Would videogame driving peripherals and games help me learn to drive stick?

Would videogame driving peripherals and games help me learn to drive stick?

I am 26 years old and don't know how but I have been getting into Veeky Forums that I want to learn.

Im embarrassed to take lessons

Your pic will kind of help. I used that myself for a little bit. The best way is to buy a cheap manual car and drive it around. I learned just over a year ago myself at 26.

In all honesty the majority of stick is the feel of the entire car, like feeling the clutch bite, feeling the car begin to move, and feeling how the car reacts to your rev matching. Unfortunately most of that you really can't replicate with peripherals, even with really good force feedback.

Like the other guy said, buying a cheap manual car would be the way to go. It's a shitty solution, but just going out and doing it is the best way.

>The best way is to buy a cheap manual car and drive it around.

This.

The G27 is a rad wheel, but no peripheral will teach you the finer points of proper clutch usage, how to not stall etc let alone about how to use the handbrake in conjunction with everything needed for day to day driving.

Don't you have a friend that can teach you? I'm sure modern simulators are great and all but honestly nothing simulated can compare to the real thing.

My advice is to just suck it up and ask a friend or family member to teach you. You've got to know at least one person who knows and can teach you. Don't pay for lessons.

I don't have friends

You can't be serious.

Honestly, not really.

Learning to drive stick is one of those "you need to FEEL it" type situations, and as far as I know the aren't any sim setups that emulate the feel of clutch biting.

Other than getting lessons I'd suggest buying the cheapest manual car you can find and give yourself a crash course (after getting the theory down from YouTube, of course) in an empty parking lot somewhere.

The good thing is that it's not actually that hard, it just requires practice and a touch of patience to begin with. Once you're moving you'll be fine.

Testing the waters, aka being sane, aka being a fucking wuss: $200 shitbox that needs a new everything but ran when parked off CL + chink phone with a data connection good enough for youtube
I KNOW WHAT I WANT, AND I ALWAYS GET WHAT I WANT: Buy a nice manual car and stall and jerk your way through traffic until you get it (or die) (you deserved it for being WEAK)

I don't have any friends and not alot of money to throw around. My g27 did indeed help me quite alot with building confidence in driving a manual however like the others have said the intricacies are not there.
Don't kid yourself.

Well in that case listen to this user
He's giving you solid advice here. If you seriously don't have friends ask a cousin or an uncle. You'd be surprised how many people are open to speaking and hanging out with you just for being from the same blood. You already said yourself you don't have much money so I'm going to say it again. DON'T PAY FOR LESSONS.

Best of luck.

nah, youtube pretty much taught me to drive stick

I have a G27 and a manual car, for daily driving you have to learn a clutch's bite point and practice with your car to figure out how fast your revs drop and how to smoothly engage the clutch. A G27 has no feedback on the clutch, no game I've tried has had a clear bite point either, in fact most titles have you rev to red-line then dump the clutch which is not proper on a real car you plan to reliably commute in

I still recommend the G27 for fun, because driving real cars at the limit is expensive and the force feed back is fantastic in some titles

>use the handbrake in conjunction with everything needed for day to day driving
The hand brake is not required for day to day driving. If you car has such a week engine that it cannot go up a hill without the handbrake get a different car.

No, I tried it

How do you make friends as an adult.

seems like everyone has their own friendship groups solidified.

I am also ashamed for people to find out I don't have friends so I don't get too close to them or everything is going great but when they find out the truth of me not having any friends it gives them Red flags that makes them feel uncomfortable about me all of a sudden. or worse pity me and pity invite me to things.

it's a catch-22.

i think you're in the wrong thread

Its not going to be worth the money if that is what you are buying the wheel for. A game will just give you a basic concept of driving.

I own a g25 and I've learned to heel toe, left foot brake, and handbrake turn in my fwd Honda. The Logitech wheel does not translate 100% because the pedals are so close and there is no weight transfer throwing you around, but it does help you learn the basic movements. Learning to drive stick though has to be done in a real car and that's all about not stalling while going into first. Just let off the clutch super slow and give it gas until you get it down

Fuck me. Just talk to cunts. People don't bite. Say hello, and ask people about shit they are interested in. Then they ask you about shit, and you laugh about shit, and that is friend ship. With a mild amount of brain altering substances thrown in.

