Fumoto oil drain valves

Anyone have any experience with these? Thinking about getting one.

Sounds good. When I worked at a shop I remember so many fucked up pans caused from the apes wrenching on them. This will be foolproof.

Never used one myself hut everyone I know who has used one says they all eventually end up leaking.

Sullair puts them on their CAT powered compressors from the factory. Some of the machines I've changed oil on have well over 20k hours and i don't think i have ever seen one of those valves leak, I would trust them absolutely on a vehicle.

So you rotate that arm sticking out and the valve opens? Is there a safety catch to prevent road debris from moving that arm?

Yes, you can buy a metal or plastic safety clip for a couple dollarydoos to put over it.

The arm also has to be lifted up and over against a spring to be opened, the OP pic is in the open position.

No oil change shop would touch these if your car had one

Ok so how will they drain the oil? Telepathy???

No they simply decline the service.
Declined many butt mad ricer fags for having this on their car.

>implying I would take my car to an oil change shop
I'm not letting an underpaid grease monkey in high school touch my car when I'm already an underpaid grease monkey in college that already has all the tools and knowhow.

Not to mention that if I do it myself I can get synthetic oil and a good filter for cheaper than the price to get someone else to use conventional oil and a shit filter for me.

Well I decline them in the past. Now working at a dealership I service my car for free.

Lazy as fuck.

Also you know highschool kids can't work at shops right? Too much liability. Also you choose what oil you want. Don't assume everyone puts mineral oil into your car at a shop. You want synthetic they got you synthetic

Yeah ok nigger that seems like a fairytale or something that you do at your dads shop because your daddy owns the place and you have a higher than deserved sense of self importance.

Why do you abhor if it just saves you labor and you can charge the same for an oil change?

Yeah they have it, but for much more than buying a 5qt jug and filter off the shelf.

I work at a walmart oil change center right now, you can get conventional pennzoil and a shitty recycled FRAM filter for $30 out of the shop, or do it yourself and grab a jug of castrol/mobil1 synthetic off the shelf for $22 and go to oreillys and get a Wix filter for ~$8. If you want synthetic from the shop side it'll run you $45, or $55 if it's not on rollback at the time. Literally twice as much.

Listen here fag I didn't work at an independent shop that my "dad" owned. I worked at Walmart as a oil changer

I could decline cars for any reason I wanted too and I did.
>decline cars for fumoto valves
>decline cars who had the wrong sized nut head example a 14 mm head on a Honda
>decline cars with bungee corded or chained down hoods
>declined all Mercedes Benz and BMW or any car that didn't have a dipstick
>declined anyone that wanted a certain oil weight other than what there cars oil cap said. Example is you want 10-30 your cap says 5-30
>declined anyone that wanted a 19.95$ oil change when their car required 0w20 or it absolutely needed synthetic example any GM DEXOS or BMW Mercedes Benz
>declined cars for not being able to drive properly example is had this guy come in with a 5speed Subaru and 1st gear was where 2nd was supposed to be
>declined cars with no oil caps
>declined cars with broken dipsticks or missing
Also I'm white. Sperglord.

Oh I know. I worked at TLE for a year and a half before I went to Honda. I know the prices and what oil they use and everything.
I still visit my old Walmart employer. Everyone I walk in my boss breaks down in tears and hugs me. I miss working there sometimes. I had a huge going away party when I left. I was loved deeply

The bmw is easy mode. Just pour in exactly 7 quarts and it always registers perfect on the computer.

Walmart wanted everyone to check it by dipstick. No dipstick no service.
We did service one like that there once. My manager did it.

There are plenty of reasons to use a different weight oil. For example I live in Texas, so the temperature never goes below 30 F even in the winter. There's never an opportunity for 5 weight oil to be useful so it's better to have 10 weight so the oil's closer to the right viscosity for the current temperature when you start it, causing less wear on startup. I run 10w30 in all my cars and they always run better on startup than when I first got them and they had 5w30 from the last owner.

>taking your car to be serviced at Walmart
>taking a German car, no less
im always amazed by how cheap people can be when it comes to their cars.

>>declined cars for not being able to drive properly example is had this guy come in with a 5speed Subaru and 1st gear was where 2nd was supposed to be

So you declined him becuase he had a dogleg transmission?

this is the same demographic that drives their 40-100k german car through a touchless automatic wash

I'm going to buy one. I'm always worried I'll strip it one day

He can't drive one properly, he's mentally challenged, he sure as fuck isn't going to know what the fuck you're talking about.

