I'm thinking about getting a sportbike. What's a good bike to get for a beginner that's decently quick...

I'm thinking about getting a sportbike. What's a good bike to get for a beginner that's decently quick? How much should I be spending? I live in the midwest United States

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

motorcyclebeginnerguide.weebly.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=W22nnZ1zEtk
youtube.com/watch?v=4OAXrE5uFqc
phillipmccallen.com/triumph/triumph-street-triple-restrictor-kit-35kw.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

daytona is a good bike
less peaky than the 4 bangers, and decent power

gtfo

Go to your containment thread pls

have you ridden one? theres a reason there are more 3 bangers now. they are just easier to ride

What cc should I be looking for? how much for a sub 6s 0-60 time and what price?

Just get an SV650 faggot

>decently quick

See, this is where you made your first mistake. The choice of a sportbike for a beginner was the second.

Short answer:
Get a Suzuki SV650. Or anything in this displacement range for a comparable amount when new (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc.)
These bikes are reliable, have more power than anyone will ever need on the road, and are cheap (both purchase price and gas usage).

Long answer:
How fast a bike is 90% of the time on normal roads or on the track depends on the rider, not the bike.

While a larger bike will have more HP and will accelerate faster, it will also more easily cover up any and all mistakes you make during driving (mistakes that can prove fatal).

In this case, starting on a small bike has the advantage of first, getting you accustomed to how a riding a bike feels as well as getting you much needed experience. And experience is what usually separates the living and the dead.

You can do anything on a 250cc bike that you can on a 1000cc bike, but you won't get killed as fast. I actually enjoy my 250cc more than my 700cc precisely because I need to act like a complete idiot to get into trouble, while my 700cc has ample power to make me go too fast without me realizing it.

What most people do not realize is that a normal bike (like the Suzuki mentioned above) with 70 HP and 200kg has a better power to weight ratio than most sport cars. When you couple that with only 2 wheels, idiotic drivers next to you, no airbags or crumple zones, then you might see how this can become a problem.

Thank you

I am not well versed in motorcycle

Ninja 500.
>pic related (my first bike)

>getting a sportbike
>for a beginner

First mistake. Proper sportbikes (like the R6 in your picture) are not meant for beginners.

They're too much bike for someone who has no clue what they're doing. Too much power, too much brakes, and they only egg you on to go faster because that's their one purpose. You don't buy a sportbike to poottle down to the church on Sunday...

You underestimate just how fast bikes can be. An R6 is faster than a 500-600hp car, litres blow that out to like 800+. Would you learn to drive in a peaky unforgiving 600hp car that hates going slowly?

Look into 650's, like said. SV650, Ninja 650/ER-6n etc, it doesn't matter as long as it makes 80hp or less.

Bikes aren't like cars, they don't make them forgiving enough for the lowest common denominator to operate safely. If you fuck up bad enough you'll get chewed up and spat out whether you're on a Ninja 250 or a ZX-14R, and faster bikes only amplify that.

Oh, and protective gear. Get some. Because if you don't, you'll sure as fuck wish you had if you crash. If you come off you'll get cheese gratered down by the road until you're a big smear of human tomato paste without protection so cover up.

Full face helmet and full body coverage, and full length boots (not motorcycle "shoes") works best.

At the end of the day you're responsible for your own safety, so don't make it harder for yourself to succeed by buying the wrong bike and not wearing the appropriate gear.

You can't really start your motorcycle career with a "decently quick sportbike". As these other faggots have already said, modern sport bikes are very refined and require a decent amount of aptitude and precision when it comes to operating them. It isn't rocket science (as you can tell by the large number of retards out there who ride sport bikes perfectly well) but there is definitely a steep learning curve at the end of which most rational people will conclude that they don't even want a fast sport bike anymore because they literally can't be fucking ridden in any kind of suburban environment without breaking the law/putting yourself in great danger

H A Y A B U S A
A
Y
A
B
U
S
A

motorcyclebeginnerguide.weebly.com/
read this

Any bike from pic related.
All of them can have a restrictor installed that drops the power down to around 45bhp.
all you have to do when you want more power is de restrict it, don't start on a small bike.

this andSV a stronk

Bro I'm in Australia too.

why start at 600cc

shouldn't it be 100cc-300cc for a beginner

haha yeah bro get a ninja 500 :,)

lol 1k for sub 0-60 in 6.
gsxr 600 for 3k and 0-60 in under 3.5

youtube.com/watch?v=W22nnZ1zEtk
>0-120mph in 10 seconds

Displacement alone isn't a good measure of whether or not the bike is good for a beginner. A 600cc inline four is very very different from a 600cc v-twin.

