Downpipe

Can we talk about header and downpipe upgrades? Are they placebo or the real deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0106-manifolds-vs-headers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do you expect from this thread?

To answer your question yes

Sure if you consider paying $300 for a 3 to 5 hp increase is a good deal.

If your header currently flows like shit it will help. If your stock header was designed to flow well from the factory then you might not notice a difference

On a naturally aspirated engine that's all you'll see, on a turbo it'll really wake me up inside

i only bought one because look what my car had

to this
$120 header

Do you think the 1NZ-FE will benefit with such an upgrade?

Wouldn't waste time with those desu. Muffler is the more critical part to upgrade.

>3-5hp

>implying a built V8 doesn't require headers

it doesn't. a good manifold is fine. pic related

Maybe on a i4. Removing airflow restrictions on a v8 can actually add retarded power. Just look at the Windsor 302.

If its a non preformance car yes you will get an easy 8-12HP increase.

the 302's restriction was the exhaust ports
i would not waste one penny on a stock 302. its all garbage.
i cracked the block on mine with a carb.
just get a 351 first then mod that. 302 are 100% all trash. crab block, heads, intake, cast crank, shit theres maybe the distributor to salvage thats it. i had a mustang and cant believe people bother with a 302

a good manifold is fine, but if you car does not have a good manifold.. well then headers will do a little something for N/A. For a turbo, most often a larger downpipe is only necessary after you start pushing more air through the engine.

just about everything these days have a good enough factory manifold.

Yes they are worth

My original downpipe had the cat right after the turbo restricting flow
Supposedly with a 3 inch catless downpipe and a ecu reflash you gain an extra 20+ hp

Header is pretty much the only part of the exhaust you can actually get meaningful increases in power from. Catbacks and shit just make your car louder and sound like ass.

some people drive some pretty old shitboxes.

>idiot americans pretending there's a difference between headers and manifolds

>b-but my Golf feels faster
>I-i also got a K&N filter panel
>every second teenager in Germany

Went headers to 2.75 inch hpipe exhaust
Borla rez + cat delete
On a 2010 Challenger RT

Results were +45hp at the wheels

How in the fuck did you crack the block?

302s are notoriously weak blocks, especially after 30 years of use

Didn't know that. I always heard the 351 is garbage though. I have no first hand experience with either.

most definitely. not only do they look and sound more sensual, they also give u a "substantial" increase in da horse powers

>Results were +45hp at the wheels
and you know this how

not him but, a dyno?

so he did a pull stock, swapped the exhaust the same day, then did a pull again and came out with exactly 45whp

>nope

They never used those in production though. There were only about 10 sets ever cast.
A pair went for about $7500 on ebay a few years ago.
This is the more common max wedge manifold which is still very a good, but even a cheap set of long tubes would destroy them hp wise.

>but even a cheap set of long tubes would destroy them hp wise.
Why so? They look like they flow fine.

they do flow well, but headers flow better. The more hp an engine makes, the more air passes through it.
On a stock low compression small block, headers might add 10-15hp because the engine doesn't really need the added exhaust flow. But if you put manifolds back on a 600hp big block you'd probably choke by 75hp or more.

Why do Americans love down pipes so much? Do they also love upgrading le up pipe? Lmao.

Nah bro, there's no difference. It's just a placebo. =)

what are you basing this on? i dont see how they could flow any better.

no the 351 was stronger

>351w
>garbage

user pls lurk more

whats wrong with a stock one like this?

do your own research

hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0106-manifolds-vs-headers/

Mmmm, tri-y, yummy.

All of thee are assuming a well-built and designed aftermarket replacement.
>Header
If factory unit is improperly designed on n/a engine, great gains can be had.
If factory unit is jmproperly designed on boosted engine, medium gains.
If properly designed, very little gains can be had, unless engine is heavily tuned, and factory header is restriction point.
>Downpipe
If improperly designed from factory, expect medium gains. If improperly designed on a turbo engine, expect good gains. If properly designed, expect none. Swapping downpipe and muffler will get you 90% of the sound you're looking for.

There isn't a difference, but what's referred to as a manifold is usually cast, and what's referred to as a header is usually welded. They are the same thing though, just like extractors.

>Implying you can't do an exhaust swap in less than a day
And even if you can't you just correct for air density. Standard SAE protocol.

Does your top end cycle too much air too quickly for your stock manifold? If not, then you're not gonna see any improvements. This is especially true if the header you get is of poor quality, poor fitment, and poor flow design.

There's always the alternative of porting and ceramic coating a stock header, too.

>remove airflow restrictions
>the 302's restriction was the exhaust ports
Crazy how shitty exhaust ports restrict air flow

i sell manifolds and headers for a living.

manifolds are cast, headers are welded steel. thats the only difference, they do the exact same thing. i dont see how anything could flow better than the manifold you posted.

>implying he did that
>implying he wouldnt have posted an exact number if he did

he was shitposting. the claimed 45 to the wheels gain was based on nothing.

Where? At a speed shop? You don't know your products very well. Read on how headers work, equal length tubes, scavenging, etc

That manifold is cast, so the internal passages arn't as big as they look. But yes, they are about as good as manifolds got.
That pic is from a dyno test.
That engine made 429hp with the manifolds, and 446hp with 1 7/8 headers. Which shows you how good they are, but headers are still better for making power.

Header is a life, your auto manufacturer knows what's best for your engine hence the precise calculations for your manifold. Don't pretend that you're smarter than them.

This. I've heard things like XJ's can get fucking 15-20% increases just by swapping out the whole exhaust system because it's so fucking terrible.

I actually did a research project on this for school. Changing some shitty cast log manifold for a quality set of headers can make a serious difference, even on a little 1.3l 4-banger. Went from 63kW on a cold day to 69kW on a sunny day.