Rejection sticker

i dont come here very often, but i need your help. I went to get my car inspected today and failed only because of my headlights- my passenger side headlight was "out". What really happened is that it came lose and melted the casing. The guy at the inspection station told me i should get a whole new light housing, but I just taped the light into place (temporarily) so i could have two working headlights. If i go back to the same place, can he reject me again because my "repair" isnt good enough? thanks for the help

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VvFLZmVuqbw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump bc i need help

Yes he can. He can do whatever the fuck he wants unless you can do something about it, Faggot.

FIX
YOUR
FUCKING
CAR
PROPERLY.

Inspections happen for a reason. I'm so glad I live in a country that requires mandatory annual tests for any car over three years old.
And they're fucking strict, too. They even lift the car up to check for rust on the chassis and brakes.
And because I'm nice to my mechanics and treat them like human beings, they tell me what's going to wear out before the next test. Last year it was tires, this year it was brakes.

This. My car may be old, but it's properly maintained.

I have an emissions exemption for my project car, but it's not stock, and not my daily.

>Thank God Big Brother keeps me from being killed by some poor faggot with a damaged headlight housing
God I fucking hate all you pussies.

A headlight that melted due to an electrical short.
Fire hazard.

Enjoy your roads filled with deathtraps!

I will. Freedom over safety. I bet you hate gun ownership too.

OP said it came loose. New housing wouldn't change that. Tape actually might.

Go be a white knight somewhere logical.

OP should probably go to a different mechanic either way. Failing you for a light bulb instead of changing it right then and there (he didn't know the actual problem, step fucking one is to at least check) is a sign of a dick mechanic who will continue to fail it for stupid reasons, in my opinion.

>mfw living in a place that doesnt inspect cars at all

We only have inspections when you register a car, and it's fairly basic.

Will it physically hold together instead of rust apart? All the lights work? Tires and brakes at reasonable levels? No leaks in exhaust? Safety equipment still active and operable?

If yes to all of these, congratulations, it's a safe car.

Then you take it home, remove the exhaust and safety equipment, burnout your tires and kek all the way to the highway, never having a mechanic check it again.

OP said the bulb came loose. Try reading before you go spewing shit about whiteknights
*tip*

The bulb came loose because the housing didn't hold it in place properly. The housing is the issue.

OP also said temporary fix. Point remains that it's not a safety issue, especially short term. Fuses exist.

A bulb hitting the housing doesn't blow a fuse.
The wiring didn't come loose from the bulb.
The wiring didn't melt the housing.
I have no idea why you keep insinuating that the wiring melted the housing.

It is a massive safety issue to have one headlight bulb taped into the housing. That's why OP failed.

Bulb was out already. An unlit bulb doesn't start fires unless it gets shorted, hence fuses.

No, try again.
It came loose, melted the housing, and then 'burned' out due to the melted plastic all over the glass bulb housing.

The power going through a single headlight bulb wire can't melt a thick plastic housing.

Which part of that leads to it being a safety issue at the moment? Replace the bulb, reseat it in the housing, be on your way. There are no regulations or laws (here at least) that say you even need headlight enclosures; they govern the end result (X amount of light pointed properly etc). Make your own if you want. They have to be approved when sold for DOT, but after that, doesn't matter.

I've seen them made of Tupperware; is it as safe? Probably not. Is it a violation? Nope. Should that mechanic get more money because of this non violation? Certainly not. Is this going to kill you, your neighbor and his dog, or anybody else? Only you bitch about it.

Freedom over safety always.

Besides, there is a point in which vehicular inspections go from "make sure that this car wont kill you" to "if your car has aftermarket rims, or brakes, or coilovers, you fail".

Seriously, it happens very often. The power to eye over people can quickly become the power to manipulate people.

>The guy at the inspection station told me i should get a whole new light housing, but I just taped the light into place (temporarily) so i could have two working headlights. If i go back to the same place, can he reject me again because my "repair" isnt good enough?

The use of duct tape to hold a headlight in position is actually not a valid road worthy repair. While you consider it a "repair" because you did something, just because you "did something to make it usable" doesn't mean it is also a safe repair. You could have a lot of zip ties holding up a bumper, but he'd reject your car for that too.

OP's headlight house for the bulb already melted. So it is permanently damaged. An independent place can replace it especially if they are willing to work with a used part from a pick and pull. My stealership charges $550 for replacing my headlight housing for my 2016 chevrolet because an inspection fee is added. So that's not the place to go.

>tupperware
It is a violation at that point. That isn't a DOT approved housing. It also won't feature the prisms used to evenly distribute the light.

This is why I'm glad new york has yearly inspections, to keep obviously unsafe cars off the road. they're not expensive and they reduce risk for people who are shit about car maintenance.

>he doesnt want to drive a shitbox that leaks every fluid imaginable that he picked up for 200$ around and fuck shit up all day

Just buy them you weirdo. I have no airbags and this only cost me 50 bux.

NJSA Sec. 39:8-9. Enforcement; violations, penalties
>a. The enforcement of this chapter shall be vested in the director and the police or peace officers of any municipality, any county or the State.
>b. An owner or lessee who:
>[...]
>c. A person who fraudulently obtains a certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate, or displays or has in his possession a fictitious, altered, or stolen certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate shall be subject to a fine of $500 for each such certificate or sticker.

That actually got upped to $1,000 in 2012 by the state legislature, and now a subsequent offense can carry up to 90 days of jail time.

These are just unissued. It's impossible to get caught.

Ha. People like you are why they are putting automatic license plate recogntion cameras on cop cars.
>cop sits on the side of the road eating a donut
>you pass
>camera scans your plate, looks up in database, sees no valid inspection
>disco lights
>$500 ticket without trying

They also have serial numbers that a cop could look up while passing (much less likely to get caught then the above, but still possible).

>Inspections

here
If you don't realize how easy it is for a cop to patrol a parking lot with ALPR:
youtube.com/watch?v=VvFLZmVuqbw

It's actually a major civil liberties concern, since traffic data of passing cars is often stored indefinitely in an indexed DB, but catching morons like you (non-revoked plate, no current inspection) is prime territory for these types of systems paying for themselves.