Redpill me on the Honda Del Sol

I drove a del sol as my learning to drive/first car and drove another del sol as my second car. I'm still driving my second car though, which means I have no experience with other cars (that I like).

What are the pros and cons of this car? Like I heard the chassis is flexible as fuck but I can't tell for shit since I haven't driven other kinds of cars.

pros:
it's a honda civic

cons:
it's a honda civic

>ff

Good:
It's somewhat reliable
It drives alright
Removable roof

Bad:
It's called a DeSlow for a reason
Not as reliable as other hondas
Hard to find a non-molested one

got eem

yes i know

what do you mean not as reliable as other hondas?

>not as reliable
I'm confused by this

can see the airport terminal on the sunglasses desu

De Sols seem to have more issues than something like a Honda Civic, they're not terrible cars, but they do have lots of stuff that likes to go wrong with them apparently

I'll eventually install some upper strut bars for the front and rear. will this help the flexible chassis problem?

Its just a b16 or a d16, that guy is memeing

I don't see how or why, its just a civic with a different body style

or a d15. my first was an S which had it. then I got my Si which has the d16 vtec yo

Oh yup forgot about the d15. I'm a miata guy through and through but my buddy had a del Sol Si and it was super nice. The seats are great and I like the lockable cubbies behind the seats.

Civic with a funny roof. Whether this is a pro or con depends on the climate where you live.

how do the two compare besides one being rwd and the other fwd?

i wish i had a miata so i can learn to pull some hectik skids

i live in socal but will be moving to washington state in a couple of months.

I know that the roof leaks like a bitch, even from the factory. So i'll be fucked in that department.

The B16 del Sol pulls harder in a straight line (muh VTEC) but doesn't corner as hard. The del Sol i drove had aftermarket sway bars so it didn't understeer much unless you really try to make it understeer. The miata is a little easier to switch between understeer and oversteer when on the limit, but that could be due to my inexperience with FF layout.

You could make a del Sol corner better than a miata with some good tires and a few minor suspension mods. I'm not sure how rigidity compares but neither are great in that department

I live in Washington too, I just use a car cover for when it really rains hard. Depends on how bad your leaks are but yeah just keep a towel in your car

it would have been cool to get the b series one but those are hard to find i'm guessing.

how easily do cars rust up there (my del sol is pristine, as in no rust at all)? also how to deal with winter/snow bs in a lowered car?

I had a Del Sol for years. I think I an weigh in on this one.

>be me
>be eating at a Wendy's with the senpai while in middle school some time in the 90's
> POS riced out Del Sol stops in the parking lot just outside our window
> "Dad, WTF is that?"
> Find out it's a Honda Del Sol and fall in love with its unique layout and it somehow sparks my interest in cars
> But one years later and find out their shirt

TLDR: Del Sols somehow sparked my interest in cars. I eventually got one and DD'd it for ±5 years but wished I had gotten a civic hatch instead.

For what they are, they're fantastic. If you're looking for a cheap DD that gets great mileage that you can pop the top off of and tuck it away in the trunk they can't be beat since they have no real competition. They're reliable and fun to drive. They have great interiors, imo, since they're small and everything's pointed towards the driver.

pros:
Reliable
unique
all the Honda GoFast parts fit the Del Sol
The top pops off
Park it anywhere
Great DD, good mileage, decent storage space for it's size

Cons:
Some of the replacement parts don't get made anymore. Get to know your local junk yards
It's not as good a chassis as the other models in that civic generation
Good luck finding one that isn't riced to shit

So you've driven them but you need us to tell how they are?

>see del sol for first time
>think its a miata from the front
>maybe an SW20 from the rear
>is a honda
"huh i never knew honda made an MR car"
>turns out the massive shitty boot rear isnt for MR its just there to look dumb

saw a ford one of these recently, what was the ford one called?

fiero with a body kit

>cons: not a civic hatch

you basically asked a mouse who's lived in a cage all of its life, "what's it like on the outside?".

yeah i really don't understand its design other than for aesthetics... which blind you. however the size and ease of maintenance is what attracts me to it.

D series is still good dw man. Just doesn't pull as hard is all. Yeah they're fairly uncommon as people like to steal them and yank the motors.

Rust doesn't really happen up here, it only snows once or twice a year (and never more than a foot) and they usually put sand on the roads instead of salt. Rainwater isn't really going to rust your car out either.

Honestly though. I'd rather have a civic over a del Sol 9 times out of 10

i mean these things are clean, especially in this color

i think one day i'll paint my del sol aztec green

a car that was supposed to compete with the miata except it was inferior in every fucking way
and my biggest regret

what else do you need to know?

The targa top leaks like fucking crazy

i bought a del slow about a month ago as a car to learn standard on

its surprisingly unmolested and well taken care of, only add ons is some random fucking attachment on the dash and a sub setup in the trunk

everyone i know who has driven it loves it

how does someone prefer a soft top vs a targa top?

A friend of mine has one with around 300k on the clocks. Still runs fine, and gets better mpg's than his wifes smart car. Del Slo tho.

It's not a terribly fun car, but being a honda it will run long past the point that you want it to.

It's a bit floppy since it doesn't have the chassis rigidity of a non-convertable, it's a bit heavy and it's slow, but it's also a nice car. I'd own one if I was forced to, and I wouldn't feel weird about driving it around having a good time.

>what is a hardtop

I don't really understand why someone would pick a del Sol over an EG, EK, or EF for that matter

I have 2, they're pretty fun as long as you have the B16 version. Past 98 they're pretty good, they got the new targa rubbers and everything so they don't leak.

I got a 92 D16 and a 95 B16, if you want pictures i can post them later.

it's actually not that different, though obviously if want to go topless you might as well go all the way

also, you'd think that softops would leak more but it's actually other way around, it's the targas that often leak, meanwhile soft-tops remain relatively sealed

but aren't soft tops more noisy?

the fabric absorbs a lot of the vibration and wind noise so its alright, the targa top on my del sol sticks out a few millimeters and the wind catches there, it then makes a whistle like sound,