Ctrl-f subaru "phrase not found"

ctrl-f subaru "phrase not found"

Subaru Thread

Has anybody swapped an FA20 into older Impreza models yet? The engine seems really nice (and more modern than the EJ25) but the exterior of the current WRX STI is horrible.

Hi, Veeky Forums
My wife and I both have a rash on our vaginas and I think it may be the seats in our 2008 Subaru Outback. Has anyone else had this problem?

I got this here 2002 subaru legacy, has 111k miles in it so far. I need to buy a roof rack for it to haul snow stuff for snowboarding, might mount a cb radio inside, then hopefully get a custom bumper.

Can't do much now because I gotta buy tires for it

>ctrl-f
Tell me, why not just F3?

you should mount snow tires or all weathers on a cheap set of rims or steelies and then mount road tires on a set of 16s or 17s. These cars really come alive with a good set of tires.

I think I will suffice with all season, I don't have a lot of shekels to spare for good goy tire shops. I'm buying cooper cs3's on tread depot, 63 bucks a tire I'm set. Then I'll pay them to mount the tires.

Honestly I think snow tires is a marketing ploy to spend more money. I can survive with just all seasons.

>like subaru looks
>like subaru awd
>like subaru interior
>like subaru features
Then they had to fuck it up with a flat engine
Thats why ill never buy one

What's bad about flat engines? The only thing that comes to my mind is the impracticality for stuff like headgasket changes.

>two head gaskets
>complicated timing system
>twice as many leaks
>difficult to service
>they never make as much NA power as they could or should
>turbo ones blow up constantly
Honestly if subaru made an I4. I would have bought it. Its too late now though since they are all pigfat.

Sounds like a nightmare. EJ to EJ swaps are relatively easy since it's the same family of engines, but you're gonna need a custom crossmember since it's probably not going to bolt up to an older car (like the turbo EJ crossmember will on an NA EJ car), the transmission also probably won't bolt up, and there's most likely no documentation yet on how to merge the wiring harnesses, which is overwhelmingly the hardest part. Most people doing EJ to EJ swaps just commission someone like iWire to do it but they're probably going to want a fuckton more money to figure it out for you since it hasn't been done before.

You'll save a LOT of money and headaches just upgrading an EJ257 with forged pistons and rods to fix the ringland issue and swapping that in. It's already heavily documented and there are tons of people online that could help you out.

Subarus are cool.

Just did the 100k service on my outback, ran a compression test, tore apart the turbo to check out prop play.

Little worried about the ringlands though.

What's the best hipster Subaru? Subaru that isn't any version of Impreza (2.5RS WRX STI)

Forester XT

svx

All seasons are a marketing ploy if anything. They're good at nothing, and make faggots like you who have AWD think that they can do anything in the winter.

I like the Subaru aztec myself

>low center of gravity
>opposed cylinders cancel out vibrations
The former isn't as relevant with the newer models but I think it's worth it. Maintainence isn't too tricky if you know what you're doing, but I'll admit it's not for everyone

The turbos only blow up constantly because of hat people do to them. If left alone or modded by someone who isn't a knuckle dragging idiot they'll do fine. I clean for a guy who had a Bugeye WRX with 227k miles, and all he's had to do was oil, timing belts, and other basics because he didn't mod it.

> I'm an idiot, the post

Ringlands are just a meme outside of the early 2000s 2.5 NA engines.

This, or the Baja Turbo with manual trans.

Honestly the Aztek did nothing wrong and there is literally nothing wrong with modeling off of it.

Just get a cobb stage 1 tune, or do their stage 2 upgrade and tune for stage 2 snd it will help reduce the potential chance of ringland failure, it's mainly a tuning issue. Also don't lug the car at low revs into boost, just downshift first. That and gut your oil feed line of the filter and you should have nothing to worry about

Uhhh no, early engines had more headgasket issued. The 2.5 Sohc has hg issues while the later 2.5 turbos suffer from ringland failure

Any idiot who tells you subarus are difficult to service probably doesn't know shit about cars and gets his oil changed at Walmart.
I can literally pull a motor out and have it taken apart in 2 hours and put back together running in another 4. There's only 4 bolts holding that entire engine in the car. Just as easy as old air cooled volkswagen engines. I've bought and sold multiple subarus and never had any difficulty servicing any of them

Checked, also yes. The new the Subaru the worse the vag rash gets

Are you the faggot telling him how to avoid ringland issues by tuning his car? That will cause more problems.

Any idiot who tells you any car is difficult to service probably doesn't know shit about cars and gets his oil changed at Walmart.
I can literally pull a motor out and have it taken apart in 2 hours and put back together running in another 4. There's only 4 bolts holding most engines in a car. Just as easy as old air cooled volkswagen engines. I've bought and sold multiple cars and never had any difficulty servicing any of them

1983 5 speed swapped 1.8 turbo fuel injected GL. Has way over 200k miles (odometer stopped working years ago) and still gets driven through the mountains in Washington with working 4×4. Minimal maintenance.