>The hand brake is not required for day to day driving.

Yes it fucking is.

This fag is too slow to not roll back lmao

Anyway, clutch pedal on the wheel uses digital input, either 100% or 0%. You will never learn dick shift this way

Breh Im 26 too. Im car guy since before this life. Still have to pass driving test. Its beyond shame. I just had to focus on Uni and I didnt need a car.
GOD HELP US ALL.

Why the fuck?

>someone on Veeky Forums says they have no friends
>not believing them

Veeky Forums seems to be one of the boards that has more normal people on just like Veeky Forums at times where they think its all joke.

You mean for parking? If it's not that it just means you can't drive manual.

Not true, you can slip the clutch on GT6.

What the fuck is with people needing a hand brake to drive,its for parking only,pussy.

It's really handy for driving off a traffic light at a steep hill for example.
You won't roll back an inch, you don't need to dance around on the pedals and you don't have to rev the engine and let the clutch slip a lot, either.

that doesn't seem to work anymore when you're in your twenties. when you talk to someone at work, its assumed they have to talk to you as a "co-worker thing" and do it since its part of the job and nothing else. they don't actually give a shit and would basically respect you less if you even try to make friends with them at work.

This feels like immense bullshit, but I admit it might depend on your location. Where do you live? Big city too?

Could be handy but it is absolutely overkill and gives you good except for some comfort.

nothing good*

average city in the NJ/NYC area.

Wew I guess that's it then. Cold people.

Here in Europe even in Sweden you make friends with anyone if you are not a moron.

As others have said op youre better off buying a $500 honda civic/vw rabbit to practice with

My car hasn't had a functioning handbrake for a while, so I guess you don't need it particularly. I really with it did though because it would be helpful

Americunt spottet

retard spottet

I see people ask this constantly, and the answer will always be no. For the same cost as a good racing wheel, you can probably buy a beat up and barely running car with a 5-speed or something. Just ruin the clutch and transmission mounts in that and scrap it once your satisfied.

Even then, just get a rental.

assetto corsa is unforgiving enough to teach you some of the timing of using a clutch.

But nothing is a substitute for the real thing obviously.

i thought if you miss a shift in AC and the shifter is in a different gear you can just press the clutch in and it will change the gear for you
>simulation value

>tfw every car's tranny is different
>get in manual car with friends and it takes me a couple shifts to get the feel for it
>Friends are making fun of me "I thought you knew how to drive stick?"

You have shit friends, but honestly, it's not that hard.

For me the only thing the g27 did for me was make the shifting pattern muscle memory so that was no problem at all and having more practice with easing off the clutch and on the gas. But i still stalled the shit out of my car when i first bought it, was very discouraged and felt really unsafe driving the car.

The biggest thing i can recommend is finding the biting point of your clutch and getting as much of a feel for it as you can. Sit in your car with it in neutral or off. Then just keep pressing the clutch down until you feel when it pushes back on you. Then turn it on and do the same thing, feel when the car starts to creep a little bit then give it a very slight amount of gas and slowly let the clutch out.

A month and a half later of driving the car and i feel comfortable as hell driving it and can rev match.

tldr; No using a g27 won't give you the ability to jump in a manual car and drive it. But it will give you advantages like memorization of the shift pattern and pedals.

This is simply not true. Some people are dicks and you won't like them, and they won't like you. Just try small talking people first.

Not really, because no feedback. Get someone to teach you the basics of moving off, then buy a shitheap manual car for less than you'd pay for that wheel.
Or just man up and accept your ignorance, and hire a professional instructor to teach you.

>not wanting to roll backward slightly on hill starts, signifying to the pleb automatic drivers around you that you're not using their lazy tier transmission

I learned on a motorcycle. Then a year later got a car and had little to no problems

Where you at? I'll teach you. Only takes 10min then you'll be on the highway with ease.

The shifting pattern is the easy bit, the challenge is synchronizing everything together and learning the clutch bite point so that the shifts are smooth.