Veeky Forums. i just think i made a mistake - help

So based off the original pictures and the other images and discussion everyone here was saying, I decided to trade in my (100 000km, 2010, 2WD, I-4, Auto, Chevy Colorado with underside rust) for a (Ford Ranger 2010, 150 000km, AWD, V6, Stick shifter with some body rust.
I've owned the 2010 colorado since the 2010 but didn't actually enjoy the act of driving until just this week and decided I needed an AWD for the north Canadian winters. I still needed a truck due to HAZMAT material moving procedures so the plastic bed is my only option.

Traded both vehicles in for the valued pricing and the Ranger's A/C literally just gave out. A coworker thinks I got ripped off because the breaks, body, and all that shit is going to go to shit in the next 2-3 years.

How do I prevent these things? They should reliably wear out less than Chevrolets post 2005s but it looks like the method of driving may or may not be the best.

Is this buyer's remourse? I really just wanted a vehicle to temporarily drive until I graduate school and get enough money/ insurance experience to pay the insurance on a business AND leisure vehicle.

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201
ebay.com/itm/3-Front-2-Rear-Lift-Kit-w-Shocks-2WD-1998-2005-Ford-Ranger-Explorer-Sport-Trac-/260920462926?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&hash=item3cc0124e4e:g:oTcAAOSwSHZWeqnk&vxp=mtr
youtube.com/watch?v=TpYe7brlpUs
summitracing.com/int/parts/vor-4fu218620l/overview/make/ford
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the story behind the gif?

Man from Sweden fires AR-15 for the first time.

nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

That's hilarious. It's not even that loud. They don't have much recoil compared to pretty much any high caliber rifle either. As for the truck, OP, why do you think the brakes are completely fucked?

God, nu-males are horrifying.

What's wrong with the brakes and why can't you fix the A/C?

no he's just gay

i suppose i just rush purchased a 4x4 manual and was too fucking impatient to get back into manual driving after inheriting my father's work vehicle.
even so, i waited 3 months looking for a Under 10 000 dollar 4x4 extended cab manual truck. idunno

yeah, you should really get the jew or the cuck to fire a shotgun. see how he feels from there.
or one of those 2-gauge shotguns a while back

more on the trucc. the breakpads look to be changed as per ontario safety inspections but the actual disk itself was never changed out and definitely needs repairing.

the body is pretty rusted but was painted over with bubbles and shit. there are also those hairline peels that occur on the body which means it could rust out and start to significantly peel in 2-4 years.

no the a/c just literally gave out while i was driving today. i'll take it to the mech and see if it's an electrical or a hard issue with it

Dude the rotor is literally a slide-off slide-on repair. It's no big deal. A/C doesn't work period or doesn't blow cold? If the mechanicals of the truck are fine a 4x4 ranger will serve you for many years, 3.0 or 4.0 v6?

Why would you trade in a rusty truck for a rusty truck?

im gay and dont associate me with that pussy

4x4 vs rwd makes a difference in a minitruck.

money issues, mainly. finally got my manual back which i am happy about.
it's also something i can just beat into the ground and not care. plus i can finally tow a boat with it.

I guess since the mechanics are fine, the body rust really won't be that big of a deal - even if it starts to peel away?
the colorado had a few gasket issues, coolant leakage, and other shit like that. under the hood, i could easily predict more issues to come... i know rangers are a bit better hen it comes to that
4.0 V6

a comedy reality show that makes fun of ridiculous effeminate gay men who are put in a military style boot camp

the guy in the gif is Norwegian, but the show had effeminate gay men from Denmark and Sweden there too

t. Norwegian, I remember watching this on TV a long time ago

I wouldn't be too concerned about the brakes. Watch some videos on how to change them. It's really easy and you can do it in a day easily. Look for tips and tricks on removing the drums and rotors on you model. They are usually easy but with the rust it could be hard to get them off. Dont be afraid to beat the living shit out of the drums and rotors if you are replacing them anyway. The ac could be as simple as a fuse. You can always check if your compressor is kicking on to know where the issue is. I would be most concerned about the rust. There isn't much you can do about it if it's bubbling other than having it repaired and painted which might not be terribly expensive depending on the shop and the extent if the damage. It probably hasn't been painted over but is rusting from behind the panel through to the front. This happened to my car and I had to make and weld in patch panels. Luckily I live in a dry climate now.

