The three opinions that people have about electric vehicles

Their are people who like Electric Vehicles and think they're great, people who think Electric Vehicles are a cool idea in general terms but have interests which mostly lie elsewhere and a bunch of hipster contrarians who hate electric vehicles simply because other people like them and they want to hold onto the past even when doing so is silly.

Other urls found in this thread:

seekingalpha.com/article/3998082-teslas-lithium-problem
usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/08/26/could-lithium-shortage-derail-electric-car-boom/87684224/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Their
I have an opinion about your grammar that it's shit.

>their

Electric car shills everyone.

Shill
...for when you irrationally hate something that other people like, but can't make an argument against it.

wheredoyouthinkyouare.jpg

Or the 4th category, people who are waiting for them to become gud and relevant.

Get me a 70+ model s for under $50k new and we'll be talking.

>irrational hate for electric vehicles
>on an argumentative automotive board

you don't say

>tesla faggots complaining about contrarian hipsters
oh the ironing. the problem with you idiots is that you failed physics 101 and can't tell that a battery-powered car is a stupid idea.
>w-we will have super batteries in the future
no we wont, read any basic chemistry or solid state physics textbook.

Cool idea, kind of a meme right now. The industry is preparing for a post-gas world which is good, but for most people they don't make sense. Let's review.

>hybrids
In stop and go traffic with proper braking they can be much more fuel efficient, but with current gas prices the value prop makes a lot less sense

>plug in hybrids
Stupid shit to inflate fleet MPGs while offering virtually no range on pure electric (the Ford Fusion Energi is ~12 miles pure EV, the rest is gas, ZOMG 99MPGS!!!! please.)

>pure electric
Cool vehicles but there's just a lot of downsides.
1) The battery is expensive to make, expensive to change when it needs replacement, and loses capacity over time. Only loss of more than 25% within a certain mileage period is covered.
2) Range is a problem. Sure most people (95%+) could make it back and forth to work on EV without charging, but you have to go on a road trip once and you're fucked. It's basically only useful as a second or third or fourth (etc.) vehicle and not only vehicle.
3) Charging time on road trips is a problem, charging batteries faster shortens their lives. You can fill up an SUV at a slow pump from empty to full in about five minutes, most sedans with a quarter tank at modern pumps will fill in two, and then you have another 300+ mile range.
4) Cost right now vs. what you get (vs. an ICE)
5) Charger install costs money at home, and if your work/public place doesn't have an EV charger then you have to charge at home. Some places pay far cheaper prices per kw/hr.

I know a bunch of people that got a sweetheart deal on Nissan Leafs, $170/mo lease and work has 10 EV chargers so these people just charge the cars on work on work's dime (so we can remind everyone how modern and eco friendly we are :^) ... at that price, as a second vehicle, it's hard to shake a stick at. But that's just it, because of road trips, it's only good as a second vehicle. AND that lease price is no longer available, not by far.

here
Forgot to mention, A/C and especially electric heat can be especially punishing on the range in electric cars. Problem whether you live somewhere hot or cold.

>Their are people

Electric motors being better than ICEs isn't the discovery of the century, retard. But all that instant torque and muh zero emissions is completely irrelevant if you can't supply it with electricity. It's easy for trains to be fully electric, as they're bound to tracks anyway, but large ships, airplanes, lawnmowers, chainsaws and the majority of cars will need ICEs for another long time. Batteries will never replace gas tanks, hauling 2000lbs of dead weight will never be the solution. By the time batteries have enough capacity at a decent weight, longevity and charging speed, pocket sized cold fusion reactors will be a thing. Until then we'll develop hydrogen fuel cells and cleaner diesel hybrids with supercapacitors.

Stop falling for the Tesla meme, they're never gonna make it, mark my words.

>hauling 2000lbs of dead weight will never be the solution
it's what pop-sci retards actually believe though

The three opinions that people have about EcoBoost® vehicles
Their are people who love EcoBoost® and think they're great and want to tell other this fact, people who think EcoBoost® are a cool idea in general terms but have interests which mostly lie elsewhere and a bunch of hipster contrarians who hate EcoBoost® vehicles simply because GM is unable to compete and they want to hold onto the past even when doing so is silly.

I simply love the smell and sound of a gas engine. My cars been catless with an exhaust for years and when i drive in non modded cars they are way to dull and boring

>EcoBoost®
That's just an empty, irrelevant marketing term though.

GM is an empty irrelevant brand

They're shit.
>shit range
>have to wait for hours to fully charge
>no way to improve because battery technology isn't progressing anymore
>not any less harmful to the environment than modern ICE cars

Oh forgot something
>even shittier range in the winter/cold countries
>batteries go bad and cost a shitton to replace so forget about buying a used electric car for 2 grand

I don't like any car made since the 90s so fuck all of you

Electric vehicles are total shit right now. Agreed.
Developing an actually reliable, cheapish, solar, practical and overall good electrical vehicle is a top priority right now though. If we could half car's emissions in the next 30 years, that would be a great achievement.

Kill yourself retard.

And exhaust all the reserves of Lithium on Earth?
If we're gonna look for something ecological, it's gotta be hydrogen

my grandad said
>electricity is for the vacuum cleaner
>wood is for the furnace
>petrol is for the car

>my grandad said
we boomer now?

And his grandad said that AC electricity is devil incarnate.
So what?

>exhaust all the reserves of Lithium
Not in a million years.

Price is rising seekingalpha.com/article/3998082-teslas-lithium-problem
And a shortage is not far away
usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/08/26/could-lithium-shortage-derail-electric-car-boom/87684224/

Forgot to quote.

I think the concept overall is pretty cool and I certainly admire the efforts made by the company but I just don't see the lithium-ion approach being the answer. Most people commenting here are dead beat retards that don't know their left from right so I don't expect you to understand this but Tesla's has made very little progress in terms of energy density within Lithium-Ion cells which is the actual problem at hand.

To put it in perspective, the public currently has access to 3600mAh cells in an 18650 size. Tesla invented a new size (20550 or some shit) and when scaled to 18650, it's about 3900mAh. So it's a very very small improvement in the area that actually matters.

It's cool but it is a novelty. I would argue it would have far less success were it not for the massive tax credit consumers receive in the USA. I support electric/non-gas cars but the current approach (and with current technology) isn't ever going to be comparable to traditional gas powered vehicles in any sense of the word.

If you'd take a second and find out how much lithium there is on earth, you wouldn't use rising prices and temporary shortages as an indicator for "exhausting all if the reserves". It's like saying "ohno, we're gonna use up all the copper reserves".

my volvo have ecoboost.
you jelly?

>that would be a great achievement
for who? lobbies? decreased emissions wont change climate (change), it would only improve air quality.

i am just pleased for u user

Actually, reducing greenhouse gas emissions would slow climate change and eventually stop it.

sounded like a good post until
>bunch of hipster contrarians who hate electric vehicles simply because other people like them and they want to hold onto the past even when doing so is silly.

lol wtf nig electric vehicles are bad. RWD CARBED V8888 STRAIGHT PIPES in everything

also
>Their

The concept is great the reality it an environmental disaster, look at CO2 per mile for a BEV compared to petroleum cars. Then look at the embedded energy comparison and the 10 year servicing embedded energy.

EcoBoost is a meme too, and I say that as someone who has an EcoBoost vehicle. If you drive cruise control at 55mph constant with no up/down shifting you get maybe a 1mpg or 2 extra. Any slowdowns/speedups as is common and you easily lose 6-7MPG highway and 4-6MPG city to the turbo sucking down fuel.

Their.... retard

What about the Cheby Volt?