So its just a turbo...?

So its just a turbo...?

What differentiates Ecoboost from regular turbochargers?

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2016/03/02/radical-rxc-turbo-500r-geneva/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

high compression
direct injection
lack of a catch can

marketing, it's bullshit

Like how the occupation Janitor gets renamed to "Sanitation Engineer". Just bullshit

>What differentiates Ecoboost from regular turbochargers?

What year your engine was built.

So for someone who knows very little about how a turbo actually works, how does this make the car run in comparison to a "normal" turbo?

>my 1.6L Ecoboob has a cast crank

So dumb

The old TURBO marketing gimmick everyone latched onto decades ago implanted the idea in everyones minds that turbo only means performance and sports cars
so the trick to market turbos nowadays to everyone is to make it new-age friendly and make up some hippy bullshit and add "green" words like "eco"
>wew did ya see dat furd ecoboost engine? can't believe ford of all people are looking out for the environment, i'm off to get a brand new ford fusion(TM)!"

tends to make the valves dirty.

Turbo of course
Direct injection
Base tune for much mpgs over power hence the name

The DI engine has no way of keeping the intake valves clean as the fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber so it never touches the valves. On old port injection, the injector constanly bathed the valves with detergent gas and no deposits would form.

The issue with an upper induction cleaning is every time it is done, some of those hard deposits are forced between the cylinder wall and the piston and cause minor souring. Not much of an issue doing it only a few times in the life of the average engine, but do it too much and you will eventually create excess blow-by from the scouring as the scratches get deeper. A proper catchcan system and only one designed correctly to work with a turbo system like the ecoboost, is the best solution as it prevents this coking from the start.

It's no different to what bmw and vw have been doing since about 2004

It's not just from the PCV system, it's also the EGR and the valve guides

yep
this is a stock ecoboost

Egr doesn't bake carbon onto the valves. Valve guides will have very little leakeage. Other user is correct in that a catch can solves 99% of the issues.

>What differentiates Ecoboost from regular turbochargers?
Marketing
Everybody is doing high compression DI turbo engines now, ecoboost is nothing special.

>Egr doesn't bake carbon onto the valves
EGR contributes quite a bit to carbon buildup on DI cars. That's why people are deleting EGR systems in TDI VWs and stuff left and right.

Ecoboost is just Ford's name for the Mazda MZI and MZR engines with a turbocharger. Duratec is the name of the same engine without the turbo.

When will this meme die? Yes, Ford was using Mazda engines at one point. They don't anymore.

Ecoboost is a Duratec with a turbo. Duratec is an MZR. The Mustang 2.3L I4 shares engine mounts and a bellhousing bolt pattern with the NC Miata 2.0L, not to mention bore spacing, flange patterns, etc.

sorry i only skim read your post, egr doesn't cause the baked on stuff but it does pump a lot of shit down there that a catch can alone won't sort.
and leakage past valve guides also causes carbon build up if it's not being washed off, it's a slower process so might not be relevant on the relatively new cars here but it's a reality.
water injection is the best solution as it deals with all of it and allows you to keep a proper crankcase ventilation system

No it actually doesn't. Nothing wrong with deleting it, but the pcv system is where 99% of the shit comes from.

Wasn't my post, I was just agreeing with the guy. As a mechanic, the number of engines I've seen with badly worn valve guides is very low. Would also have to be coupled with fucked valve stem seals at the same time. Guides and seals are both generally very good in modern cars. 99% of the issue is the pcv. You can also run a proper pcv system while removing the oil, I personally run a provent on my yd25. Everything stays hooked up, the air is just properly separated from the oil.

nice meme, but its nothing without proof.

Im glad ford ditched mazda, mazda sucks ass

>So its just a turbo...?
Yep. It's Ford's way of saying "lol we made a tarbo pls buy our cars".

Pretty much trying to out-Volvo Volvo but without glorious I5s.

