Mazda3 gas mileage sucking

Needed an affordable, reliable, and fuel efficient car for my daily long commutes to school so I decided to go with a 2012 Mazda3 skyactiv hatch (pic related).
I love the car but my gas mileage is sucking (averaging 25.5mpg when it should be at least 32mpg). I drive lightly, changed oil and all filters, and even took it to Mazda service center for a warranty check up and they found no issues. They explained it could be due to my crappier tires (they are loud when I drive 40+mph).

Do you guys think tires can make that much of a difference in mpg or is there something else to this? your help is appreciated

When you say 25.5 mpg is that city or highway driving?

It's the average of both. I drive roughly equal amount of hwy and city as well.

that seems pretty damn awful then. Tires can definitely make a difference but that seems like much too big of a discrepancy. You could also check your tire pressure of course. Seeing as how you took it to the dealer I would think they would have discovered any issues, but how are your air filter and spark plugs? Is it possible there is an issue with brakes dragging or something like that?

Tires could definitely be an issue or something bigger like mechanical problems you never know

However EPA estimates are rarely indicative of real world results, it could be your driving style for example pulling down the mpgs.

Car and Driver managed 29 MPG mixed. Knowing their results are always pretty low, I'd say it would be reasonable to expect most normal drivers to average at least 30 in mixed driving

Is it auto or manual?

This. If auto, reset the tranny memory

Check tire pressures. Inflate properly. Check your MAFs, O2 sensor, verify that your valves are not caked with carbon. Make sure your tires are set up correctly so that the tread is going in the right direction for your tire.

There are a lot of things that you could look into. If it's a manual transmission you should be shifting by 2500 RPM.

Yeah I was thinking tires shouldn't make that much of a difference. Tire pressure is high (they even added more at service), I jussst changed my air filter (OEM) and cabin air filter. I was thinking it may be sparkplugs but the car only has 34K miles on it..they shouldn't go out that quick. If brakes were dragging, wouldn't it have been obvious (noise, marked rotors, etc)?

Any other possibilities you think? Thanks a lot for your help

>25.5mpg
You should be thankful OP.

I drive a 2008 hatch (2 liter) and sometimes get 19mpg city. If I really baby it I can get 24 mpg.

Just fuck my shit up.

how do you do this?

Its Auto

Yeah and a couple friends have the same car and drive heavier and are still getting way better than me. Def not my driving style. Most people on the Mazda forums are getting 32-35mpg average

Tire pressure is good. Not sure about sensors..but carbon buildup on 34K miles? Not sure what tests the Mazda Center ran but they did give me a spreadsheet of things needing to be changed and I changed them (filters).
Thanks a lot for your help guys

I got a nissan versa stick shift. Gets avg 41 on hwy and 32 on san francisco hills.

12k after taxes. Cheap cheap

>ctrl+f align
Seriously, nobody mentioned alignment? Get that checked out.

>drive 2005 2.3L hatch
>get 33mpg combined
>even with 160k miles
Your either lying or stupid
You too

Another one fell for the skyactiv meme. Mazda has always been shit with mpg, compression mumbo jumbo will not cure it

>trying this hard to get people angry
What is wrong with you?
Its literally a mental disorder.
Just stop

>skyactiv
>bad fuel mileage
>road noise
Yeah this is a troll thread
Probably started by mazda haters that do the skyactiv hate threads.
Probably this guy
The fuck is wrong with you?
What did mazda do to you?
Are you mad they are better than whatever europoor shitbox you drive?
I dont get it...

Tires shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Hell, i consider 25mpg amazing! I get 13 on a good day; I'm excited to get a muscle car with that economic 15-18mpg....

Its a B8 thread m8. Stop replying

When its a shitting on mazda thread, its a bait thead. When its a corvette or other jap crap thread, its 300 replies click here for more

But seriously.
Its a b8 thread.
Look at the setup.

Which trim is it? If it's an S you have the 2.5l engine. You're getting perfectly normal mpg. 32 is all highway. My parents have a mazda 5 with the same engine and they average 23-25 with very little highway miles. The best they've seen is 32.

Your parents are faggots

I'm getting 40MPG in a 2.0ltr manual '09 lancer rx hatch. 25MPG seems a little excessive for a car that size.

Hes trolling you moron.
Stop replying

I drive 07 2.3 hatch
Avg 21.7 but I'm floored almost everywhere I go cause fuck it

A couple guys on the mazda3 forums said an exhaust and CAI might help. I'm skeptical though.

diesel golf
/thread

There are people getting 50mpg with just an intake.
You suck at driving
I still get 33mpg and still manage to move quickly in my 2.3L non skyactiv

disconnect the battery for 24 hours

Auto or Manual?

I have an 11 with a 2.5L and the 6 Speed Manual, on the highway with cruise set around 80 I pull 30mpg.

I drive from NYC to DC twice per month, going from a 14mpg Lifted Wrangler to this cunt has left me right flush with cash enough to be buy a motorcycle.