There's nothing good about a 4.0 SOHC

I'm up in Canada and would take the salt roads to the dirt roads to the ice roads to go ice fishing. I would finally be comfortable enough to drive this on the lake nowadays as opposed to the 2WD colorado. It's going to take a lot of damage from rust over the years from salt, rocks, and other shit.
Is it worth getting one of those $300 lift kits off ebay? can get a leveller or just add two extra leafs into the springs:
ebay.com/itm/3-Front-2-Rear-Lift-Kit-w-Shocks-2WD-1998-2005-Ford-Ranger-Explorer-Sport-Trac-/260920462926?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&hash=item3cc0124e4e:g:oTcAAOSwSHZWeqnk&vxp=mtr

There's a good potential that it could rust from the out in but there are some spray jobs in the front and back of the bumpers so that's why I'm suspect.
I suppose I'll take it to the body shop, get some tinted windows, and do a fixer job if it's under a grand. Can patch panels handle the situations I'm driving in if it is indeed rusting from the outside in?

oh. what do?

Ignore him. It won't last forever like the 3.0 but it actually has power.

The patch panels will be just as good as a completely new panel as long as all of the rust has been cut out. With cheaper lift kits you don't get the same amount of travel as you would with a higher quality kit. The ride with be rougher but you will get more clearance. As long as you aren't trying to rally through rough terrain it will be fine

So in total repairs for this vehicle on top of the $9000, am I looking at $1500 or $2000 in repairs or something?

is it just a meme, then? SOHC vs DOHC? i know the latter affords more control but there really isn't much you can do without changing the whole engine, eh?

It's not exactly a mudding vehicle but I do want it to handle giant patches of mud when I get the chance. Off my masters/doctorate, i think i'll get a Land Rover Defender as a normal driving vehicle just for that purpose. Either that or the jacked up Euro Audi A4 4x4.
regardless, why would adding an extra leaf spring make for a rougher ride? isn't the regular suspension still in tact? You're saying to not cheap out on them and just to invest in a $1000 or so leaf extension?

back to the brakes, i suppose i'll dust off the tyre iron and switch the plate off.

hey how much would it be to turbo this thing? there's a lot more space under the hood than in my colorado despite it being smaller in width.

Dude, forget about the valvetrain. Also there is no point in modding the engine of a ranger. The 4.0 is the most powerful one so you did well, the 2.3 and the 3.0 are super slow. Adding a leaf spring is literally stiffening the car, so yes it would make for a rougher ride.

TL;DR, not THAT big of a ripoff? (:

>6 year old small truck with over 150k km on the ticker
>how much would it be to turbo this thing

ehhhh, I wouldn't do that if I were you

All risk, no reward?

Thing is that I was the same guy who popped up the $15000 Ram 2016 thread (after all applicable fees, it would've been a total $22 000 I pay for the vehicle). But they don't make manual Ram 1500s so I opted for something I could play around with instead.

Looks like I did bite off a bit more than I could chew. But perhaps better than the colorado later down the line, though...

test

If you want to have some serious fun off-road it's definitely worth it to buy the higher end kit. One of my friends had a colorado with a cheap 3" lift and it wasn't bad but it was more bouncy than dampening. If you got more than 3ft of air it would bounce on the landing which is fairly unnerving. We have an excursion at work with an extremely cheap 6" lift and it is unbearable to drive.

>pic related
Oh, 4chin

Why can't the Rangers just have a spring suspension. Then you could just disk it. God damn it.
A $1000-$1500 lift kit would be in order to keep the suspension from not hardening, then?

I can already imagine the yellowtext story that would ensue:
>excursion at work
>get to go on a field
>get on this 1980 looking halftrack
>this nigga driving automatic
>take a glimpse of underside
>6" after-market lift kit
>kids fall over when trying to climb up
>guy tries running over monkeys but they just clear their heads since 6" lift kit
>norad thinks we're a hijacked plane since 6" lift kit
>entire ride was cancer
>mfw i have no face
>pic related

Fucked up the cropping. Fubb.

>man I got ripped off Veeky Forums. I'm going to have to replace my brake pads soon.
Lol, seriously dude?

flip it, buy a lower mileage toyota and save the rest of the money for when you graduate.

If you don't like the interior of a late 90s/early 00s Toyota pickup truck then you can get a Land Cruiser 80 or 100 for fairly cheap these days, get a trailer with a flat bed and you're set.

You know, before this thread. I HONESTLY believed that. I've literally just driven cars and never worked on them before since I had a mechanic and a decent paying job and too little time on my hands. My mechanic is a family friend and handled everything alongside my father.

However, since the recent death of my father and me having to maintain this fucking breaking down BMW X3 and acquiring a new vehicle, I'm learning things on this board that I have no idea how I have lived without.

Before this thread and this post: , I didn't know brakes were easy to change. Before 3 days ago, I didn't even know underside rust proofing was a thing that needed to be done because salt was a thing in Canada.

Before a week ago, I didn't even use Veeky Forums or 420chan other than to read the occasional /k/ and /benz/ stories.