Any idiot who tells you any car is difficult to service probably doesn't know shit about cars and gets his oil changed at Walmart.
I can literally pull a motor out and have it taken apart in 2 hours and put back together running in another 4. There's only 4 bolts holding most engines in a car. Just as easy as old air cooled volkswagen engines. I've bought and sold multiple cars and never had any difficulty servicing any of them

I'm desperately looking for a 2006/2007 WRX with low KMs.

I've been checking kijiji multiple times every day for the past few weeks. Hell, I'd even settle for an older model if it was in good condition. I don't want to rice it or blow it up with retarded mods or anything, I just want a fun AWD turbo car to drive around.

I neeeeeeeeeed itttttt

I'm in Nova Scotia by the way AKA Rust City

Turbo 1.8 engine with original heads still running. There isn't even a timing belt in this damn motor. Indestructible

Every WRX ad ever

>"Perfect condition 2002 WRX for sale, used as a family car [LADY DRIVEN], never abused"
>"Stock except for a couple of mods [COBB STAGE 3, LOWERED, MUFFLER DELETE, STI EVERYTHING, 80PSI OF BOOST]
>"Only 30,000km! (**360,000 on the body)"
>$12,000, fairly firm on the price
>No test pilots

Did the US ever get an STi wagon?

They're not "difficult", but some things are absolutely more awkward to work on than with other cars.

Even doing typically quick and easy things like changing spark plugs/leads takes far more time and effort than virtually any other engine configuration, my hands aren't especially huge but I can't even physically get to them in my Forester without loosening the mounts and jacking the motor up as well as removing the airbox and battery etc

Your car is sex

>far more time and effort than virtually any other engine configuration

you ever changed the sparkplugs on a FWD transverse mounted V6?

FUCK YOU.

No

Not the same user, but I had to change the spark plugs on my parents' Chevy Traverse and Jesus fucking Christ

You have to pull the intake manifold off to reach the rear plugs and even then there's barely enough room to pull the fuckers out with a decent-sized socket wrench

that makes me sad.

>no you can't have any of these fun cars from overseas
>have these hilariously underpowered, poor build quality shitboxes instead! they're safer!

>you ever changed the sparkplugs on a FWD transverse mounted V6?

Heh, routinely.

Although i'm sure there are nastier examples as the Magna is easy as fuck.

You should hear it rev through the gears haha. The thing sounds so good straight piped with cherry bomb muffler. Interior quality better than early 2000s Honda too.

I think I want a tube bumper for my GT.

Beautiful, man

My dad used to drive an old Loyale (new at the time I guess) when I was a kid, so these older subarus really take me back

My old Baja

Sexy

does the first one say Sup' bra ?
dope

Stop posting this, the only thing they have in common is 4 wheels and being painted orange.

So im trying to find a rear bumper for my 97 Impreza pain in the ass and cant seem to find the same year one was wondering what year fits upto it 04 right?

In the US the first gen Impreza was 93-01. Wagon and sedan rear bumpers are different.

Thanks.

>tfw 2017 Outback
>tfw paddle shifters to allow for simulated manual mode on a CVT

You sure did EASY MODE with that one. My Taurus needed its intake manifold taken off, which compared to just applying a bit of jack to the bottom of the engine a la boxer is rather dumb and harrowing.

It would be wonderful is Subaru went back to slapping turbochargers on the Outbacks.

>implying he lives in a snowy climate
Fuck off snow cuck

That's why we don't by V configurated engines
>inline engine a best

New wrxs look good. Before 2015 they looked like shitty toyotas from the 80s.

80s Toyata is my favorite.

Winter in Iowa is about 3-4 months, so no big deal in terms of snow climate. I had all season Bridgestone on my hhr, and it did fine being a fwd Gm shit box. I only bought front, the rear were still bald but with hectic skidz, anything is possible.

>have 2003 outback legacy
>notice temp gauge swinging wildly
>coolant low, refill doesn't fix problem
>no other problem, no check eng light, runs fine, must be sensor
>take to mechanic for new sensor
>user, you have a cracked coolant hose! You've been driving with a bone-dry radiator for 6 months!
>Oh shit.jpg Its gonna cost a fortune to replace the radi-
>Theres no damage, just replace the hose and refill.
>this was 5 years ago and its still going

If I cut off the head gasket of another subaru do I gain its power?

>2nd gen outback gasket issues

It's impressive how long mine lasted despite the mechanics pessimistic predictions. The worst thing is that it was VERY slowly leaking coolant and oil. So slow that regular oil changes and coolant refills once every few months sufficed. I traded it in and got a 2017, but i really do miss how comfy it was.

Anyone have the wrx cobb accessport? Any experience or tips using? They aren't that pricey so i was wondering if they're worth it

I just got my subie back yesterday after it being at the bodyshop for a month and a half. It's so weird going from a '92 explorer that can't get out of it's own way to something that's halfway decent and fun to drive.

