Rare car ownership

So Veeky Forums. Does anyone have a car they never see anywhere else on the road?

I just bought this 96 Mark VIII for 750. (needs new rear suspension). I never see any of these cars on the road. Apparently they are hard to find.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8lSv35iEQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCK7N2SgJjE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mark VIII's aren't rare at all.

Where I am at. They are pretty rare to see.

>I never see any of these cars on the road
Because they're all in junk yards. You should've gotten a Continental.

They're getting to be a bit more rare.

I have a 78 Bronco that I'm fixing up right now. It runs and drives. I'm just doing brakes and miscellaneous stuff. I've never seen one driving before.

>wanting the shitty FWD version

the fuck?
Both are usually in junkyards at this point because both are equally unreliable

yeah i dont see my car on the road but sometimes i see the convertible ones

Or they are just getting old and high miles?

Exactly

At least Mark VIII's are a great source for cheap teksid blocks.

why would you want a puny 4.6 block?

I've owned and DD'ed:
>1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
>1964 Impalla SS
>1967 VW Bus, 21 window
>1976 Datsun 280Z
>1991 BMW 318is (seen plenty of E30's but rarely a 318is)
>1997 Acura Integra Type-R (seen plenty of GS-R's and LS's but rarely a real Type-R)
>2003 BMW 540i/6 M Sport (current car. This model is rarer than the M5. I've actually seen plenty of E39 M5's and have yet to see another M Sport)

I hardly ever see my 90's Corollas anywhere.

No they're both fine. I still see both running around with regularity. Continental is fwd but whatever it has an N/A mod motor, reliable as fuck. Not sure about the trans though.
Mark VIII is basically a 2 door town car, reliable as fuck.

OP here. one of the biggest reasons I got the car was for the 4.6 liter engine. I got it from some old dude who dropped the price from 950. So far it runs fine. Just needs brake work (brakes are all the way to the floor). It has a possible intake leak, and it needs its rear suspension fixed. Other then that no problems. No coolant in the oil. Nothing.

Pretty rare.

I've got an 82 Z28. You hardly see early third gens anymore, let alone one this clean and unmolested. I've also never ever seen another 82-84 Z28 with a 4 speed manual and rear discs, only this one.

The turd gens? Ya I seen lots of them for sale but in ratty condition. Is the engine in them really as bad as people make them out to be?

i live in a small town in the middle of nowhere

none of these cars at all, theres maybe 3 cars in my whole city

What is it?

If you're looking for a track monster, yes, but for daily driving and getting an occasional rip through the gears/highway pull it's fine. It's got gobs and gobs of low end torque. Everyone who wants to shit on it quotes the 145hp from the factory, but they conveniently leave out the 240 lbs-ft of torque. With my simple mods, (pellet type cat delete, rich chip, timing advanced, double roller timing chain) it's putting down about 200 at the crank. It sounds weak now but remember that all the other v8's from about 1972 to then were making numbers as pitiful as 125-135 at the crank, in much, MUCH heavier cars.

I'm still probably going to end up LS1 swapping it eventually though. I'll miss the WHOOOOP of the secondaries in the carb, but it's gonna make over 100 more horsepower and still get better fuel economy.

Interesting. Is it a comfortable ride? Also, did you get the car in such nice condition or did you restore it?

I'm looking at an Integra Type R, always see integras but never seen a type r in Texas.

The only other one I see is a guy in town daily drives a gold one year round. In Chicago. With salt. I cry evry tim

Type R is the only one worth mentioning

People conveniently forget to mention torque bevause it's irrelevant

I like to think so

Saleen XP8
Just a Second Gen Explorer with a body kit and a few suspension mods, though there was an optional s/c.

They only made 125 of them. I only bought this one to part out, though looking back at it I really wish I kept all the parts and made a clone.

You done goofed, ive never seen one until now and that thing is badass

Ya, this one was pretty fucked though.

I sold the seats alone for more than I paid for it it though, and used the rest of the profit to buy a nice tire machine and balancer.

Can honestly say being a decent ford fan, I have never heard of this vehicle before.

Never had anything particularly rare myself, but a lot of my friends/acquaintances have had some pretty crazy shit.

One guy I know used to have one of only two DR30 RS-Turbo Skylines in the US. (At the time, anyway, I think a few more have been brought in since then.) He got sick of not being able to drive it because parts were unobtanium and sold it a few years back.

Another friend has had a lot of unusual stuff. He's big into restomod Datsuns and currently has an SR-swapped Roadster, and just got an R32 GT-R.

Another friend has a Lotus Evora, which has been a gigantic pain in the ass.

Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin...

82 Toyota Corona, I've seem a couple of the earlier years of the gen but they're pretty damn rare here in the US at least.

me mum drives one

I have seen one of these before. A college kid was peeling out of a parking garage in it while I was walking by

VW didn't bother to design a convertible Mk2, so the mk1 cabriolet was made and sold through '92. That's probably why you see more of them. First gen GTis are getting rarer for sure.

I'm in a similar boat with my third-gen Accord. Obviously it's a bit newer than mk1 GTi, and I wouldn't call it "rare" yet, but I don't see a lot of the 3rd gens out on the road.

Not as rare as you think, there are 3 where I live, and my chemistry teacher in highschool had one

I've seen a few in the JY and at the track.

