Calling all Veeky Forums wagecucks

Can anyone shed some light on the painting profession? Got a job offer yesterday as a paint prep, has anyone done this for a living? How much can one expect to earn after learning the trade?

You're gonna be able to tape a car off real good real quick pretty soon ayyyy ;)

It sounds like an entry level job. You won't be able to afford that GTR anytime soon.

as a prep, you have many......many years of sanding ahead. Cleaning, and generally being the bitch unless you have a cool boss/painter that will actually show you some shit.

If someone is directly taking you under their wing to teach you how to prep and paint, expect 3-5 years of being their bitch and doing what they say.

If you want to be a real good painter, use the rule of 10000, that's 10000 hours of actual gun time, and learning about colours/mixing/thinning/prep.

If you get really good at it, you can expect 3.5-5k a job, more if you do bodywork/show work

You need actual gun time, you can't learn to paint in a book or by listening to people.

sounds like a shit job.
become a mechanic instead. Or you know, and actual engineer

Some grads will offer to do that for free "for the experience"

Is this real

I thought the legal field was bad

That college really pays off

There's a reason most bodyguys are drunks or drug addicts. It's a shit job.

it IS that bad son

>8 years in a lab exp
>$9/hr
o i am laffin now my ex gunna be fucked after working her tits off in school to be #1 for that biochem degree and i work in a fuckin factory making $17.70/hr to stand around and talk shit

I hope they just forgot a 0... If not, I´d kill my self

Isn't biology a girly science tho?

fucking america man, I work as an electrician in Sweden and I make around $30/hr

I think we're all in agreement here

I doubt you make 30 AMERICAN dollars an hour?

Body work sucks, like the other guy said you are going to be a prepper indefinitely until one of the painters dies from exposure to isocyanates and maybe you get lucky and take his spot if you've been finding the time to get painting experience on your own

Surprised they pay at all, this is nothing out of the ordinary these days, extremely critical work is being done at large companies by interns every day

A journeyman union electrician in the US makes ~$45/hr, non union in a metro area far more, at least $90/hr, but you have to pay for your own van, storage, etc. of course

>extremely critical work is being done at large companies by interns every day
A couple years ago Audi offered me an internship in the diesel development department, more specifically exhaust gas aftertreatment for models intended for the American market, extensive programming skills were required.

Wew lad, thank god uni didn't let me accept it, would've looked horrible in a resume these days.

>I make around 30 Ugandan Shillings/hr
ftfy

that is for sure

Shit man, I making 15$/hr. right now browsing Veeky Forums

can you elaborate on how much it sucks

how much of that is rape tax tho

>Paint prep

You'll be paid min wage to sand cars (scotchbright, hand sander, air sander) and mask cars (tape, plastic, etc) after a couple months or a year they'll start letting you paint cars and at this point you will be getting paid slightly above might wage.

There you go I just told you your future.

>That college really pays off

Some people NEED college not just for knowledge, but for the desperately needed maturity and thougtfulness level they never got taught by their parents. Or to get rid of bad habits from running with a bad high school crowd that never improved its maturity level or sense of responsibility.

top painter in my shop makes 105,000

105,000 pennies a year? sounds about right

The prep work is the shit part. Spraying is where the money and the fun is.

>extensive programming skills were required.

When {car.is.on.EPA.dynomometer} then {
use Volkswagon_Logic (a[x],b[y],c[z]) }
else
use Normal_Logic (a[x],b[y],c[z])
}

This, but if you can/want to stick it out it pays good. But expect to be treated like shit for a while

You will make a living wage and have a career that also has job benefits. Furthermore, you will get a list of useful contacts. You will also have Veeky Forums type skills that let you work on cars without worry that someone is going to screw you over. You will know. If you are good, people will want to add you to their contact lists too. Many opportunities in the world revolve upon people on contact lists being given the first chance at something.

you know your job is shit when you make 75k a year and this job is still tempting

I used to live with 2 grad students working in a Bio lab, one of them makes 50k a year while earning his PHD, why would anyone ever take this job?

Nah it was optimistic, I checked the exchange rate and it was slightly over $25.

A good painter can make serious money. They are less common than auto mechanics because it actually takes some hand-eye coordination to paint well.

Really has it down for learning most trades, including the time. He knows.

Great potential for own business if serious.

Learn all about and fucking wear respiratory protection.

>fucking america man, I work as an electrician in Sweden and I make around $30/hr

Lots of US electricians make more than that in burgerbucks depending on what they do. All your gear fits in a truck and most work is easy money.

You can also paint trucks, and owner-operators love sexy paint jobs. Ask Truckerfag about that.

A good painter won't be unemployed.

Yeah but in the us the electricians has to provide everything for themselves. My employer provides me with: Tools, clothes, new car every 3 years and so on. I have 5 weeks of paid vacation, unlimited sick days and so on.

No, they don't, if you are union or work for a larger company they provide all those things, but obviously you don't make as much money as you would on your own, still well over 30/hr though.

That vacation time is magnificent as are the sick days.

No US job has a package like that except military, and that's one week less/year. Retirement at 20 years is nice though (military,not electrician though union sparkies may have retirement plans).

I can agree with this.

Some people need the experience of shit not being handed to them and everything being expensive

I make more than that as a second year undergrad research lel

Don't go work at a shop without any experience. You will be treated like a piece of shit and paid minimum wage.

Go to a school instead and learn to paint there.
There is always a shortage of certified and skilled painters.
There is no shortage of Joses that learnt to paint cars in their front yard.

i make more than that delivering pizzas.

You know you're shit when you major in Bio but aren't heading into any bio-enginering field, medical field, or even being a goddamn professor about the subject.

Also, chemistry, you have to be a retard to not land a 6 figure job with a chem degree.

it's a shit job.

just do construction. you'll make way more and the labor will be similar.

I got paid more as a
>dishwasher
>security guard
>math tutor

The best thing about college is networking.

>I have 5 weeks of paid vacation, unlimited sick days and so on.

inb4 butthurt muricans

also add healthcare

I get paid $10 an hour to change oil and working to $10.50 and I'm working towards my bachelor's lmao who the fuck would take this

>I literally make more than that bagging groceries