Riding the brakes down a big hill

>riding the brakes down a big hill
>not just selecting a lower gear

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fNDap8YCc7A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brake pads are expendable, engines and gear boxes are not.

>doing 3000 rpm down an incline is going to grenade my engine and gearbox
ok

THANK YOU! I thought I was going nuts trying to explain this to people (non car guy friends who think they know it all).
"you're supposed to engine brake, it's better for the car, its the point of manual, but it's cool ect ect)

obviously in moderation it's fine eg. downshifting before a corner or sometimes I lightly engine brake approaching lights but the majority of my braking comes later on whilst using the actual brakes.

You are retarded, how do Americans not have driving tests for manual cars?

>The compression stroke will destroy the engine
>stress in the other direction will destroy gears and shafts

Not buying it. Everything encounters greater forces under acceleration.

m8 most of our cars are autos or manumatic bullshit with paddle shifters

i learned on a manual first but im 33

imaginr the younger kids now

manuals are the exception not the norm

Not as retarded as that guy, but I'd kill myself and give up on cars forever if I had to put up with the autismal shit that ends up on tests for stick AND another fucking bureaucratic fee+waiting period+scheduled appointment with an unscheduled end time clusterfuck.

>NO NO NO COASTING THAT'S UNSAFE 3-2-1 DOWNSHIFT EVERY TIME
>NO SHIFTING ON RAILROAD TRACKS
>YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE CLUTCH IN AT STOPLIGHTS NO NEUTRAL EVER
>WHY ARE YOU STARTING ON A HILL WITHOUT THE HANDBRAKE? FAIL.
>I FELT THE CAR LURCH BACK A LITTLE FAIL SHOULDA USED THE HANDBRAKE FUCKER

Brake fade is a problem

Engines dying from the fucking compression stroke providing enough resistance to slow the shafts is not

>this

enjoy dying when you ride your brakes down a mountain pass like a dipshit

Is this thread abut cars or semi trailers?

>following an automatic
>down a hill
>brakes on all the way
>coming up to a corner
>brakes on
>me
>downshift and engine break

I feel sorry for autocucks

>not going wot to overtake then drifting around the corner
Wuss

Sorry user, i drive a gutless diesel. I have to plan my overtakes very carefully

I need more pics of girl in OP.

Or girls that look like her, that loli body and wide hips... mm.

>following an automatic
>up a hill
>they have the brakes on all the way

>Brake pads are expendable, engines and gear boxes are not.

Doesn't engine braking also cause increased oil consumption? The rings were meant to seat and make a good pressure and oil seal from the huge compressive force of the explosion.

Yeh maybe a few cc between oil changes.
Check your oil at least twice between oil changes... you should have much problem with oil consumption.

it wont kill your engine and gear box more than regular positive acceleration.

The first two and last are right. You're a cunt.

I was going to say what you said but he's not saying that.
He's saying many driving instructor insist on that

At least 3/4 of you are automotively challenged. Yfw big rigs carry tons and tons of goods, use compression braking regularly (17:1 compression ratio plus), drive for multiple hundreds of thousands of miles in all climates. Engine braking will not hurt anything, so long as you aren't retarded and cause mechanical over-rev by downshifting too early. Really though, most of you dont seem to belong in this forum.

THICCK

My gears don't hold me back that damn well.
10:1 compression w/ synchromesh slushbox

Fuck that, I never downshift into a stop and only use the hand break for parking.

Use brakes on a hill if:
>downshifting would put you at like 5000 rpms
>you need to slow down faster than engine braking will let you
>you suck at rev matching
>you're towing in a vehicle that shouldn't be
Pickups built for towing, high revving cars and diesels can all handle downshifts

Engine braking puts no more stress in your engine than accelerating does, if you think flooring your gas until 6000 rpm is safter than going down a hill at a low gear at 4000 rpm you're dumb.

>engine braking at 5k
>le rev match meme

>rev matching meme

>am literally a trucker
>spend all day driving mountain roads in northern British Columbia engine braking

Engine braking isn't a meme

>inb4 tractor trailers can engine brake because they are built to

>yes but your vw golf isn't carrying 10 tons

Not saying engine breaking is bad, I do it all the time in my car.

But 5000rpm? No thanks Jeff, use the next gear up. Maybe that's why most of these spastics think they need to rev-match all the time instead of changing gear like a normal person.

Thats the average build of a hipster chick who hasnt worked out a day in their life. Hit up your local wine bar in the weekends.

> 1.6L engine
> Designed for economy rather than use as a brake
> Cruise down a long, steep hill in a lower gear
> Still have to brake every so often to control the speed

Otherwise, gearboxes are designed to be used as brakes.

5k is even high m8, do you drive a diesel or something?

And yet, those are all 100% right. This is yet more evidence that, like the UK, if you pass your test on an automatic gearbox you get an AUTOMATIC ONLY license, and it's illegal to drive a manual on that.

>gearboxs are designed to be used as brakes
Uhhh where do you people get this shit?

shift to neutral
foot off the brake
let the good times roll

How you revmatch if you don't have tach?

Brake fade, fucked rotors, boiling your fluid

>I run DOT 5.1 on the touge brah

its a kind of thinking that is 100 years in the past
back when brakes sucked and were far from balanced. it was much safer to let the differential do all the work

never mind that most gears are in reduction
and actually have a mechanical advantage over the crank shaft

I may as well add some extra old car info
>brake fade
open the doors
>engine over heating
turn on the heater
>that's not an e brake
it's a parking brake

>manual license
Don't make me fucking laugh

>I would rather pay for a new clutch than new break pads

OP said a large hill, not a mountainside.