I own a 540i wagon with M package

Nice, my father used to own a 540i my sport. Had no idea ther were more rare than the m5 though

I own a Twin Cam AE82, they were popular in Australia at one point but not anymore it seems.

There's like four of these in my uni carpark (one of 7 carparks)

For the intake leak, check all your vacuum and pcv hoses. Those engines like to eat intake manifolds as well. But it cheap and easy to replace.

Also, the 4.6L is notorious for eating coils just barely enough to cause a slight misfire but never throw a code. I came SO close to just replacing all 8 on my 99 crown vic but I was able to finally nail it down to 2 bad coils

I don't know about australia, but I see corollas going back to E80s absolutely everywhere in NJ.

3 of my 4 vehicles are rare. picture related was the first 8th gen Toyota Crown in Canada, imported it almost 10 years ago and have put on 90,000km here including trips to the USA

otherwise i have one of the first Toyota Supras ever made (low chassis number MKI) and a 1981 Toyota Hilux 4WD with the rare heavy duty commercial model option

A60 Celicas are getting rare, I think I've seen only one other A60 Celica that wasn't a Celica Supra. Most have gotten hit by the rust bug.

>I never see any of these cars on the road. Apparently they are hard to find.

There is a very good reason for that

saw a single one once, over 10 years ago
>1981 Toyota Hilux 4WD with the rare heavy duty commercial model option
pics?

the only reason its rare is because it's absolutely disgusting

86 fiero gt v6 5 speed with spoiler, sunroof, power windows, locks, mirrors. Probably only a few thousand with these options/trim. One of the last to come out in 86, they started doing the 5 speed late in 86

I've got a "special edition" '08 zx6r, don't really know how rare it is, but I don't see many. It has red wheels lol.

Well, I've only ever seen two other AE86s on the road in my life. About a dozen at the national japanese classic car meet.

I've seen exactly 1 other, it was white

Nigga how old are you

I think it looks great, Especially the spare tire hump in the back.

I really wish I can get one of those crown in us. how would you say about maintenance? is it hard?

Fucking jelly as shit about that 56 Deville.

That's a clean iroc buddy didn't know It was the 4 speed, well optioned out!

Have you ever seen what a brand new iroc looks like check out this video of s barn find iroc that still has factory plastic wrap on the interior

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8lSv35iEQ

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCK7N2SgJjE

Only seen another wagon of the same gen once, very recently at ice cream cruise

Owned an 88' Mazda 323 GTX which was one of like 1400 ever delivered to the US between 86 and 89. Turbo AWD 16V DOHC hot hatch homolgated for WRC standards was pretty awesome but parts were like chicken teeth!

My car is an 09 cobalt SS turbo

It's paint Job is summit white and only 203 cars exists worldwide with this colour

Not so much "rare" as "holy shit, a second gen Civic that ISN'T rusted to shit and ready for the dump?!"

fucking noice, lucky bastard. why no TA FBs tho ?

Assuming we're counting trims and such, S2000 CR (Honda made 699). I only ever see other ones at S2000 meets.

>I need to take a new picture sometime

>305CID V8
>150 HP

absolute fucking disgust

my friend drives one of those, its an 86. it isnt in nearly as good of condition yours is though. what year is yours?

It was a fun car. I bought it from a Honda mechanic sight unseen in Atlanta with about 20k miles on it, clean title. Drove it to the Pacific Northwest. Eventually sold it to a Honda salesman about three years later.

Unless you're in Canada it is not the same car. There are 540i wagons with the 'Sport' package, but I can assure you it is not an authentic limited run M Sport. The last seven characters of the VIN number must start with GF#####.

You learn something new everyday, good sir.

I lucked out. This was gifted to me when I was a senior in high school. I still have it, but haven't driven it in 20 years. It's parked up at my uncles property probably full of raccoons and squirrel shit. I moved out of state shortly after acquiring it and only very recently moved back home. I suppose I should drive to his house and get a visual of the carnage.

I'm not a Camaro guy, but that is pretty outstanding and a great story.

>plug

It's comfy as fuck. I love the seats, they hug you just the right way despite not looking like they're bolstered enough. I could sit in them for hours. Needs front struts right now though so it's a little wallowy in the corners, should get much better after I put in the Bilsteins I've had my eye on for a while. Pic related is what the interior looks like but not my car.

>>>/hg/

Yeah I saw that on thirdgen.org as it was unfolding years ago, couldn't believe it. It actually has the same engine as mine though, not the TPI motor. IIRC the original owner ordered it that way since they were going to swap it and race it, so there was no point in getting the $600 engine option.

While that's cool as fuck I also can't help but feel kind of sorry for the car since it will never be driven. Felt the same way for that Foxbody with only 10 or so miles on the odometer.

But many are driven and still alive, not like it's a super rare classic by any means and still from our generations lifetime, I like to feel atleast there are still some being preserved with that off the line originality and one day my kids can look at the old "automobiles" that you could drive yourself and operated off explosions.

1998 Mark VIII LSC reporting in. Apparently it's also a sort of cult car. About a month into owning it, I found a note on my windshield inviting me to a Mark VIII Enthusiast group on Facebook.

I remember you! I asked if it was a good car to buy, this must ahve been 5 years ago.