How to git gud a driving automatics?

I am fairly new to driving and have only driven cars with manual transmissions.
Now I want to learn how to drive an automatic, my license allows me to this but my only experience with them is riding shotgun twice.

>What do I have to know?
>What are the common mistakes for a beginner?
>I have heard that that you can accidently slam the brake and cause an accident, how do I avoid this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rmjdIFUByzo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

D is forward.
Engage handbrake, let it set, THEN put it in Park.
Do not move your left foot, I have almost done the go-for-the-clutch thing myself. Do not shift from D to R or vice versa while the car is in motion just because it lets you.

Is putting it in P the same as when you put a manual car in first gear while parking?

i've never heard this
>you can accidently slam the brake and cause an accident
or this
>Engage handbrake, let it set, THEN put it in Park.

The output is basically the same. When you put it in P a lever mechanically blocks gears in the transmission so the output shaft can't move.

>brake
I drove my mom's car once and blew out a brake line because I went to slam the clutch.
It was an automatic.

>Step 1: Turn engine on
>Step 2: Place mouth over exhaust pipe
>Step 3: Breath deeply
>Step 4: Repeat step 3 as needed until clinically dead

that's retarded because the brake in an auto is still positioned for your right foot even if it's the left pedal

unless you usually do some racecar left foot braking shit in your manual shitbox

Just never touch the stick if the car is moving (yeah you can go from N to D and vice versa but you don't actually need that).
Never move your left foot.

Steer as you'd normally do and enjoy the ride in boringtown.

I did this with a rental car. Took off from a light and my left foot went right to the brake pedal. Locked them up and scared the shit out of the guy behind me.

if you are used to manual and you do not think about it the left foot goes to the closest thing it feels is usual, which is the closest pedal, which is the brake

Do I have to put in the handbreak when parking an automatic or can I just leave it in P?
When I'm parking a manual vehicle on a flat surface i just put it in first gear and thats it.

It was a sideways brake. I hit the edge of it, where a clutch would've been.

Pic semi related.

Brake pedals in autos are wider. You can definitely clip the side of them if you instinctively press your clutch foot.

Putting it just in P wears the parking prawl.

Put the handbrake, always, manual or auto. Just do it.

You can slam the brake by accident with your left foot, which is trained to use clutch. To avoid this emember to use only your right foot to operate the pedals, while driving an AT you don't use your left foot at all.

Don't change gears too often. When you want to start driving put it in D and don't change it till you want to go in reverse or park. When you stop on a red light just keep the brake pushed.

That's pretty much all I can say, every retard can drive an automatic.

>Only use your right foot to brake and accelerate, nobody likes a two feet driver
>D is forward R is backward
>Some autos have manual mode (Without clutch) and it feels weird
>Neutral gear is mostly useless
>Park is sufficient (Only use handbrake when parking on an incline)
>Some autos have the option of 1,2,3 as a selection, all this does it keep the car in that corresponding gear

Have fun driving your new Auto, you can now do the important things in life like drink a can of redbull while driving more easily.

first few times I drove an auto I just kept my left foot over my right leg so I wouldn't slam the brakes, you might wanna do that.

There is a place you can rest your left foot m8.

not this user, but if you are used to driving a MT you might slam the brakes thinking it's the clutch if you don't tuck your left foot away

I know but in a MT the clutch is on the left and brake in the middle.

Most autos have this fake pedal where you can rest your foot.

If you do slam brakes by accident beside being rear ended what could go wrong?

>How to git gud a driving automatics?
Find out what lever position, switch combo gets you a certain gear and then shift the fuck out of that cocksucker

Brakes might lock up and you will look like a fool etc.

A fake pedal? Like with the lever and all?

Like it add that's only if the car is non ABS

No, just this thing that looks like a pedal, it's just to rest your foot literately.

Here, I found a image to illustrate my point.

Driving is a very automated process for the human brain, if you aare used to operating a clutch, you might subconciously press down on the nearest thing to your left foot, which would be the break.
MT cars also have a footrest, you don't just leave your foot on the clutch. If you want to change gears you move your foot to the right, which could lead to the scenario mentioned above.

>blew out a brake line
What kind of shitbox did she drive? Even under maximum braking it should never blow a brake line or anything else.

it's a footrest, lmao
>""""""dead pedal"""""

Wow never seen or heard about that. AT aren't common at all in Italy, but still.
I thought you were referring to the normal side space where you always keep the left foot, so it sounded weird calling it pedal.

that is a dead pedal, the footrest is more to the left and part of the "floor" (sorry for bad englando herp derp)

It will creep forward even if you don't press the throttle, so keep a foot on the brake if you want to stay stopped.

I suppose this is probably a troll thread anyway, so enjoy all your replies.