>There's never an opportunity for 5 weight oil to be useful so it's better to have 10 weight so the oil's closer to the right viscosity for the current temperature when you start it

The Xw value is a measure of the viscosity at cold startup. The lower the number here, the thinner and closer to operating viscosity it is at startup. The second number is the value of thickness at operating temperature. Again, the higher the number, the thicker it is.

A 0w50 oil is closer to it's operating viscosity at cold startup than a 10w30. The absolute only reason not to run the lowest Xw rated oil you can get--other than availability--is because they require more viscosity modifiers in the mixture, and therefore the life of the oil is shorter.

you won't if you aren't an idiot.

you aren't an idiot, right?

No I'm an idiot

Also way more convenient. Put a hose on it and you wont even get oil on your fingers

That's the thing though, I never have cold starts. It hasn't gotten below 70 here in months. Thinner oil is worse at being a lubricant, especially when the engine is warmer.

>Put a hose on it and you wont even get oil on your fingers

I was just about to have a sperg attack, I thought you meant like, hooking up a fucking garden hose to it and running the water to wash the oil out.

Jesus, some dip shit has probably done it.

He didn't have a dogleg tranny it was a legacy 2001 his stick wouldn't stay in neutral I tapped it with my finger and it moved itself to fifth gear. Syncros were fucked linkage was fucked. It had 300K mules on it too.
I know what a dog leg tranny is retard Subaru's don't have them.
No excuse. Northern California.
You only get what your cap says at Walmart

You won't strip shit if your drain plug it torqued to spec

It isn't thinner oil. Oil thins out as it heats up. A 5w30 and 10w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp, except the 10w30 will start out thicker and less lubricious.

what if the oil cap dosent say anything, engine bay stickers don't specify and the owners manual isn't there?

do you guys just shit your pants and say nopenopenope?

That car takes 5w30 good try though.
We have oil weight logs stupid Ass.

?!

so why don't you say arbitrarily "we only fill X cars with Y oil, period" rather than saying "you only get what your cap says at walmart" ?

engine swapped vehicle.

96 civic, unknown engine swap WHAT DO YOU DO?!

We do but people Bitch and say "it's my car" blah blah blah. Had one guy come in once had a 2004 Tahoe. 5w30 on the cap. Dude scratched off the 5 so it said w30 and he wanted 30 weight oil in it. He was late 50's I declined him and told him to do his own oil change then . He left pissed. I didn't care.

Unknown engine swap? Looks like a k20a2. So that's 5w30. I know what all Honda's require and everything

We didn't do engine swapped cars either had an eg hatch come in with a b18c1 swap from a gsr instant decline. Also his drain plug was stripped.

its an K20A3, look at the plastic intake manifold. Those take 5W20

What about the random S2000 that rolls in with an aftermarket oil cap?

Why would you take your car to a fucking Wal-Mart of all places for an oil change if you spent the time and money to swap it.

Couldn't quite see it. S2000 take 10w30 all of them do. Keep in mind I don't work at Walmart anymore I went to Honda after Walmart

the example would be buying a swapped vehicle off craigslist and having the owner not nessessarly know/remember what engine is in there. Not everybody out there is a car guy/girl

realistically nobody should take an S2000 to wal-mart for an oil change but the wal-marts in Toronto are all mr lubes now. I wouldn't be surprised to see an S2000 roll into a mr lube.

My drain hole faces down so a futomo valve would break off.

Good man, that's the number I was looking for.

but why straight up decline engine swaps? B and D's for oil changes aren't overly different.

Not-carfags avoid anything that's modified, like they should really

>decline cars for fumoto valves
Why?

Honestly man it wasn't me. It's Walmart's policy that we had to follow.

Not factory equipment
Why else?

So? It's not like you can damage anything using one if you're going at it from a liability angle. In fact you'd be LESS likely to damage something since there are no threads to strip. The tire side at my TLE never declines anything with aftermarket or different OEM wheels, as long as we have the right tire size for the wheel. That's money you're losing out on for a bullshit reason to both parties if you decline it.

What happens if you get a car with an engine swap but it's not readily apparent that it's swapped? Plenty of people have turbo swapped Legacy GTs like mine and they look factory, as well as the earlier and later GTs actually being turbocharged from the factory. They take the same oil weight and have the same drain plug, even.

>Also you know highschool kids can't work at shops right?

Bullshit, I worked doing oil changes and tires in high school.

Once again not me Walmart fag Walmart's policy. Also I don't care about losing out on money it's the corporation it wasn't me so your argument is invalid.
The 80s don't count boomer

Friend is a mechanic and has a high school diploma and some cert

What's your point.
I'm a mechanic and I have no certs or diploma

>instant decline
>Also his drain plug was stripped.
How did you know the plug was stripped if you declined it instantly?

kek

because he stripped it

Had one of my lowered S2K. Made changing the oil much easier, didn't even have to get under the car. So that's cool, I guess.

