Call All Technicians

Alright guys i start my new job as a GM Tech next month back home! I just finished up 2 years at NEIT and am excited to start my journey on this new road.

One thing though, I need to order tools to keep at the dealership. Through the school I have a $5K limit and can be paid off over 2 years and everything is 50% off! So that means I have the option to order $10K worth of tools (with tax) at the cost of $5K and can pay it. off over 2 years.

My wuestions for any other techs on here, what set would you suggest I buy for an entry level position that contain almost everything I need???

Ordering these on Thursday! EXCITED!!!

These are all Snap On tools btw sorry I forgot too include that, just so amped lol

Wait to see what you will need at your job. Just get basics for now

Who ever will train you at th e job will let you know and experience ov3rtime.

Everything.
In fact, two of everything.

Get 200 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm sockets.

Because fuck brakes.

Cause people will steal?

Buy a 1/4" and 1/2" ratchet with the most teeth they offer, 1/2" torque wrench (hah, like auto techs would really ever use a torque wrench!), and get everything else at Harbor Freight.

Maybe SnapOn for channel locks, too, although I'm a huge fan of Channellock brand channel locks. Oh, and does SnapOn have a decent strap wrench? Does such a thing exist?

Because you will lose them.
Better yet, just buy a dozen impact guns.

I can understand the sockets but you think the other techs will steal my impact gun? :[

The dealership is supplying a lockable tool box I just need to purchase the tooks.

If you have the cash, dont buy anything but the hard to find shit from the snapon truck. Tool trucks are like rent-a-centers. Sure, you get a lot of tools for a weekly payment, but you're overpaying like a motherfucker for basically the same shit you can buy anywhere else for pennies on the dollar.

NEIT as in New England Institute of Technology?

Went there on a HS tour, since I went to a vocational school, how is it there.

No one is going to still your impact if they have your own. You need to figure out how big that tool box is before you spend any kind of money on tool. At Honda people who started got a shitty 4 drawer harbor freight cart as a provided box. Be sure it's not one of those.

Depends what you go for. Its pretty nice for Transport Tech. The little midget teacher Mr. Martel has terrible anger issues probably due to his height and has a short fuse. Other than that and the $40ishK i still owe in tuition it was a good 2 years.

Lots of kids fuck with the cars and break shit all the time, also like 50% of the kids here seem to be rich or come from rich families and are kind of assholes but to each his own.

$40k for 2 years? Jesus Christ that's fucking awful

Honestly that's not a bad idea cause I lose those fuckers like they're made of thin air.

>tfw at least a dozen 13mm box ends in my toolbox
>tfw I've literally never seen a 13mm bolt head in my life

10k isn't going to be a lot in snap on world.

You need at least:

1/4, 3/8, half inch flex ratchets with sockets up to 24, and a 32.
1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches
A set of ratcheting spanners up to 6-24mm
2 sets of standard spanners.
Double depth sockets
Impact sockets
Ratchet extension set/knucles
Torx driver T handles and standard
Allen Head T handles and standard
Hammers inc deadblow
Breaker bars
Pry bars
Straight extended spanners
multimeter
power probe with battery cables

That will get you going, also i'm assuming that the dealer will provide any special tools such as pullers, timing equipment, trim pullers etc

Holy fuck, have you gone full retard? You've spent over 40k on a two year tech school and are looking to add on another 5 to have an absolute shit job. Normally I tell everyone to run away from being a tech as fast as possible, but my advice to you is don't procreate.

some people are stubborn assholes
they dont listen to anyone. especially the teachers

a lot of redundancy that my tools dont reflect
my impact sockets are my deep sockets
i never use my T handle allens, only sockets
they are cool but not handy

GM Tech here. Buy lots of lube, you're going to need it for how much you're going to get fucked by the glorious General

If you want to make money and are anyway decent at electrical get a good multimeter and take all of the shitty trim jobs. Once you learn the ins and outs of GM warranty times and glorious straight time you can make good money as a trimmer. Our trim guy regularly has 10+ hour days when work is steady.

Good luck!

when i worked at ford the tranny guy was the most fun to talk to

Our tranny guy is hilarious. Old Vietnamese guy, he's like a goddamn wizard. He can overhaul pretty much any GM transmission based on memory alone. Doesn't even need the service manual for torque specs. He also builds some wacky tools that only he understands.

Although diagnosing, removing, overhauling and replacing a transmission under warranty pays about as much as two or three brake jobs. Which would you rather do? The only positive is it's steady work

it's worth it when you are a student who can get them half off

Lots of the specialty tools on the snap-on/mac/matco truck are the exact same as the ones you'd find at harbor freight/princess auto. Even the part number is the same, they might just be a different colour or come in a different box.

for instance. Mac/Snap-on oil filter 6 piece socket set is $120 off the truck, princess auto it's $20. The Mac/snap-on one comes in a red box whereas the princess auto one comes in a blue box. Sockets are identical down to the part numbers one them.

New guys always get hosed on the truck with shit like that. Tools don't make the tech, spend money wisely

Warranty work is always the worst. It's pretty common at place I worked to do warranty work for free basically.

