He buys a thirty thousand United States Dollaroos car

>He buys a thirty thousand United States Dollaroos car
>He takes out a loan

>He doesn't buy a $300 project on craigslist
>He doesn't spend $100 to machine the engine back to spec
>He doesn't spend $200 total to reseal the engine, rebuild the tranny and do the timing belt
>He doesn't have a $600 car that will last him 100k miles and can ride the shit out of it enjoying the drive because he's not financially invested babying his car

>Instead he has a $30,000 car on a LOAN (He kills himself if it's a lease)
>He can't have fun because he's afraid he might break something

>$100 for machining a block/heads

maybe in the 60s buddy

I love doing this

to most people a 300$ a month expense isnt a big deal

What universe are you from where you can pick up a 300$ car with a nice mold free interior. And spend less than 400$ on parts and tools to rebuild the clutch assy. And do a partial motor rebuild?

You can't buy any car worth working on for 300 maybe 1k. Your parts prices are way off unless you have having your inbred cousin-brother, Cletus getting junk yard parts for you and machining the block out with a hand drill in the dirt yard next to the camaro that has been on blocks for 2 decades. Your pappy still insist he is going to drop that big block in it and make a 8sec car out of it.

Refresh craigslist daily, you wont find the special snowflake model you're looking for but you will find the mold free nice interior car.

Get off Veeky Forums grandpa.

But yes, a 1-3k beater is GOAT.

Ok find some then. I've looked for beaters under 500 before. Didn't care what just wanted something to beat the shit out of in my friends field. There was nothing even worthy of the field let alone the road for that price.

Corolla
All day erry day

t. someone who has never rebuilt an engine or transmission

Go ahead and send me the listing for that then.

I bought a running FX for $300. Pic related.
Even the mr2 in this pic was only $500 running and driving.
Theres even an FX GTS for $800 in my area now

Not everyone lives in a trailer park user. Most good cars here are in the 1-2k range and it's probably higher in bigger cities.

>trailer park
See that speed3 right there?
In front of my oversized 2 car garage with basement.

>He bought a home adjacent to a 60s mobile home with decades of electronic obsolescence and weeds protruding from it
>giving financial advice
My point stands.

>he lives with his parents and rides the bus

True. My point still stands.

>I am incapable of enjoying anything since I needlessly reflect my own insecurities by convincing myself that everything everyone else does is shit. This is likely because I'm a minimim-wage slave and reside and likely will forever in my parent's home, living off my own shame and inability to make life-decisions.

most people have jobs and value their time

I wouldn't buy a cheap project car with the intention of making it a DD unless I already had a reliable car to drive in for the months it takes to restore it

>You can't buy any car worth working on for 300
Except you're wrong.

Brother's first car was a 2001 Buick Century. $200 + limb removal
>Needed a hood and fender as it was smashed by a limb from a tree
>Unknown mileage as the odometer quit

He still drives it to this day and he purchased it 4 years ago. Has 187k on it. We figure he purchased it at 120k or so.

You won't find good vehicles on craigslist for dirt cheap. Check driveway sales, the newspapers, and Facebook posts.

Craigslist is shit tier for buying cheap vehicles.

>100 on machining.

>$100 to machine

lol maybe per cylinder

Youll spend close to 150 just in new fluids and filters. Good luck doing any kind of meaningful rebuild for less then 300$. You couldn't even buy good tires for 300$ let alone a whole car

>these prices
lel seems like you've never done any of that stuff either

Then what, go down to the drug store and buy an ice cream soda for a dime?

That only works for places with no winter/rust. Over here it's not worth dumping money into a pile of rust. You might as well put that money towards something new.

$500 cars are fun to abuse but not much fun as a DD. Been there done that.

500$ AND A WEEKEND

just buy a 4 year old shitbox and an old motorcycle for cash if you reallty want to have fun

>cars aren't fun

>4 year old shitbox

You're talking about two different needs. Most people need a reliable dd that requires little or no work and can get them from a to b without fail. Enter the $30k car. People who like cars may then go on to desire a toy, something fun that they can restore and work on for enjoyment. Enter the $300 project car. It doesn't matter if it breaks down and you have to wait several days for parts to come in because you already have a reliable dd to drive in the meantime.

>paying $300 for a car that you intend to drive daily
Buying into a project is one thing, buying into a reliable mode of transportation is another. You're going to have more issues with a $300 car. Even if it's more cost-efficient in the long run, those issues can be annoying, and fuck you over in emergencies. Your dd should never be a project in my opinion.

