Engine swap?

I recently bought a 5S-FE (pictured) for $350 from a 1996 Camry that was being parted out by a salvage yard because the engine in my 2000 Camry (also a 5S-FE, but slightly different apparently) died and I thought it'd just be a straight swap. But I guess the '96 engine has a distributor, while the '00 has a coil pack. Also a lot of sensors and other parts are either placed differently or just different altogether. For instance, the '00 has one o2 sensor on the manifold, while the '96 has two. Money's pretty tight right now, and I don't think I'd be able to find another running engine even close to $350. So I really need to make this work in my car somehow. Is it even remotely possible with adapters and brackets or something like that? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Seriously, you have no idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

turboninjas.com/camry/eg1.pdf
workshop-manuals.com/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/3954024/1999_Toyota_Camry_Factory_Service_Repair_Manual
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

remove everything that doesn't match your engine then swap over your old parts. youll probably have a bare long block by the time your done stripping parts off the "new" engineering

Strip it down to a long block and swap everything over.

This, wiring loom won't need changed or modified.

Strip to long block, get new gaskets and build it back up with your old parts.

also here is the workshop manual for your engine to help you along with swapping your parts.

turboninjas.com/camry/eg1.pdf

I was afraid I might not be able to avoid that :/
This is amazing! Do you have 4th gen?

Not on hand, but I'll post something later when I get off work.

That manual will pretty much sort you out though. Probably a day is swapping your bits over, so just get stuck into it man.

Good luck.

You're a life saver! Thank you so much!!!

Why did you get that for $350 when you can get a LS for $500?

In all seriousness though I came to say What happened to your old engine?

Just use all the accessory bits from your engine. The actual block and head themselves should be three same between the two.

I'd guess the scenario is: the guys engine went, he needs his car, he has not got much money/time/mechanic skills, wants a drop an engine in and keep motoring, wants to keep everything the same so as to not modify electrics etc, so buys a replacement engine cheap in the hope he can get his car back on the road, ask for help, gets help and is happy to put his $350 engine back in to get his car working again.

>$350 is less than $500, plus all the shit needed to get the engine to work.

I meant what happened to his old engine?

Also

>Implying the swap wouldn't have taken him an afternoon

Yeeeeaahhh... That pretty much sums it up.
It started leaking oil and I couldn't afford to fix it, but I did have to continue commuting 140 miles a day to pay my rent. Turns out that plan didn't work out too well.

I've no idea

also

>implying the dude can swap out sensors/wiring

also

>implying

Also

>electric imp

Shit like that sucks man, I'm watching your thread because i've been there many years ago. I posted the manual and shit for you to get started.

I'm a lead tech, lots of anons on here are mechanics, and will come help you out eventually, you'll get satisfaction out of getting your car going again, and experience.

Just ignore the "why didn't you just put a V8 twin turbo in it".

I'll post 4th gen stuff later.

Swap out what now? How'd I even get involved in this, man?

I really appreciate it. I'll probably be up bumping this for a while so it doesn't disappear. You think trying to rebuild the first engine might work? I was expecting the one I bought to just swap right in, I didn't know there was more than one 5S-FE. I think it's made for a Celica maybe?

how are you so poor? I mean you speak good english so you live in a first world country with at worst first world minimum wage

How the fuck are you this poor that you cant buy another fucking used car
Are you an ethnic minority?

The hub caps.

They kept the same block, celica was different. What exactly happened? A rebuild will cost money all ways, did the motor lock up due to the oil leak, or will it just not start?

Does it crank by hand?

It made some really awful noises and then wouldn't start again after I stalled at a stop sign, which I didn't even know automatics could do. My brother's been working on it at his house on the weekends, so there's no labor costs, just parts. We took the old engine out, then realized that the new one had too many slight differences. The new one had been in a 96 Camry and my brother heard it running before I paid for it, so I know there's nothing wrong with that one. We both assumed a 3rd gen engine would work in a 4th gen Camry. I have no idea if the old one cranks by hand or not.

you're good bro, the 3gen will fit the 4gen.

