Car security thread

Has anyone of you changed something on the security system of your car? Or do you use something to improve the security of your car, for example a steering wheel lock? Any reports on success?

Some people I know e.g. installed a dead man's switch in a weird location, disconnecting the fuel pump or the whole car from the battery.

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/autos/manual-shifts-increasingly-stop-car-thefts-article-1.1153530
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/seattle-thieves-try-to-steal-car-from-70-year-old-woman-cant-drive-manual-transmission-9563062.html
gmauthority.com/blog/2015/04/manually-equipped-c6-corvette-thwarts-bumbling-bay-area-burglars/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15523000/#q15523000
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_award
youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)
wsj.com/articles/SB91601019351200500
jalopnik.com/a-flamethrower-option-for-your-bmw-was-once-a-totally-r-1547017088
blog.beforward.jp/car-review/remember-bmw-blaster-south-africas-flamethrowing-car.html
tannen.livejournal.com/66587.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_South_Africa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Or do you use something to improve the security of your car
pic related

I had my 97 chevy pickup intalled with a kill switch that cuts the ignition. My current vehicle has a shitty alarm system that serves me pretty well for a $100 alarm. It has alerted me to attempted theft/vandalism twice. Almost shot them motherfuckers. Im glad too because my 97 used to get broken into a lot, they tried to take it, but they didn't find the kill switch thankfully. My current vehicle only got broken into once, they destroyed my wiring, and my steering column. and after that i immediately got an alarm system.

Story from a coworker:
He only owns a Golf but majored in electrical engineering and loves crafting stuff. He hooked a raspberry pi or something similar (i'll have to ask him again) up to a GSM module, sending him an SMS everytime the car is started. If a certain SMS is sent back the fuel pump gets disconnected from power. Not sure how insurance will act if it gets stolen and the car gets wrecked because the loss of power occurs in an (for thief and car) unpleasant situation.

>park in my brightly lit drive way
>light sleeper
>bedroom above my driveway
>glock 41

No need.

I know a guy who had bomb over front axis. When his car got stolen he tracked it down, and didnt even try to chase down whoever was driving. Waited to them to speed up and detonated bomb. Little did he knew he killd his sister and 4 of her friends. Front axis deattached at 200kmh. Whole thing was covered up and there is around 30 people who know of this...

Do you never leave your house

I'm thinking about getting a classic to dd and I'm wanting to put in 3 kill switches, and maybe a removable steering wheel.

I want to believe

South African airbag trap is all you need.

I'd you put one of those I your car you better not ever let anyone else sit in your drivers seat. And I would still tuck my head between my legs when starting it even if I flipped the disable.

Aftermarket alarm system: Disabled the door unlock function. The alarm will still lock all doors when set. But if someone has a 'magic box' that can shut off alarms, they'll still need a key (or a large rock) to get in my car.

Probably an arduino, not raspberry.

In another car forum I once found a discussion about tools that disable the engine immobiliser via OBD2-port and some people added a killswitch for the OBD2-port.
I guess you could just add a bunch of killswitches and hope for thieves to lose interest.

Please elaborate.

Where the fuck do you live? Never had any issues with people trying to do anything to my car

Not the one you replied to, but I lived in both a small town and a capital and friends of mine had their tires slashed and/or their cars broken into in both. You just have to not have much luck I guess.

I dont live by a bunch of niggers, and I park in my garage. Fancy that, I've never had an issue with my shit being fucked with.

No. Never

i drive a 2001 malibu. it's all the car security i need.

Could you explain more about what "DOS" is? It isn't immediately clear to me what you mean.

I have a thingamajig that shuts off the engine 15 seconds after it's started if a radio tag isn't present inside the car, a hood lock operated from the glove box so you can't disconnect the thingamajig easily, and a hidden GPS/GSM beacon in case someone gets past all that. Shit's pretty stupid considering that I lead a mostly NEET lifestyle and the car spends 95% of the time inside a guarded subterranean garage.

DOS is "Denial of Service"

For example, to prevent an apartment complex from using a lock gate, people regularly put dollar store superglue into the lock mechanism. Doesn't take much and many uses can be gotten from the 3 tubes for $1.

The apartment complex is forced to get rid of the locking gate. Thieves now have easy entrance and exit as no more locked gate or fence is in their way from either apartments or cars inside the fenced area.

