Why did BMW ruin their own brand?

Why did BMW ruin their own brand?

>destory a perennial car of the year in the 3 series
>dilute the value of the M series with M sport, M Performance, M435xi, etc
>BUT WE NOW HAVE A FWD BMW GUYS

Other urls found in this thread:

motorsportretro.com/2013/10/pure-intentions-pure-handling-pure-sound-the-legendary-e30-m3/
youtube.com/watch?v=_KSw1Nsgxss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Trying to compete with Mercedes/Lexus in building isolated luxury cars instead of sports cars (IE THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE)
>Listening to their beancounters who insist on making everything a ///M to gyp rich chinese kids in Vancouver
>Actually just the Chinese in general, if that market didn't exist I think cars as a whole would improve

Chris Bangle ruined it.

M badges on non-m bmw have been a thing since forever

fuck you

Trying to pander to the nuevo riche instead of making good cars is what ruined it. There was a lot of money to be made, but there were costs.

Fortunately we all get to stand back watch BMW absolutely shred their integrity. BMW on the other hand has to live it. They have to wake up every day, feel that emptiness in their crotch and realize that sex change was a mistake.

Whats a good price for a beater 325 E30 vert?
There's one on the local lot from auction

>likes Chris's silly melted cars
This is what is wrong with kids these days.

The guy took a brand with styling well liked for being sophisticated yet restrained to a degree and turned it into a parody of angular cars of the period.

create your own thread, faglord

>Trying to pander to the nuevo riche instead of making good cars is what ruined it.

BMW was always nouveau riche. The E30 was THE perennial yuppie car throughout its lifespan and the brand was seen as a youthful and fun alternative to the old guard of Cadillacs and Lincolns. The only difference is that their cars didn't have nearly as much shit to fail on them back then.

>create your own thread, faglord
I have one. it's the /hg/.
Now I'm hijacking yours.

I'm pretty sure it's a 90-92 since no metal bumpers, which afaik should mean it's a 325. Even if it's not, I just want to resell it.

M Technic was just BMW Motorsport parts made to fit on BMWs. Wasn't really about the branding as much as the looks.

But nowadays, it doesn't make much sense they they come out of the factory as such as separate models.

They ruined M not by all of the M parts, that's old as fuck, but they ruined it by making the new M4 so shit.
>hyper expensive options
>bland engine
>shit exhaust note
>numb as fuck steering
>as long as an E39
And yes, I have driven one.
They canceled FWD, m8.

>giant sticker and m badge
>guise it's not about the branding

>canceled FWD
they didn't, just restricted it to china only
so technically yes, they do produce fwd

>They canceled FWD, m8
all of the next 1-series and it's derivatives will be fwd

>styling well liked for being sophisticated yet restrained

You really preferred BMW's when they were S,M,L?

BMW sold out in the 90's when M stopped being it's own division, I don't fault them for their new cars being shit since all new cars are pretty shit aside from a few that cater to people who actually like driving ie miata and *rech* the toyobaru. M2/M4 is just new coke.

If they resurrected the 2002ti namesake to compete with miata/toyobaru they'd be on to something.

Not him but if you don't you're a faggot.

Since when was "M" more or less it's own division?

I don't know about others, but on e36 the only branding on M Technic parts is on the side moulding where there is a BMW Motorsport logo where the M3 logo is normally. The bumpers, skirts, mirrors etc have none.

Unless you count door sills and shift knob and cluster, which are asinine to swap just for a logo, there isn't much branding.

>Since when was BMW Motorsports Division it's own division?

t. chris bangle

>tfw all current M cars sound like shit now
Downsizing and turbocharging was a mistake.

>turbos being a mistake ever
Dont be a gmcuck

What about low end torque?
Besides turbocharging was an inevitable step.

>hurr FWD
>muh pure driving feels on a fucking people carrier
kys

>people carrier
BMW is supposed to produce "the ultimate driving maching" not people carriers. Also the 1 series will become FWD.

no one cares about memes by people that can't even afford a used one

that was a thing since forever but sure a teen wouldnt remember

and their FWD cars are the best handling in their class

even ruined, BMW and Porsche are still the most respectable German brands out there.
Mercedes for example has been making cheap FWD shitboxes for decades now but it's still the badgewhore special brand

Not BMWs fault, that's shitty CAFE standards with new shitty safety regulations

It's hard to make something fun when you have to have a tiny engine dragging around a pile of airbags and hippy pleasers.