>being this much of an ignorant troll
Wew

hmm

FYI the crank and a whole lot of parts from the stang and Focus RS can be swapped into the Mazdaspeed MZR

well looks like I won, can't say the say with mazda tho. lmao

volvo never made direct injection i5

same*

Really makes you think, huh?

>(you)

If the Boostang and RS basically have MS3 engines, I wonder if they can handle the same amount of power

900+ crank hp has been done on those 2.3L's

>LeMemes
Ford didn't even win.
16 places behind TOYOTA

The SSC Ultimate Aero?
It has a GM engine.

The Hennessy is not generally "road" "legal" in enough countries.

Any evidence to support your claim?

Hey its a busrider

Pic related

They're special whirly turbos. Very good for the environment.

>No it actually doesn't.
Yes, it actually does, you colossal retard. Do you think exhaust clean air? Have you ever worked on a car in your life? Have you ever seen the soot and carbon buildup in exhaust ports? EGR feeds a little bit of that that DIRECTLY INTO YOUR INTAKE. Over time, it creates loads of buildup.

Slower than the sr8

>citation needed
>spoon and circle races

HOLY SHIT MODS ARE ACTUALLY DELETING SHITPOSTS MODS = GOD'S FOR ONCE ON THIS GODFORSAKEN BOARD

>spoon feed me mommy!!!

>still no citation
I'm not the assblasted one here.

autoblog.com/2016/03/02/radical-rxc-turbo-500r-geneva/

>" the RXC Turbo 500R is Radical's fastest-ever track coupe."

It's a fancy way to say "turbocharged engine", cause they want to make it sound like it's some fancy forced induction technology.

>spoon feed me mommy!!!

So why is it slower than the sr8 around the ring?

How would you know since it's never been taken around the nordschliefe, v8 cuckboy lol

it seems weird radical would call their ecoboost godmachine the fastest if it isnt the fastest now huh?

I'm a mechanic. Soot is soot. It doesn't magically turn itself into hard carbon buildup on the back if valves, which is what we're talking about if you would bother to read. Fucking moron.

Just like how gm say the c7 is faster than the zr1 but it isn't
They can be shown as wrong if they don't directly test their statement can they? It's like me saying I have a big dicks but never taking my pants off (I do btw)

That wasn't so hard was it?

>n-n-n-no ! the ecoboost powered car is really the fastest road car on earth!! t-t-t-this can't be!

>Soot is soot. It doesn't magically turn itself into hard carbon buildup on the back if valves
Nigger you what? Soot is LITERALLY carbon dust and EGR 100% irrefutably contributes to buildup on valves, you stupid fucking nigger. You're no mechanic, you probably don't know metric from SAE, anyone who has ever wrenched on cars has seen the buildup in EGR valves and around EGR hoses/ports in intake manifolds.

Next gen "eco" branded tech has lied to us again

Not 100%
Shit gets through an air filter, and cars do backfire every now and then, even newer ones.
But EGR is shit, delete ASAP

t. a different mechanic

>mfw seeing "ECO" plastered all over CFL lightbulb packages when they're full of mercury and people throw them in the landfill because they can't be arsed to dispose of them properly
>mfw those bulbs never live up to their estimated lifespan
>mfw people fell for the eco jew again

They already switched to port fuel injection combined with direct injection for 2017 models
Stay triggered V8 cuck

>All that build up

>Not 100%
YES 100% dumbass, there is NO debating that EGR contributes to intake tract fouling, it is 100% certain.

Agreed, but 100% of it is not from EGR alone.

Also ecoboost is shit. Replace with better turbo, or get the '17 port injection setup.
Or BOTH

Because they are smaller than the engines that they replaced in addition to this .

Also see

ITT: triggered V8 cuckolds

>Agreed, but 100% of it is not from EGR alone.
I never said that, read gudder son

its turbo and direct injection (which also means throttle-by-wire bc no throttle body so yep that's it dude a lot of companies do the same thing they just refer to it with different names, nothing special really

Fords most powerful engine is a v8
Lolol

>no proof its faster than sr8 or the LM
>only has link showing a company trying to hype up their new car

Actually not that uncommon on a lot of vehicles post 2010. Saw an Accord the other day and it looked like you could go up to the tail pipe and break off a 1lb chunk of carbon.