That is an example of DOS tactic. Another is setting off car alarms deliberately. After so many false alarms, the owner is either cited for disturbing the peace or is forced by the HOA to get rid of the faulty alarm. The thieves can now break the windows of the car without fear of the aftermarket alarm sounding.

Complex DOS tactics are sometimes shown in anime detective shows.

DOS is also known as DDOS in the online world as a way of denying innocent users access to a website or service.

He's talking about MS-DOS, an old operating system by microsoft. It stands for "Microsoft Disk Operating System" btw

This is good enough for me

yeah, nobody drives stickshift in america except for you.

No. A locked car deters most thieves, while modern small windows are hard to break.

If anyone REALLY wants to steal my car, they'll steal it and the insurance will pay out.
I just don't park in shitty unsecure areas, or live in a third-world country.

I didn't say that. Just that most nogs that are low enough to try to steal a car can't drive manual. It happens all the time.

nydailynews.com/autos/manual-shifts-increasingly-stop-car-thefts-article-1.1153530
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/seattle-thieves-try-to-steal-car-from-70-year-old-woman-cant-drive-manual-transmission-9563062.html
gmauthority.com/blog/2015/04/manually-equipped-c6-corvette-thwarts-bumbling-bay-area-burglars/

>Or do you use something to improve the security of your car

Just move to a less diverse area

That's pretty neat.

sometimes if im in the ghetto i'll put it in false neutral. i dont leave my doors locked because shitbox with nothing to steal, so this way if someone thinks about stealing my car and actually can drive a manual they still wont get too far

this + saab gear shift lock in reverse not only prevents theft, but befuddles valets.

>Or do you use something to improve the security of your car, for example a steering wheel lock? Any reports on success?

Some arrested car prowlers have mentioned the methods they use, so you can at least take precautions against those methods.

"""Three prolific car prowlers and automobile thieves were arrested last week after a lengthy police investigation.

Amando Murphy, Alexandra Geiger and Daniel Mark Gormley-Bell were charged in King County Superior Court on Aug. 22 with possession of a stolen vehicle. Murphy, 24, was also charged with identity theft in the second degree and attempting to elude police, while Geiger, 23, was additionally charged with identity theft in the first degree. Police said that additional charges are likely as they continue to investigate the defendants.

The trio had been suspected in a series of crimes throughout the region.

-- One suspect checked every car door handle in every neighborhood.
Police say this underscores the importance of locking your car when it's in the driveway and installing motion-sensitive lighting.

-- The suspects went into driveways with no visible cameras or by homes with open windows and avoided busier apartment complex parking lots. Police say home surveillance systems and signs indicating “video surveillance” can stop thieves.

-- One suspect avoided neighborhoods where there appeared to be a neighborhood watch, more alert citizens or heavier police presence. Police say this underscores the importance of being alert and calling 911 to report suspicious people or vehicles.

-- The suspects primarily stole cars by first breaking into them, then finding spare keys in the glove boxes or center console. Police say you should never leave keys in your car."""

They said they targeted wealthier neighborhoods that didn't have a Neighborhood Watch.

>That is an example of DOS tactic. Another is setting off car alarms deliberately. After so many false alarms, the owner is either cited for disturbing the peace or is forced by the HOA to get rid of the faulty alarm. The thieves can now break the windows of the car without fear of the aftermarket alarm sounding.

Silent pager alarm. Thief starts messing with car. All is quiet. Then he feels a .357 muzzle pressed against his temple.

>-- One suspect checked every car door handle in every neighborhood.

That archived thread is an example of how a perpetrator goes to the mall or group of shops to do their own business. But as they walk to the shops, they look for opportunities and try door handles along the way. After they exit the mall or store, I bet they also try yet more car doors along the way back to their car to see which ones are open. Snatch and run.

When people use these kinds of tactics, it makes such people unwelcome no matter wherever they go. Because they are always looking for an opportunity to strike.

No. but I only ever park at my house

>live in apartment in ghetto
>lots of niggers
>own two cars
>one nicer
>two absolute shitbox
>neither get fucked with
solid theory user

In the US, all you really need is manual transmission. 99% of car thieves can't into manual like in the examples points out. They fiddle with the stick, then they just give up and run.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a handgun or shotgun ready

Not him but my guess is it's wired so if you start the car without deactivating the "alarm" the airbag goes off in your face, possibly knocking you out, breaking your nose, fucking with you so you don't want to mess with the car anymore

I'd add a bluetooth module to improve it a bit, so when the car find his phone by bluetooth that means that he is inside the car and it's him starting it, then the car won't have to send an SMS. Then if the car doesn't see his phone it sends the message, this way you wouldn't be receiving multiple useless messages just for going grocery shopping.