What is BMWs fault is that their most recent CEO "wishes he could shut down M division tomorrow" because he's such an environmentalist fruitloop.

Next gen 1 series will be FWD

honestly bmw was never good

no one has ever liked them

they were always held to a low regard as a car that only yuppies drove and never had the performance to keep up with the rest of the competition

ever since the e30, which had to compete with the 190E, they have always been in someone's shadow

but honestly they're one of the few companies that races the cars/engines that they sell

this, in the 90s it all went wrong. afaik they didn't even offer a limited-slip differential as an extra on non-M cars anymore with the E39 and E46.

Bangle at least tried to take risks, something BMW's current designers certainly don't. They've gotten more boring than fucking Audi.

Yet what was on them, did fail a lot. Camshafts on the M40 block wearing out after 180K (never solved), water pumps, etc.

I thought the LSD was still on the E46 option list. The E36 and E38 were IMO a mistake, design-wise. BMW went wrong after the Bangle fiasco.

Killing the N/A I6 was a grave mistake, IMO.

the E30 is the most successful racing car of all time
The M3 and M5 still are and have always been class defining cars
They also make the best engines in class
you're clueless

oh and BMW has been the top selling luxury brand in America for 10 consecutive years

Bugatti Type 35?

Hello?

not as many wins as the E30.
motorsportretro.com/2013/10/pure-intentions-pure-handling-pure-sound-the-legendary-e30-m3/

i dont even like BMW very much but you are wrong.

Its always going to be the E30, and then the 190E, there is a reason those things are crazy popular as race cars even today. cant remember when i saw a 190E on a race track last time.

i mean new BMWs are nowhere near what they were in the old days. then agian, the two classes that matters, the 3 and the 5, and especially the M versions of them are still some of the best in class. problem is they are some of the best, and not THE best

It's called market tendencies.
Or you'd rather see BMW die out?

>>Also the 1 series will become FWD.
>implying a FWD car can't be a "driver's car"
The best hot hatches in the market would like a word with you.

>never had the performance to keep up with the rest of the competition

You're a fucking idiot.

>killing the i6 was a grave mistake

Yet another sacrifice on the altar of packaging and CAFE standards.

>e30 is most successful rave car of all time
Lol I always see people say this but never offer any evidence to back up their conjecture

fuck off chris

Because they just can't compete with mercedes.

Lol at the e60 without the sunroof

>>Chinese

GM killed Pontiac and saved Buick because tasteless mainland chinks buy Buicks, so we can't have any more fun cars just overpriced chebbies.

BMW is not ruined. It's probably not the best it's ever been, either.

It's the same as always. They change with the times and set some trends along the way, so it always seems like they're screwing things up

>destory a perennial car of the year in the 3 series
how

It's been that way ever since M has been a thing. M sport packages on most cars, M performance packages, and do you not know of the M635 from the 1980s?

Not in the US so it doesn't matter

I think you have X1 which is a FWD platform even though they sell it in the USA as Xdrive only. It still has transversly mounted engine and is probably FWD biased. So this is reality. I think BMW is trying to do the same as Mercedes - have some entry models (below the 3 series) which are cheaper and on a FWD platform, mainly marketed as "lifestyle" cars - like the CLA. It's just what the market demands, unfortunately.

>that feel when no 8-series waifu to push to the limit and vibrate to new levels of aesthetic existence
End me.

i can post tons of evidence but you can use google yourself.
this link is evidence too btw

>hot hatches
Kill yourself.

t. Miata driver

The Bugatti Type 35 has over 2000 wins

what killed bmw was that now anybody has a base model. I remembered when I was a kid, the few times I saw any kind of BMW, it was a head turner. you knew the guy driving it was serious business. Now I usually only see blacks or single mothers with narcissism driving leased BMWs thinking they are hot shit in the hood.

youtube.com/watch?v=_KSw1Nsgxss
Atleast there isn't water in beamer door

Bango pls go

At least their new cars looks better than the ones Chris designed.