Is there any good reason why electric cars won't replace gas/diesel?

Is there any good reason why electric cars won't replace gas/diesel?

siberia is fucking huge

Recharge time, energy density, weight, cost. You're never going to get rid of all 4.

Not a practical choice if you live in the sticks

Two reasons
1. Lithium mines are disgusting and no first world country will allow them in their country
2. Batteries last a max of 15 years and are expensive to replace. Wonder why you never see a Prius with more than 150,000? Cause the batteries need to be replaced and are more expensive than the car is worth.
***BONUS POINT***
Jap car manufacturers have already developed efficient Hydrogen powered cars and they will more likely become the next generation of private transport. Fuck your tesla faggot.

Because a piece of wood or a PB&J sandwich contains more energy than a current li-ion cell.

Hydrogen will never ever replace the ICE, it's a dead end and retarded technology. One look at a periodic table confirms this.

Gas is just too cheap. Lithium costs too much to mine and refine and manufacture into a battery and between the mining(which requires gasoline/diesel vehicles to mine on sort of stable rate at this point in time) and manufacturing processes required it isnt any more "green" than gas, but most importantly it requires colossal infrastructure development and redevelopment for them to be as viable as gas. Gas will never be truly phased out completely until theres no oil left.

Hydrogen combusts internally in an engine.

bring to zero? no, but in some ways they've already eclipsed gas cars in at least three categories.

give it a decade and the S curve for electrics will basically go vertical

EE here
- the power grid does not have the output and ability to transfer enough energy to power them if you would replace every single car with an electric one

weight, price and longevity of the batteries after solving those issue car manufaturers will go full comfort of a v12 for 20k

listen to yourself man
what next, world peace?

Lithium cells deteriorate over time. I wont spend shekles on one until consumers have tested them for at least 10 years

This, our electrical infrastructure would never support everyone owning a electric car.

EE here
I can also say things on the internet with no actual citation.

it wouldn't support everyone owning a hydrogen car either, but things change eventually change

>Wonder why you never see a Prius with more than 150,000?
Because you're all blind?

The biggest lithium mine in the world sits in the deadest region in the world. The only thing that is close to being alive that is near by are flamingos and tiny super salt resistant shrimp. The areas they congregate are protected. Otherwise, they just evaporate water that is so salty, essentially nothing is alive in it.

There has never existed an electric car that was created without government assistance. They would not current exist in a free market. Once ICE are more expensive to produce and maintain than they are to purchase, then electric engines will take over.

Also, I think people are confusing life expectancy and warranty length. Cars don't die out after 6-10 years and/or 60-100k miles.

>Oh shit I forgot that everyone's car get maintained by one of the biggest unions in country

Or maybe you forgot that regular people don't even keep up with recommended maintenance on their vehicles and only faggots with no knowledge of vehicles buy a fucking Prius

I really hope the ICE can become more efficient without losing their semblance of reliability (which seems to be the trend of the tradeoff atm). I feel like the most efficient path for future cars to take is for the motor to be replaced by energy cells that receive power from nuclear fueling stations. But alas people are scared of nuclear capabilities and would rather continue using fossil fuels to power their power plants and simultaneously say that people need to conserve their electricity use because of pollution. If we could just manage to end the need for fossil fuels for everything besides cars we'd be set.

More wasteful than hybrids with worse reliability than hybrids.

shorter charge time and longer battery range also better battery tech along with cheaper to produce and sell. so no fossil fuels will be with us for a while yet.

Sound, have you ever had to endure the torture of a formula e race?

>only faggots with no knowledge of vehicles buy a fucking Prius
that's like 99% of the population, at least

no

/thread

Battery technology is still pretty shitty.

the 2 biggest things holding electric cars back are the cost to purchase and this anxiety people have over vehicle range. Current electric vehicles on the market already meet 90% of consumers needs.

Both problems will go away after time as scale of economy will make them cheaper, infrastructure improves and customer perception will change as a bandwagon effect will eventually occur. Even with current battery tech Tesla has cars with a 200 mile range which is amazing. The average person only drives 42 miles a day.

>Is there any good reason why electric cars won't replace gas/diesel?

Pollution.

how's electricity made in america? coal
electric cars are coal cars.

stupid government won't pour money into researching thorium reactors(way better alternative to uranium) because it doesn't make plutonium as a byproduct. plutonium is of course being used to make atomic weapons

>hydrogen
meme fuel

It is more efficient to just burn the natural gas the hydrogen comes from.

>lithium mines
they pump water through sand and rock to get a brine. then they leave it evaporate and leave behind lithium salts.

>battery life
early Prius use nickle batteries, but there are gen1/2 prius with a quarter of a million miles and their packs are still good. a lot of old prius owners change out bad cells with cells salvaged from wrecked prius.

>battery cost
batteries costs are dropping and their contents are too valuable to not be recycled. recycling reduces the energy and costs needed to make new batteries by 75%.

>muh coal

thermal efficiency for 400 Alex.

coal power plants, even old ones, produce far more energy per gram of co2, than any internal combustion engine.

most of America doesn't use coal as a majority of power these days. most of it is from natural gas now. natural gas produces even less CO2 per kilowatt hour.

in places like Quebec and France. The power is from nuclear, hydro, and other carbon free sources. So an EV is responsible for 0 grams of CO2 per mile.

200 miles is pretty shitty for how expensive it is to fill, how much pollution it causes and it's maintenance costs
>inb4 some faggot says "what maintenance?"
I'm just waiting until everyone realizes how expensive it is for a battery THAT'S LITERALLY BOLTED TO THE FUCKING FRAME OF THE VEHICLE to be replaced. Electric cars are limited in lifespan to however long the battery will live. At least with ICE the individual pieces can cheaply be replaced.
You're kinda right, the US uses depleted Uranium for armor and weapons, even ammunition as it's self sharpening when used as a projectile. We need to continue to develop nuclear capabilities as it's our best bet for a continuously growing dependence on electricity.

Because society peaked with the 1993 Buick Century, and we all lost motivation after that magnum opus

Range and continued performance.
Sure the 100grand p100d is three times faster to 60 than my 2000 dollar shit box, but my shitbox will do 6 second sprints to 60 all day long till it runs out of gas. The Tesla cant. That same 2000 dollar shit box will cruise at 80mph on the highway for close to 600 miles. The Tesla's advertised at the is under very good condition s

That being said, if I had 100k to spend on a car i would strongly consider the Tesla.

For he united States is 30% coal, 30% natural gas, 20%nuke, 7% hydro, 13% hippy farts.

>>That being said, if I had 100k to spend on a car i would strongly consider the Tesla.

You're fucking dumb if you'd blow 100 grand on a glorified all electric Prius. You could literally put down 25% on a 300k house and buy an RX7 FD and still have 10k to mod it.
>ever being this stupid

If I had 100k to spend on a car it's because I would have millions and 100k would not be that significant.

>Ever having such low assperations.

Apartment dwellers

Apartment companies are putting in charging now. At least in the urban and inner suburb complexes. They don't want to lose a customer because they have no charging for EVs.