>yfw sport bike speedometers are complete memes and consistently off by 8%~ or so and are off even more when sprocketed

Very easy and cheap to fix bike speedometers.

>yfw thats not even a litre peter
Those bikes can go a lot faster than that to 200km/h and litre peters are even faster again.
youtube.com/watch?v=4OAXrE5uFqc

but entry level bikes with those displacements are usually light and easy to practice on

The CBR 600RR is the most comfortable sportbike and easy to ride, it's often used to learn how to ride on a track for beginners.
It's not super powerfull (around 120hp for the 2008+) and really easy to handle, if you're not dumb you wont die.

The 600 GSXR is quite similar, anything else require a little more experience.

but they're also boring once you get better, hence why you should just get an SV650 and call it a fucking day

What's the second to bottom? Gorgeous af.

Triumph street triple.

Triumph Street Triple.

Dunno why it's on the list, it's not a starter bike.

CBR 500R
Buy a used one and have fun on it for a few years.

Its not a super sport, you trying to say they compete with pic related?
because they don't.

Man i'd honestly say they're more dangerous than a supersport for a beginner.
So much power down low.

And they can be restricted to 35kw.
phillipmccallen.com/triumph/triumph-street-triple-restrictor-kit-35kw.html

It's not just sportbikes that can be bad for beginners man, think about it.

Would you want a new rider starting on a Z1000? KTM 1290 SDR? B-King? KX500?

Think about it.

sv650

You are right, a triumph street triple making 35kw is too much for a beginner, people shouldnt get a bike that is restricted so that all they have to do once gaining confidence on the bike is remove it rather than sell it and buy a bigger bike.

Where did I say that?

Sportbikes aren't the only genre of bikes that have models not suitable for new riders, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Also, for the record, your first bike isn't your last so buying a bike based on the belief it has to last you for the rest of eternity is stupid.

Almost anything can do 0-60 in sub 6. A damn $2500 SV650 can do it in 3.7.

wr 125 (0)

For the most part you are right with you but you can start out on an older supersport and be just fine, the whole "supersports will kill you" is a meme. If you are a stupid rider you will get killed regardless of what bike you are riding. Sure if you are tryna kill track times than a supersport is def not the way to go but I doubt that OP is gonna be hitting the track every weekend.

OP you can get an older supersport and be just fine, they dont generate any power until you hit 7k+ RPMs so as long as you dont ride like an idiot youll be OK. Keep in mind that there is a learning curve on riding a bike, dont be expecting to be flying down the twiesties like the riders you see on instagram. allow yourself time to learn, ride the bike carefully but ride it as much as you can. youll be a good rider in soon than you expect, also take the damn MSF course, pretty useful info specially if you have never ridden a bike before and no, dirt bikes dont count.

Do Americans not need a license to ride a motorcycle? I see a lot of people recommending the MSF course, like even that is optional. Licenses are not even discussed.

>the whole "supersports will kill you" is a meme
no

stop trying to kill him. he wont post here for us to laugh at when he does

You need an endorsement on your license but there's no tiers. And you can skip the course of you can pass the road test. Hence why our death rate is so high, an 18 year old can take the MSF and then hop on a turbo busa the next and it's perfectly legal. Many states don't even require helmets if you're above a certain age.

Don't listen to anyone in this thread, they're all pussies.
Get a ZX12R or gtfo

CBR250RR is one of if not the fastest learner bikes in Aus. I wouldn't recommend anything else at it's price range.

I've been riding a Ninja 250 all summer, and before that I rode dirtbikes since I was young. I'm going to be moving up to a 600 over the winter, and I've ridden a few owned by friends. It's reaffirmed that I want the upgrade, but I'm still very happy that I started on the 250 for the street. Modern supersports are incredibly sensitive to even the smallest modulations on the brakes or throttle. Something that wouldn't be an issue on a 250 will buck you over the handlebars or spin you in a loop on a supersport.

tl;dr
start on a 250, good resale value and you won't die.

You rode for years and were worried about a 600? wtf bro.
I hopped on a 400 for my riding class and instantly wanted more out of it. I'm limited to 400 or lower for a year, but I definitely want a 600 minimum when I go back to the states.

Kawasaki H2 is a good learners bike because it has a very comfy power band, and the two stroke means it's really easy to work on.

>tfw I wanted a Grow for first bike
>friend called me a faggot so I got an R3
>still called me a faggot but says it's a really nice looking bike

riding on the street with traffic is a lot different than riding a dirtbike on a track. Dirtbikes don't do 160+mph...
An r6 will do 60mph in 1st gear which is just short of the top speed on a yz125...the r6 still has 5 more gears. Any 600 supersport will go fast enough in second gear alone to cost you your license. I've ridden them, I'm not afraid of them by any stretch, but there's nothing wrong with starting on the smaller bikes. It's not just the power that's an issue for newer riders, it's the twin disc front brakes.