Semi related. I leave my keys in the ignition everywhere I go. Because I live in a nice place where niggers aren't a concern.

You mount the airbag to the roof facing down on the driver side. The idea is to break the neck of a would be thief.

sounds like a good way to get arrested for manslaughter and setting an illegal booby trap.

Get a jew lawyer and you'll get out of it. In the end you took a dangerous nigger off the street, and that's what's really important.

Never make a system that will kill, maim, or make you paraplegic if you or your family member have a temporary careless or forgetful moment. It's possible for you to be distracted as you are going to the car too.

>sounds like a good way to get arrested for manslaughter and setting an illegal booby trap.

It's a good way to get nominated for the Darwin Awards too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_award

>A locked car deters most thieves, while modern small windows are hard to break.

You have to lock your even in mall parking lots. Some people who go to stores to shoplift will look into cars as they walk past and try the doors as they walk by. If the door opens, they loot the car and drive off with the loot.

Try to leave that third world of niggers

>baseball bat lock.
>locks steering wheel.
>good for road rage incidents.

It's a fictional alarm thing. No one actually does it. Just like the "british flame thrower" under the door to stop car jacking.

It's good that it can be used as a steering wheel lock too. One of the biggest counters the mugger's defense lawyer uses is that the victim was out to seek trouble by carrying a weapon. That shows intent to use it, and thus seeking trouble. Because the so-called victim was really a hunter in disguise looking for trouble!

This way, it's a weapon with a legit reason to have it on hand at all times in the passenger cabin.

thats actually south African flame thrower, and it's legit and legal.

youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

yup, I carry a long 1/2 extension, with a double depth lock on 21mm socket on the end, for my wheel nuts........

>It's a fictional alarm thing.
>No one actually does it.
>Just like the "british flame thrower" under the door to stop car jacking.

They sold many hundreds of the devices. The maker finally stopped because it was too expensive for a lot of people to buy. But even the chief of police bought one.

Firing On All Cylinders (south africa flamethrower):
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm

There is a video at the BBC article too. Other news articles exist with other details on buyers as well as usage. Someone at the university of florida made a research report on it, but it is no longer online.

>thats actually south African flame thrower, and it's legit and legal.

Just google "south africa flame thrower" and you'll find various links to the legal anti-carjacking defense weapon.

It cost $650 in 1998 dollars which is a lot of money when you can use a gun instead.

There were as many as 14,000 carjackers per year in south africa right after the end of Apartheid when the whites gave up "white rule" and let the blacks rule the country. As a result, crime rates not only skyrocketed, they went up into outer space. Why are extreme defense measures necessary? There were over 10,000 carjacks, 50,000 rapes, and 20,000 murders per year.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

wsj.com/articles/SB91601019351200500

jalopnik.com/a-flamethrower-option-for-your-bmw-was-once-a-totally-r-1547017088

blog.beforward.jp/car-review/remember-bmw-blaster-south-africas-flamethrowing-car.html

HERE is a story of some "tough guy" travelers to South Africa a short time after Apartheid (white rule) ended.

This is a fragment from a blog of a Russian man who went on a business trip to South Africa. Exceprts are translated from Russian for your convenience.

tannen.livejournal.com/66587.html

Me and my friend had to spend roughly 10 hours in Johannesburg. We asked Mikhail and he convinced some kamikaze driver to take us on a tour through the city center. We, the two retards, thought that they were exaggerating about the danger just to frighten us. We thought that we'd get to the center, take a long good stroll through it and show everyone that Russians aren't afraid of anything.

We ended up not even coming close to doing any of these things.

Reason?

We nearly shat ourselves.

*continued*

The descent to Johannesburg from the plateau made the city look great. Beautiful, big, modern. Some skyscrapers here and there, some nice Victorian-style buildings. Green lawns, blue sky.

Upon actually entering the city, the picture changed drastically.

It looked completely abandoned.
There was no electricity.
Piles of trash just lying in the streets.
Burst sewer pipes flooding several spots.
The only thing clear of debris was the main road, the only functional electrical devices were the traffic lights.
And this was the city center, the relatively safe part of the city.