I worked for freightliner for a while, you'd get paid about 50 hours to do a complete engine rebuild. Most of those rebuilds took about 120 hours though, if you knew what you were doing and you were working your ass off.

Like yeah....I'll just work 70 hours for you, hard fucking work mind you, for fucking free. Yeah...I'll get in line for that job.

I remember the tranny guy at the chevy shop I worked at was this nervous wreck of a guy. Little short dude with a limp who never stopped bitching about he constantly was getting fucked with tranny jobs, and the guy doing brakes all day was making like 5x the money and barely working.

One of the main reasons I'm not a tech anymore.

One of our guys got stuck doing a Camaro convertible top under warranty. Paid 7 hours, took him 5 days. Not because he's a shitty tech, because it was a shitty job.

Being a technician is a shitty job, which I'm sure OP doesn't want to hear but we were all eager young techs once that ignored the older guys saying get out of the trade. I wish I listened

I just got offered a job at a race shop that does mostly older bmw's and porsches. Being a GM guy I'm not sure how I'll like it but it pays hourly and pays well. Going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out I'm done with this trade!

its true they tranny guys were poor but they had a lot of character

>Being a technician is a shitty job, which I'm sure OP doesn't want to hear but we were all eager young techs once that ignored the older guys saying get out of the trade. I wish I listened

Yeah, really. It is a very shitty job. Not only is it some of the hardest work you can possibly do, it also pays shit.

Yeah yeah, we all heard the, "B-But I talk to a guy who knew a dude who he met at a party who said he worked for BMW rebuilding warp converters and he makes like $80,000 a month and gets blowjobs and drugs for free on his lunch breaks!" but i've never actually met a tech who made that much.

The other problem is you have to be a really bright guy to be a good tech anymore. And if you're that smart to be tech, you'd be way better off getting a degree and using your brain to something that pays way better.

Most techs I know who get out of it become security guards. They get paid less on paper, but end up making more because they don't have to buy their tools, and they don't have to do hardly anything.

And adding to what you said if you show that you're a bright tech you get saddled with the shittiest jobs imaginable!

I'm thinking about becoming a police officer if the whole race shop thing doesn't work out. $91,000 a year after 36months, plus benefits, pension and pay duties. Sign me up!

being a auto tech is the worst! the whole auto industry is a VERY GREEDY FEILD. i worked at a benz dealership for 4 (four) years. when ever i needed help with the job NOBODY wanted to help me out. nobody want to to teach you anything. they think if they teach you something you'll take their job. i wanted to move out of doing PDI's into doing regualr tech work but the manager didn't let me move up because i wasn't making them any money.(flat rate) everybody told me stay doing PDI's (easy money). i eventually quit because the new managers/owners wanted to old people out to bring in their own.

i got a job at a small independent shop but only lasted 2 weeks. it ran like TOTAL SHIT compared to a dealership. no service advisor or dispatcher. just one guy did everything (the owner/boss) they also had no parking lot so we parked everything in the street. he needed at rookie tech but he was a scumbag because i didnt know how to work on cars older then me. i even told him when he interviewed me "the dealer did not let me do tech work" but he was a POS. they made me feel so stupid just because i didnt know something I WAS NOT TAUGHT! the place was called "Kraft German Auto" fuck them and fuck the owner. that honkey pice of shit. he ripped people off no different then a dealership.

i do building maintenece in a condo and its fucking chill. i make less money but no more buying tools, going home with 35hours (guarantee time if i dont hit 40hours). all i do is sweep and mop floors, take out garbage, clean out empty apartments, help the handyman, etc. every chill the people are nice. small staff. fuck being a mechanic. the only mechanics who have it good are civil service workers. a old co-worker of mine works for NYPD as a mechanic. he makes 38 a hour and he LOVES IT! like most city jobs they are very comfy

They're all over the place on BMWs, and I think Honda uses them a lot too.

You probably shouldn't spend 5 grand on tools right away.

Holy shit homie I've never taken 120 hours to do an inframe. Are Detroits really that much harder? Guy I worked with rebuilt a Series 60 in like 4 days.

Get one of those digital tire inflators with a braided hose and long double nozzle to inflate spares still on the vehicle.

Invest in a 3/8" cordless impact gun with Lithium batteries. Put down on a nice Streamlite flashlight. Then decide as you go along.

So does Ferrari/Maserati, everything is 10,13,15,18 unless it's from another supplier (Brembo uses 9 and 11, Sachs uses 16, stuff like wiper motors and stereos use all sorts of wacky shit)

OP don't show up to the shop without one of these or they'll know you won't be able to cut it

It's not that bad of a job, you just have to like working 10hr days and weekends and eat, sleep, breathe piece of shit commuter cars/trucks all while dealing with hot and cold weather and constantly fighting to get the correct labor for the job.

Experience matters a shit ton in this field. Knowing how to get out of trouble and make repairs quickly and correctly is key. Years of hands on, on the job training is what makes a good tech, not a 2yr for profit college.