>hopped on a 400 for my riding class
>instantly wanted more out of it
I'm curious how large your chicken strips were...It appears that you're almost all the way on the left here

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was bashing smaller bikes, I was just surprised with years of riding experience that you went so small. I guess I like going fast in straight lines, and from riding before I know how to build up to where I want to be in a skill before I try to go balls to the wall on them.

I'd say halfway between confidence and experience on the curve. I don't know how large they were, don't really care. I wanted more out of the straight line acceleration. Sounded like I was talking down I guess, but I didn't mean for it to come across like that.

you're talking about being in class and wanting more, I just don't want you to kill yourself. Any squid can go in a straight line fast, it's dealing with obstacles/emergencies/turns that requires skill.

If I die, it wont be from doing squid shit.

You realise you were butting in on right?
did you even read that comment?

is the SV650 crew in here?
get an SV user, join us

I want to get a bike for the twisties as a beginner. I don't want to go fast I just want to carve corners and do sick leanz at legal speeds on a bike thats chuckable. I'm thinking of a ninja 250 or even yamaha r125, but would a 650 be suitable for that?
Europoor btw so I had to pass a real test.

Anything that's not a cruiser would be fine for that.

I agree with I wouldn't go smaller than a 250, and would really opt for a 300 or larger

>buying either of those bikes

Why no R3?

Yes, but that depend of the bike's age. Currently my 2006 ER6-F (Ninja 650 in burger land), is restricted at 24kw, because A2 bullshit.

Only bikes from 2013 can be restricted at 35kw.

125 is good for general fun. You're basically thrashing it to its limit just to keep up with general traffic, so it forces you to GIT GUD just to move along.

Get a dirt-cheap 2nd hand 125 jap bike (don't bother with a new Chinese bikes, for the same price the old jap bike will last longer and be more reliable), and ride the hell out of it. Feel out the limits of what a bike is capable of, and what approaching those limits feels like. THEN move up to a larger bike where the limits are a lot further away, and you'll be prepared for them when you work up to them again. Even starting with a 'gentle' SV650, you can very easily get yourself into fatal levels of trouble without even knowing you're doing it.

This, bugger bikes aren't just a bit faster, they're heavy. A little 125 is great for learning to squeeze everything out of a bike and really get back what you put in, especially on euro twisties. Go two stroke if you can.

>Only bikes from 2013 can be restricted at 35kw
Is this region specific? I've seen nothing that even implies this in UK law and I have an '89 nc30.

Yeah xD ebryones fault but my own. Take it from someone who rides, literally every single day, and I've now heard of 3 people in my town dead, every single one of them was riding like a moron, and it coupled itself with another bad driver. Life is simple 50:50, do your part and you can avoid most issues

>While a larger bike will have more HP and will accelerate faster, it will also more easily cover up any and all mistakes you make during driving (mistakes that can prove fatal).
Expect on the S1000RR where the computer makes you fast :)

You could start a total noob on that bike.

Every year I hear or read about some guy who buys a bike like that and then proceeds to paste himself at 200 km/h after riding something like 1000 km in total.
Electronics can't patch stupid.

wtf what market was that, I swear by the thumbnail it was a GS?
Anyways standard bikes are second best bikes the first are dual sports but they suck so much ass on the highway.

What's the max I should pay for my first bike (Used ninja 250)? And what year range? I know nothing

7 grotes

Can vouch for the gear. Road rash is horrible

Depends on where you live.

US$1.5k-$2k for an '88-'07, and US$2-3k for an '08-'12 model. Depends on your local market though.

Older ones make a bit more power unless you got the EFI newer ones (has a temperature gauge instead of a fuel gauge in the instrument cluster for reference). Newer ones are "more sportbike like" (in looks only) with 17" wheels (as opposed to the 17"/16" of the older one)

Ninja 300's are basically an '08-'12 250 with more power and a slightly wider rear wheel (130 vs 140 section) so you can get properly sticky tires for them (S20 EVO's spring to mind) if that's something you're interested in.

'09 CBR250R's are equally as pedestrian and are a good option with EFI and optional linked ABS but their engine is a single cylinder that makes a touch less power than the '08-'12 Ninjette.

They're alright bikes but they're not the only option as far as first bikes go. Anything up to 650cc and ~80hp that isn't a fully blown sportbike would be alright imo.