Prior to riding into the city, the driver appointed by Mikhail read us a short "do's and don'ts" lecture.
He seemed very tense, gulping often and suspiciously looking around as he spoke:

"If you cunts want to survive this, do exactly as I say.
After we enter the city, NO LOUD NOISES, do not ATTRACT ANY ATTENTION!
NO FUCKING IPHONES OR CAMERAS flashing through the car windows!
DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with ghouls! (that's what he called niggers)
And no matter what happens, DO NOT OPEN THE WINDOWS!
Because suddenly a lamp post can fall and block the way, and the ghouls will fucking siege us.
And remember that I have kids, so at least follow these rules for my sake..."

*continued*

We spent two hours riding around the city center.
It was quiet enough in the bus to hear a pin drop.
To understand what happened to the city, a small historical flashback is needed.

After the apartheid was over, a two-million swarm of Africans flooded the city, opening the era of African Reconquista. They were not natives, they just left their usual places in the desert and went wherever life was better. Mikhail, the guy who got us the driver, lived in Johannesburg at that time and told us the following:

In the middle of an ordinary workday, something happened.
The office center's doors opened and an unorganized crowd of several thousand blacks rushed in, carrying their belongings in huge bags. They asked us not to pay any attention to them and continue working, while they were spreading around the building and occupying every bit of territory that was available. Armchairs, stools, sofas, restrooms and hallways - they were everywhere, happily chatting and wasting no time in taking whatever shiny things the building's original denizens had on them.
The office became filled with commotion. Chickens were butchered and gutted in the hallways, tables in audience rooms turned into cooking tables, restrooms became bathhouses.
The polite question "What's going on?" was answered with "This is our home now".
The subsequent, less polite question "What the fuck?!" met a reply "It will be better for everyone".

Mikhail called the cops.
Cops didn't come.
They apologized and explained that exactly the same thing is happening across the entire city.

Then everyone who could started to quietly flee the city, headed towards the suburbs and Cape Town, while erecting barriers to block the paths - hedges, moats, electrified fences. The last district of Johannesburg where you can meet a white man nowadays is the Pretoria suburb.

*continued*

After a massive exodus, owners of the buildings started thinking of what to do.

Bingo!
They decided that if they switched off the electricity, water and sewer access to the buildings, the ghouls will leave them and return to the savannah.

So, they switched them off.
The ghouls didn't even notice.

Of course, in the savannah they had neither of these modern conveniences. "Where do they shit, then?" I asked Mikhail.
Mikhail replied that the office owners were also puzzled by this - and completely shocked after they found out.

You see, after invading the buildings, none of the ghouls could figure out what elevator shafts were for. Once they ripped out the elevator doors, they spent a few days scratching heads and spitting into the darkness, until it finally occured to them.

"Bless the white man's genius", thought the ghouls, and the shafts became both toilets and garbage dumps ever since. According to Mikhail, it takes roughly ten years for an average ghoul horde to shit up an office building to the point of complete unliveability.

After that, like in good old prehistoric times, the horde migrates, occupying another building.

>axis
>200kph
> unnamed parties covered up a guy murdering four people

Are you a fucking moron

You just got baited.

...steering wheel locks are pointless. If you want something that you can use as a weapon that has an actual purpose, buy a big mag-lite.

*continued*

We rode on through Johannesburg's streets, glued to the car windows, devouring the scenery with our eyes.
Fashionable modern houses with boarded-up windows passed us by.
When we came across a rare open window, we could see fires burning inside, with ghouls lying or walking around them.

(Once again) According to Mikhail, a new, albeit informal service appeared in Johannesburg.
Bunches of tough guys go around offering to take the buildings back from ghouls. It happens like this: in the middle of the night several trucks drive up to the building, and hundred or two of armed thugs goes inside. Quickly, they grab the sleeping ghouls and simply start throwing them out of the building, trying not to wake the whole horde up.
Before the horde completely comes to its senses and starts expressing its displeasure, the thugs weld shut all doors and windows on the first floor and put up an electrified fence. After the building is cleaned and refurbished, it turns back into an office.

That's how the remnants of Johannesburg's white population live and work. In the evening and during the night they keep safe behind armored doors and private guards. In the morning they get into their cars and quickly, without stopping, ride outside their fortresses to work. After a short ride through more-or-less safe streets, they dive into one of the heavily guarded foxholes that leads to the underground parking garages. And that concludes their arrival to the workplace.

