Mazda RX-8

Looking for a sporty somewhat practical coupe, what are Veeky Forums's opinions on the Rx8?

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

buy a civic and gtfo

Civics are so bland and generic though

good car, make sure you get a later model and are ready to pay for gas and oil

MS6 just as fast, more space and no apex seals

This.

This. Also do some research about rotary engines before you buy them so you know how to take care of them. Also don't listen to Veeky Forums when they talk about them because 99% of posters here have never owned or driven one.

>practical
Rotary engines are not practical.

My other alternative was going to be an older Mercedes cl55 AMG, but I figured matinence costs would be astronomical on that. Plus I like the mazda's styling a lot better

Pretty much this, the Renesis engine is a bit shit
I like rotary engines, but the RX-8, though very tempting, will be a headache.

OP, what's your price range?

Friendhad an rx8 and he doesn't really like it since it breaks down a lot. It's a fucking manlet car btw.

He's actually selling it

6-10k

Slow gas guzzler. Pass

Also, the one I was looking at was unfortunately an automatic, which I heard can kill the car. Should I keep looking for a manual or is an automatic fine?

WRX, if you don't need 4 seats, 350z, S2000.
Other than that, the Mazdaspeed seems to be the most desirable option

No auto, especially for a car you need to take to 9k rpm once a week to uh, clear out carbon

If you really wanna fuck yourself up and buy it, read every forum post you can about not letting the car run for less than 10 minutes, premixing oil when you fill up for gas, preemptive apex seal replacement and engine rebuilding, etc etc etc etc

Definitely manual.
In the older ones (

If you can stomach a daily 2-seater, I'd recommend the S2000. The RX-8 is a great car but the Honda will be super-reliable and have a slight performance edge over the Mazda.

Dailying a 2-door really isn't that hard if you can justify the amount of fun you'll have driving it all the time.

how's the cargo capacity on these things?

buy an early model and swap a 13b from an FC if you plan on driving regularly or modifying it a lot

otherwise get a late model renesis

rx8help.com

> buy $1000 Rx8 with flooded engine
> nothing is actually wrong with it
> port it anyway
I literally don't see the problem. They're pretty simple if you're willing to read for a few minutes. Make sure your fuel delivery and ignition are gud and with that alone you'll avoid most issues.

you can get an rx8 for cheap these days, but i heard their motors like to crap out early thanks to bad owners.

If the RX8 had just been available with either a proper dorito, or that MS6 engine (call it the MX-8?), it would've been great.

>cl55 AMG, but I figured matinence costs would be astronomical on that
You figured right.

The engine management is water cooled and the car has active suspension

What BMWs are those? My E36 M burns 1/2 a quart every 5000 miles.

They looked like a styling mess when they came out, but part of me wants to say they aged pretty well.

forgot my pic

How to make an RX-8 completely reliable:
>Completely check cooling system. If possible, upgrade
>SOHN adapter
>Replace coils
>Engine retune
>Driver retune, v1.4 for Wankel engines

Mix your oil too, even with sohn adapter, more oil always helps with wanky's

Fug. I can't find the links now, but there was a thread a while back where somebody posted a couple links showing how several newer modesl of BMWs (and a couple other makes) had acceptable oil usages higher than the RX-8.

A bit of googling produced this: consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

"Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable."

>"Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable."
Jeeesus, I have had cars with major oil leaks that go through oil slower than what Subaru finds acceptable.

Swap out the rotary.

Ty to get one of the facelifted models, they fixed alot of the reliability problems

>FF

Audi's response to owner complaints was a trunk mounted carrier that holds a couple quarts of oil...

Seriously.

How the fuck can an engine generate so much blowby? It sounds like the piston is looser than a microdick in a whore.

I wonder how much an oil catch can would reduce oil consumption, I'm guessing that there's a lot of oil going into the intake from the PCV system.

I am literally watching the world go to shit.

Get a 2006+ model and you're golden.

Get a good talk with the owner, make sure he knows his shit regarding rotaries.