Get that engine and your old engine to a long block, lay everything out on the floor, check the castings for shit that lines up, fit your old parts, clean everything and use new gaskets.

I got toyota epc and most manuals on my desktop, even if the thread dies post another, I'll hang around until you get going. We'll get your shit back on the road man.

1996 Canary 5s has balance shafts and the Celica doesnt. The engine is gonna vibrate like a bitch but probably respond better. Other than that just swap shit as suggested

I just hate the idea of cannibalizing the new engine instead of using it the way it is. I'm not entirely sure what having 16 valves does, but it sounds like something I'd want to keep if I can. Of course, that being said, I mostly just want to drive again more than anything else, so screw it, right?

16 valves improves engine effeciency by having a better and more steady mixture of fuel and air, plus exhausting gases. Most likely your car is tuned for fuel efficiency, but you can easily get a lot fompower out an engine with that many valves

Well, losing that's gonna suck...

You'll be fine. Try switching from a 300HP V8 monster to a 134HP shitbox as a DD. You get used to it. Whimpier cars are easier to maintain/cheaper. Besides you'll probably only lose a couple horses. Not a huge amount. Probably like 20. Look up the specifications of both engines by year

I looked it up for you senpai.
> 1996 5S-FE
130HP-144ft/lb torque
> 2000 5S-FE
136HP-150ft/lbs torque

So nothing really noticeable. You can easily just add a CAI or racing plugs ti get that power back easy

The old engine you picked up is still 16 valve, you aint losing any valves. It's the same fecking engine excect the ignition system changed from dizzy to coils.

Did you even read that workshop manual?

If it is a 5S-FE engine, it is a 16 valve, regardless of year.

Aren't all S engines dual cam 4-valve? And isn't the new engine? It says 16 valve right on it. Why are you swapping heads? You should just need to swap all the manifolds and shit. I doubt they actually changed the block castings in a way that would affect compatibility.

What is 4x4 user?

I think I remember seeing my old engine's fuel pressure regulator on the right side, and the new one has it on the left. I hope I'm wrong...

Oh cool, thread's still here.

Just had another stupid thought. I know my old engine was California Emissions, not Federal. Is there a way to tell what the new engine is, or does it not even matter since it's the previous generation?

>Why are you swapping heads?
Where did you pick that up?

Yeah, I thought I was swapping the hub caps...

take parts from both and smooch them together

Think I'd be able to sell any of the un-smooched parts?

Wow you are such a Toyota owner.
t; hire a mechanic

Because the new head says 16v on it and he's worried about the drawbacks of having fewer valves.

I really am, aren't I?

Which makes perfect sense to worry about, right? I'm definitely not some idiot who has no idea how cars work. I know exactly what I'm talking about here.

Well, I just found the coolest site ever...
workshop-manuals.com/

I'm still confused. Are you going to be taking the head off of the new engine? Does the new engine not say 16 valve on it? Why is the number of valves an issue if the new engine and the old engine are both 16v?

Sorry about all that. The new engine is the exact one in the picture up top. I somehow thought that the impressive-looking badges on it meant it was way better than my old engine, which I figured must've had like 4 valves or something because it didn't have any badges. I'm really dumb like that. I guess I thought "valves" were like sticks of RAM in a computer or something along those incredibly stupid lines. Anyways, it sounds like I need to take the coil packs, sensors, and some other things off of my old engine and put them onto the new one, maybe. Not sure if the head is involved in that, but it doesn't seem to be. I'm waiting for the guy who posted that turboninjas link to come back, he said he had a bunch of 4th gen books too. But basically, I understand the whole valve situation now. Or, you know, lack thereof.

Yeesh! Gettin' a little too close to page 10 if you ask me...

thepiratebay.org/torrent/3954024/1999_Toyota_Camry_Factory_Service_Repair_Manual

Oh man, I can't wait to start reading all that.

it's the best reference. i have yet to use it on my camry. mine is '00 with 127k miles on the original belts and suspension components. soon though

Seriously, this is like, early Christmas. I love stuff like this.

Add a 3sgte head and then buy a Tarbo later.