What is the correct way to design lane merges?

What is the correct way to design lane merges?

depends on the location and which lanes were already there vs repaving/widening jobs

make a highway entrance ramp the exact same lane as the exit and only give them 500 feet

personally I like the example on the right in my pic the best. Then no one crowds to one side super early for no reason.

That means determining fault for accidents extremely difficult, as neither lane has the right of way.

Tell them they both suck at driving and they're each liable for fixing their own cars. Seems pretty easy to me.

Someone fucks up on the left, they go off the road, someone fucks up on the right, they go straight into opposing traffic.

The safe option is the left.

Right is the most use in Denmark.
But we also have raised, concrete or steel dividers.

We have a terrible car culture and the example on the right will create way to many battles for space

It should be the opposite than the one on the left, so people will stay on the right lane and people going faster move to the new lane.

Oh shit I messed up

Did you mean Seattle ramps?
People are entirely retarded and can't figure out how to merge that fast and routinely cause wrecks.

Both should be fine since everyone should be able to look ahead and form a zipper pattern with cars around them and merge without incident.
But they're retarded and can't. Put a concrete wall at the end, merge or die

Where I am from, the lane doesn't even start until the ramp so you don't have to worry about merging into anyone because the lane/ramp becomes a lane

Fast into slow because anything else is plainly dangerous.

I've never understood who in their right mind thought these were an ok design

Man, this shit is all over the place in Euro Truck Sim 2, and I hate it.

But the worst ones are the interchanges where the traffic going straight through gets just one fucking lane on a freeway. That's some bullshit.

These exits usually don't actually exist in the real world, I don't know why they've been put in ETS2 especially considering normal exits also exist in the game. I know of exactly one exit in my entire state of Germany where a lane splits off entirely, and that's on a three lane section.

>Fast into slow

Yeah, but in many places the left lane is the slow lane.

I will never understand why some countries designate the fast lane as the one everyone is always trying to merge into in order to get on or off the freeway.

Those would also have mirrored road layouts, so the principle "fast into slow" still applies. In fact that's exactly why I've worded it like this.

It's down to the driver.

If I'm ahead of a car, I expect them to slow down and let me merge. If I'm behind them, I'll slow down.

Too many faggots like to just continue to drive and not let people merge even if they're slightly behind the person wanting to merge.

When merging it's your job to either speed up if you want in front of me or slow down if your shitbox can't accelerate. I am not gonna alter my speed for you. If there is room for me to move over a lane I will

Both, the one on the right means that traffic is coming the other way. The one on the left would be use on a highway to indicate the road shoulder.

Wtf are those gay ass stars next to anonymous

/bread