How does one going about lifting and turning your car into an offroad machine? What about the speed sensor with the larger tires? Does lifting it put any undue stress on the suspension parts? How does AWD actually compare to 4WD offroad?

They're basically the gateway to tuning.

It will let you download pre-made or user-made ECU programming from the internet and flash it to your car. If you just buy the accessport then you will be limited to a "Stage 1" tune that will simply maximize the power output from your stock components. Most people will say this is worth the price of admission.

If you want to start physically upgrading the car, then the accessport is pretty much a requirement. Any change to the car should have an accompanying change in ECU programming in order to take full advantage of it. Screwing around with the engine without changing your car's programming can lead to damage.

You can also download some non-performance oriented ECU maps like ones designed to maximize fuel economy.

Not who you responded to, but my car has 230k on the stock motor and trans. Is there any risk of something breaking if I use the accessport and flash the performance map to my ecu?

C..can I join guys?

Yes, I fucking love those cars, Specially the big SUBARU in red on the boot.

Only if I can too

Where's your wing

>How does one going about lifting and turning your car into an offroad machine? What about the speed sensor with the larger tires? Does lifting it put any undue stress on the suspension parts? How does AWD actually compare to 4WD offroad?

OK so, first step is looking for off road / lift springs. Been so long since I looked but I think there's a place called primitive racing that makes them. They actually have a reasonably well written guide as well, if I remember right. Anyways, google is your friend.

Spacers... try to avoid them if at all possible but be aware that a spacer can get you that extra 1/2 inch or so to get some extra clearance.

Tires... your speedo will get fucked up & there's just no way around that if you alter the factory aspect ratios. Probably what limits you is the wheel arches more than anything. TL;DR Don't expect to run nasty huge tires.

Undue stress... that depends on how you use it. Lifting does alter the angles that your driveshafts have to reach, which does put a lot more wear on them. Generally speaking there is a limit to how much your can lift before it all goes totally pear-shaped.

And finally AWD vs 4WD... it's actually not that bad off road. Your biggest disadvantages:
1- no transfer case so no low range.
2- no locking diffs
both of which are easily overcome by having good tires and your head on straight.

You're not going to make it into a rock crawler ever, but you can certainly make a pretty kickass offroad vehicle with a Subaru.

Don't forget, since your ground clearance is lower than most trucks or jeeps @ a stock height, skid plates and bash guards are VITAL.

I'm not an expert, but I think a lot of it depends on how well maintained your car is. The stock cobb maps are pretty sensible and won't destroy a normal engine. Most people who fry their car are running way too much boost or doing stupid shit.

Mine's afraid of heights.

>How does one going about lifting and turning your car into an offroad machine?

By doing literally that? Getting a lift kit to raise the suspension, fitting more offroad bias tires etc

>What about the speed sensor with the larger tires?

It'll throw the speedo off, in my case it's 6 miles slow, just check it against a GPS/Phone Speedo and take that into consideration.

>Does lifting it put any undue stress on the suspension parts?

You replace/upgrade most of the suspension parts that would be stressed in the process of lifting it.

>How does AWD actually compare to 4WD offroad?

Lack of locking diffs is the biggest draw back, but for the most part they're perfectly capable, decent traction control, LSD's, low range etc

What about late 90's Legacy wagons?

Thanks for all the advice. Are lift kits as simple as bolt on plug&play? Is there a "progression line" that one should follow when modifying a car for offroad? Seems a little silly to drive around town on a lifted car with none of the supporting mods. What's wrong with spacers? How do I find out what surfaces the AWD is good to go over? I've driven 4WD before through mud and sand and that was easy. Is it just experience to see a surface and gauge if you can drive over it or not?

I bought my car a little over a year ago and it had a piss poor (read: none) maintenance history. I've brought everything up to date, valves, timing and accessory belts, plugs, regular oil changes, injector cleaner. But my engine does burn oil at high RPMs. Is there anyway to know if pushing 30 more hp would be the stick that breaks the camels back?

I got one of those too. Best wagon

This, truly based

It would appear someone summoned the wagons

>hoodscoop
>no intercooler

The folklore behind that is that they were ending production in Japan of the second gen in 1997 (since their 3rd gen started in 1998) and they had already stamped too many of the scooped hoods by accident so they just slapped them on the USDM 2.5 models starting in 1997.

Believe it if you want, but I'm not mad at all since it makes the WRX swap I'm doing that much easier. Don't have to worry about paying out the ass shipping over a hood from Japan and getting it painted, it just already has one.

Why are they so cheap? I kind of want one too, it's a shitty crossover but i really like there looks of them.

Or re-rout an intercooler.
They aren't that great for drag.

FMICs aren't really feasible on second gens, you have to cut up the bumper beam and I don't want to do that.

thanks senpai

This. I'm hoping to do an STI swap in the near future so it's cool that I already have the hood scoop for the TMIC