Burning oil

My car is burning a quart of oil nearly every week and i suspect its the piston rings.

I dont have the money to fix it and i dont have the skill to do it myself. Would it be bad for my engine to just keep driving the car for another coupke years refilling the oil every couple weeks? Its either that or sell it. Pic related, my engine.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsdirect.com/car-repair/symptoms-of-fried-piston-rings
youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8XMIXb8Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=YnV7FjLLt2s
honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/how-tell-if-valve-seals-piston-rings-bad-2314064/
consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What makes you so sure it's not valve stem seals

You could but I think your valves are gonna get gunked up.

Nothing, im just trying to prepare for the scenario. How much do valve stem seals cost on average to replace? Is it possible to diy?

you should do some kind of research to see if its a common problem first. if it happens, its probably not just you.

Both are very possible to diy depending on skill. I had my machinist do mine because I had him work/check my head. Idk what BMW valve stem seals go for but I got mine in an entire gasket set for like 150.

You mean common problem as in burning oil? I brought it to the mechanic regarding it and they prettt much told me theres no leak and not to worry about it, even though i told them how much i was going through. Im going to another mechanic next week to get it diagnosed/get a quote

well yeah see what other bmw owners have to do about it

>i suspect its the piston rings.
based upon what symptoms?

It actually never occured to me to look up who else had the same problem with my model, turns out a lot of people so thanks. People have said it was the oil seperator, crank shaft, intake valve. One guy even said his mechanic recommended drilling a hole in the oil cap, although im not gonna do that. Bmw actually says that a quart >1000 miles is normal but ehh. At least now i know more stuff to ask the mechanic to check.

Oh wait. That reminds me, BMWs are notorious for burning oil and BMW sees nothing wrong with that.

>Bmw actually says that a quart >1000 miles is normal
Funny how they only say that in the fine print.

It's never "just valve stem seals". This is poorfag logic. Hoping for a cheaper fix. It's almost always the rings.

I shouldve worded the post differently. When i researched oil burning and found piston rings to be one of the most expensive causes i immediately thought "fuck its probably that". So i dont have anything to substantiate my suspicion (or rather paranoia) im just trying to prepare for the worst. I honestly know very very little about cars.

A big part of me regrets buying a bmw now, it was way too impulsive and i didnt research nearly enough. If its rings ill try and trade it for a beat up volvo

>My car is burning a quart of oil nearly every week and i suspect its the piston rings.

As long as you know how to remove and replace spark plugs without dropping stuff inside your engine, remove one when the engine has cooled down. Don't cross-thread the engine's threads when replacing the plug.

carsdirect.com/car-repair/symptoms-of-fried-piston-rings

youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8XMIXb8Jw

How to do a compression test:
youtube.com/watch?v=YnV7FjLLt2s

honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/how-tell-if-valve-seals-piston-rings-bad-2314064/

>this b8

But these links are about Hondas, not BMWs.

Doesn't mean you cannot learn from them. Honda's have piston rings that can leak and a DIY home compression test is a compression test.

Go die autismo.

Depends on year of the car. If pic related, not cheap unless you do it yourself. Head has to come off unless you're not pic related and have an n62/63. We have a tool where only the valve cover has to come off.

And they are right for their engines. Nothing is wrong with the engine OP, so relax and enjoy the car.

As it's pic related, your pcv valve is probably fucked.

keep refilling oil, you'll never need an oil change!

bimp

>Nothing is wrong with the engine
It burns a quart of oil per week.

>m54

Change the Valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing gasket. That's exactly how much oil I was leaking when my gaskets died.

About a 40 dollar fix for both if you know how to wrench

>leaking
Engine looks clean. Any stains on the driveway OP?

Top of the engine looks fine but it leaks into the belly pan. Causes a huge mess, I didn't figure out where it was leaking from until much later.

Further more at a quart per week OP would be smoking like a diesel engine if he were burning it all.

>mfw I bought a toyota

SELL YOUR BMW.

DO NOT DISCLOSE OIL PROBLEM

BUY A TOYOTA OR 2 TOYOTAS

>yfw Toyota is not immune to oil leaks

Yet another reason beemers are a trash meme car

As if the fact that 99% of them are driven by douchebag mcgee wasn't bad enough

>posts on Veeky Forums
>doesn't know the difference between beamer and bimmer
>doesn't know that BMWs are fun to drive
>doesn't know that all manufacturers have ridiculous maintenance schedules to save shekels out of warranty

Damn son you sure are stupid.

I can do all the maintainance and repairs myself. OP probably could too, if he had a toyota.

consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

BMW may claim that burning a quart every 6-700 miles is perfectly normal, and you may believe it. But most people have driven other cars that consume very little oil.

>bmws are fun to drive

I'm sure they are , when you're pulling into your high-school parking lot wearing your new Raybans you got for your birthday.

Kys desu

For those four shit posts you've made an entire dollar for your shillbux

How does it feel to be rich? I don't want to buy your shitty cubical shuttle though.

>implying you don't have an e36

What the fuck is wrong with an E36?

It's shit lol

Lmfao

Nothing, but kids think they are hot shit in them when they have about the class of a Civic and aren't any faster

Have you tried a heavier oil?

Pic related is the same as my engine, but i got that pic of google images. Mechanic said it wasnt leaking.

Valve Cover Gasket + OSV (Oil Separator Valve Assembly + Hoses) will give you that kind of oil consumption. Went from 1qt/1500 miles to zero oil consumption after changing them on a E36 M3

BRING
MY
WALLET

BROKEN
MONEY
WASTER

>OSV (Oil Separator Valve Assembly + Hoses)
Isn't this supposed to reduce oil consumption on these things?

If it goes bad its not different from a bad PCV valve on any other car.

Its a cyclonic separator very similar to a catch can that's under the intake manifold. Hoses tend to rot out and crack too so you should replace them.

(You)

B M DOUBLE(YOU)

And Honda engine =/= BMW engine, the principle of the repair itself makes sense but putting it into practicality doesn't.

For OP, for your BMW it's going to be extremely expensive either way to get the problem fixed. There is a wet compression test you can do by first unplugging a ignition coil or disabling your fuel pump by taking out the fuse/relay, running your engine till it dies out, take out a spark plug, rent a compression test kit from autozone, do a dry compression test and see what your PSI is. Note it, then pull out the compression tester, squirt a little bit of oil in the cylinder, and retest the compression. If the compression value is a lot higher than the initial dry test, your rings are fucked m8. Otherwise you need to take your car into the shop to test valve seats because the backass tooling BMW requires you to invest it in is a lot more expensive for a one-time use.

Coming from another BMW owner, STFU and read the fucking links

Holy shit are you stupid.