I go on 420chan to make me feel better about my drug use. I thought _I_ was bad, until I read the posts by all those faggot junkies.

Oh god, this faggot. When I saw the flag I lost. lol

Is that the Swedish flag? An exchange student at uni told me guys in Sweden are little bitches with no game and the girls are actually the ones who have to approach the guys.

After the OPs gif I can see why

Yes, it is lol. The most cucked nation on earth.

I remember when they still had the word filter in place "chicken nugget" whenever you typed "faggot".
Fuck that was a great time.

so why no turbo?

The engine isn't designed for forced induction nor is it a very high revving engine plus it's already halfway through its expected lifespan. The vehicle itself isn't really designed for speed either and the 210hp produced by the 4.0 V6 is perfectly adequate for that small pickup. Adding a turbo would be very expensive and substantially reduce the remaining lifespan of the engine... it's just not worth it IMO.

I guess this is why people don't race with trucks. Good HP but more on the torque side than the speed side.

Once I hit 300 000 on this thing, do I replace the engine or replace the vehicle? I suppose the transmission would give out before the engine at that point to be concerned with.

>minitruck.
ute

A ute is a car based vehicle
A minitruck is a mini truck. A little rwd hilux is not a ute, it's a minitruck
A commodore ute is well a ute

a truck is a kenworth, ameridumb

tractor trailer or tractor

>autistralians

a tractor is used on a farm m8

>m8
>aus
oh ya

a hilux is a ute, only posers call it a truck

wat.

Australians, ignore them.

No he's worse than gay, much much worse.

why is he aus too?

Considering a stock windsor for 90's f150 only puts out 205 for nearly double the truck, 210 is reasonable.

Regardless the 4.0 is shit, and sounds like shit.

You want more power get a built 5.0 and do a swap.

Nu males are willing to kowtow and get ass raped becuase any other race and "gender" becuase of percieved white guilt.

They are cowards to the nth degree.

Please explain why you believe why the 4.0 is shit apart from it being sohc, having a shit exhaut note, and not making a ton of power.

As before stated you can't do all that much with them when trying to make more power. besides the other things you listed.

Its why most ranger owners opt for a 5.0 swap if they want more power.

At least the Windsor can be built shy of 500

So it's a perfectly fine DD motor? Then it's hardly shit. You don't necessarily mod the shit out of a ranger, they're just nice dailies.

Are you telling me to swap out the engine at 210k miles or telling me to get a better trucc?

the 4.0s high pitched wine reminds me of those turbocharged V8s that used to rev on my block. only difference is that the whine can only be heard inside the vehicle. but i do enjoy the sound of my 4.0 V6 more than my I-5s (which already sounded smexy af)

I just took the thing off road yesterday on a field beside my house. loads of fun and handles great. could use an extra 3-5cm of clearnce, though.

ramjet 350
put it in your ford to satisfy the chevfags

youtube.com/watch?v=TpYe7brlpUs

Op said he wanted more power though.

And yes they're reliable but they suck down gas without giving all that much back .

The whine is probably your gears. And Im referring to the HP it puts out, and your options for getting more power.

Most ranger owners wanting more power do a 5.0 engine swap like I've said.

Are you sure they're the gears? That's not a good thing, is it?
Sorry for being so dull. I'm still learning shit as I'm quite new to vehicles in general see: I suppose I'll do the swap after browsing Veeky Forums for 2 more years. At that point, I would've racked up 200 - 220 k on the Ranger and would've invested a shitload of money into it already and acquire a lot of car knowledge to boot.

Thanks for making me feel like I didn't lose out on my vehicle :))

Stupid questions maybe: Would it be worth to turbo a 5.0L or should I just get an old S-10 or F-150 if I really wanted to do that? What's the Ramjet 350 looking like?

Gear whine isn't necessarily a bad thing, I would have the oil level checked in your transmission.

Turbo Kits for the 5.0 are obscenely expensive, Supercharger kits exist but I don't know if they would fit in with the ranger.

Your option would be having a 5.0 built with a better cam/lifters/etc and GT40 heads, you can get over 300hp with NA mods alone.

Neat. Will do.
I kinda like the whines but it only happens when I'm cruising and not in first to third gears. Either that or I can't hear it when in that lowered gear.

One thing I enjoy about this ranger is that the hood is smaller than the colorado but the parts are much smaller as well which leaves for more room under the hood. It looks like a V6 5.0L super charger can take up the entire space under the hood which works pretty well:
summitracing.com/int/parts/vor-4fu218620l/overview/make/ford

Is it worth actually just putting a Mustang engine in there at that point?

>mustang engine

He's not wrong.

is he right? :T
or are you talking about: and how he mentions the GT40 heads (not engines?)

Mustang engines take gt40 heads.