlights on all the time while driving. Even on a bright and sunny day with 10 km visibility. Haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket about this tho.

I always thought here in Finland we were super strict about everything regarding cars, but reading this thread made me realize that it could be much worse.

>Turbos, engine swaps etc. legal only up until Euro III emission cars

Was it legal up to Euro III cars? Might be mistaken, but I think I remember reading it was for cars below the Euro III standard, so Euro II and under.

Yeah, this thread makes me feel ok about our regulations again.

Yeah, i meant Euro II or under.

Unless they're multicolor LEDs, they'll have to be different units here in Germany. I know that Audis nowadays double their LED strip daytime running lights as front turn signals, switching from white to amber, but I'm yet to see it with brake lights and rear turn signals.

And the reverse light housing for turn signals trick doesn't always work when the reverse lights are too far inwards, in which case you'll have stuff a yellow bulb into one of the red housings on each side and pray that it's amber enough for the inspector.

poland

>if your wheels go beyond wheel arches then that's a no-no, you better install some wider panels
>also, your front windows better pass at least 70% light or else
>what's that? you swapped a fucking LS3 into your twingo? ok
>turbo install? whatever
>lowering? you are saying it's so low it's scrapping the pavement? what-the-fucking-ever as long as it doesn't leak it's fine

it's pretty fucking silly
you can do ridiculous stuff but something as innocent as wheels going beyond the car outline will make you lose your car registration document until you fix it
on one hand it fucks with these retarded stancefags so it's great, but it also hurts the offroad fags, though they found a loophole and dealt with it

there is some other small stuff, like being forbidden to set your exhaust to it pointing right,
pretty reasonable as it prevents some shit like doing cummins onto the pedestrians, not that anybody would be doing it, this fuckretarded thing is murrican only, nobody else is this stupid

the most important thing is that you have free reins when it comes to making your car faster and that's great

>You can only use your fog lights when vision is reduced to at least 50m.
It's stupid because they don't harshly penalize people who do not follow this rule.

I saw a bunch of videos of some auto journalist in italy driving modified cars.

Same.

>GB
>Your car appears to have no damage to key components and no rust in structural areas
>Here's your MOT good sir, have fun in your 30984HP V12 swapped Peugeot

yeah that's all well and good but
>call insurance company
>tell them your details
>we can give you a quote of £800 per year
>tell them you've put an aftermarket strut brace on
>well sir that means your car is modified, we'll be revising your quote to eleventy trillion pounds

>america
>car is unfit to drive
>inspection reported to insurance
>well Mr. user seeing as this car is going to sit on your lawn for the rest of it's life we're dropping your rates 99%

Illinois here. Aftermarket mufflers are all illegal regardless of how much noise they make. Yet nitrous is legal for street use. That's right, not just "you can have it but the bottle must be disconnected" if I spray on the street all I'll get is a speeding ticket. Feel that you need NOS to effectively merge? As long as you stay within speed limits you're a-okay.

>australia
>must have h pattern on shift knob or car is defected

>be American
>forget to tip police officer during traffic stop for having good knowledge of the law
>$500 fine

That's not something conceivably under your control though.

This thread makes me glad to drive something 35 years old, and live in a town that doesnt even do emissions testing. I've ran open headers around cops and not gotten so much as a glare.

As a fellow Australian, this is 100% correct.

that's pretty damn small

>tfw currently taking that risk in Vic