Another funny thing I noticed - if two "live" buildings are nearby, they are often connected by an aerial passage at the 10th or 11th floor. So office workers can even visit each other if they want to.
The only trick to it is not to look down.
Down there is ghoul territory.

-=-#-=-#-=-#-=-

Don't get carjacked if you're a woman. If you walk back, you might be raped. 1 out of every 4 women are raped each year. 12% of the population has AIDS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_South_Africa

lol cool story bro

I went to SA in 2010, spent two months there, including a two-week stint in the Joburg city center. it may have been like that at one point, but as of 2010 it's no more dangerous than any other large urban center in the third world, and in fact it's likely less dangerous than many areas due to the segregation and how easy it is to pick out the troublemakers.

At any rate, if you make sure you're not alone, make sure you're not out walking late at night, and make sure you're not flaunting ostentatious wealth, you'll be fine. Most of the poor niggers have been pushed into the slums at this point, and they're (literally) walled off from the nice areas, so not much to worry about.

Cape Town is definitely safer than Joburg, but neither is particularly dangerous at this point. I'm sure post-apartheid SA is very different than modern SA, though, and a couple people we spoke to discussed how a lot of the white people fled post-apartheid SA.

I usually just unplug the connector on the left in pic related just enough to keep it from starting but that it still looks plugged in.

I went to Cape Town in 2008 for three weeks. During the day we saw a lot of suspicious people and some really aggressive beggars. One time we walked back from the Waterfront to our hotel because why not and every single black guy/girl looked at us damn weird. However nothing ever happened, but it was weird to see about every second shop with a plate stating the personal is armed or something equal and every decent house being secured with barbed wire etc.

There was a German bookstore near our hotel (I'm German, too. was kinda nice). There worked one gorgeous girl but when she wasn't there about one week after my last visit and I asked about that I was told she was robbed and stabbed on her way home. We were told to never go out at night and apparently that was a rather good tip.
Anyway, the fish down there is great.

>Has anyone of you changed something on the security system of your car?

Even though new cars all come with their OEM factory alarm, those alarms only sound when doors are opened. That's why thieves never bother picking the door lock but just bust the windows to get into the car without opening the door.

So I decided to get an aftermarket car alarm installed in my new car. It has glass breakage sensors for both the front and rear side windows as well as a silent pager option. The alarm was cheap, but the professional installation estimate was very expensive due to the front dash being so hard to remove and then put back. The shop suggested it would be far cheaper to install the alarm without touching the front dash.

So I opted to have them install the alarm gear on the underside of the rear dash and run a fused power-line to the alarm. I purchased an additional alarm horn since without opening the front dash to sound the horn, I needed a different noise maker. I also had a pager option added on so that if I am inside a shop, theater, or mall, I will know to come out.

Without taking apart the front dash, the alarm is less smart, but installation was far cheaper. If you have an alarm install that's too expensive, if it's a good shop, it will recommend alternate methods to save you money. While they make less profit, at least they have your wallet's health in mind. That's a good shop. Unlike a stealership that only wants to maximize labor charges.

>Or do you use something to improve the security of your car,

Tinted windows have the obvious benefits, but I believe they also reduce the chance of theft.

Tinted windows make it hard for the criminals to case your car. First of all, the criminal has to see through the darker layer of the tint. Second, the tint makes the interior darker than the outside of the car. That's important because the side that has the most light will find it harder to see through to the other side.

A lot of criminals walking thru the parking lot casing cars don't want to look guilty. They have to keep walking or else loitering makes them stand out. So tinted windows delays them enough to make some of the perps give up even trying to look inside. That's a victory of sorts.

At night, tinted windows don't matter because they are going to break the windows anyways in order to open your hood latch and race the 30 second timer (most brands) to cut the battery cable so the factory alarm noise makers (car horn, stereo system) doesn't sound.

>Any reports on success?

It's not like a lot of people here use "systematic" approaches towards reducing crime. As for success, there's no real way to prove a negative. If the thief is discouraged from even trying, from the viewpoint of the potential victim, it's like the thief never existed. So the victim thinks all their money was wasted because no thief ever tried and left evidence of failing.

Kek, I have a 3ft 1/2" breaker bar under my seat.

"it came from my toolbox, with all my other tools, for fixing my car"