>paying $30k for a new car
The first problem here is buying new. The second problem here is not buying used.

Both of these options are shit OP.
>not paying $6-8k for an 8-10 year old economy car that will retain 75% of its value over the next 5 years, and do everything it needs to do reliably.

oh yea 2012 shitboxes are everywhere.

I partially regret spending so much time and money on shitboxes. Paying a couple hundred a month for a nice car is worth it.

Shitboxes never saved me a dime when you consider your time, parts and downtime on your vehicle. If it's a hobby I get it. I poured so much money into my shitty foxbody project then I bought a used 135i. The damn car was just as quick but was significantly more comfortable to drive, had better brakes and handled better and I was only paying about $240 a month for it.

Unfortunately the BMW was just totaled last week. A drunk smashed it while it was parked outside in a residential area when I visited my inlaws.

Now all I have is my old project car. Also, there's no need to take out a 30k loan for a fun car. There's plenty of used fun cars in the 10-20k range.

Auctions nigga.

shhhhhhhhh dont tell all the retards on o about this i gotta make money at the nissan stealership

Shh, he's just a kid. He still thinks everything is black and white. He totally has it all figured out.

>want to buy a $500 Legacy GT, fix the center diff in the tranny I have in the shop, put the EJ25 heads on the EJ22 I have and put a turbo on to make a fun, cheap beater

It's the most irresponsible thing I've ever even kicked around the idea of doing. Help me Veeky Forums, tell me how stupid I am.

That's stupid. High compression engines and turbos don't mix in most cars. The heads might fit. You are also going to need a tune which is going to cost more than you have in the car. Just get an old wrx.

Would probably be fun if you had a two car garage and a house but in that case $300/month would be like a piss in the ocean.

Are these 1970 prices?

Legacy is pigfat as fuck, unless you're a Subaru tech I wouldn't attempt it anyways

Probably has the utterly shit DOHC in it too

Just get a 90s Impreza

>bought a 20k euros car
>no loan because i'm not a poorfag
:^)

same here

i dont get how amerifats are not able to spend 20-30k on a car without taking a loan

How complicated is it to get a cash loan to buy a used car for let's say $3500?

Never bought a car I couldn't afford (which is why I'm driving old trash)

Not him but you've got to sit watching for a couple of weeks usually before you find that good, mold free example that hasn't been sitting outside under a tree out in the hills the last three years. I frequently (read; every three weeks or so) see something for around $400 I'd be able to get and spend no more than the remaining portion of a thousand bucks to make useful/sellable.

Cost me 1k to rebuild an engine alone. That's with bare minimum machinist work (deck head, refurbish old parts, and hot tank/check block)

>go to bank
>apply for loan
>say is for used car
>hope credit is good and get low rate
>pay it back at 50% of the loan period anyway

Retaining 75% of its value from 10-15years? My 15 year old Maxima was $1,500, it sure as hell Wasn't worth $2,000 in 2011, values drop faster.

Wish i could do that but I don't know the slightest thing about car repair

>has $20,000 in liquid assets sitting doing buttfucking nothing
>has the gall to give financial advice

Why wouldn't it be in a mutual fund set aside for a new car every 5 years? When you aren't an impulsive poorfag having to wait on an electronic transfer is no big deal. It also acts as a "don't be a fuckhead" message to yourself every time you have to hassle yourself with pulling money out that could be making more money.

"But what will the neighbors think if they see an old Totoya? Those fuckers nuked Pearl Harbor."

Passenger door dmg.

In my experience most banks wont lend for a used car that cheap. My credit union has a $5000 minimum.

I'd like to know what fantasy land you live in where you can somehow machine an engine and rebuild a tranny for $300.

Just because you haven't found it doesn't mean others haven't, Peter.

Heh

>put a turbo on it
When will this meme end?

>Not just buying a $4000-6000 Lexus.
>Not having a car with zero issues.
>Not having one of the cheapest to maintain vehicles.
>Not laughing at all of the cucks who (((finance))) 'new' cars.

ahahahahah

This tbqh. USDM Lexus-badged 90s/early 2000s Toyota a best. ES is a Camry, with Camry indestructibility, and the SC is a tank. IS is an Altezza without a 3S-GE option, and the GS is an Aristo without the 2JZ-GTE.