Does she get naked?

>this whole fucking thread
>implying i'm not just speeding downhill, uphill, and literally everywhere else

engine braking is a meme, just use the fucking brakes

>go down hill in lower gear
>shift higher and coast
do you even economy?

Kek to get a license here just show up to the class

This.

What?

One of the many licenses you need in the UK.

Tv License
Driving license (manual or Automatic only)
Kettle license
Knife license

Always best to be tested on things and to show you're allowed to own/use said thing.

That's plebbin' bud!

Tfw the only thing taking a beating during engine braking is the air

>and how about that consistently diminishing standard of living?

Jesus, britbongs actually TEST for that shit? the poor bastards.

I tested and passed in a manual, but none of that shit ever came up. You just can't stall during the test (automatic fail).

Engine braking makes perfect sense to hold speed on a descent, but there is no fucking reason to beat on your synchros and clutch shifting down through the gears just to stop at a red light. Fucking spergs. (inb4 "I revmatch so there's absolutely no wear on anything whatsoever HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE THAT MY MANUAL DRIVING IS ANYTHING LESS THAN PERFECT REEEEEE")

I was also always taught that using the handbrake to start up a hill was a beginners' crutch and not something you should make a habit of if you can start normally.

Kettle license? Nigga do you actually need a license for pots and pans?

You definitely need a license to use a Kettle. Mostly required during the Winter seasons since you're more liable to make a cuppa to warm yourself up.

>⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wtf

Recall that the bongs hail from a society in which the common people were subjects of the monarchy- basically human livestock upon which the ruling class could levy a tax for any-fucking-thing.

The brits would probably pay a fart tax if it was something their government overlords could monitor. It's hard to blame them though, considering that subjugation was bred into the poor bastards for hundreds of years.

>Not puting it in neutral and riding till you start to slow down.

That is quite sad.. The oppression is ingrained into your dna.. You rationalize it so well

sooooooooo engine breaking is no problem as long as you're not a rolling retard?

Veeky Forums knows jack shit about cars.

I want to fug that THICC girl and have her give me the SUCC

god that shit triggers me on the way to yosemite

nothing wrong with 10(.1):1
>integragsr.jpeg

>syncromesh slushbox
wat?

ITT: poorfags who don't have Hill Descent Control

nice shitpost

poorfag detected

nice shitpost

Bongs are good goyim.

>uphill braking
I cannot even begin to comprehend, HOWEVER

>downhill behind some other car
>said car doing under speed limit
>keeping in gear brakes the car too much
>neutral speeds the car up too much so you have to brake
>end up being in gear and having to be on the gas downhill

the pain, oh the pain

>what are higher gears

At the time I had a shopping cart that would do 3k rpm at 100kph at 5th. Now I drive a longer gear car so the pain is gone, but the scars are still there.

>not recharging the battery while going downhill
>not driving a hybrid
it's like you like to waste you're shekels on the petrojew

If I downshift into first in my car, I need to be

Prius fag detected, you know that rolling pile of shut is doing more harm to the environment in the long run than a million mile big rig, right? Seriously, what do you think happens to that enormous battery pack when the car is done, what kind of pollution do you think was required to manufacture just one?

>only affects semi trailers
Good luck ridding them brakes down a mountain faggot. I look forward to seeing your remains in a run off section.

>prius
try again faget

.......Try a different gear???

>stalled on my parallel park
>mfw still passed

That's kinda my thought about the handbrake-on-hill thing. Sure, you may have to give it a bit more juice just to be safe and prevent from too much rollback, but I feel like any competent driver should be able to do it without handbrake.

Unless hybrid Porsche, you are just projecting, Tesla blows til they prove themselves in anything more than a 0-whatever mph drag. It's an electric motor, so what, instant horsepower doesn't mean much if it can't turn.

A competent driver learns this skill quick, san fran is one of the only places where e-brake may actually be needed, perilously steep hills in some spot and californians are typically complacent assholes that will park right on your bumper at a stop. Bonus tho, if the bumpers get used, it can count as being rear ended because the driver behind was following dangerously close.

You forgot Fridge tax.

Something wrong user?

try getting down a mountain without engine breaking; you're ruin your breaks in less than an hour

New emojis that Veeky Forums didn't filter yet⭐

i hear you; on my 1998 rav4, going down pike's peak, gear 2 is too low and gear 3 is too high. i end up alternating between them

Honda insight

engine breaking doesn't wear the engine or the transmission more than driving normally

>feeding the troll

meanwhile in america
>dog licence

>rebel because MUH TAXES
>get taxed harder than before

????????????

lol

Either. Also jake brakes work in a similar, but different manner.

what if the parking brake is the kind that's on the floor and you use your foot to activate and have to reach down near the pedals to disengage?

Hand brake using loser faggots-0
Real men-1

>still riding the brakes
Heh, yeah, right. Poorfags, huh?

>There are people so poor on Veeky Forums right now they have to drive shifter cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=fNDap8YCc7A

Exactly. It's a huge waste of gas as well

Mad skillz

Depends on vehicle/gearbox

Drove a 74 international for a while, you basically just floored it when it felt like the rpms where too high and it would go into next gear easily. Its different from car to car

>poor
>used manuals generally sell a bit higher than comparative automatics thanks to manual reliability meme

Unless you're in yurop.