2017 Fiat 124 Spider

>Powered by Passion

>With a Class-Exclusive 160-horsepower turbo engine+, nearly 50/50 weight distribution, a responsive four-wheel independent suspension, electric power steering and a convertible top, what could be better?

What are your predictions? Will it get me a GF?

Items can get you laid, user. They can't get you good relationships tho.

Anyway no. That car would be pretty great with 200 horses, and god-tier weekend car with 250. But it doesn't have that. Also, Fiat engine = reliability issues, 50/50 actually isn't the ideal f/r ratio, and this car is a jewel for the used market, not the new one.

jeeps get you girls and get you laid, roadsters don't unless they're new porches

>Fiat engine = reliability issues
stopped reading here

le italian car = unreliable meme
>nice

Also what is more hp going to do? It's still going to be slow compared to fast cars in the price range, the fuck is with people and their desire to make cars that are meant to be slow fast?

if it was literally any other engine in the fiat lineup he'd be right
the 1.4 is the completely nonsensical exception to the rule

Oh hey, it's like a Miata except uglier, has a boosted engine that doesn't make any more power so all it does is reduce response, more expensive, and slower.

Because its a 1.4 turbo on a platform made for a 2.0 NA engine
The smaller engine barelly makes the same power and now has turbo lag
People wanted at least the same power or more from a turbo miata, not less
180hp should be the base model with a 200hp option and it would be a blast of a car
But for what is it, get a miata if you want rwd fun or a mini s if you don't mind ff

>electric power steering
>good

Lmao

>What are your predictions? Will it get me a GF?

>Driving a convertible as a male

More like a BF

Nice Italian Miata there, can't wait to see how much worse fiat can get (hint, it literally can't, they're in dead last for reliability)

Why does it come with shit tier color options?

It's got black and red, the only 2 colors a car should ever really be.

My .02

It's got Fiat's ONLY bulletproof engine, the 1.4. Boosted, it's going to feel fun but it won't be quick.

Downside, everything else is fiat so when it bends LCAs tie rods etc in the first 20,000km, hey at least the engine will still be good.

Will test drive when I get a day to do so and report back.

Is it better than the ND?

here in Switzerland I only see women driving Porsche roadsters

I'm pretty sure the chassis is pretty much all Mazda, dude.

Depends on what you mean by better

>Fiat build quality for 5 more horsepower

Worse engine, better suspension. Pick your poison

>worse engine
worse how?

more like powered by repair shop (LOL)

>Fiat engine = reliability issues
The engine is 7 fucking years old and known for reliability, amazing considering it's Fiat

Handles worse, slower stock, and has really bad turbolag
kek and driver did a comparison

You should do your googling better. Fiat never had an unreliable engine.

>1.4 multiair
>turbo lag
lmao
Have you ever driven one?

stock for stock it's a toss up, but I personally would not touch a base 124, gotta go abarth

in terms if cheap tuning potential the Fiat is way better because turbo tuning and strong motor

Oh look, it's Veeky Forums favorite fiat shill

A turbo car will never have the throttle response and power characteristics of a naturally car without some sort of anti lag technology. Lag is inherent in a turbo setup. To deny that your precious multi air has a perceptible amount of lag is to deny that the turbine and compressor have mass.

>muh N/A purity
Turbolag is almost non-existent nowadays.
Fuck off with your retarded no torks engine.

If it's a small engine it makes ALL the sense in the world to attach a snail on it.
Hell, even if it's a V8 it makes sense.

>FWD diesel Fiat

>jewel for the used market
>86's from 2014 have asking prices like 18k
What a good fucking joke you've got there anonymous.

>almost
You said it yourself

9 hp is not enough to justify its lack of response. It's not even about purity either. Even will all that torque It's still slower on track anyway.

"The likenesses run deep in these two roadsters. Both have the same 90.9-inch wheelbase and unibody structure. The control-arm front- and multilink rear-suspension layouts are identical, except each has its own springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars." -car and driver

Except you can tune that 1.4 to heaven and beyond, while skyactiv on the mazda is shit on that respect.

the 1.9 twin turbo diesel is great

Actually, the 1.4 Multiair is pretty damn reliable, and can reach 180whp with ECU tuning. It can easily go up to 200 with an intake and exhaust (although the 124's intake will be less restrictive than the FWD units).

Fiats depreciate harder though.

Fiat 124:
>160hp@5500rpm
>183ftlbs@2100-4000rpm

Mazda MX-5:
>155hp@6000rpm
>148ftlbs@4600rpm

Yes, the Fiat 'only' makes 5 more HP. But it makes it 500rpm earlier. It also makes 36ftlbs more torque - at almost half the rpm of the Mazda.

You can define an engine's powerband as going from peak torque to peak power.The Fiat has a 3400rpm powerband. The Mazda only has 1400rpm to efficiently work with - less than half that. This means it'll be out of it's powerband after shifting.

Also, gains on the turbo engine will be bigger than on the n/a engine. We've already seen 30+ftlbs gained on the 1.4 in FWD applications, simply via ECU tuning. This will only widen the gap between the two, especially the difference in torque production .

>Being this insecure

1. Show us a European consumer report that says so

2. The 124 is 90% ND Miata parts. Exceptions: it doesn't have the glass gearbox (it uses the NC unit), and it uses the reliable and proven (by everyone's standards) 1.4 Fiat turbo mill.

>Americans are cucked out of glorious Azurro Italia
Wat?

Do you like intact gearboxes?

If so, the 124 is better.

>nocar wannabe le supreme enthusiasts rattling off about "turbo lag" and "muh response"
Never change Veeky Forums. Maybe one day you'll actually learn something about cars instead of regurgitating conjecture you saw some other memer shit out

because American cars are srs bsns. cant have any of that fun or creative color shit yknow.

BLACK, CHARCOAL GREY, WHITE AND SILVER FOR YOU. YOU WANT MORE COLOR? HERE, HAVE A DULL RED NOW FUCK OFF.

>Worse engine
See

i legit learned something from this thread
>You can define an engine's powerband as going from peak torque to peak power
makes sense now that i think about it

Even if it has lag, it has torque. Lots and lots of it, compared to the n/a Mazda.

You lost me at electronic power steering.

You lost me at Fiat.

Fix it again Johnny.

Ok guys

When you're driving a car, you physically can not feel torque. Torque is twisting force in an instant, with no regard for time. When you think you're feeling "low end torque", you're feeling horsepower at a low rpm. You can only "feel" horsepower because it is a measure of work. Peak acceleration happens at peak horsepower, not at peak torque.

A car with lots of torque but not a lot of horsepower will accelerate slower than a car with lots of hp but not a lot of torque. (RPM * torque) / 5252 = horsepower

How does this relate to the ND and Fiata? It seems like some of you guys think that because the Fiata makes a lot of torque, it's faster. Having a lot of low end torque doesn't really do anything but widen the power band. And on a track, you only stay in the top 1/4 of the rpm range anyway

Not sure what my point is with this post but yeah. Torks aren't really that important.