Best Off-Roaders

Hello br/o/s, I'm in the market for a good 4WD vehicle that can be useful in snow, mud, and basically all terrains. I'm a college kid so my budget is small (preferably under $5000, willing to spend much less and fix up the car myself). An older K5 Blazer, '70-74' is my dream car. Any ideas? Also general off-road thread.

is this going to be a daily commuter? By snow do you mean snow offroad, or snowy roads, or snowy highway driving?

With a $5k budget, I'd shoot to buy a clean $3k rig and have $2k to catch it up on maintenance/repair including possibly a new set of tires (that'll eat up $600-800 right there).

If this is going to be your only vehicle and a daily driver, I'd pass over the huge older carb'd stuff and point you to something undervalued in the market like a gen 1 Pathfinder, 5spd Trooper/Rodeo, Montero or Montero Sport, maybe an older non-rusty 4Runner.

The small body v8 tundra.
A used 4x4 Ranger.
22re SR5 Toyota Truck.
A good condition CJ7.
A nice high CC quad.
An Enduro.
The US equivalent of a Montero.

Not a daily commuter or daily driver. I've got an '06 Eclipse for my daily but I'm wanting a nice 4WD vehicle for the winters here at college (Appalachian) and just to have a fun off-road toy.

So as far as snow, mostly driving around the campus and the town with the occasional trip back home (only an hour and a half away).

My girlfriend's dad is pretty handy with cars and he used to have a '74 Blazer so he really wants me to get one now too. But I see your point about looking for something a little newer that wouldn't give as many mechanical issues.

But again, it won't be my only means of transportation.

Thanks for the options!

I've definitely been considering older Jeeps, especially a CJ7. And different Toyotas and the Monteros. I love older 4Runners and they're not too pricey.

>fun off road toy for winter in Appalacian
Get a Suburu.

Just get the blazer.
You won't be happy with anything else listed.
Even though theres some good vehicles, if its your "dream car" then just go for it.

The build quality between a Toyota truck and a Toyota 4Runner are not equivalent. The Toyota Truck is a much better buy, especially if it has the engine I listed.

All wheel drive systems are extremely expensive to repair and at that budget, you'll only find shit that will turn into a money pit.

You'll find a clean blazer that won't be absolute hell to work on for 10-12k. If you're buying a class vehicle, find something with a solid body, decent paint and at least an older drivetrain rebuild.

>Pay $8,000+ for an engine to blow up.
No thanks.

Just for reference, a huge old lifted up SUV on mud terrains will be absolutely shit in the snow unless we're talking feet of the stuff and the clearance actually becomes relevant. A sort of happy medium of what you're looking for might be a 92-96 fullsize Bronco. Modern enough to have fuel injection, excellent repairability and cheap parts. Real sturdy rigs, but I think that they tend to be way overpriced by the "I know what I got" white trash types. Prone to rust (well, everything older will be prone to rust, really). Sadly, even XJ Cherokees are getting to be that meme-status overpriced way.

I'd say honestly any 4wd BOF SUV can be made pretty fun, the key is buying something that's not a basketcase or rusty heap, you will save yourself a lot of headache.

Lately, I've really been digging the 1g Ford Expolorers. TTB front end, a lot of Ford Truck stuff fits, the rear axle is a sturdy unit. Just watch out for automatic transmissions on these, the 4.0L OHV motor is solid.

huh? Explain.

If anything, I'll put my Tahara built 4Runner with it's fully boxed frame up against an equivalent '96 Tacoma with its rust prone DANA corp C-channel frame any day.

I'd consider a Suzuki Jimny. These things are very cheap and endure all kinds of terrain.

I can't speak for the newer ones, but early 90s and below.

'94 was the last year for the Samurai in the US. Most are rusty, all are overpriced. VERY fun trucklets though, if zipping around a college campus and offroading is all that you're doing.

The newer and more comfortable trackers (IFS) might make more sense, although they don't look as cool.

My brother actually has a LWB XL-7 that's made it through some surprising places just with some Cooper AT3s. The shorter wheelbase trucks will only do better, especially with a small lift and more aggressive tires.

Sorry dude I still don't buy it. Up until '95 they shared the global Hilux frame, both had the same solid front axle and then switched to torsion beam IFS. Same drivetrains, same powertrains. In what way exactly were the 4Runners the less of the two?

Aw man, it blows that they don't sell the new ones in the US, didn't know that. I see them every once in a while here in Brazil. They are pretty cute.

The 4runner hasn't had a solid axle since 1985

Follow your dreams OP. I just paid $1600 for a solid '91 K5. 350 tbi, 700r4, 10 bolt posi rear. I had an '85 a few years ago and sold it, regretted it ever since.

While we're on the topic of blazers, does any one know how to manually lower the power rear window? Mine is stuck.

.The 4runner hasn't had a solid axle since 1985

>both had the same solid front axle and then switched to torsion beam IFS

Yeah both the Pickup and 4Runner switched to IFS in 1986, what exactly is your point?

Forgot shitty pic.

>up until 95

>Up until '95 they shared the global Hilux frame,

See the coma there, sport? The frames are the global Hilux frames right through '95. After that the Tacoma is its own thing made for the US market with a relatively light duty C-channel frame. 4Runner became aligned with the Prado Land Cruisers in terms of underpinnings. Tacoma went to double wishbone (same as 96-02 4Runner and Prado 90).

Anything else we can clear up?

>coma
You mean the one you were in where you forgot what conjunctions are and use comma splices to try and convey an idea?

Ya got me there chief. Have a (You)

Still waiting on a cogent explanation as to why a same year Toyota Pickup is a better built truck than a 4Runner.

>An older K5 Blazer, '70-74' is my dream car
Let me clue you in on something I wish I'd have known when I was where you're at thinking that same thing before I bought a 4x4 as a DD and got an older sporty car as my second vehicle.

The International Scout is a much longer lived vehicle than the first gen K5 and has the same aesthetic. Although they're even more primitive, you're going to know you're in an OLD truck in either one and the Scout will actually be easier and cheaper to buy and maintain.

I apologize, I shouldn't have asserted my anecdotal experience as a matter of fact. Why are the 4runners seemingly cheaper? More were made?

Ya know, haven't even considered Scouts as an actual option but now maybe I should. I've seen them posted here sometimes in off-road threads and I do like them. I didn't know they were so common.

Ive been looking for a redpill on pre 66 scouts with the 152 straight 4.

I want a pre '66 4x4 so hard.

And my only thing about Scouts is how readily available parts would be if I needed them. GM parts just seem as though they would be much more common and easier to obtain.

Jeep Cherokee is the only answer

The RAV4 beat the 4x4 Cherokee in the snow climb challenge in car and driver.

Based on budget Cherokee way to go.

That might be true but op said 5k and you can get the RAV4 for that price range in really good condition.

Really good condition Cherokees have the 'I know what I got' cancer. And most are abused whereas most former RAV4 owners were wealthier and took better care of the vehicle.

>commifornia detected

Az actually.

Rav4 or 4runner?

Lada Niva?

The RAV4 with 260hp and AWD.

*270 hp
It weighs 3500. It claims it has "4WD" but it's just an AWD. It did win the snow climb.

Wrong suzuki m8