>implying DI is a good thing

You haven't heard of the ecoboost v8 in the gt500 by ford themselves kys

>inb4 bait

Gm said the c7 will run sub 7 minutes at the ring
They also said their ignition switches don't kill peolle
Manufacturers are always to be trusted, good goy

When will I get to be memed?

It came out last year that two Chinese companies along with LG were making shit bulbs on purpose that we basically made to fail.

Unfortunately Veeky Forums's pet assburger doesn't like GM

it spins a lot faster than a normal turbo a normal turbo will spin at about 7000 rpm with a small amount of boost. the ecoboost turbocharger spins at about 16,000 rpm. with the same amount of boost

So it fails faster

I think your numbers might be a bit off

>a normal turbo will spin at about 7000 rpm with a small amount of boost. the ecoboost turbocharger spins at about 16,000 rpm. with the same amount of boost

As of 2010, Ford is introducing a GDI turbo variant of the Mazda LF engine design as the EcoBoost 2.0L, using Ford's own manifold and engine control systems. Ford plans to use the L-engine well into the future for their EcoBoost and Duratec 4-cylinder generations. As of 2011, Mazda will cease to develop the L-engine, to be replaced by the SKYACTIV P-engine. At this time, Ford will be the only manufacturer still using the Mazda L-engine design.

im not banned

Most companies use twin scroll turbos and are well into boost by 1,500 rpm.

Not for long V8 cuck

You haven't worked on a TDI VW. Shit gets nasty with heavy buildup from the egr. Totally get what your saying though. My DI BMW didn't have an egr system and had all sorts of problems with valves getting dirty from the pcv system.

>being this triggered that he has no proof of being faster than the sr8 LM other than a company hyping their new car

It's just a corporate buzzword for their line of GDI turbo engines.

Radical >you

physical proof > hype

Radical >you

>lying
Lol

>He doesn't know the Mustang Ecoboost is basically using a Mazdaspeed engine
Kek

I really don't get why OEMs didn't do combined port + direct injection from the start. Port injection to create the homogeneous lean mixture, direct injection to create the stratified rich charge.

I don't know why they don't use water injection to cool the combustion chamber instead of just running rich

The point of the rich charge is not to reduce temperatures but to make it possible to have a mixture that is on average leaner than stoich without risking detonation.

okay I'm talking about when they do run rich to reduce temperatures, like on boost

The concern is hydrolock. Also there's no good way to really know the water concentration of the air entering the engine so you can't exactly get the ECU to control things.

This is the mixture of exhaust gases and the oil from the pcv you stupid fuck. Exhaust soot by itself doesn't cause carbon buildup on the back of valves. Dumbass.

I own a vw TDI, and do a lot of work on them actually. As above, it is the combination of oil mist with the exhaust gas. If no oil mist, the soot doesn't stick.

I don't understand how this is so hard for people to understand. Put your hand in front of the exhaust and rev the vehicle. You can brush the particles off. Coat your hand with oil then do the same thing and try to brush it off. You end up with a filthy whore paste, like you see in intakes when the pcv oil mist mixes with the exhaust gasses.

This is some weapons grads autism. Turbo going at 16000 rpm. Wew lad

I really don't understand why PCV systems dump oil into the intake. Why not filter out the oil and dump it back into the oil pan?

>>spoon and circle races
moving goalposts like a true busrider

Some cars do but no system is perfect. Part of the problem is the oil is a vapor so it has to condense. The cool intake charge does a great job of doing this unfortunately. If you ever play around with a catch can you'll have to play around with baffling and steel wool to effectively filter anything out. My catch can didn't catch anything with the integrated baffling it had.

Lots of times the valve covers will have baffling integrated into them to help with this problem but they're never perfect and on turbo cars it's never good enough.