As far as I know every newer car has foot rest.

>MT cars also have a footrest,
I only use it when i'm in 6th on the highway and I know i'm not going to be shifting for miles. around town i never use the dead pedal.

switching from MT to AT really isn't that hard, just drive it for a few minutes and you'll get used to it

Also it'll stay right where it is if you take your foot off the brake when you are stopped and on the uphill.

The footrest is actually there for performance drive more than anything. Your foot stays pinned to it and you use it to balance your body during corners and heavy braking.

While DD your left foot can realistically stay wherever the fuck you want, be it out the window or on the clutch.

>>What do I have to know?
Don't.

>>What are the common mistakes for a beginner?
Owning and driving one

>>I have heard that that you can accidentally slam the brake and cause an accident, how do I avoid this?
Don't slam the brakes on.

It's not a troll thread, I do not intend to switch to AT, but I thought it would be a useful skill to have for rental cars and such

It's not a skill man, it's just manual without the clutch and the stick. You literally just press the faster button and the slower button while steering. NOTHING more.

OP does not know how to drive an automatic without being retarded and you want him to drive a manual?

Once you go AT, you probably won't go back to manual.

Has happened to everyone I've known, it's just more convenient.

>Now I want to learn how to drive an automatic

Ew gross.

Just subtract your knowledge of the transmission.

1. Make sure car is stopped before selecting any gear.
2. D is forward R is reverse
3. There is always slight power going to wheels in these gears because torque converter.
4. Only use right foot cause no fun pedal.

5. Oh and then kill yourself.

>not renting manual and doing all sorts of things you'd never do to your own car
youtu.be/rmjdIFUByzo

OP here, manual cars are the norm where I live. All the driving I have done in my life was in a manual car and I would say that I'm quite competent at it. I just have no experience with automatics

don't do what i did and forget you're driving automatic and try to use the column shifter like a manual shifter in a moment of airheadedness and almost break your shit

i have both, my automatic is a "better" car but i drive in heavy congested traffic to and from work and i much prefer the manual for the shit commute

If the car stalls or dies, you have to take it out of gear to start it. As in, put it in park

I had been dding a car with a "racing" clutch (strong as hell) so my left leg had a good bit of force.
Her car is a Hyundai (07) Elantra.

>my license allows me to this
UKuck?

Most autos require you to have your foot on the brake to select gears

Germanfag

>puts car in first when parked
Use Second,pussy.

which is the footrest many cars have over where the clutch would be.

>putting your car in any gear when parking
dumb unless on incline

1. Put car in D to go forward, R to go backwards, P to not move
2. Never use neutral unless your shit breaks
3. Never use hand break unless you're on an extreme incline
4. Don't move your left foot unless you're getting out of the car

So easy a normie can do it.

One thing not mentioned yet is learning how your car drives. You need to work in tandem with your ECU to drive an auto to it's full potential.
For example, driving my car 2 weeks passively results in low revs and slow take-offs. Should I drive quickly and aggressively for a few days, I'll see the car waiting to shift more often or downshifting when I need it to. Once the ECU has learned your driving habits and you know the quirks of it, you can push it to it's limits. Once you drive a car enough (and are aware of it), you'll understand what your car is trying to do and you'll both react to each other appropriately.
It's quite endearing, really.

N is to charge the transmission up.
Before you start moving you have to put it in N, floor the gas, then quickly without removing your foot slam it into D.

In 22 years of driving I've never actually hit the brake looking for a clutch. Even with the larger pedal it is not in the right position. If anything you stomp the air to the left of the brake, then chuckle at your stupidity for trying to clutch.

Because most people you know are numales like you or sucker mums who really dont know shit about driving. Unless its a dct then its shit

Rev it up like bang bang bang then drop it in D for maximum respect

This. "N" is like the kinetic energy selector.
>the very moment after the WTC neutral dumped

I haven't used the handbrake while parking for almost 2 years now. If I left the handbrake on for a while (over an hour) it would lurch/screech when I got back in the car and took the handbrake off.
It sounded almost like something was sticking or melding if I left it on for a while, and then when I took off that bind would be ripped apart.
It was an unsettling screech-type sound. Is that bad? How should I fix it?

Only time I would EVER drive an auto is for heavy traffic areas. Gear changing is a PITA for that.

I hardly ever drive automatics, and had to learn to deal with them in a hurry when my mother wanted me to drive her somewhere in her new car.
It was a horrible experience, and I vowed never to own one.
It's even worse of an experience with an industrial-strength box in a van. I can cope with a clutch, but an autobox AND trying to drive something fuckhuge and with over a meter of rear overhang? Not easy.

>You need to work in tandem with your ECU to drive an auto to it's full potential.

As opposed to driving a manual, where you just... Change gears when you want the gear changed.