I argued with my boss that it was fine it was swapped. Went down there to loosen it up and it was fucked. Oh well.

F.U. Moto! F.U!

Same

And my oil pan is already the closest thing to the ground

Then you're not a mechanic.

What if the oil recommendation was changed?

My accord says 5w30 on the cap but they recommend 5w20 on the same engine.

Titles don't determine skill, kid.

It just looks like a ball valve. Built right, they last longer than the equipment they're attached to.

You could probably find something in a hardware store that would do just this.

Stancefags who use Fumoto valves would be full and complete retards.

im not a mechanic huh? okay kid.
>mfw i work here at pic related.

use what the cap says or consult your owners manual. and whos "they"?

Honda. Exact same engine 98 to 02. 5w30 on oil cap on 98/99 and 5w20 on 00-02.

Go to dealership they put 5w20 in.

had one on my WRX
i used it twice and then removed the whole valve after I drained it the third time. there was still crap left in the pan that came out so I just went back to my usual copper washer/ drain plug combo

Got one on my corrola. Highly reccomend if you do your own oil.

>I worked at Walmart as a oil changer

>This is better than working with your dad at his established shop

>Well I decline them in the past.
what was your justification for declining service?

they probably put 5w20 in because they were lazy. honda has 0w20 and 5w20 in the guns. for 5w30 cars they have to pump it into an oilcan and then pour it or they have to get individual bottles from parts. my honda that i worked t we had to get bottles fromn parts. i have tons of left over oil sitting in my garage from when i worked there. i have enough for like 7 oil changes its pretty dope.

checked.
and i was following walmarts policy you would know if you read my previous posts.
>implying i said it was better

You're fucking retarded

>Paying real money for a piece of paper that shows you can solve riddles

Sometimes the manufacture realizes they made a mistake and changes the recommendation. Ford has done it.

>only get what your cap says.
How do you know where I'm going and what my car needs for the climate there?

Glad you got fired.

didnt get fired lmfao
everyone in this thread acts like i made the rules at walmart. like i stated previously multiple times i was following the policy.
ignorance is bliss

A mistake? No they re-qualify the car with EPA in a test scenario and if the individual test achieves a 0.000002% increase in FE used to calculate CAFE with 5w20 vs 5w30 then that's legally what they have to recommend. For no other reason do they make the new recommendation bc literally nothing else matters.

>could decline cars for any reason I wanted too and I did
>wanted
Damage control

>retard

Nice one

Getting the drainbolt off is the least time consuming part of the whole process for an oil change. I'll pass.

When lefty loosy righty tighty is just too difficult: the fumoto drain valve

Thanks for showing me this op

First time I went to change my oil I rounded the plug with my ratchet and had to order in a new plug, gave up.

The thing that worries me about these things is that they're hanging off the bottom of the car, which means all kinds of shit could get into them and clog them up. Otherwise I think they're a good idea, especially if you have a drain plug that's protected by a skidplate or whatever.

Most BMWs have dipsticks lmao

As someone who was a lube tech at a chain shop I can tell you we would but conventional in half the time regardless of what you paid for as it was the easiest to get and we were so underpaid we didn't give two fucks about your car

You're a fool for not thinking of the human element behind chain shops

Man, this is exactly why I won't let those chain shops touch my car.

I'll go to the dealer if I'm in a pinch, because at least I know they'll put the right shit in since they don't want to get fucked if I make a warranty claim.

Newer ones past E90 don't

I bring in my own oil for this reason. I can see the dude using my jug of oil. Plus I rather pay $20 for a jug of Pennzoil synthetic than $99 for their shitty "synthetic".

Dealers hire almost anyone for lube positions, but it's mainly the area you're in.

It just depends on the general work ethic of the area as I've seen first hand some dealer tech cutting as many corners a possible to turn hours leaving you with an unknown botched job

Had a dealer tech drill holes when installing a winch when he simply had the plate upside down thinking it was the wrong part and just wanted to "make it work"

Fuck outsourcing oil changes. My precious drain plugs don't get overtorqued by some chimp, and I get to see what the oil looks like at every change.

I've seen enough fuckups from "the pros" that I learned to do all my own wrenching, except alignments since I don't have a rack.

Oh yeah, I'm not implying dealer lube techs are anywhere above trained monkeys, but at least the management (at least at my dealer) forces them to use the right oil if it's a car that's still under warranty.

A touchless wash is a step up from a regular automated car wash