What is the advantage of having LSD in a FWD car? Wouldn't you lose grip and understeer in every corner under load?

What is the advantage of having LSD in a FWD car? Wouldn't you lose grip and understeer in every corner under load?

No, LSDs improve grip

There is understeer when both wheels break loose. This is controllable and very manageable. This is at a much higher throttle input than going through a corner with a open diff and trying to keep the inner wheel from spinning.

Overall there is more grip and faster cornering.

It's dangerous to be under the infulence of LSD while driving any car OP
fucking retards I swear

Which FWD car has lsd?

Without the ability for the differential to slip, if a wheel loses grip it will spin up (because it is free to move) and the other wheel will lose power. With some slip available, then the wheel with traction will have a larger share of the available power.

Doesn't the speed3 have one?

I know for a fact the 3rd gen maxima se was available with a viscous lsd

Newer Civic SI has a Helical, or "Torsen" style LSD. It's quite nice in the snow.

This is a Corey thread you retards, don't reply.

>Wouldn't you lose grip and understeer in every corner under load?
You mean like every FWD car?

My infiniti i30 has LSD

>implying everything regarding fwd has to be trolling

i've been wondering about this recently too, and i'm not one of these "fwd vs rwd" retards

Cobalt SS has one too

Kill yourself. I was genuinely wondering.

more traction, less torque steer.

>Wouldn't you lose grip and understeer in every corner under load?
I think you're confusing LSD with traction control, or lack thereof.

LSD makes wheels spin at the same speed, meaning that they lose traction easier, no? Or am I retarded?

when you race a FWD beater, theres likely to be one or two corners on a track where you cant carry any speed and just have to throttle out while still steering. this is death for a FWD, even an underpowered one. thats just about the only time you really need one or will notice its existence, unless you have a lot of power and get wheelspin in a lot more corners. i dont think a 2-way (locks under decel) would have any place in a FWD.

It makes it harder to lose traction, instead putting all your power out one wheel, over powering the tires ability to grip, its dividing that power into both wheels.

No, it limits the speed differential by controlling the rotation of the axles. It doesn't just lock up, that's a locking differential.

An LSD lets you have something between fully open and a solid axle.

Also no Limited Slip means exactly that, it limits the slip, allowing both wheels to turn under power, but doesn't entirely divide it 50/50 in a turn.

Thanks, that cleared it up a bit.

it's precisely opposite actually
when one of the wheel loses traction an LSD will deliver that power to the one that has traction instead of splitting power 50/50

somebody who knows their shit can take advantage out of that, in novice hands this will make him fuck up even more and possibly end up make him spin the car

also, that's why it's impossible to start moving with an lsd if you are on a slippery road because when both wheels lose traction the power won't be delivered to any of them

>when one of the wheel loses traction an LSD will deliver that power to the one that has traction instead of splitting power 50/50

Unless you have an active, or electronic LSD traditional ones don't do that, they simply split the power and provide near lock up under certain conditions.

If you have one wheel not getting traction it still gets power, however the opposite wheel is getting power as well.

That's more like torque vectoring.

In a FWD open diff car, if you accelerate and turn at a reasonable speed, the inside front tire wants to come off the ground while the outside one is pushed into it. When the torque from the engine turns the wheels, it first turns the wheel that's being lifted, causing it to rob the outside wheel of power it could better put to the ground.
Not to mention, the inside wheel necessarily pulls the car to the outside of the corner, resulting in understeer.

Get an ATB diff for FWD, ala Quaife, etc. Just do it, don't ask questions. Anything else is useless in FWD, but an ATB is godly for FWD shitboxes.

Integra type r, civic type r

no torque steer.

I believe you're confusing an LSD with a welded differential (popular in drift builds)

I drive a RWD car myself I was just wondering
The idea of an LSD is a medium between open and 100%LSD (welded) diff, right? Anyways thanks everyone, it's all clear now

It's Semantics yes, however a Welded diff would be known as a no slip differential.

Corey just gets obsessed with some aspect of fwd cars like wheelbase, or currently, LSDs.

where im at its just called a spool

I genuinely think he's autistic

no it's an act

Is wavetrac good