I'm looking to get a mr2 with about 5 grand
this will be my first fun car and first car as an enthusiast

What kind of mods should I add to it?
red flags?
is the AW11 turbo nessecary?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5IbRhh7TM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

expect the car to rev to the moon once you get to highway speeds like all 80's 4 banger cars.
they all did that.

pic related. get a good stereo so you dont have to hear it scream all the time

what problems have you experienced with it if any

It rusts like a motherfucker

Cornering takes getting used to, it follows a strict reasonable entry speed>fast out of the corner regimen. Taking your foot off the gas mid corner is a good way to spin, but you also have great rear tire traction when driving properly and it feels like a go kart.

>Cornering takes getting used to, it follows a strict reasonab

I was previously dailying a Lexus ES300 2001

compared to that,how will it be transitioning

It has a 45/55 weight distribution, with most of the mass behind you, which makes for a lot different cornering physics

Other user here, I was just looking at one that some guy is selling for 1000. He claims there's an engine in it, an unfinished 20v 4AGE silvertop swap with megasquirt 1.0.

Dunno what that means cause km noob as fuck, should I go got it and figure out how to make it go myself, or leave it for someone else and find an easier project?

Looks like super comfy 80s cruising. Also, what can I do about rust?

ask him how long ago the engine was swapped. 20v 4age is the goat engine tho.

It is? I'm slightly more interested now. He says it was pulled from a wreck which is sketchy, and that it's not done, "I think all the pieces are there, but it needs exhaust."

Is this something I can pore over a manual/internet forums/YouTube and figure out myself?

If it's relatively rust free, that's worth it with no engine. Make sure it has a transmission though; if it's autotragic this would be a great time to do the swap.

You'll have plenty to work with if it's a 20V 4AGE.

if u got a homie thats done a swap before maybe but its sounds like you have no idea what youre doing so i would steer clear unless you are incredibly handy and have the necessary tools.

i mean look at that nonsense.

imagine this behind your head all day.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5IbRhh7TM

It's manual, for 1, 1.5k it's not a huge hit and if it's already got a decent engine I can go from there, thx anons. If I get to a respectable point I'll share my Japanese 80s/neon glory on here

Anyone got any quick links to a forum where they talk about this car, or some reference material other than cold googling?

Thoughts on AW11 vs E30 vs E36? I'm looking to scoop one up for like 2k then build it into a street/track car.

The last 6 months or so I've been planning on taking an 86 AW11 and swapping to a built 2gr-fe like a retard. I've got most of the big shit planned out and plan on ironing out the smaller details while I run into them.

The MR2 I've got my eye on runs with the engine that's in it, barely, but since I plan on gutting it all out anyways I figured I'd run it till it either quit or I had all my parts together.

Since I'm already being autistic about planning I started planning out the repaint now, even though it'll be among the last things that happens to it. Being a retard, I've run into trouble because crayons hard. You'll have to use your imagination because these are shitty recolors. Which in the image would make you turn into a helicopter of vomit and feces, and which would you be like "meh, is k."
TL;DR :: I'm an autist and bad at picking colors, which of these would you be most embarrassed to see, and which would you be okay with?

I've been leaning towards black and orange, or black and white. Dark Blues are among my favorite colors but I feel like it wouldn't work out so well, like it'd have to be a light blue which doesn't suit me well.

Open to suggestions.

go full weaboo mode and do white and red with this on the side and blast beat of the rising sun.

:^)

I guess on the plus side I could play up my asian weeb heritage and yell out Nippon Bansai while faking turns into old people.

Sadly I'm a just a nerdy retard not a weeb =\

how about blue/white instead of blue/black

gettin japoon shelby mustang vibes

not in the good way

well that looked better in my head
but the point still stands i think, if you want darker shades you have to offset them with a lighter one

Bumping because no point in making new thread:

When looking for one of these 30 year old cars, where is rust not acceptable? Cursory googling tells me a lot of mr2s have died to unchecked rust.

It won't really "die" it will just look like shit, and getting nuts and bolts out of things near the underbody will be a pain in the ass because 90% of the time they will be too rusted and will just snap off.

Having one rust free just saves you so much headache. What could be a 10 minute job could turn into potential hours of work because of screws that snap.

Well I mean die as in, some people just report rust on like, sills or suspension mounting. Which is understandable being 30 years old, but that's no good.

I dunno what else to look for though, that's all I got from the top of my head